View Full Version : Questions about Sunshades on Riflescopes

04-13-2009, 4:20 PM
I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x12-40 w/AO on my Tikka T3 LITE .308 and am thinking about putting a sunshade on it.

What are the pros/cons of sunshades?
What about length?
Bushnell list the part simply as 'Elite Sunshade' in 3" or 5". Will these fit ANY objective size or are they size specific?
Anyone know where to get them other than through bushnell?(they say 4-5 weeks for arrival)

04-13-2009, 4:28 PM
Sunshades accomplish a couple of things - first they keep the glare off your scope in direct sunlight; second they can reduce (depending on length) the mirage effect caused by the heat coming off your barrel during extended strings of fire. As to the size - they are normally made for a particular scope of series of scopes. As to yours in particular the best I can suggest is to speak with the techs at Bushnell.

04-13-2009, 4:48 PM
Unless you're going to a sniper course where you'll be doing stalking or something, I wouldn't worry about putting one on there. It does diminish the incoming light, therefore degrading quality a bit. Not really noticeable, but why put it on there if you're just plinking targets at the range?

04-13-2009, 5:30 PM
There's diminished light and diminished light.

If the shade diminishes light from the image arc of the optic, then it's vignetting, and degrading the image. If, on the other hand, the shade only diminishes light from outside the image arc of the optic, then it's suppressing flare, and improving the image.

The threshold for vignetting vs. flare suppression will depend on the length of the shade, the magnification of the optic, and the dimensions of the objective lens vs. the ID of the shade.

For 50mm Leupold scopes with 3x and higher magnifications, a 100mm (4") shade does not vignette the projected image.

04-13-2009, 6:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with a properly configured sunshade. Use one of the proper length and you'll be fine.

04-13-2009, 7:52 PM
It keeps the sun from flaring out the view through your scope when you're pointed in its general direction