PDA

View Full Version : Open carry of a long arm...Legal?

dieselpower
04-13-2009, 4:24 PM
Can you carry an unloaded rifle in public. What about carring loaded magazines for said long arm.

natedogg1777
04-13-2009, 4:32 PM
Well, assuming it's unloaded you're not in violation of PC 12025 or 12031 but I'm sure you could get nabbed for brandishing somehow. Not really my area of expertise - I'm sure those who know will chime in soon.

leitung
04-13-2009, 4:33 PM
I believe so, I also understand that you can conceal it legally as well.

But as with all firearms, they must be unloaded.

Dark&Good
04-13-2009, 4:35 PM
...and watch out for school zones :mad:

CitaDeL
04-13-2009, 6:12 PM
Can you carry an unloaded rifle in public. What about carring loaded magazines for said long arm.

The short answer is yes, it is legal to carry or posses an unloaded long arm in public.

The long arm may be loaded in unicorporated territory where discharge is not prohibited (12031). It may not be loaded inside incorporated city limits or in any discharge prohibited areas, as well as in any motor vehicle. Possession of both the long arm and the ammunition at the same time is not a crime.

The long answer involves the Federal gun free school zone law.

drdanno84
04-13-2009, 7:08 PM

drk421
04-13-2009, 7:13 PM
I wouldn't go strolling around with a long gun, especially an AK or AR. If a cop sees you, you will probably get held at gun point.

Like one of the earlier threads, don't open carry... yet. Wait for the signal.

Sandman511
04-13-2009, 7:22 PM
So does that mean I can strap an SKS, AR, AK to my back (with a locked mag) and carry it legally?? :eek:(not that I would.... but it's good to know that I can)

So would it be necessary to leave the bolt in the OPEN position? What I am asking is what could be the potential hassle about the rifle/shotgun appearing to be loaded if the empty breach is not visible?:confused:

This topic may have been covered, and sorry if it is a :dupe:, but am genuinely curious about this topic, and if I should ever open-carry I want to stay legal !!!

pullnshoot25
04-13-2009, 7:56 PM
So does that mean I can strap an SKS, AR, AK to my back (with a locked mag) and carry it legally?? :eek:(not that I would.... but it's good to know that I can)

So would it be necessary to leave the bolt in the OPEN position? What I am asking is what could be the potential hassle about the rifle/shotgun appearing to be loaded if the empty breach is not visible?:confused:

This topic may have been covered, and sorry if it is a :dupe:, but am genuinely curious about this topic, and if I should ever open-carry I want to stay legal !!!

1) Yes
2)No
3) Its ok.

sreiter
04-13-2009, 7:56 PM
info is contained in the same PC's as open carry for handgun

Sandman511
04-13-2009, 7:58 PM
Thanks Pull :thumbsup:. Short n Sweet.... I like it.

RobG
04-13-2009, 8:01 PM
Someone HAS to UOC their AR/AK pistol. That would be badazz:43:

tombinghamthegreat
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Yes legal to open carry and conceal carry a long gun with ammo. There is the school zone issue.

pullnshoot25
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Yes legal to open carry and conceal carry a long gun with ammo. There is the school zone issue.

Liberty1 and others are of the opinion that the school zone crap doesn't apply to long-guns because they are not capable of being concealed on your person according to the PC. However, the federal law you can run amok of if you get a cop that actually knows about it and decides to bust balls OR run across a federal agent with a funky disposition.

Best way to OC a long gun is to just conceal that sucker in a guitar case, methinks :)

Rudolf the Red
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
In 1998, on Halloween, I walked into downtown San Mateo dressed as an MP with the butt (no slide) of a Beretta 92 in a holster and a slung Colt Sporter complete with empty 30 rd magazine inserted. No one hassled me in any bar or on the street. Most heard comment, "Those sure look real!"

There is no way in hell I would do that now, post 9/11.

ZRX61
04-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I walk between my truck & gun stores with rifles in my hand quite often. Never had any problem, but I'm not parking 1/2 mile down the street from the gun store....

N6ATF
04-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Funny this should come up, a dispatch went out on SDPD today that the principal of Correa Middle School reported 3 young males by the school, 1 with rifle and backwards baseball cap. 5 or 6 units (usually single-man in SD) responded, looked all around. I gave up listening after they didn't find anyone and someone else apparently called to say they had left school with airsoft rifles.

pullnshoot25
04-14-2009, 1:09 AM
Funny this should come up, a dispatch went out on SDPD today that the principal of Correa Middle School reported 3 young males by the school, 1 with rifle and backwards baseball cap. 5 or 6 units (usually single-man in SD) responded, looked all around. I gave up listening after they didn't find anyone and someone else apparently called to say they had left school with airsoft rifles.

Yeah, about that....

JK, I was doing school work ;)

tombinghamthegreat
04-14-2009, 1:59 AM
Liberty1 and others are of the opinion that the school zone crap doesn't apply to long-guns because they are not capable of being concealed on your person according to the PC. However, the federal law you can run amok of if you get a cop that actually knows about it and decides to bust balls OR run across a federal agent with a funky disposition.

Best way to OC a long gun is to just conceal that sucker in a guitar case, methinks :)

That's what i figured but wonder if the federal law is even enforced but i usually have a carrying case or something similar for my rifles.