PDA

View Full Version : RRA vs. Stag

Paul-K
04-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Greetings.

I'm finally ready to jump in the world of AR-15's I'm looking at:

Rock River Arms - Entry Tactical (or at least a stripped lower)

OR

Stag - Model 2 (Right handed) (or at least a stripped lower)

Does anyone have an opinion which way to go, I do see that Stag offers a lifetime warranty, I also realize that Mil-Spec is Mil-Spec and all that but then there's the real world experience...

Please feel free to give me your opinion and/or experiences with these brands.

Cheers,

Paul-K

wildcard
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Things usually fit tighter with RRA.

Henry47
04-13-2009, 11:09 PM

sounds sexy

:thumbsup:

HK Dave
04-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Both awesome!

MAybe you'll end up with both?

RRA has a lifetime warranty as well.

asoffa
04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I have one of each and neither have been an issue

Wildhawk66
04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I like the RRA finish slightly better, but I'm picky. Never had any function problems with anything from either company.

Pvt. Cowboy
04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Stag has the scary forest animal on the side.

glock_this
04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Been impressed with all my RRA gear from day 1 - and I am no pro mind you - but never had an issue and I have numerous parts (chrome lined barrel on their tactical upper, national match trigger, etc) of theirs and would buy again from them in questions asked. from what I know, they have a pretty solid name.

FWIW, there is a guy on AR15.com - legaltransfers - that had the best prices bar none at the time I bought for all RRA gear. if someone here cannot help you with RRA stuff, he is still there and selling.

SDspearo
04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
+1 for leagaltansfers. Great guy to do business with. If you can wait he still has some of the best prices around.

Vtec44
04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
I have a complete rifles from each company and both have never failed me. RRA trigger seems a bit lighter though, and both rifles have just a standard single stage setup.

1*mike
04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
why not Colt??? Cost?

Fitz87
04-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a stag 20 inch HBAR upper on my spikes lower. Stag is good but if I were you I would go with RRA, my stag has issues feeding wolf ammo and I've heard from many other stag owners that they have the same problem. My stag also doesnt really have a perfect fit with the lower so it kind of rattles a bit, but I put in an accuwedge and now the upper and lower fit tightly.

If you have no intentions of shooting wolf ammo though then it probably doesnt matter which upper you choose.

lrdchivalry
04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I have a stag 20 inch HBAR upper on my spikes lower. Stag is good but if I were you I would go with RRA, my stag has issues feeding wolf ammo and I've heard from many other stag owners that they have the same problem. My stag also doesnt really have a perfect fit with the lower so it kind of rattles a bit, but I put in an accuwedge and now the upper and lower fit tightly.

If you have no intentions of shooting wolf ammo though then it probably doesnt matter which upper you choose.

My 2 Stag rifles use both a Stag upper and lower and they are a tight fit with no rattling, I also do not have any problem shooting Wolf ammo. All the problems I have seen with wolf ammo have been with the steel cased ammo. Try the premium ammo with the brass casings. In my opinion Stag is a great rifle.

TZL
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Both Stag and RRA are good to go !

yakmon
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
my stag has had no problems eating all the wolf i could feed it, over 1500 rnds

matarlegoate
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I like the RRA finish slightly better, but I'm picky. Never had any function problems with anything from either company.

Funny, when I was looking to buy I checked out like 5 different makes side-by-side. I think RRA was the brand I liked LEAST. The RRA just didn't seem as well finished as the rest. In the end I ended up with two Stag and one CMMG lower. Either way though, you can't really go wrong with either brand.

As far as the deer on the side- I don't mind it. It is a hunting rifle after all. :rolleyes:

sierrawoodsman
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I faced the same issu about 4 moths ago. I ended up buying one of each. I am still building them up but the rra seems to be tighter with most uppers i have seen. Both are a good choice though.

tmuller
04-14-2009, 1:01 PM
Never had any complaints about either brand...that being said I prefer Stag between the two. I think I like the little deer...

stag6.8
04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I prefer the stag over RRA....the only thing I admit that I did not like about stag is that thier uppers dont come with M4 feed ramps.....BUT....I went to randall at ar15barrels.com and had them added....simple fix:thumbsup:

Joe
04-17-2009, 1:16 PM
Go with the stag.

Not trying to spread fud, but...

Isn't it not recommended to have a rra upper attached to a rra lower because of the possibility it might be considered a listed AW?

Jicko
04-17-2009, 1:30 PM
OP: if you want a RRA upper, PLEASE DO NOT go with an RRA lower..... most of the complete RRA rifles are on the LIST.... so, go with someone else's lower receivers

Stag vs RRA... I personally found that RRA is of better quality... so I would recommend you to get the RRA upper that you like... and just go buy any other OLL, BUT RRA...

socomIInato
04-17-2009, 1:47 PM
still waiting for my stag to show up:(so i can torture it:53:

Vtec44
04-17-2009, 2:03 PM
OP: if you want a RRA upper, PLEASE DO NOT go with an RRA lower..... most of the complete RRA rifles are on the LIST.... so, go with someone else's lower receivers

Why is it since the one on the Kasler ban list are Rock River Arms and the RRA lower models are marked LAR-15?

supersonic
04-17-2009, 3:52 PM

^^^+100% I have both types of AR's. I love them both, but the obvious nod goes to RockRiver. No Question.:cool:

Paul-K
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Well I went with what was reasonably available and that was Stag, I got a stripped Stag lower for $149.00, the Stag LPK for $95.00 and a Stag complete upper Model 2H for $680.00. Tactical butt stock complete for $75, bullet button for $12.00 and a 20 rd fixed to 10 rd by C-Products for $24.00, and an Eotech 516.A65/1 for $388.00, and I even got Hogue pistol grip for $20.00 I should be building my rifle this Saturday, testing on Sunday at the range as I already had a stockpile of 2000 Remmington .223 ammo. I'm sure if I got a good deal or not at $1453.00 but I'm happy and excited to build it and shoot it and that's all that matters to me.

Thanks to all for your insight and opinions, they sincerely helped!

Paul-K

Now if I can just find an RRA 2 stage match trigger, oh well all in good time...

gn3hz3ku1*
04-28-2009, 8:24 AM
ford or GM?