PDA

View Full Version : Who owns a 617 10 shot, and how do you like it?

PutTogether
04-14-2009, 2:02 AM
The more detail as to how you feel about it, and why you feel that way, the better.

Sheldon
04-14-2009, 2:43 AM
I've got one and like it a lot. I'm glad I got it when I did with what prices they are going for nowadays along with the price of ammo. I actually have a 6 shooter version that is pre-mim and lock, but I shoot the 10 shooter mostly and it is an mim lock model. Trigger isn't as smooth as its centerfire brethren, but work well enough. I'm hoping it will smooth up with more use. I think I paid $400 for the 6-shooter and $425 for the 10-shot.

wellfedirishman
04-15-2009, 6:02 PM
The 617 10 shot is a great target gun. Get a used one if you can as the action will be smoother than a new one, since (hopefully) it will have been shot a lot.

It is super accurate even with cheapo ammo. It is very easy to mount a scope on if you are so inclined. Mine has a 4x scope and will chew up targets at 25 yards.

It is pretty heavy so if you want a lighter gun consider the 4 inch model.

Joe Register
04-21-2009, 2:09 PM
This is a fun gun to shoot. As mentioned above, it is nose heavy with the long barrell/small diameter bore/full length lug. It well help build your forearm strength and is good practice for firing double action. Mine came with a heavy, slightly gritty trigger new. So heavy I couldn't shoot it accurately DA. Trip back to Smith and now it is great. Definately a keeper. Mine also has the retarded Clinton lock. There are earlier versions without it but not sure if earlier 10 shot. I think so, but not positive.

nikki#2
04-22-2009, 8:15 PM
I picked up this near-new 617 4" 10-shot off S&W Forums 6 months ago, including the Kim Ahrends grips. The trigger was too heavy and gritty for my taste, so I took the plunge, ordered Wolff's Performance Pak and cracked open the sideplate. I will admit it was a bit intimidating as a first-timer… Luckily I had a knowledgeable friend showing me the ropes.

I was feeling lucky, so I opted for the 13lb. Rebound Spring in Wolff’s Performance Pak. It’s tricky to get that little spring into that housing just right to tighten it down! I’m sure there’s a more elegant trick to get it in there, but I got the job done on my 3rd or 4th attempt. I then decided to roll the dice and install the Wolff Mainspring as well. My friend was an apprentice to a master gunsmith, so I let him stone ever so slightly where we detected a bit of grittiness in the DA pull…

W-H-O-A Dude !!! Just insert a pic of my 617 in Webster’s Dictionary for the definition of ‘Smooooooothness’. And it felt even better after 2K dry fires w/ snap caps.

My heart sank when I finally got her to the range. I experienced 40-70% FTF with the mainspring screw tightened completely down with several different brands of ammo. I figured I would need to swap out the Wolff Mainspring for the original until I found this very informative post with pics: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=423269 The screw from Home Depot proved to be a winner, and I’m now getting 100% reliability.

Loving my 617 and having a blast shooting her as often as I can.
I've got a new favorite gun!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/617-2-1.jpg

wellfedirishman
04-22-2009, 9:36 PM
Nikki #2, thanks for the info. I was having the same problem with mine with the Wolff reduced power spring, so I ordered the regular Wolff spring. I have yet to install it to test it.

That set screw tip is great.

SmithAndJohnson
04-22-2009, 11:14 PM
I have a 6" 10-shot. It was my first gun and - 10 guns later - the only one I am 100% positive I will never sell under any circumstances.

As a few others have said, yes it's a tad heavy. But I'm a strong guy, it doesn't bother me. My petite girlfriend can only go through 60-or-so rounds before having to take a rest. But every time we go to the range, she shoots those 60. Its her favorite, too. :)

The trigger started out rough but thousands of rounds later it's crazy smooth. Eats up any ammo.

I can shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards with Federal bulk ammo. The limitation is most definitely me, not the gun. I just got the weaver scope mount and can't wait to try it this weekend.

There is one MUST HAVE accessory for a 10-shot 617 that no one has mentioned yet:
http://ds10speed.spaces.live.com/

Get a speedloader and a handful of loading blocks. I always hit the range with 240 rounds ready to go and it's pretty zen to load the blocks the night before in front of the tv.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

johnny_22
04-23-2009, 9:31 AM
Love it. With Iron sight, I shoot at Metcalf's 50 yard line hitting the paper, standing.

I have little 10 round speed loaders for it, and have shot "Tyro" division (6 shots, reload, 6 shots in 20 seconds) at 7 yards.

I recommend it as a first gun to everyone.

PutTogether
04-23-2009, 9:19 PM
those speed loaders are neat! I think I want one of these.....

SmithAndJohnson
04-23-2009, 9:47 PM
those speed loaders are neat! I think I want one of these.....

I'll help you out. If you *think* you want one of these now... you won't be able to resist it in the end. May as well start shopping now. :cool: