PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: PC 626.9 and gun buy back program question

JDoe
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
UPDATE 05-04-2009 at 02:20 PM:It looks like 14 locations have been moved out of 626.9 school zones and one location has been removed completely as of May 1, 2009. It seems that someone has been reading Calguns.net and/or Calguns members (there were a few) did in fact notify various people in charge or overseeing this gun buy back including (but not confirmed) the DOJ. The gun buy back page has been updated as of May 1, 2009 and a "2009 Gun Buyback Initiative FAQs" section added.

See Post #39 for location changes and the one canceled location.

Ok so I had way too much time on my hands and after reading the CBS 2, KCAL 9 sponsoring massive LAPD gun buyback (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171695) thread started by allenst65 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=5155) commenting on the up coming gun buy back in L.A. (http://cbs2.com/misc/gun.buyback.turn.2.973552.html) on May 9, 2009 and reading comment #19 by ldivinag (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=281) that location #3 is a school... I got to wondering...

My Questions

1. Is it legal for someone to bring, for example, a pistol in a brown paper bag to a gun buy back site located in a 626.9 school zone?

2. If the person bringing the above mentioned pistol changes his mind after being offered $100.00 for his pistol can he legally leave or would he be violating 626.9 and be subject to arrest for that and other assorted charges such as carrying concealed?

3. Does anyone else see any other potential problems to having gun buy back programs set up in 626.9 school zones?

I did a little checking and most of the gun buy back sites (http://cbs2.com/misc/gun.buyback.turn.2.973552.html) appear to be in 626.9 school zones...

Location #2 is around 700 to 800 feet from Fenangeles Elementary School.

Location No. 2 - Foothill Area
El Mana Foursquare Church
12055 Wicks Way
Sun Valley, CA 91345

Fenangeles Elementary School
12001 Art St.
Sun Valley, CA 91352

Location #3 IS a School.

Location No. 3 - Mission Area
Alemany High School (Foothill Field parking lot)
11111 North Alemany Drive
Mission Hills, CA 91345

Location #4 is about 100 to 200 feet from Laurel Hall School.

Location No. 4 - North Hollywood Area
Emmanuel Lutheran Church
6020 Radford Avenue
North Hollywood, CA 91606

Laurel Hall School (http://www.laurelhall.com/)
11919 Oxnard Street

Location #5 is also known as the New Horizon Christian School.

Location No. 5 - West Valley Area
New Horizons Church
8055 Reseda Boulevard
Reseda, CA 91335

New Horizon Christian School
8055 Reseda Boulevard
Reseda, CA 91335

Location #6 could be within 1,000 feet of Pinecrest Elementary School (my maps show it to be approximately 1,056 ft. away.)

Location No. 6 - Van Nuys Area
Church on the Way
14300 Sherman Way
Van Nuys, CA 91405

Pinecrest Elementary School
14111 Sherman Way
Van Nuys, CA 91405

Location #8 Hope Chapel of the Valley is approximately 870 ft from Sunny Brae Elementary School.

Location No. 8 - Topanga Area
Hope Chapel of the Valley
7930 Mason Avenue
Canoga Park, CA 91306

Sunny Brae Elementary School
20620 Arminta St
Winnetka, CA 91306

Location No. 13 is approximately 840 ft. from the ALSC Learning Center.

Location No. 13 - Hollywood Area
5500 Sunset Blvd (Empty parking lot)
Los Angeles CA, 90028

ALSC Learning Center
1375 N St Andrews Pl
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Location No. 14 is about 450 ft. from Queen Anne Elementary School.

Location No. 14 - Wilshire Area
Queen Anne Recreation Center
1240 West Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90019

Queen Anne Elementary School
1212 Queen Anne Pl
Los Angeles, CA 90019

Location No. 17 is about 450 ft. from Holy Family Elementary School.

Location No. 17 - Harbor Area
Holy Family Church
1011 East L Street
Wilmington, CA 90744

Holy Family Elementary School
1122 E Robidoux St
Wilmington, CA 90744

Location No. 18 shows on my map as being about 50 to 100 feet from St Lawrence of Brindisi Elementary School.

Location No. 18 - Southeast Area
Saint Lawrence of Brindisi Church
10122 Compton Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90002

St Lawrence of Brindisi Elementary School
10044 Compton Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90002

Location No. 19 is about 630 feet from Nativity Elementary School.

Location No. 19 - 77th Area
Nativity Church
953 West 57th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90037

Nativity Elementary School
5516 S Vermont Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90037

Librarian
04-13-2009, 12:07 PM
That's wonderful.

No, I don't see any exemption for gun buy-backs in 626.9(c).

Perhaps you should call your local newspaper and let them ask the buy-back sponsors about this.

paintballergb
04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
IT'S A SET UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liberty1
04-13-2009, 12:11 PM
This kinda helps to shoot down the theory that CA schools are "sensitive places" (a la Heller) when non LTC folks are invited by government (LAPD no less) to possess at a school. :)

M. D. Van Norman
04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Letís round up all those pro-gun cops and have them arrest a bunch of the organizers. :whistling:

SkatinJJ
04-13-2009, 2:22 PM
626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).

(My emphasis) the school district's superintendent can allow any gun-related activity on or near school property and therefore controls someone's 2A rights within a 1000 feet of a school.

CCWFacts
04-13-2009, 2:37 PM
That's wonderful.

Yup.

No, I don't see any exemption for gun buy-backs in 626.9(c).

Yup, there isn't. All those people who walk up with guns-in-a-bag are committing felonies. The officers who receive them should arrest them; they have committed felonies in the presence of police officers.

AND PLEASE NOTE: the police cannot grant immunity to anyone. Even if they want to they can't. Immunity can only be offered by a prosecutor, so the police can make a signed and notarized statement that says, "we absolutely promise not to bust you for ß 629.9", and it has no effect at all, it's as effective as if it were signed by Bozo the Clown.

In fact the police might be exposing themselves to liability here if people get charged with these serious felonies, because the police have incited people to commit crimes, not in a legally acceptable sting operation.

That would be hilarious if some of these people came to hand in their guns, ended up in prison, and the city ended up losing millions in a court settlement. But if it gets one gun off the street, it's worth it!

ldivinag
04-13-2009, 2:50 PM
so that means, only the FBI, or maybe CHP can arrrest the local LEOs????

lol...

DDT
04-13-2009, 2:50 PM
Sounds like a great example of PRAR use. Wait until after the event and make a PRA request for letters from the school superintendents for the zones in which the Gun Buy Backs were held. Don't know what you'd do with the info until someone actually challenged 626.9 but when that time comes it would be invaluable information.

Librarian
04-13-2009, 3:58 PM
(My emphasis) the school district's superintendent can allow any gun-related activity on or near school property and therefore controls someone's 2A rights within a 1000 feet of a school.(other than on private property)...

Looks like those written permissions are required before the buy-back people enter the zone - seems not to be possible for a district superintendent to declare a "gun zone" for a period of time.

Oh, please, let this cause merriment and confusion!

LOW2000
04-13-2009, 4:11 PM
So if the gun free zone was nullified by a letter from the superintendent, does that only apply to people turning in guns, or if you were OCing that day, could you move freely through those gun free zones? :43:

glockman19
04-13-2009, 4:15 PM
As I suggested in the other thread....someone...should inform the ATF & CA DOJ. They would have no other choice than to find alternate locations.

curtisfong
04-13-2009, 4:30 PM
As I suggested in the other thread....someone...should inform the ATF & CA DOJ. They would have no other choice than to find alternate locations.

Absolutely. Is it too late to ask the "right people" to contact our erstwhile inside man, Alison? I'd love to see a DOJ/LAPD standoff.

SkatinJJ
04-13-2009, 4:53 PM
This arbitrary enforcement of the commerce clause (Federal Law: US Code 18, Section 922, (q) (2) (B) (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone) is a problem.

The school's superintendent, whom one would never think should under any circumstances to allow guns onto school grounds; in this case allows people who may illegally possess guns, or may even have evil assault weapons in their possession onto the hallowed grounds of a school in this state is unthinkable.

Think of the kids!!!

p.s. I think that the federal law's idea of a program is a drill team, JROTC, and such. I doubt that they had in mind potential felons coming near schools with illegal weapons. :eek:

mblat
04-13-2009, 4:58 PM
So... should I sent this to CA DOJ or not? What say you?

To whom it may concern.

According to:
http://cbs2.com/misc/gun.buyback.turn.2.973552.html
the City of Los Angeles will conduct gun "buyback" event.
It seems, however, that many advertised location is within the "school zone" as defined in PC 629.9 and some of then are actually AT school. As such, organizers of the event solicit felonies to be committed by anybody who would show up at the event with a gun. There seem to be no exception to events of this kind in the law, and since it isn't feasible for all participants of this event to obtain "written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority" we are about to witness MASSIVE violation of CA law.
Since CA DOJ hasn't reacted to the event in any matter, can it be interpreted that CA DOJ no longer willing to enforce PC 629.9 and all similar statures? Does it mean I can start carry my firearm openly within the "school zone" without fear to be prosecuted on 629.9 violation?
What is your legal opinion on the following question:
“How feasible would be defense strategy to use this and other similar events throughout the State, as precedent of PC 629.9 no longer being a “good law” in the State of California”.

Yours

curtisfong
04-13-2009, 5:06 PM
So... should I sent this to CA DOJ or not? What say you?

Good, except omit the question about if you could use it for an affirmative defense. Let them dig their own hole.

Also, DO NOT write the LAPD or the city. Get a response from the DOJ first....

CitaDeL
04-13-2009, 5:20 PM
I like where this is going.

There must be an equal application of the law when there are no exemptions from the violation. That being the case, everyone who shows up in a school zone with a firearm that is not in a secure, fully enclosed locked case ought to be prosecuted in spite of their intentions to turn in a weapon during a buy back program--- OR other circumstances or conditions must be acceptable exemptions from prosecution, and the law is void. If they cannot reconcile the issue between 626.9 and the locations of the buyback stations, it will show that the law for what it is- both arbitrary and unreasonable.

curtisfong
04-13-2009, 5:29 PM
It occurs to me that if anybody is going to ask the DOJ anything, ithey should avoid *any* mention of buybacks.

I'd ask the DOJ who is allowed to grant 626.9 exemptions to *unnamed* individuals.

Librarian
04-13-2009, 7:13 PM
I wonder if we can get some inter-agency rivalry going.

PC says:15. A crime or public offense is an act committed or omitted in
violation of a law forbidding or commanding it, and to which is
annexed, upon conviction, either of the following punishments:
1. Death;
2. Imprisonment;
3. Fine;
4. Removal from office; or,
5. Disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust,
or profit in this State.

16. Crimes and public offenses include:
1. Felonies;
2. Misdemeanors; and
3. Infractions.

And at 626.9 it says the penalties are (f) (1) Any person who violates subdivision (b) by possessing a
firearm in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school
providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive,
shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three,
or five years.
(2) Any person who violates subdivision (b) by possessing a
firearm within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public
or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1
to 12, inclusive, shall be punished as follows:
(A) By imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or five
years, if any of the following circumstances apply:
(i) If the person previously has been convicted of any felony, or
of any crime made punishable by Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
12000) of Title 2 of Part 4.
(ii) If the person is within a class of persons prohibited from
possessing or acquiring a firearm pursuant to Section 12021 or
12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and
Institutions Code.
(iii) If the firearm is any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person and the offense is
punished as a felony pursuant to Section 12025.
(B) By imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year or
by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or five years,
in all cases other than those specified in subparagraph (A).
, so violation is a 'public offense'. And then Government Code says 26601. The sheriff shall arrest and take before the nearest
magistrate for examination all persons who attempt to commit or who
have committed a public offense.Unfortunately, police don't have the obligation imposed on a Sheriff: Penal Code 836. (a) A peace officer may arrest a person in obedience to a
warrant, or, pursuant to the authority granted to him or her by
Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2,
without a warrant, may arrest a person whenever any of the following
circumstances occur:
(1) The officer has probable cause to believe that the person to
be arrested has committed a public offense in the officer's presence.

bsim
04-13-2009, 7:34 PM
How about UOC'rs making citizen's arrests?

And I'd send DOJ AND a media notice oh, say, the day before.

CitaDeL
04-13-2009, 7:43 PM
How about UOC'rs making citizen's arrests?

And I'd send DOJ AND a media notice oh, say, the day before.

Uhm that's a no. Though I would support citizens reporting a felony in progress. If the person is not taken into custody and charged, the people who are in possession of an unsecured firearm in a school zone are being treated differently than UOC'rs like Theseus was and creating a 14th amendment violation.

fullrearview
04-13-2009, 7:43 PM
Letís round up all those pro-gun cops and have them arrest a bunch of the organizers. :whistling:

Sure wish I could!

fullrearview
04-13-2009, 7:45 PM
this should be brought to someones atention..... that is NOT a coincidence!

JDoe
04-14-2009, 8:26 AM
CBS 2/ KCAL 9 and the City of Los Angeles (http://cbs2.com/misc/gun.buyback.turn.2.973552.html) appear to have invited (encouraged?) the public to bring firearms to various collection sites, most of these collection sites are within 1,000 feet of a 626.9 school zone (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172932) and improper carry of a firearm within such a school zone is a violation of 626.9.

Since a violation of 626.9 is a crime and PC 31 makes it a crime to "encourage" someone to commit a crime would CBS 2/ KCAL 9 and the City of Los Angeles (etc.) be considered Principals in every violation of 626.9 that occurs as people take guns to buy back locations in 626.9 school zones?

30. The parties to crimes are classified as:
1. Principals; and,
2. Accessories.

31. All persons concerned in the commission of a crime, whether it
be felony or misdemeanor, and whether they directly commit the act
constituting the offense, or aid and abet in its commission, or, not
being present, have advised and encouraged its commission, and all
persons counseling, advising, or encouraging children under the age
of fourteen years, or persons who are mentally incapacitated, to
commit any crime, or who, by fraud, contrivance, or force, occasion
the drunkenness of another for the purpose of causing him to commit
any crime, or who, by threats, menaces, command, or coercion, compel
another to commit any crime, are principals in any crime so
committed.

Liberty1
04-14-2009, 8:31 AM
Just let it happen and be documented. I'm sure it will possibly mean something to some of the right people at the right time. :)

Bruce
04-14-2009, 8:40 AM
I've never attended a "buy back". Do they have a licensed dealer there to handle the transfer of firearms? Isn't conducting a transfer without a dealer or DROS a felony in California?

allenst65
04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I've never attended a "buy back". Do they have a licensed dealer there to handle the transfer of firearms? Isn't conducting a transfer without a dealer or DROS a felony in California?

I had the same thought but dug a little last night to find some exemptions. The issue revolves mainly around the seller, in this case, all those misguided folks who are taking guns (into school zones no less) and exchanging them for compensation via the gift cards, i.e. a "Sale".

An individual is exempted from the requirement of being a licensed seller when the transaction occurs between two private individuals, i.e. a PPT sale. In the case of a buyback such as this however, the PPT requirements for the seller and the HSC requirements of the buyer/receiving party are waived in the following:

"12078.(a)(6) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 <PPT> and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 <HSC> do not apply to sales, deliveries, or transfers of firearms to authorized representatives of cities, cities and counties, counties, or state or federal governments for those governmental agencies where the entity is acquiring the weapon as part of an authorized, voluntary program where the entity is buying or receiving weapons from private individuals. Any weapons acquired pursuant to this paragraph shall be disposed of pursuant to the applicable provisions of Section 12028 or 12032."

What is interesting however is that this section clearly dictates how stolen guns that may be turned in are to be handled.

"12028.(c) -snip- The officers to whom the weapons are surrendered, except upon the certificate of a judge of a court of record, or of the district attorney of the county, that the retention thereof is necessary or proper to the ends of justice, may annually, between the 1st and 10th days of July, in each year, offer the weapons, which the officers in charge of them consider to have value with respect to sporting, recreational, or collection purposes, for sale at public auction to persons licensed pursuant to Section 12071 to engage in businesses involving any weapon purchased. If any weapon has been stolen and is thereafter recovered from the thief or his or her transferee, -snip-, it shall not be so offered for sale but shall be restored to the lawful owner, as soon as its use as evidence has been served, upon his or her identification of the weapon and proof of ownership, and after the law enforcement agency has complied with Section 12021.3.

(f) No stolen weapon shall be sold or destroyed pursuant to subdivision (c) or (d) unless reasonable notice is given to its lawful owner, if his or her identity and address can be reasonably ascertained."

<"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime. Plans are for the Los Angeles Police Department to melt down the weapons after they are collected.>

So, the plan to melt any guns down should come only after they've run the serial numbers and determined that there is no legal claim for any stolen items that may have been collected (more specifically bought). The mayor and every media whore associated with this however give the impression that they will simply take all the guns in and scrap them right away, "no questions asked", and with no attempt made to link them to crimes.

BTF/PTM
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
This whole thing makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I'm very curious to watch from a distance the Mission Hills event since it's close to me, but I REALLY don't want to be anywhere near a gathering of people who are all toting guns whose lives are rough enough that they're willing to trade it for $100 bucks worth of groceries with no questions asked. And the use of schools really creeps me out, too. Why not a church? Why not a library? Why not just about anywhere except a freaking school? Something isn't right here. Just seems way to contradictory to law and desperate to go smoothly.

Someone needs to work on finding out how many unregistered, stolen, imported or otherwise illegal guns are acquired, as I'm sure those numbers won't be released. I just can't see the number being any less than 90 percent since anyone in their right mind with a gun that's legal would take it to a pawn shop or gun store and get a much better chunk of change for it. Am I wrong for having this opinion?

GuyW
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
(f) No stolen weapon shall be sold or destroyed pursuant to subdivision (c) or (d) unless reasonable notice is given to its lawful owner, if his or her identity and address can be reasonably ascertained."

PRAR the serial numbers.

Then PRAR DOJ as to stolen status of same.

CCWFacts
04-14-2009, 12:16 PM
626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).

It needs to be written permission, and I think every person bringing a gun in would need to have a copy of that permission before entering the school zone. I think it would probably also need to be made out for named individuals. That section starts with "any person", so I'm not sure that a blanket "anyone can bring guns here" would work. It looks like the law allows a school official to allow a specific person, but does not allow him to effectively suspend the school zone.

At least that's my reading of it, and I am not a lawyer so don't take it for more than the views of "just a regular Internet commando".

Librarian
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
It needs to be written permission, and I think every person bringing a gun in would need to have a copy of that permission before entering the school zone. I think it would probably also need to be made out for named individuals. That section starts with "any person", so I'm not sure that a blanket "anyone can bring guns here" would work. It looks like the law allows a school official to allow a specific person, but does not allow him to effectively suspend the school zone.

At least that's my reading of it, and I am not a lawyer so don't take it for more than the views of "just a regular Internet commando".My reading too, so we're building up to a squad of commandos....

Bruce
04-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I had the same thought but dug a little last night to find some exemptions. The issue revolves mainly around the seller, in this case, all those misguided folks who are taking guns (into school zones no less) and exchanging them for compensation via the gift cards, i.e. a "Sale".

An individual is exempted from the requirement of being a licensed seller when the transaction occurs between two private individuals, i.e. a PPT sale. In the case of a buyback such as this however, the PPT requirements for the seller and the HSC requirements of the buyer/receiving party are waived in the following:

"12078.(a)(6) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 <PPT> and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 <HSC> do not apply to sales, deliveries, or transfers of firearms to authorized representatives of cities, cities and counties, counties, or state or federal governments for those governmental agencies where the entity is acquiring the weapon as part of an authorized, voluntary program where the entity is buying or receiving weapons from private individuals. Any weapons acquired pursuant to this paragraph shall be disposed of pursuant to the applicable provisions of Section 12028 or 12032."

What is interesting however is that this section clearly dictates how stolen guns that may be turned in are to be handled.

"12028.(c) -snip- The officers to whom the weapons are surrendered, except upon the certificate of a judge of a court of record, or of the district attorney of the county, that the retention thereof is necessary or proper to the ends of justice, may annually, between the 1st and 10th days of July, in each year, offer the weapons, which the officers in charge of them consider to have value with respect to sporting, recreational, or collection purposes, for sale at public auction to persons licensed pursuant to Section 12071 to engage in businesses involving any weapon purchased. If any weapon has been stolen and is thereafter recovered from the thief or his or her transferee, -snip-, it shall not be so offered for sale but shall be restored to the lawful owner, as soon as its use as evidence has been served, upon his or her identification of the weapon and proof of ownership, and after the law enforcement agency has complied with Section 12021.3.

<"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime. Plans are for the Los Angeles Police Department to melt down the weapons after they are collected.>

So, the plan to melt any guns down should come only after they've run the serial numbers and determined that there is no legal claim for any stolen items that may have been collected (more specifically bought). The mayor and every media whore associated with this however give the impression that they will simply take all the guns in and scrap them right away, "no questions asked", and with no attempt made to link them to crimes.

Thank you.

GuyW
04-14-2009, 1:19 PM
Churches shouldn't be involved in this at all.

Maybe we should see how they'd like an organized Bible collection effort, to burn them...

(I say this as a person of religious-persuation)

workinwifdakids
04-14-2009, 5:44 PM
I think we're missing something here. I'm no attorney, but ATF should be informed due to FED violations, DOJ regarding State, but no one's mentioned the LOCAL. Some may say LAPD is the local, but that's not true: IIRC, the COUNTY SHERIFF is the highest law enforcement official, over even the Chief of Police. So, in theory (and if I have this right), if Lee Baca were feeling free of douchedom that day, he could order LAPD to cease and desist.

bigcalidave
04-14-2009, 9:32 PM
People have to make a BIG stink about this to your local media (I'm on the wrong side of the state, where they don't care :P ) Maybe all the competing networks would love to run this story about their competition

KylaGWolf
04-14-2009, 10:08 PM
OK I mention turning them in for this on another thread and get a puke comment in return.

bsim problem with that is then the UOCers would be within 1000 feet and I can bet you if we tried it they would arrest us.

DDT
04-14-2009, 10:59 PM
OK I mention turning them in for this on another thread and get a puke comment in return.

bsim problem with that is then the UOCers would be within 1000 feet and I can bet you if we tried it they would arrest us.

There's an equal protection suit just waiting to happen.

dadoody
04-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Can I turn in old rusted RG75 rejects and get money for them?

JDoe
05-04-2009, 1:19 PM
Here are the changes to the gun buy back locations as noted in the Update of the original post. The old locations were from the April 14, 2009 page and the changed locations from the May 1, 2009 page.

El Mana Foursquare Church
12055 Wicks Way
Sun Valley, CA 91352

Changed to

Hansen Dam Off Dronfield Ave
Dronfield Ave-Osborne St.
Pacoima CA, 91331

Alemany High School (Foothill Field parking lot)
11111 North Alemany Drive
Mission Hills, CA 91345

Changed to

Facey Medical Building
11165 N. Sepulveda Blvd
Mission Hills, CA 91345

Emmanuel Lutheran Church
6020 Radford Avenue

Changed to

Iglesia Bethel
6226 Colfax Ave

New Horizons Church
8055 Reseda Boulevard
Reseda, CA 91335

Changed to

Councilman Zine's Field Office
19040 Vanowen Street
Reseda, CA 91335

Church on the Way
14300 Sherman Way
Van Nuys, CA 91405

Changed to

County Parking Lot
15430 Erwin St.
Van Nuys, CA 91411

Location No. 7 - Van Nuys Area
Church of Latter Day Saints
15555 Saticoy Street
Van Nuys, CA 91406

Canceled

Location No. 9 - Rampart Area
MacArthur Park (Westside)
Parkview Street between 6th Street and 7th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90057

Changed to

Location No. 9 - Rampart Area
Echo Park
Lemoyne Street at Park Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90026

Location No. 11 - Northeast Area
Ramona Hall
4580 Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90065

Changed to

Location No. 11 - Northeast Area
Eagle Rock Recreation Center
1100 Eagle Vista Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90041

5500 Sunset Blvd (Empty parking lot)
Los Angeles CA, 90028

Changed to

Farm Fresh Ranch Grocery Store
5520 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Queen Anne Recreation Center
1240 West Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90019

Changed to

Parking Lot
Southwest Corner Of Washington Blvd And Vineyard Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90016

Location No. 16 - Olympic Area
Church of Christian Fellowship
2085 South Hobart Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90018

Changed to

Location No. 16 - Olympic Area
Amos Memorial CME Church
2445 West Washington Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90018
Holy Family Church
1011 East L Street
Wilmington, CA 90744

Changed to

Park & Ride Parking Lot
1300 W Pacific Coast Highway
Wilmington, CA 90744

Saint Lawrence of Brindisi Church
10122 Compton Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90002

Changed to

Prince Hall Memorial Auditorium
9027 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90003

Nativity Church
953 West 57th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90037

Changed to

Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
7900 S. Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90047

Location No. 20 - Southwest Area
Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza
3650 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90008

Changed to

Location No. 20 - Southwest Area
(On the Street in front of address)
3860 W. Martin Luther King Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90008

GuyW
05-04-2009, 1:26 PM
Here are the changes to the gun buy back locations as noted in the Update of the original post. The old locations were from the April 14, 2009 page and the changed locations from the May 1, 2009 page.

Protesters should be in front of every church, carrying signs urging "turn in your Bible for $100"...

Maybe someone would get the point?

bigcalidave
05-04-2009, 1:47 PM
Is every one of those out of a school zone? You guys should have kept quiet about it till AFTER they started breaking the laws!!!

Liberty1
05-04-2009, 1:51 PM
UPDATE 05-04-2009 at 02:20 PM:It looks like 14 locations have been moved out of 626.9 school zones and one location has been removed completely as of May 1, 2009. It seems that someone has been reading Calguns.net and/or Calguns members (there were a few) did in fact notify various people in charge or overseeing this gun buy back including (but not confirmed) the DOJ. The gun buy back page has been updated as of May 1, 2009 and a "2009 Gun Buyback Initiative FAQs" section added.

See Post #39 for location changes and the one canceled location.

That's really too bad :( I was hoping we could later cite to how "un" sensitive those locations are due to these places being used.

DDT
05-04-2009, 1:55 PM
Any further evidence needed that:

A) We know more about Gun laws than the police?

B) "Those People" really do read CalGuns?

C) We CAN change the world?

D) LAPD Management doesn't really care about the legality of their own actions unless Damocles is overhead?

N6ATF
05-04-2009, 4:13 PM
I wonder why they even bothered to move/cancel. Not like mass corruption, lawbreaking, and aiding and abetting criminals under color of authority wouldn't have gotten a pass here like practically every other time in history.

SkatinJJ
05-04-2009, 4:13 PM
Thanks JDoe for the update.
Two things.

1. Have they done this before, within school zones?
2. Has the mayor promised to obstruct justice before, and done so?

The Mayor's got me so ticked off... The thought of promising to not pursue forensics on a gun to get it off the street equates to no justice for a crime victim. The popularity of Villaraigosa with the criminals is more important than serving the law-abiding.

"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime."

I find him to be disgusting. The same would be my judgement for any police who go along with him on this.

Mstrty
05-04-2009, 4:29 PM
You guys should have kept quiet about it till AFTER they started breaking the laws!!!

+1 :thumbsup:

lazyworm
05-04-2009, 4:31 PM
That's really too bad :( I was hoping we could later cite to how "un" sensitive those locations are due to these places being used.

What about previous buy backs? Where were they held?

DDT
05-04-2009, 8:47 PM
I suppose that the fact the Mayors office and Police had planned to use those sites is clear evidence they didn't consider them sensitive regardless of the final location of the buy-backs. While they could claim they didn't have reasonable knowledge that some were within the 1000' GFSZ (Lookie here Theseus) it's tough to make that argument when the event is on school grounds or in a school parking lot.

JDoe
05-04-2009, 8:57 PM
FWIW here is a picture of a poster for this buy back with the old in school zone buy back locations on it...

http://news.webshots.com/photo/2956090870056740733TuYmSU (http://news.webshots.com/photo/2956090870056740733TuYmSU)

CitaDeL
05-04-2009, 8:59 PM
I suppose that the fact the Mayors office and Police had planned to use those sites is clear evidence they didn't consider them sensitive regardless of the final location of the buy-backs. While they could claim they didn't have reasonable knowledge that some were within the 1000' GFSZ (Lookie here Theseus) it's tough to make that argument when the event is on school grounds or in a school parking lot.

Agreed. The good news is that there are other gun buy backs and other communities ruled by anti-gun authorities. When they do conduct a buy back, we should quietly allow them to do it, document the event and memorialize it for posterity.