PDA

View Full Version : Building a monopod for the PRS

Apollo
04-13-2009, 4:27 AM
Surfing around on the web I had a random thought, has anyone ever tried using a folding vertical grip as a monopod for the PRS?

With a little elbow grease, some glue, a few bolts, and a nut, you could make a pretty good monopod for the same price as some of the rail to swivel adapters out there.

Any thoughts?

TZL
04-13-2009, 12:05 PM
The proper PRS mono-pod is only $90, why not just buy the proper one?

I'm sure if you look around, there will a used one on one of the million AR forums like M4.net or arf.com

Sure you can buy a folding grip for <$50 and spend a couple hours dremeling, expoxying, adding home depot hardware....but i'd rather just have the real thing

aplinker
04-13-2009, 3:26 PM
or just use a bag of beads/sand, since that's what actually works.

I have a few monopods that are now in my "extras" box since I pulled them off rifles.

dfletcher
04-13-2009, 5:04 PM
The proper PRS mono-pod is only $90, why not just buy the proper one?

I'm sure if you look around, there will a used one on one of the million AR forums like M4.net or arf.com

Sure you can buy a folding grip for <$50 and spend a couple hours dremeling, expoxying, adding home depot hardware....but i'd rather just have the real thing

My turn to ask a stupid question. Not the first time, I'm still not used to it.

I have a Magpul PRS. Do all the Magpul PRS stocks have the rail on the bottom so the monopod can be used? And if so, how the heck do I get the plastic cover off the darn thing?

Apollo
04-13-2009, 6:19 PM
My turn to ask a stupid question. Not the first time, I'm still not used to it.

I have a Magpul PRS. Do all the Magpul PRS stocks have the rail on the bottom so the monopod can be used? And if so, how the heck do I get the plastic cover off the darn thing?

That tripped me up too, look at the underside of the stock and you'll see a little hole split by a seam, pry on that and the cover will slide right off.

Darklyte27
04-13-2009, 6:21 PM
Ive also wanted the monopod by http://www.accu-shot.com/
but im not going to pay 80$ for one plus 20$ for the attachment.
I thought I could build one for about 20-30$ or just use beanbags.

Apollo
04-13-2009, 6:34 PM
Cheaper than dirt has some cheap folding foregrips but they won't ship to cali! Ugh!

Darklyte27
04-13-2009, 6:40 PM
I was thinking of a long screw, then a nut, and some pvc pipe or something.. haha

dfletcher
04-13-2009, 9:32 PM
That tripped me up too, look at the underside of the stock and you'll see a little hole split by a seam, pry on that and the cover will slide right off.

Thanks, I poked around there when I first got it, didn't want to break anything.

You've just helped me spend another $90.00. ;)

Apollo
04-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Cheers mate, I'm gonna see if I can do the same thing for $20.