PDA

View Full Version : Flowchart re OLL / AW definitions.

eighteenninetytwo
04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I have seen it mentioned several times - where is it saved so I can print it out?
Also a Q re using a bullet button to change mags out at the range. When I do it, doesn't my AR become - for an instant, capable of accepting a Hi CAp mag and therefore feloniously illegal? What does everyone do about this? do you just wait until noone is looking or keep fingers crossed that we're all of the same mind there and you'll be oK.

Weasel
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought that too (dropping the mag creates and instant assault weapon), but the last time I took my AR to the range they made me drop the mag. and no one looked twice at me. I'm kinda curious about this as well...

ke6guj
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I have seen it mentioned several times - where is it saved so I can print it out?

The flowchart is linked at the top of every page on this forum.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Also a Q re using a bullet button to change mags out at the range. When I do it, doesn't my AR become - for an instant, capable of accepting a Hi CAp mag and therefore feloniously illegal? What does everyone do about this? do you just wait until noone is looking or keep fingers crossed that we're all of the same mind there and you'll be oK.
the law prohibits you from having a semi-auto centerfire rifle with evil features that accepts a detachable magazine. If the design of the rifle is that any magazine inserted is fixed so that it is not a detachable magazine, then it is legal even without a magazine installed. There is no constructive possession regs for AWs, so, the possibility that someone could insert a fixed-mag of 11+ rounds is not prohibited, just the act of actually doing so.

Weasel
04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks ke6guj

goober
04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
the point is that if you are using a BB (NOT a Prince-50 w/ the setscrew backed out), then even after dropping the mag (using a tool to do so), the rifle is still not capable of accepting a DETACHABLE mag. if you insert a new (or the same) mag, it will still require a tool to remove it again. therefore it is not "detachable", by definition.
there is no legal distinction b/w capability to accept a hi-cap/std cap/10 rd mag. all are the same construction where it matters. of course if you DO insert a mag capable of holding > 10 rds into your BB-equipped rifle w/ evil features, you ARE committing a crime. but the "capacity to accept" a (non-detachable) hi-cap mag is not a problem.

ETA: or in other words, what Jack said :D

rulas41
04-13-2009, 12:53 PM
most ranges are oll friendly if you have a bullet button they dont care as long as you abide by there rules a few ro (range officers) are members of calguns and know what the deal is with them what the dosent want you to do is easly drop mag out but thats cali for ya

djleisure
04-13-2009, 12:55 PM
The only way that detaching your magazine becomes illegal, is if you have the old Prince 50 "allen key" style maglock. With that one, if you backed out the screw in order to drop the mag, at that instant you no longer need a tool to drop the mag, thus rendering it an AW in CA. All other bullet-button configs (more-or-less) circumvent this action, because you ALWAYS need the tool (bullet) to drop the mag.

ETA - yeah, what those other guys said ^^^ ;)

eighteenninetytwo
04-13-2009, 2:20 PM
Thanks folks
Happy Monday.