PDA

View Full Version : Dropping mags on my Raddlock'ed AK? (Rainbow Range story)

ChuckBooty
04-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I had my guns out at Rainbow Range on Friday and the Rangemaster was out with us on the rifle range. One of the other shooters called an "all clear" and I put an empty cartridge in between my bolt and the barrel (as is the rules on this range if you can not lock the bolt back). The Rangemaster then told me that I had to drop the magazine on my AK and leave it out while everyone was setting up their targets...something I wasn't real comfortable doing. I didn't want to argue and get kicked off, so I complied. Is this OK? I am under the impression that the "safest" thing to do legally is to leave the empty, fixed magazine in place.

The Rangemaster (Saul) was a real nice and stand up guy...but he didn't have an understanding of CA law, as was evident by him asking my why I was using "that thing" to drop the magazines. I explained to him what the deal was and he just looked at me me like I was a lunatic. lol.

CHS
04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
You have a raddlock. It's perfectly legal.

The safest thing to do WHILE TRANSPORTING, is to leave a 10rd mag in the gun. It's much easier to prove to a cop that your gun does not have a detachable magazine, while the magazine is attached.

But at the shooting range, drop your mag and reload away.

P.S. How were you loading an AK mag while it was inside the gun!?

Shane916
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
How were you loading the weapon prior to dropping the mag?

ChuckBooty
04-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I was switching mags...I just didn't really like leaving it for an extended period of time like that. It wasn't a big deal...just checking opinions.

Jicko
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
1) regarding "open mag well".... it is all fine.... IF an LE put a >10 mag into that weapon... he is the one "manuf an AW" not you.... IF an LE put a 10 rounds mag in there, that mag won't be able to come out without the use of a tool... hence, not an AW...... u are fine either way....

2) regarding "Rainbow", i *never* had ANY issue there regarding having the RO telling me what to do with my firearms.... I am more careful than them.... Rainbow is much more slack than most other ranges... there isn't a RED line to step back on, there isn't a RO standing there every seize fire.... most of the members are just self-regulating... (maybe you had done something that made others uncomfortable?? )

3) you should invest in and use a chamber flag.... that way, during seize fire... your firearm being "clear" is *more* visible .... (personally, I would not be too comfortable with just an empty case stovepiping....)

ChuckBooty
04-13-2009, 11:58 AM
1) regarding "open mag well".... it is all fine.... IF an LE put a >10 mag into that weapon... he is the one "manuf an AW" not you.... IF an LE put a 10 rounds mag in there, that mag won't be able to come out without the use of a tool... hence, not an AW...... u are fine either way....

2) regarding "Rainbow", i *never* had ANY issue there regarding having the RO telling me what to do with my firearms.... I am more careful than them.... Rainbow is much more slack than most other ranges... there isn't a RED line to step back on, there isn't a RO standing there every seize fire.... most of the members are just self-regulating... (maybe you had done something that made others uncomfortable?? )

3) you should invest in and use a chamber flag.... that way, during seize fire... your firearm being "clear" is *more* visible .... (personally, I would not be too comfortable with just an empty case stovepiping....)

Don't get me wrong...there was no "issue" there. I was just wondering about leaving the magwell empty. And yeah...I am gonna get a chamber flag. Good idea.

And as far as making anyone uncomfortable...I use the same discipline and rules that I use when I run the range for my soldiers. I know what you mean about being "safer" than most of the other shooters.

Fate
04-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Not trying to offend, but it's "cease fire" not seize. One means "to stop" the other "to take."

Cheers!