PDA

View Full Version : Theatrical use issues...

The Wingnut
04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey, folks...

I'm a member of a small informal group that holds a yearly event in San Francisco.

We have a skit during the event involving blank fire weapons. Some of them are non-gun stage replicas that fire 8 mm blanks, some are blank-adapted firearms, some are actual live firearms using crimp or stage blanks.

We're planning for our third year, and a lot of legality questions are being put on the table. We've run the event without any issues thus far, but we'd like to make sure everything's above board and nobody ends up in jail or court for something that could have been easily avoided.

What sort of permit might we need, if any, for a theatrical presentation using the above mentioned items? We've already talked to the SFPD and they've had uniformed officers in the building at the event, just to check up on us, without issue.

We don't want to run afoul of CA DOJ or BATFE. We'd like to use a few loaner blank adapted SMGs from an acquaintance that does film / TV weapons wrangler work. This is the major issue. We'd really like to light the place up with a Thompson, but don't want to break any laws.

timdps
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
We don't want to run afoul of CA DOJ or BATFE. We'd like to use a few loaner blank adapted SMGs from an acquaintance that does film / TV weapons wrangler work. This is the major issue. We'd really like to light the place up with a Thompson, but don't want to break any laws.

If I remember correctly...
Seems to me that if the person loaning the (assumed full auto) guns has a Theatrical gun permit/license (or whatever its called), he is required to to be present at the location that the guns are loaned when they are being loaned. If he has such a license he should know the regulations regarding loaning them out (and using them in San Francisco...)

tim

The Wingnut
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds about right. Any idea where I can actually find the law on the books regarding this?

Any idea on the other stuff?

The Wingnut
04-20-2009, 4:29 PM
Bumping this...can anyone point me in the right direction with regard to the penal code and theatrical use?

The Wingnut
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Just an update, I managed to find the Entertainment Firearms Permit (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/epp.php) on my own. If anyone can provide some extended info on how this thing works, I'd appreciate it.