PDA

View Full Version : Spare Barrel?

insin
04-14-2009, 1:08 AM
There is so much madness out there with hoarding of various AR15 parts, or any firearm for that purpose, I was just wondering if anyone has branched out to investing in a NIB replacement barrel or two? I understand that it takes a long while/high round count for a quality barrel to be "shot out", but If guys are buying 5 LPK at a time for future use, I'm sure the idea of an extra barrel is not too far fetched/far behind.

I was just wondering...

NSR500
04-14-2009, 1:19 AM
My AR's have 4 spare barrels, my FAL's have 4 spares, and my HK's have 2 spares. I've got enough spares to keep my firearms running. I just need some other parts to complete builds.

*Before anyone PMs me; NO, they are not for sale.

dchang0
04-14-2009, 1:51 PM
I wouldn't hoard them, but it's nice to have one spare AR barrel for all my ARs, in case any one of them goes down. Carrying more spares would be like having a full set of spare tires on one's car/truck at all times--there might come a time when they'll come in handy, but the expense of having to carry that many spare spares all the time is too great. It's like being over-insured.

technique
04-14-2009, 1:57 PM
*Before anyone PMs me; NO, they are not for sale.

haha I have thought about putting that in my sig line myself.:thumbsup:

BillyGoatMachine
04-14-2009, 2:00 PM
I've only got one that came off my MRP when I upgraded to the piston kit. Hoarding extra barrels seems a bit extreme unless you shoot thousands of rounds a month. For most people it shouldn't be an issue.

Pryde
04-14-2009, 2:57 PM
I've only got one that came off my MRP when I upgraded to the piston kit. Hoarding extra barrels seems a bit extreme unless you shoot thousands of rounds a month. For most people it shouldn't be an issue.

A 16" chrome lined M4 barrel will "wear out" in about 5-7k rounds depending on your firing schedule. You will notice a decrease in reliability due to the gas port being eroded by the hot gasses which leads to overgassing and increased bolt velocity (this can be "band-aided" by using a H buffer or H2 buffer), you will also notice a big decrease in accuracy past 200 yards.

If you can live with these two factors you could probably keep shooting it until it fails to headspace.

FWIW I have worn out a barrel before (Colt 16" M4) and it was at around the 7k mark.

Jonathan Doe
04-14-2009, 4:04 PM
I have a Krieger match M-1A barrel and an AR-15 barrel. Plus, I have 2 1-11" twist bull barrel blanks for 30 cal rifles.

TMC
04-14-2009, 4:52 PM
A 16" chrome lined M4 barrel will "wear out" in about 5-7k rounds depending on your firing schedule.

5-7K in a semi-auto?

I had a stainless JP barrel that shot ok up to about 10K and then went away but I'm sure I screwed up the throat by using a chamber brush on a drill motor. My buddies JP has far more than 10K and it still shoots under 2" at 200 yards. One of my rifles with 14.5 chromed lined Bushmaster has well over 10K rounds and it shoots as good as it did when new. I've only cleaned it twice since I bought it back in 1998, maybe thats the secret to long barrel life.

As for having a spare barrel, I'd rather have a spare rifle.

Pryde
04-14-2009, 5:19 PM
5-7K in a semi-auto?

I had a stainless JP barrel that shot ok up to about 10K and then went away but I'm sure I screwed up the throat by using a chamber brush on a drill motor. My buddies JP has far more than 10K and it still shoots under 2" at 200 yards. One of my rifles with 14.5 chromed lined Bushmaster has well over 10K rounds and it shoots as good as it did when new. I've only cleaned it twice since I bought it back in 1998, maybe thats the secret to long barrel life.

As for having a spare barrel, I'd rather have a spare rifle.

I'm referring to barrel life regarding a chrome lined barrel, a stainless barrel is a different beast altogether. Chrome lined barrels tend to lose accuracy more gradually, whereas a stainless barrel will shoot great for a long time and then one day you will start getting keyholes out of nowhere because your barrel has been shot out. The 5k figure is what the military rates for the barrel life of a M4 carbine, I would assume that figure is mostly from semi-auto fire since using a rifle on full auto in the military is somewhat uncommon.

In addition, what had happened to me is the chrome lining started to flake off near the throat of my barrel. This was not noticeable when the barrel was still attached to the upper due to the distance between my eyeball and the chamber but once the barrel had been removed, the damage was very apparent. The barrel still shot great under 200 yards, I had just wanted to swap it out due to the round count and noticed this damage after the fact.

Like I said already, if you aren't shooting past 200 you won't really notice a difference in accuracy for a chrome lined barrel. The main thing to consider is that in a carbine length gas system, your gas port is going to erode at a much faster rate than a midlength or a rifle length system which is the reason why I personally would ditch it after 7-8k. Which is pretty much my rationalization for having spare barrels.

I would agree that for the average shooter who will put fewer than 500 rounds through the rifle in its lifetime, there is really no reason to need spares.

dchang0
04-14-2009, 5:53 PM
Yeesh, 5k-7k is coming up a lot faster than I'd like. But hey, this is my chance to upgrade to a nicer one sooner!

X-NewYawker
04-14-2009, 6:05 PM
I'd stock up on LPKs and an extra BCG. I don't mind the accuracy going to hell when SHTF, but if the gun can't fire, i'd be el-screwo'ed.

insin
04-16-2009, 12:10 AM
I'd stock up on LPKs and an extra BCG. I don't mind the accuracy going to hell when SHTF, but if the gun can't fire, i'd be el-screwo'ed.

I would imagine if one were contemplating having a spare barrel on hand, then LPKs and BCGs would have already been covered. I could be wrong though...

1moa@500
04-16-2009, 1:35 AM
I just bought 4000 bullets I hope I dont shoot them too fast:thumbsup:

Blacktail 8541
04-16-2009, 7:41 AM
I've had spare barrels in the past. They all turned into spare rifles.

I really need to look into getting a couple of spare barrels and leaveing them in that condition. Spares!

J_Rock
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Spare barrel = baby AR

I doubt anyone can shoot out a barrel these days on their own dime. Talking about chrome lined barrels, they will last in excess of 15,000+ rounds in slow fire semi-auto depending on your accuracy requirements.

A 16" chrome lined M4 barrel will "wear out" in about 5-7k rounds depending on your firing schedule. You will notice a decrease in reliability due to the gas port being eroded by the hot gasses which leads to overgassing and increased bolt velocity (this can be "band-aided" by using a H buffer or H2 buffer), you will also notice a big decrease in accuracy past 200 yards.

If you can live with these two factors you could probably keep shooting it until it fails to headspace.

FWIW I have worn out a barrel before (Colt 16" M4) and it was at around the 7k mark.

WHAT!?

Were you doing lots of mag dumps or something? There is no way you could wear out a barrel that quickly unless you were dumping rounds through the gun without pause.

SCMA-1
04-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I've burned out several AR barrels; like one of the previous poster said, it really depends on your manner of usage and rate of fire. If you only go to a public target range and shoot 10 rds slow fire at a time through your de-nutted, bullet button equipped drone, then yes, your barrel will probably last longer then you will own the thing. If you use your weapon mostly for "social" encounter training where your forearms often get almost too hot to hold and the parkerizing on your barrel turns white through high rates of fire and multiple and rapid magazine changes, then your barrel will last well below the 10K mark.

SCMA-1

1BigPea
04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Where's the best place to pick up a spare barrel?