PDA

View Full Version : EZ-4473

remington
04-13-2009, 6:03 PM
I was wondering if any FFL's are using the online EZ-4473? I have played with it and it seems simple and friendly. However, if I print it on white paper will that cause a issue during an inspection since the new 4473 is yellow? Should I buy yellow paper if I wanted to use the EZ version?

Thanks for your thoughts.

JeffM
04-13-2009, 6:18 PM
An FFL I know actually ran out of paper 4473s during the post election craze, so they could only use the EZ form. Didn't seem to cause any issues.

They did mention something that was kinda funny.

The paper 4473 says not to abbreviate, except for certain areas where noted.

The EZ4473 automatically abbreviates "California" to "CA" even where you're supposed to write out the full name "California" on the yellow form.

halifax
04-13-2009, 6:31 PM
An FFL I know actually ran out of paper 4473s during the post election craze, so they could only use the EZ form. Didn't seem to cause any issues.

They did mention something that was kinda funny.

The paper 4473 says not to abbreviate, except for certain areas where noted.

The EZ4473 automatically abbreviates "California" to "CA" even where you're supposed to write out the full name "California" on the yellow form.

I'm not using the EZ4473 because it seems like such a waste of paper and ink printing all the instructions (required I believe).

I have never been called on two letter state abbreviations. I was told they are fine because the feds are the one's who created them for the post office.

JeffM
04-13-2009, 6:34 PM
I'm not using the EZ4473 because it seems like such a waste of paper and ink printing all the instructions (required I believe).

I have never been called on two letter state abbreviations. I was told they are fine because the feds are the one's who created them for the post office.

I've been asked to fill out the CA, so on a couple of the 4473s I've filled out it says "CAlifornia"

remington
04-13-2009, 6:36 PM
That was one issue I had with it as well, all the instructions and definitions also print.

jksupplyco
04-13-2009, 7:56 PM
The "new" 4473 indicates that Postal Abbreviations are acceptable. The EZ-4473 is a great concept, and probably really speeds up the process in a free state where you're "in and out" ... For me, I used the printed version, theres so much freakin paperwork to fill out with DROS and all anyway, and its no where near in and out.. The "interview" style of the EZ form just seems to me to be a bit cumbersome..

rbetts
04-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I just had my interview and set-up by the ATF. The very nice inspector said that State Abbreviations are fine. White paper is OK while the shortage of forms is going on. She did say the reason the inspectors like yellow is because it makes the forms easier to find during an investigation.

She strongly suggested canary paper. AND the need to copy all pages. Seems that legally the extra pages are completely necessary.

I like the e-4473 and plan on using it since it takes a ton of the mistakes out of the equation. Paper is cheap. IMHO

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com

halifax
04-14-2009, 6:08 AM
Paper is cheap but ink/toner isn't. Duplexing is nice if it's done automatically.

I wonder if the ATF will get all pissy if the buyer adds a long gun during the ten day wait and the dealer needs to line-out and change 30A and handwrite the new information into 26-30. Or any other changes for that matter.

FortCourageArmory
04-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I temporarily ran out of the yellow forms so I used the EZ4473. It's clunky and adds time to a registration transaction, but it beats not being able to do it at all. Typing out the info rather than trying to read some of what passes for penmanship does make things a little easier. Overall, I'd prefer the paper form.

Trader Jack
04-18-2009, 9:43 PM
I was wondering if any FFL's are using the online EZ-4473? I have played with it and it seems simple and friendly. However, if I print it on white paper will that cause a issue during an inspection since the new 4473 is yellow? Should I buy yellow paper if I wanted to use the EZ version?

Thanks for your thoughts. Yellow Forms are out. They are being replaced by white forms because the paper is less expensive.:)

freakshow10mm
04-18-2009, 10:17 PM
There is no federal law stating that there can be no abbreviations.