PDA

View Full Version : Experiences? anyone pulled over or encounter an LEO with their new AR?

slo5oh
04-12-2009, 9:57 PM
So a message in a different post about tracking ownership made me wonder...
Has anyone been pulled over with their new legal AR? If so, did you have a copy of the DOJ letter from this site? Did the officer not even ask about the legality? Did you have to explain the legality, but not produce any papers?

sorry if this has been asked and answered...

supermario
04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
i went to the range, and two leo officers came over to see my AR pistol. One of the guys was just fascinated with the Diablo but the other LEO told me, "I hope you have papers for those". I told him of course, why would i waste soo much $ on an illegal gun, so he then laughed and said i was just kidding.. That was end of story and i let the one guy have a few shots from my pistol. he loved it! They were cool guys though..

Vtec44
04-12-2009, 10:47 PM
i went to the range, and two leo officers came over to see my AR pistol. One of the guys was just fascinated with the Diablo but the other LEO told me, "I hope you have papers for those". I told him of course, why would i waste soo much $ on an illegal gun, so he then laughed and said i was just kidding.. That was end of story and i let the one guy have a few shots from my pistol. he loved it! They were cool guys though..

That's a cool story, I wish all cops are like that. :thumbsup:

zeus45c
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Same for me. All the LEO's I've encountered ask about my rifle (has a U-15 installed) out of curiosity. I then let them fire off a few rounds so they can get the feel of it. I have yet to be pulled over. That may be another story...

BlackViper
04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
When you say "have papers for those", what papers are you supposed to have? I've yet to receive anything back on my OLL registration or handgun registration.

lrdchivalry
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I have never been pulled over or questioned by an leo, however, as an leo myself I know many officers that are aware of OLL and even own them, myself included. I carry documentation with me and try an educate any officers that are unaware of their legality. I have had officers that I have talked to come up to me later to tell they had just bought their first OLL with BB.

dgc357
04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes, it has happen to me and I had to show the officers the flow chart from this site to prove the legality of the rifle. Saved me from the hassle of months without my rifle, wondering what the outcome of their seizure would be. I let the officers keep my copy of it, hope it has helped someone else. It's not a bad idea to carry a printed copy with your Off List Rifle.

lrdchivalry
04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
When you say "have papers for those", what papers are you supposed to have? I've yet to receive anything back on my OLL registration or handgun registration.

Some people, myself included, carry a binder with different forms of documentaion to show how the rifle is legal, such as the AW flowchart, the actual penal code and CCR and I also carry a copy of my receipt and DROS.

Vtec44
04-12-2009, 11:12 PM

I have a copy of the DROS and the 4473 form.

supermario
04-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I have alot of tattoos and a shaved head so i think sometimes i get "extra attention". I usually carry my paperwork with me to the range..

Shane916
04-12-2009, 11:35 PM

OLL's aren't registered.

The paperwork that most are referring to include documents produced by Calguns. i.e flow chart, PC's regarding AR's etc.

SJgunguy24
04-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I carry a copy of the U.S. constitution, a digital camera, and a digital voice recorder at all times. Oh yeah and when i'm going shooting also.

MrKyle
04-13-2009, 12:19 AM
I was pulled over once with my rifle in a case in the passenger seat (I was in a truck at the time). The officer asked what it was and what caliber. I told him it was a Stag-15 in 5.56; he didn't ask anything else except if I had any other weapons in the car, which I did not. He even let me off with a warning. :)

CnCFunFactory
04-13-2009, 2:13 AM
I have a copy of the DROS and the 4473 form.

Did you get these at the time of sale from your ffl?

ENTHUSIAST
04-13-2009, 3:29 AM

YES.

When you are in handcuffs you will wish you had ALL these. VVV

Some people, myself included, carry a binder with different forms of documentaion to show how the rifle is legal, such as the AW flowchart, the actual penal code and CCR and I also carry a copy of my receipt and DROS.

(TRUST ME!!! Think of them as Insurance policies useless unless...)

lrdchivalry
04-13-2009, 9:13 AM
(TRUST ME!!! Think of them as Insurance policies useless unless...)

That is why I carry them. :thumbsup:

Vtec44
04-13-2009, 9:27 AM

A copy of the DROS when I start the process, and the 4473 form is when I come back to pick up the rifle, and a copy of the California Assault Identification Guide.

BlackViper
04-13-2009, 9:27 AM
That's good advice. I haven't had either of my FFLs give my a copy of the DROS paperwork, just sign and submit. I'm not sure what good the DROS copy does though since the legality of an AR has little to do with the lower at the time of being DROS'd. For a pistol I could maybe understand.

glock_this
04-13-2009, 9:32 AM

besides the flowchart, I keep in my Pelican a copy of the letter from Bill Lockyer to the manufacturer of my lower that it considers it a legal lower. The maker of my lower provided this to me when I purchase the lower.

Shane916
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Carrying the DROS is useless. It only shows you purchased a "Longgun".

HK Dave
04-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Guess I better start carrying paperwork.

I always have a glock 19 in a locked case under my seat.

I guess it would help if I had paperwork for it, and penal code showing that it is legal to have a gun and magazines in a locked case under my seat as long as it is relatively difficult to get open.

I believe it is also legal to have magazines loaded as long as the magazines are not IN the gun.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rtlltj
04-14-2009, 1:45 PM
The loaded mags cannot be in the same locked case as the gun.

I think your wrong. Loaded is only if the magazine is placed in position from where the pistol can be fired so I'm pretty sure you can keep loaded mags in a locked case as long as they are not inserted. The only other time they can consider a gun loaded when its actually not is when a crime is being committed or gang members.

btw always transport your rifle with an empty 10 round mag inserted so uninformed officers won't be confused when they see an empty magwell. It's perfectly legal to have an empty magwell with a bullet button but why risk it. It's much easier to explain to someone your ar has a fixed magazine if there is already one in place especially since you can show them that your finger won't drop the mag that's already in place.

dchang0
04-14-2009, 1:47 PM
Guess I better start carrying paperwork.

I always have a glock 19 in a locked case under my seat.

I guess it would help if I had paperwork for it, and penal code showing that it is legal to have a gun and magazines in a locked case under my seat as long as it is relatively difficult to get open.

I believe it is also legal to have magazines loaded as long as the magazines are not IN the gun.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do they still have that law that says you can only transport guns to and from your home and a shooting range, gunsmith, or gun shop?

AdamM
04-14-2009, 1:56 PM
Do they still have that law that says you can only transport guns to and from your home and a shooting range, gunsmith, or gun shop?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that only applies to RAWs

Im almost positive that longguns and handguns can stay in the car for however long you want, just beware of the 1000ft of a school law..

mossy590
04-14-2009, 2:03 PM
I believe that law still exists, so just tell them you're gonna show your friend, or go by the 'smith, or something.

I was told by a friend in the Cal DOJ that some counties consider a loaded magazine a loaded gun, some places only have that definition for pistol mags, though I haven't been able to find the county/city breakdown for this.

In any case I also believe ammo cannot be in the same case as a firearm while driving, in a magazine or not, empty mags are OK.

I've always had two locks between my firearms and ammo, regardless of firearm type, locked gun cases and locked ammo cans.

I'd probably find a different place to put my cased pistol, other than under the seat.

Arteel
04-14-2009, 2:15 PM
When you guys say locked, are you referring to a case that's locked with some kind of combination or key lock?

pbrand
04-14-2009, 2:38 PM
I was pulled over a couple weeks ago for registration by a CHP. I had an AK in my trunk with no papers (meaning no flow chart). Not that it mattered, but I was glad he didnt even ask me the question if I have any firearms :)

I usually keep a flowchart or two in my range bag/

djleisure
04-14-2009, 2:47 PM
Not that it mattered, but I was glad he didnt even ask me the question if I have any firearms :)

And I gotta say, the best response I've ever heard to give to that question is, "There is nothing illegal in my vehicle, officer." I have practiced saying that exact sentence, out loud many times and now it is the first thing that comes to mind as a response to that question.

rtlltj
04-14-2009, 2:50 PM
You can also just not answer the question at all since not answering a question is not probable cause.

hoffmang
04-14-2009, 3:10 PM
Magazines with rounds in them do not create a loaded firearm. Search for People v. Clark.

There is no specific need to be going somewhere with anything except Registered Assault Weapons. There are additional exemptions if you're going to the right places with a handgun but in general an unloaded handgun in a locked container is all you need to remain legal.

-Gene

-hanko
04-14-2009, 3:10 PM
The loaded mags cannot be in the same locked case as the gun.
:confused:
You may want to check the law & edit your post;).

Alternatively, you may want to check the law before you post.

-hanko

Arteel
04-14-2009, 3:19 PM
Can someone clarify a "locked" case.

djleisure
04-14-2009, 3:25 PM
Can someone clarify a "locked" case.

I'd have to recommend you go to the 2A section of this website and search "locked" - in advanced search - titles only. This has been discussed ad nauseum over there...

HK Dave
04-14-2009, 3:51 PM
If I remember the penal code correctly, you are allowed to carry your firearm along with ammunition in the same locked case in your vehicle. Nowhere in the code does it say that ammunition and firearms must be carried in separate containers. I believe this is just common misunderstanding.

The problem that a lot of LEO don't know the laws themselves... you'd be surprised how many times I've had to show cop friends the penal code for different things...

Two cop friends told me it would be a serious felony to take a firearm to another state and that I could be imprisoned for a long time....

I found out later that it is perfectly legal as long as you abide by the rules of the state you are entering.... which reminds me... i should send them an email.

Arteel
04-14-2009, 3:51 PM
Will do, thanks.