PDA

View Full Version : DHS targeting gun/ammo hoarders, returning vets and others

Fate
04-13-2009, 9:25 AM
http://file.sunshinepress.org:54445/us-dhs-right-wing-extremism-2009.pdf
Old link pulled down. The above link is currently available. Same file.

The report linked above, dated April 7, titled "Right-wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," warns against the possibility of violence by unnamed "right-wing extremists" concerned about illegal immigration, increasing federal power, restrictions on firearms, abortion and the loss of U.S. sovereignty and singles out returning war veterans as particular threats.

"Proposed imposition of firearms restrictions and weapons bans likely would attract new members into the ranks of right-wing extremist groups as well as potentially spur some of them to begin planning and training for violence against the government," the report states. "The high volume of purchases and stockpiling of weapons and ammunition by right-wing extremists in anticipation of restrictions and bans in some parts of the country continue to be a primary concern to law enforcement."

Most notable is the report's focus on the impact of returning war veterans.

"Returning veterans possess combat skills and experience that are attractive to right-wing extremists," it says. "DHS/I&A is concerned that right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize veterans in order to boost their violent capacities."

The report further cites the April 4 shooting deaths of three police officers in Pittsburgh as an example of what may be coming, claiming the alleged gunman holds a racist ideology and believes in anti-government conspiracy theories about gun confiscations, citizen detention camps and "a Jewish-controlled 'one-world government.'"

Read the linked PDF for the full text.

stormy_clothing
04-13-2009, 9:35 AM
The guns and ammo part is not what bothers me the most it's the insinuation that soldiers are susceptible to engaging in criminal acts against the country there sworn to defend. Shame on them.

bwiese
04-13-2009, 9:37 AM
Let's step back from governmental Drama-FUD for a bit.

We're gonna have a huge number of returning veterans into CA, and these guys generally vote pro-gun.

Many CA Assembly/Senate elections are won by only a few votes per precinct.

What if returning vets into CA were directed to reside in key areas in 'swing precincts'?

:)

JDoe
04-13-2009, 9:47 AM
The story was already posted on world net daily (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=94803) so it can't be true. :TFH:

EDIT: Ok I take the above back, some things on worldnetdaily.com might actually be true and it looks like the report is indeed real. :o

Fjold
04-13-2009, 10:10 AM
That "report" looks so fake.

7x57
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
What if returning vets into CA were directed to reside in key areas in 'swing precincts'?

How about asking them all to move to $(SMALL_ANTIGUN_CITY) and declare a free republic once critical mass is reached? :eek:

Did I just say that? :p

But back to reality, if your suggestion were actually feasible, it would be interesting to try.

7x57

Matt C
04-13-2009, 10:47 AM
This stuff (assuming it's real) always reminds me of "They Live" when the resistance fighters get wiped out and the FBI/Homeland Security types are celebrating about how they wiped the "terrorists".

rabagley
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
One of my favorite movie references of all time! And the similarity is definitely strange.

"I am here to chew bubblegum and kick a** and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Ahhh... good times...

Matt C
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
One of my favorite movie references of all time! And the similarity is definitely strange.

"I am here to chew bubblegum and kick a** and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Ahhh... good times...

Indeed, that's a great line. That movie also has the best fight scene ever, "I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can."

deleted by PC police
04-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Indeed, that's a great line. That movie also has the best fight scene ever, "I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can."

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that loves that movie.

CHS
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM

That fight scene is the single best fight scene in hollywood HISTORY.

Put on the glasses!
I don't want to wear the glasses!

Oh my god... Good times.

SkyStorm82
04-13-2009, 1:48 PM
...continue to be a primary concern to law enforcement."[/B]

This is very true. It's huge.

I mean jeez....I can't even go to Walmart and pick up some ammo anymore.

SkatinJJ
04-13-2009, 2:11 PM
If this thing is legit, they need to fire the puke who wrote it. The drooling moron used such childishly asinine expressions like "lone wolves" and "rightwing" (likeitsoneword). The author needs to revisit Freshman Composistion and LEARN TO WRITE.

Any real government document would also be giving real references and sources for law enforcement review. Intelligence analysts live for their material to be taken as legit, so they place proper references to intel sources or compilations.

This has to be a fake, or our government is being populated by high school drop outs.

hill billy
04-13-2009, 2:20 PM
our government is being populated by high school drop outs.I'm actually leaning this way. :D

SkatinJJ
04-13-2009, 2:32 PM
I'm actually leaning this way. :D

I hear you. I wrote better intel briefs than that when I was in the Marines.

Oh no, I'm going to be targeted for recruitment soon by anti-semetic-right-wing-anti-govt-anarchists who may be able to read and write better than the false-flag punk son-of-a-beach who wrote that report. :TFH:

Cru Jones
04-13-2009, 5:06 PM
Apparently the DHS now considers smart, self-reliant people as "right-wing extremists." They prefer you to be dependent on them so they can herd you into stadiums like cattle during times of emergency.

B Strong
04-13-2009, 5:18 PM
I'm a fan of "They Live" too, but my favorite part is where Roddy puts on the glasses at the newstand, and can see the subliminal messages on the magazines, as well as the message on money - "This Is Your God."

That movie has a heck of a lot more credibility than the document in question.

RRangel
04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
If this thing is legit, they need to fire the puke who wrote it. The drooling moron used such childishly asinine expressions like "lone wolves" and "rightwing" (likeitsoneword). The author needs to revisit Freshman Composistion and LEARN TO WRITE.

Any real government document would also be giving real references and sources for law enforcement review. Intelligence analysts live for their material to be taken as legit, so they place proper references to intel sources or compilations.

This has to be a fake, or our government is being populated by high school drop outs.

The vagueness and omission of specific details is part of the problem. This may be left open to those who receive it in an official capacity. Think your government is taxing you too much? You're a rightwing extremist. Those restrictive gun laws bothering you? Well, join the list.

MP301
04-14-2009, 5:45 AM
Let's step back from governmental Drama-FUD for a bit.

We're gonna have a huge number of returning veterans into CA, and these guys generally vote pro-gun.

Many CA Assembly/Senate elections are won by only a few votes per precinct.

:)

Hey Bill, do you remember back when...I think in the 80's maybe, where this Swami religious guru moved to a small town in Oregon with all of his followers (as well as a dozen or so Rolls Royce sedans!)? His followers outnumbered the residents so he was able to out vote the town and take power.

Maybe we should get all of the pro gun folks to all move to the same anti gun community, one at a time until we get all of these pesky bad laws changed! My guess, is we can have it all fixed in a few hundred years!

MP301
04-14-2009, 5:47 AM
I'm a fan of "They Live" too, but my favorite part is where Roddy puts on the glasses at the newstand, and can see the subliminal messages on the magazines, as well as the message on money - "This Is Your God."

That movie has a heck of a lot more credibility than the document in question.

Oh yeah, that was a great movie! I forgot about it, now im gonna have to track it down and buy the DVD...

OrovilleTim
04-14-2009, 7:18 AM
If it is fake as many are choosing to believe, why then is Mr. Obama commenting on it trying to distance himself from it.

It was never supposed to be viewed outside of the Gov/LEO realm, so they felt free to say what they said. But, they are so out of touch they didn't realize that some LEOs would take offense to this and leak it.

For passing it around, it's available on WikiLeaks with summary and attestment to validity: https://secure.wikileaks.org/wiki/US_DHS:_Rightwing_Extremism:_Current_Economic_and_ Political_Climate_Fueling_Resurgence_in_Radicaliza tion_and_Recruitment,_7_Apr_2009

Scarier than the document though is the fact that many would rather bury their head in the sand than think that it is possible that our own government could think of it's own citizens this way.

AKman
04-14-2009, 7:25 AM
The memo is real and being reported by the Washington Times.

Your tax dollars at work.

geeknow
04-14-2009, 7:38 AM
If it is fake as many are choosing to believe, why then is Mr. Obama commenting on it trying to distance himself from it.

It was never supposed to be viewed outside of the Gov/LEO realm, so they felt free to say what they said. But, they are so out of touch they didn't realize that some LEOs would take offense to this and leak it.

For passing it around, it's available on WikiLeaks with summary and attestment to validity: https://secure.wikileaks.org/wiki/US_DHS:_Rightwing_Extremism:_Current_Economic_and_ Political_Climate_Fueling_Resurgence_in_Radicaliza tion_and_Recruitment,_7_Apr_2009

Scarier than the document though is the fact that many would rather bury their head in the sand than think that it is possible that our own government could think of it's own citizens this way.

Crap! I was hoping that this turned out to be more hysteria from the "anti's". It seems that it may actually represent the thoughts and feelings of the .gov. The part that is most unsettling (for me, anyway), is the innocuous little sentence that stated leo's primary concern was people "hoarding". This is only one small step from telling us just how much is enough, I fear.

Oh well...off to buy ammo.:thumbsup:

wash
04-14-2009, 7:43 AM
The pdf is asking me for a password, what is it?

Can'thavenuthingood
04-14-2009, 8:15 AM
I go right to it from here, no password.
http://images.logicsix.com/DHS_RWE.pdf

The problems will be from the bureaucrats at all levels deciphering the document for enforcement purposes.
Of course it will need to be in the school systems to protect the children.

Vick

gbp
04-14-2009, 8:16 AM
can't post the entire memo as it's 24K+ long, but you can read it at 24hr link here:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2961952/page/0/fpart/1

Times article:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/14/federal-agency-warns-of-radicals-on-right/

hawk81
04-14-2009, 8:56 AM
The military people are sworn to defend and protect the constitution. Since our constitution is being trampled on I can see why the DHS would be wanting to keep an eye on military vets, gun owners and freedom loving Americans.

audi2539
04-14-2009, 8:58 AM
Michelle Malkin confirmed post...

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/04/14/confirme-the-obama-dhs-hit-job-on-conservatives-is-real/

zatoh
04-14-2009, 11:08 AM
....but also groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.

So would that include medicinal marijuana? I guess that's not considered "rightwing" [sic].

Can anyone say self fulfilling prophesy? You know, I enjoy the occasional conspiracy theory based novel but to think that all the crazy stuff they talk about is actually being considered by our government. One only wonders

On a side note, I have a co-worker who attends church in Compton, CA where FEMA camps are a regular source of discussion in their sermons. These are not white, right wing radicals, these are black, suburban middle class, liberal people.

I would hate to see it come to pass. It's happened before, it can happen again I guess.

yellowfin
04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I cook some extreme wings every now and then, but they're not always just the right wing.

AKman
04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
can't post the entire memo as it's 24K+ long, but you can read it at 24hr link here:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2961952/page/0/fpart/1

Times article:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/14/federal-agency-warns-of-radicals-on-right/

It would appear that the Times has already pulled the article. If that is the case, it's scarier than the memo itself. Then again, they may have pulled the memo because a link was posted on the Drudge Report, and the number of hits is probably overwhelming their server.

jacques
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Good find Fate. Very interesting.

DDT
04-14-2009, 1:38 PM
Hey Bill, do you remember back when...I think in the 80's maybe, where this Swami religious guru moved to a small town in Oregon with all of his followers (as well as a dozen or so Rolls Royce sedans!)? His followers outnumbered the residents so he was able to out vote the town and take power.

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. He was also responsible for the first modern biological attack on American soil. If I remember correctly his followers inoculated a salad bar with either e.coli or salmonella to try and poison the locals just before an election so they could put their own candidate in office.

SkatinJJ
04-14-2009, 2:09 PM

Thanks dude, I stand corrected. I preferred to think that a piece published for general distribution would be done better than a high school freshman at the last minute.

SkatinJJ
04-14-2009, 2:16 PM
Here's more. Verification from DHS in the CBS article. http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/04/14/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4944701.shtml
Conservatives are up in arms about a report from the Department Of Homeland Security entitled "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic And Political Climate Fueling Resurgence In Radicalization And Recruitment." (Here it is, in PDF form.)

The report is "one of the most embarrassingly shoddy pieces of propaganda I’d ever read out of DHS," writes Michelle Malkin, who deems it a "piece of crap report" that serves as "a sweeping indictment of conservatives."

Coverage of the report presently occupies both the top spot on the Drudge Report and a prime second location on the site, where it comes with a picture of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and the words "SHE IS WATCHING YOU."

The "Key Findings" section of the report opens with these words: "The DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) has no specific information that domestic rightwing* terrorists are currently planning acts of violence, but rightwing extremists may be gaining new recruits by playing on their fears about several emergent issues. The economic downturn and the election of the first African American president present unique drivers for rightwing radicalization and recruitment."

More from the report:
• Proposed imposition of firearms restrictions and weapons bans likely would attract new members into the ranks of rightwing extremist groups, as well as potentially spur some of them to begin planning and training for violence against the government. The high volume of purchases and stockpiling of weapons and ammunition by rightwing extremists in anticipation of restrictions and bans in some parts of the country continue to be a primary concern to law enforcement.
• Rightwing extremist chatter on the Internet continues to focus on the economy, the perceived loss of U.S. jobs in the manufacturing and construction sectors, and home foreclosures. Anti-Semitic extremists attribute these losses to a deliberate conspiracy conducted by a cabal of Jewish “financial elites.” These “accusatory” tactics are employed to draw new recruits into rightwing extremist groups and further radicalize
those already subscribing to extremist beliefs.
• DHS/I&A assesses that rightwing extremist groups’ frustration over a perceived lack of government action on illegal immigration has the potential to incite individuals or small groups toward violence.
• Rightwing extremist paranoia of foreign regimes could escalate or be magnified in the event of an economic crisis or military confrontation, harkening back to the “New World Order” conspiracy theories of the 1990s.
DHS, as Fox News notes, pointed out in response to critics that it released a similar report about left-wing extremists in January.

"This is the job of DHS, to assess what is happening in this country, with regard to homegrown terrorism, and determine whether it's an actual threat or not, and that's what these assessments do," an official said. "This is nothing unusual. These assessments are done all the time. This is about awareness."

Think Progress also points out that the Department of Energy released a report in 2001 entitled "Left-Wing Extremism: The Current Threat."

Malkin writes in response that the previous reports "have always been very specific in identifying the exact groups, causes, and targets of domestic terrorism." In this report, she argues, there is no such specific threat – and, she adds, "no hackneyed left-wing stereotype of conservatives left behind."

As The Washington Times reports, White House spokesman Nick Shapiro, asked about the report, said this: "The president is focused not on politics but rather taking the steps necessary to protect all Americans from the threat of violence and terrorism regardless of its origins."

Homeland Security spokeswoman Sara Kuban, meanwhile, told the paper that the report is part of a series designed to "facilitate a greater understanding of the phenomenon of violent radicalization in the U.S."

She also noted that "These types of reports are published all the time."

Past terrorists who could be labeled right-wing extremists include Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, who were convicted of bombing the Alfred P. Murrah Building in Oklahoma City in 1995, and Eric Rudolph, who confessed to bombing a gay bar, abortion clinic, and Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park.

SgtDinosaur
04-14-2009, 3:48 PM
I just saw several articles on this on Google News. It's starting to remind me of the bad old (Clinton/Reno) days. Let's see which federal agency spins out of control and starts executing citizens first.

gn3hz3ku1*
04-14-2009, 3:53 PM
please calm down.. some of the guys i know with the biggest arsenals of guns and ammo work for DHS...

Vanguard
04-14-2009, 4:20 PM
So...Obama wants to keep track of possible "right wing extremists" and he wants his own little "Civilian National Security Force".... www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2yGzHfy7s

Sounds like the SA or SS to me. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so creepy.

Legasat
04-14-2009, 4:42 PM
This is a disgusting report. How dare they!

I just downloaded the report and skimmed through it. Some of their definitions are laughable.

Janet Napolitano should be FIRED.

I need to read it again, slowly so I can digest it better, but my initial thought is that these people are out of control...

chiefcrash
04-14-2009, 4:45 PM
My favorite part:

On the current front, legislation has been proposed this year
requiring mandatory registration of all firearms in the United States. Similar
legislation was introduced in 2008 in several states proposing mandatory tagging
and registration of ammunition. It is unclear if either bill will be passed into law;
nonetheless, a correlation may exist between the potential passage of gun control
legislation and increased hoarding of ammunition, weapons stockpiling, and
paramilitary training activities among rightwing extremists.

DHS clearly did not see this key piece of intel:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9552/nra2bfirearms2bsalesman.jpg

colossians323
04-14-2009, 5:18 PM
funniest thing, I remember in the early days of the iraq war, the libtards were calling the enemies "patriots", but on are own soil, if you were any of the descriptions in the report, you're a terrorist????:confused:

AR u Ready
04-14-2009, 5:52 PM
There are known islamic compounds/militias scattered across the US training in IED construction and roadside abductions and the Mexican drug cartel violence is spilling over into our streets but you're concerned about the citizens purchasing weapons because of this? Go screw yourselves. How dare you. Napolitano your job is as good as toast, nice going you stupid *****.

tombinghamthegreat
04-14-2009, 6:26 PM
Looks like this article is a lie based kinda on truth. Sure there is a concern with the boom in gun sales to the anti gunners but this is a bit far fetched.

rrr70
04-15-2009, 5:59 AM
Obama need to put a muzle on that mad dog before she start biting him in the *****. That bi!$ch is crazy.

Cru Jones
04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Should I be surprised that I just watched an interview on Fox News where the proponent of this DHS report had to make a point in saying that this report was commissioned under the Bush administration, it's just coincidental that it came out after he was out of office. I'm not saying that's not true, I'm just wondering when the sheeple will get tired of that mentality (probably never).

yellowfin
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Anyone got a recipe for extreme right wings? I'm looking for a new Buffalo wing recipe and that seems like the perfect thing to call it.

RomanDad
04-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone got a recipe for extreme right wings? I'm looking for a new Buffalo wing recipe and that seems like the perfect thing to call it.
I got this recipe from Janet Reno:

Take 76 Branch Davidians; Add 17 pounds of diluted pepper spray; roast over an open flame for three hours.... Serve.

What???? too soon?

tcrpe
04-15-2009, 1:00 PM
Janet Napolitano should be FIRED.

Fired?

Watch what the dems and reps in Congress do.

They'll give her more power.

barrym66
04-15-2009, 2:32 PM
Good opinion piece in reply from Judge Andrew Napolitano on Foxnews.com...

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/04/15/napolitano_homeland_security/

JUDGE ANDREW NAPOLITANO: Six Things You Should Know About the Homeland Security Report on ‘Rightwing Extremism’

Homeland Security Warns of Rise in Right-Wing Extremism

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) report entitled “Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment”, dated April 7, 2009, which I have read, is apparently an unclassified summary of a larger classified report.

1. The summary contains few proper names, has no footnotes of any significance, lists very few sources, and is drafted with a prejudice against anyone who criticizes the role of the federal government in our lives today. It lumps together in its definition of “rightwing extremism” hate groups, anti-government groups, and single issue groups “such as opposition to abortion or immigration.”

My guess is that the sentiments revealed in the report I read are the tip of an iceberg that the DHS would prefer to keep submerged until it needs to reveal it. This iceberg is the heavy-hand of government; a government with large and awful eyes, in whose heart there is no love for freedom, and on whose face there is no smile.

2. The document itself cautions the reader that the document is “not to be released to the public, the media, or other personnel who do not have a valid need-to-know without prior approval” of the DHS. The document refers to itself as one of a series of intelligence assessments intended to “deter, prevent, preempt, or respond to terrorist attacks against the United States.”

3. The thrust of this report is that in the present environment of economic instability, returning military veterans, those who fear of the loss of Second Amendment-protected rights, those threatened by an African-American president, and those who fear “Jewish ‘financial elites’” could all be a fertile breeding ground for groups whose power and ideas the government hates and fears. The document is essentially a warning for DHS and FBI officials to be on the look-out for rootless persons looking for the comfort of groups as they may be a danger to American security.

4. The summary (unclassified) document is terrifying. One can only imagine what is contained in the classified version. This document runs directly counter to numerous U.S. Supreme decisions prohibiting the government from engaging in any activities that could serve to chill the exercise of expressive liberties. Liberties are chilled, in constitutional parlance, when people are afraid to express themselves for fear of government omnipresence, monitoring, or reprisals. The document also informs the reader that Big Brother is watching both public and private behavior.

5. The whole purpose of the First Amendment is to guarantee open, broad, robust debate on the policies and personnel of the government. The First Amendment presumes that individuals — NOT THE GOVERNMENT — are free to choose what they believe and espouse, what they read and say, and with whom they associate in public and in private. The writers of this abominable report are particularly concerned with the expression of opinions that might be used to fuel ideas that challenge federal authority or favor state and local government over the federal government. Unfortunately, legislation passed during the past eight years gives the DHS and the FBI the tools to monitor everything from a telephone conversation to the keystrokes used on a personal computer without a warrant issued by a federal judge.

6. My guess is that the sentiments revealed in the report I read are the tip of an iceberg that the DHS would prefer to keep submerged until it needs to reveal it. This iceberg is the heavy-hand of government; a government with large and awful eyes, in whose heart there is no love for freedom, and on whose face there is no smile.

berg
04-15-2009, 2:42 PM
Oh yeah, that was a great movie! I forgot about it, now im gonna have to track it down and buy the DVD...

Watch it for free right here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9005367754264973286

yellowfin
04-15-2009, 3:10 PM
Thanks a lot, Bush, for the DHS :mad:

mcubed4130
04-23-2009, 11:40 PM
R-woiwQEyEs

Little slow this time... but better late - and full of satire than nothing.

-M3

gn3hz3ku1*
04-24-2009, 8:07 AM
i wish i could hoard ammo.. everyone thats not asking crazy prices are out!

sorensen440
04-24-2009, 8:11 AM
I wonder what they consider hoarding ammo

IGOTDIRT4U
04-24-2009, 8:30 AM
I wonder what they consider hoarding ammo

Anything over one round. Or so it seems it's headed that way.

And what is the difference between "hoarding" and "stocking"? Hoarding implies some sort of negative act, when actually what I am doing is stocking, a positive act. There goes my government again, telling me I am a bad person.