PDA

View Full Version : SF Area LEO ranges.

Suvorov
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm a member of Sunnyvale Rod and Gun where we see quite a bit of LEOs come and shoot (for free - club policy). I just received my Federal Credentials and would like to get in touch with the local LEO range and at the very least get to know them, however given the fact that I see a lot of LEOs at my range, I'm thinking that there really isn't much in the upper peninsula as far as LEO ranges. If anyone could help me out here or PM me it would be appreciated.

bluestaterebel
04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm a member of Sunnyvale Rod and Gun where we see quite a bit of LEOs come and shoot (for free - club policy). I just received my Federal Credentials and would like to get in touch with the local LEO range and at the very least get to know them, however given the fact that I see a lot of LEOs at my range, I'm thinking that there really isn't much in the upper peninsula as far as LEO ranges. If anyone could help me out here or PM me it would be appreciated.

dont know how it is up there, but at lapd our ranges are mostly used for qualification. so if you wanted to target shoot at your own pace or just plink, you would have to go to a private range.

eltee
04-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Depending which agency you work for, you may have access to the discreet ranges run by feds in the area. There is also the railroad police range and a few other ranges that can be accessed when not being used for quals. Ask the rangemaster / armorer for your agency, he'l know where the secret ranges are...some are indoors!

edwardm
04-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Coyote Point, operated by the San Mateo County Sheriff, is an LEO range, technically. Give the SO a call, you might be able to get in there to plink during the day.

bshnt2015
04-15-2009, 8:29 PM
Call ACSO range, they handle most if not all the Federal guys.

7222 Hawker
04-16-2009, 9:22 PM
San Mateo PD is due to open a new office I hear. They are supposed to have a range there. May want to give them a call and check out their policy on it.

Requiem
04-16-2009, 9:39 PM
I wonder if, as a Marine reservist, some places would let me shoot for free. I haven't seen anywhere where that's posted as policy.

O.o

Suvorov
04-16-2009, 9:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

RANDO
04-16-2009, 11:02 PM
on the waterside of the richmond rod and gun club theres a leo range we shoot at

BigDogatPlay
04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Circle S, west of Petaluma, is LEO only two days a week. Tuesday and Wednesday IIRC. But it's agencies reserving the time, not open shooting.

None of the LEO ranges here in SoCo take walk ons that I am aware of, and the academy range in Windsor is for the academy and in service classes and not much else.

ETA: In Marin County, Novato PD had a range for a while out on the far eastern edge of the old Hamilton AFB at, surprisingly enough, the old base rifle range. Don't know if they still have it or not as behind the berm is protected salt marshes. The San Quentin range is LEO agency only, but after some guys lost rounds over the high hills behind the backstop that landed in San Rafael I had heard that CDCR cut back on who they let use it. Only other facility in Marin is Bullseye.

sargenv
04-20-2009, 6:48 AM
on the waterside of the richmond rod and gun club theres a leo range we shoot at

Um, it's the Richmond Hotshots action range.. it is not exclusively LEO.. just that LE agencies rent it's use during the week. Specific days of the week we are open to the public, usually days that we are closed to the public is when LE agencies rent it out. I know this since I have access to off days and they need share the range with active Range officers who also have access.