PDA

View Full Version : UOC why?

john-e-ringo
04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm looking for an education, in a sense. What good is UNLOADED open carry in Kalifornia?

I mean, come on...if it isn't loaded, then what's the point?

Ideally, loaded...ready to go...open carry. right?

Nanook
04-13-2009, 10:46 PM
There are plenty of threads here on the subject as well as their own forum site.

But if you are addressing the self defense aspect, you do know that people who UOC have full magazines on their belt, too, right? I'm far from a master at it, but even I can draw, insert a mag and rack in probably under 1.5 seconds.

MSL209
04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
IMO UOC is a flex of our rights. As far as the unloaded part (unless I am mistaken) that is the legal restriction on open carry. No point in having that restriction, but what ever. If you think about it tho, if you were in a situation that you might need to use your weapon against say a "active shooter" no matter what you would probably seek cover then draw your weapon if you were allowed to carry a loaded weapon. In the case of UOC you would seek cover then load your mag and be ready to go.

john-e-ringo
04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
There are plenty of threads here on the subject as well as their own forum site.

But if you are addressing the self defense aspect, you do know that people who UOC have full magazines on their belt, too, right? I'm far from a master at it, but even I can draw, insert a mag and rack in probably under 1.5 seconds.

I recognize that there are plenty of threads (and even a complete site) dedicated to this question. I just had a sudden urge to ask Calgunners...even though it may have been discussed in length.

Your opinion/experience is exactly the feedback for which I'm looking. I have read numerous accounts of UOC and I'm impressed by your ability to unload/load your weapon, under pressure, with such great efficiency.

I am trying to get an idea of what would work for me. Too broad a question, maybe.

Thanks for your feedback. What kind of weapon are you using and obtaining 1.5 seconds unload/reload?

pullnshoot25
04-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I recognize that there are plenty of threads (and even a complete site) dedicated to this question. I just had a sudden urge to ask Calgunners...even though it may have been discussed in length.

Your opinion/experience is exactly the feedback for which I'm looking. I have read numerous accounts of UOC and I'm impressed by your ability to unload/load your weapon, under pressure, with such great efficiency.

I am trying to get an idea of what would work for me. Too broad a question, maybe.

Thanks for your feedback. What kind of weapon are you using and obtaining 1.5 seconds unload/reload?

Any decent semi-auto will work. My revolver takes a bit longer and my Makarov is kind of a pain to OC because the holster I have for it is more of a CC holster. Can't wait to get my BHP on my hip (gotta buy and register the damned thing first, which means I have to get a job, AAAAAGH!)

KylaGWolf
04-13-2009, 11:20 PM
lol PNS I got to buy a holster for the HK that is comming home the 22nd.

Here is something to remember on UOC. There are classes that teach you how to pull and load your weapon in a matter of seconds. In which case you for some reason HAD to act you could in a fast enough matter that the gun being unloaded is a moot point.

Nanook
04-13-2009, 11:49 PM
If I were to UOC, I'd carry my Springfield XD .40 4" Service Model. There is no unloading involved. 1.5 seconds is actually not that impressive a time. "One one thousand, two one..." I have no doubt that there are people out there who could draw gun and mag, insert mag and rack the slide in well under a second, probably 1/2 a second.

This guy is dropping his mag, drawing another one and inserting it in the blink of an eye, for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJVoc5uJ2e4

artherd
04-14-2009, 2:13 AM
Right now, "rubbing it in their face" is a very bad idea. There is a legislative concept and another separate Assembly Bill, to BAN UOC in circulation right now.

The black panthers got LOC banned and gave us PC12031 when they "rubbed it in our faces".

After we get the Heller decision incorporated via Nordyke that will change - and then it will be [b]time to rub it in their faces[/i]. Should happen in less than a year.

I'd ask that anyone interested please refrain from UOC in the meantime.

Decoligny
04-14-2009, 8:22 AM
I'd ask that anyone interested please refrain from UOC in the meantime.

I will agree to refrain from UOC as much as possible.

So, I will continue to LOC in and around my neighborhood and my town. I will limit my UOC to those times when I have to go into LA County, or into an incorporated city.

wildhawker
04-14-2009, 8:26 AM
:banghead:

MudCamper
04-14-2009, 9:23 AM
I'm looking for an education, in a sense. What good is UNLOADED open carry in Kalifornia?

I mean, come on...if it isn't loaded, then what's the point?

Ideally, loaded...ready to go...open carry. right?

I'll quote the CaliforniaOpenCarry.org (http://www.californiaopencarry.org/) FAQ:

Why Open Carry?

There are many reasons to Open Carry, and often the discussion becomes a philosophical debate betwteen the merits of Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry. However, in California these discussions are moot, since California is not a Shall-Issue CCW state, and most residents cannot get a concealed carry permit.

Therefore, in California, there are three main reasons to Open Carry:

- For those choosing to carry a firearm for self-defense, it is the only legal means available.
- As a form of legal civil protest of unconstitutional firearms laws and CCW issuance policies.
- As a form of firearms community diplomacy, to dispel the myth that only cops and criminals carry guns, and to help reintroduce the general public and the law enforcement community to the reality that ordinary peaceful law-abiding citizens possess, use, and carry firearms.

Additional universal reasons to Open Carry:

- To exercise one's right.
- As a visible deterrent to crime.
- OC is often more comfortable than CC, and offers more ready access.

What good is an unloaded gun?

Obviously, not much. However, with a little practice, one can easily load a handgun in under 2 seconds.

artherd
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I will agree to refrain from UOC as much as possible.

So, I will continue to LOC in and around my neighborhood and my town. I will limit my UOC to those times when I have to go into LA County, or into an incorporated city.

I am going to send you the bill for overturning AB668. (http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/AB_668) Assuming it can be overturned that is. And assuming the nastier legislative concept doesn't get enacted as well.

Prop H came to well over half a million. Can you write a check?

pullnshoot25
04-14-2009, 1:01 PM
I am going to send you the bill for overturning AB668. (http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/AB_668) Assuming it can be overturned that is. And assuming the nastier legislative concept doesn't get enacted as well.

Artherd, my opinion on this matter might just be coincidental in nature but I think that AB668 was in motion long before any of the bigger OC events or notoriety came about and here is why; in talking with Ted Lieu's lackey up in Sacramento, I found that the idea for this bill originated in LA to "aid in prosecuting drug dealers near our schools." Coincidentally, don't you find it interesting that the LASD memo quoted the school zone limit as being 1500' and quoting 626.9 instead of some BS municipal code?

Again, maybe it is coincidence but still thought-provoking.

joeyriv
04-14-2009, 1:05 PM
Pullnshoot, that's a darn good point. I didn't even think of that but it is definitely a little fishy the way the memo came out like that.

Decoligny
04-14-2009, 1:10 PM

And I suppose you would like that made out to "CASH" :sleeping: