PDA

View Full Version : This had to be an amazing rifle shot(s)

kkith
04-12-2009, 6:08 PM
I'm sure you've heard by now that the Somali pirate hostage situation is over. . .
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/12/somalia.pirates/index.html

It was a 30 meter shot, not too difficult. Most could do it. But what makes the shots really amazing is that this was done AT SEA! Being ex-Navy, I can tell you all boats rock, even the huge carrier I was stationed on rocked a bit in calm waters. Take that into account with the targets on another (smaller) boat. So, it's basically a moving bench and a moving target. 3 head shots. I wonder what kind of rifle/sight combo they used.

I'm guessing it was an M24, but who knows what kind of scope. Regardless to get a headshot at sea is amazing at any distance.

MikeinnLA
04-12-2009, 6:13 PM
Well, I got jumped all over for posting the same comment, so good luck to you.:90:

However, I agree.:D

Mike

Maltese Falcon
04-12-2009, 6:13 PM
....plus at NIGHT? according to evening news.

Excellent Job NAVY Seals!

kkith
04-12-2009, 6:20 PM
Well, I got jumped all over for posting the same comment, so good luck to you.:90:

However, I agree.:D

Mike
oh sorry. i missed your comment.

Saigon1965
04-12-2009, 6:20 PM
You guys didn't see Sniper - Billy Zane took the shot from a hovering helicopter -

kkith
04-12-2009, 6:24 PM
You guys didn't see Sniper - Billy Zane took the shot from a hovering helicopter -

rofl

gewgaw
04-12-2009, 6:52 PM
How were these shots possible when the pirates were inside a covered lifeboat???

Buck_Neket
04-12-2009, 6:59 PM
actually billy zane didn't take the shot in the movie. He only took the credit.

vf111
04-12-2009, 7:06 PM
I wonder what kind of rifle/sight combo they used.

I'm guessing it was an M24, but who knows what kind of scope. Regardless to get a headshot at sea is amazing at any distance.

Pure conjecture, but the Seals and the USN still use M14's.

Requiem
04-12-2009, 7:12 PM

It depends. They have alot of funding so mission/situation would dictate. I would say that none of us will know... not soon anyway.

Maltese Falcon
04-12-2009, 7:55 PM
Infrared scopes?

Sure they had the best of the best in personnel and equipment.

AlexBreya
04-12-2009, 7:57 PM
truly amazing shots. Glad those scumbags got put down.

Ishoot
04-12-2009, 8:10 PM
Wow..tough shots especially with the consequences of a miss. :eek:

angryasian
04-12-2009, 8:20 PM

they use sr 25's too

hitandmiss1988
04-12-2009, 8:30 PM
thats some good shooting

ohsmily
04-12-2009, 8:36 PM
The report I read said it was 20-30 yard shots.

And yes, this has been posted numerous times.

kkith
04-12-2009, 9:10 PM
It depends. They have alot of funding so mission/situation would dictate. I would say that none of us will know... not soon anyway.

Oh I know what it must have been. A Gamo big cat and it's included scope. They hit them in the eyeball for the kill.

MontClaire
04-12-2009, 9:15 PM
Usually there is a shooter for each target firing all simultaneous shots on command in similar situations. Sometimes there is more then 1 per target. Might explain success.

Technical Ted
04-12-2009, 9:19 PM
Didn't you read the thread about HEAT SEEKING incendiary .50 BMG?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=165526

Tillers_Rule
04-12-2009, 9:20 PM
I'm sure they got the whole thing on video too, wonder if we're ever gonna get to see it?

Saigon1965
04-12-2009, 9:36 PM
WTF -

Didn't you read the thread about HEAT SEEKING incendiary .50 BMG?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=165526

Technical Ted
04-12-2009, 9:51 PM
WTF -
:p

That's what I said.

Crusader
04-12-2009, 9:57 PM
How were these shots possible when the pirates were inside a covered lifeboat???

That's exactly what I wondered when I first heard the story. I suspected "foul" play. I don't care though, those pirates are dead and that's exactly the outcome I had hoped for.

Rudolf the Red
04-12-2009, 10:11 PM

I watched a show on the Military Channel recently about a Sniper competition. One of the scenarios was prone out of a moving helicopter. The only team out of 33 military sniper teams to hit was the only non-military unit there. Two guys from the Pittsburg Police SWAT.

Overall, the US Army Marksmanship Unit Snipers won by a landslide.

StraightShooter
04-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I watched a show on the Military Channel recently about a Sniper competition. One of the scenarios was prone out of a moving helicopter. The only team out of 33 military sniper teams to hit was the only non-military unit there. Two guys from the Pittsburg Police SWAT.

More than one team got hits on the helicopter stage. I shoot with a guy that took third.

Cal-Irish
04-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I thought the Irish team took the helicopter stage?

I'm picturing 3 simultaneous shots. All 3 Somalis dropping at once with a nice thud.

MontClaire
04-13-2009, 12:10 AM

you would not see on your propaganda box where us army looses. probably not till we all change........can't find abama icon.

joelukehart
04-13-2009, 12:44 AM
In the April 2009 issue ''Special Weapons for Military & Police'' magazine,says that SEAL operators are given great latitude as far as weapons and accessories to their own liking. I doubt we will never find out what rifle they used, but it is great to hear that the captain is safe.

ivanimal
04-13-2009, 1:01 AM
I am glad the captain is safe $%^&*all thieves.

gn3hz3ku1*
04-13-2009, 8:17 AM

hard to measure since lot of other guys are out in theater..

JTROKS
04-13-2009, 8:27 AM
I'm sure they got the whole thing on video too, wonder if we're ever gonna get to see it?

It will be nice to show the whole world what happens to #$%^ers that #$%^ with the USA!!! I hope Pres Obama sticks withe the, "Don't #$%^ with US" stance than going back to the lame Clinton era dealing with terrorists.

trinydex
04-13-2009, 9:39 AM
Usually there is a shooter for each target firing all simultaneous shots on command in similar situations. Sometimes there is more then 1 per target. Might explain success.

i was wondering how many shooters there were

shark92651
04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
This article claims "three single shots" by snipers "firing simultaneously"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514918,00.html

aplinker
04-13-2009, 3:33 PM
A lot of those guys use Mk12's.

I've been on a few boats... a 30yd shot is cake with a rifle no matter the seas.

kkith
04-13-2009, 4:07 PM
Uh wtf?

Am I missing some logic here? Some Somali pirates are pissed at the US for rescuing our own? Apparently they don't understand the risks involved when you go out and take someone hostage.
wtf (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090413/ts_nm/us_somalia_piracy;_ylt=AgAI.YeVzLNSZkK8.QMfPasnncU F;_ylu=X3oDMTJrcWFmYzNsBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMDkwNDEzL3V zX3NvbWFsaWFfcGlyYWN5BGNwb3MDNgRwb3MDNgRzZWMDeW5fd G9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA3NvbWFsaW1pbGl0YQ--)

BlackReef
04-13-2009, 6:38 PM
A lot of those guys use Mk12's.

I've been on a few boats... a 30yd shot is cake with a rifle no matter the seas.

:rolleyes:

http://www.tacticaldouchebag.com/uploaded_images/InternetCommando-707412.jpg

JTROKS
04-13-2009, 6:40 PM
Uh wtf?

Am I missing some logic here? Some Somali pirates are pissed at the US for rescuing our own? Apparently they don't understand the risks involved when you go out and take someone hostage.
wtf (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090413/ts_nm/us_somalia_piracy;_ylt=AgAI.YeVzLNSZkK8.QMfPasnncU F;_ylu=X3oDMTJrcWFmYzNsBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMDkwNDEzL3V zX3NvbWFsaWFfcGlyYWN5BGNwb3MDNgRwb3MDNgRzZWMDeW5fd G9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA3NvbWFsaW1pbGl0YQ--)

Then we need to provide them a bit of assistance with their economy so they won't have to become pirates. A few thousand pounds of ordnance in the strategic spots should do the trick. That will keep them employed in picking up body parts and rebuilding their houses. We've been there before, fighting fire with fire is the only way, that's the only thing they understand.

ddimick
04-13-2009, 7:42 PM
The USMC still has a bit of a song about the last time we decisively dealt with pirates...

According to CNN two were in the open and one was visible behind glass/plexi in the wheelhouse.

workinwifdakids
04-13-2009, 9:04 PM
Will we ever get to see the video? Oh, sure as hell:

"Hi, I'm John Bunnell, and this is World's Wildest Pirate Videos."

I heard they didn't shoot the 4th pirate because it was...
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/walt_disney/pirates_of_the_caribbean__the_curse_of_the_black_p earl/keira_knightley/pirates.jpg

aplinker
04-13-2009, 9:19 PM
:rolleyes:

:shrug: They're calling it 20-30yds. They were proned out on the deck. I'm sorry, but that's no sharpshooting. That's fish in a barrel for those guys.

trg-s338
04-13-2009, 9:24 PM
How about the use of Predators for surgical strikes on these pirate land bases. No commitment of troops necessary. Like JTROKS said... just to reinforce the point.

StraightShooter
04-13-2009, 9:26 PM
:shrug: They're calling it 20-30yds. They were proned out on the deck. I'm sorry, but that's no sharpshooting. That's fish in a barrel for those guys.

I would agree. In precision rifle matches we have shot moving targets out to 500 yards with relative ease. Just timing the rocking of the boat while prone at a target only 30 yards away should be no problem at all unless you're in a hurricane.

submaniac
04-13-2009, 9:32 PM

Well, with all due respect, I do think it was a great shot. Target is a moving object, and the shot was taken from a moving object. No, it was not a real great distance and under normal circumstances, yeah it would be fish in a barrel for these guys (almost literally since they were out to sea and all). But what no one has mentioned is the incredible patience that the SEALs showed. Lying prone on the deck for hours (like into the middle of the night) on the deck of the Bainbridge until the 'right shot' came up. Like all this time they stayed focus and where ready to shoot. Any idiot can take a shot. The real skill of these guys is that they knowing when to take the shot. The pirates had AK's to the back of the hostage. The SEALS killed the captors without any harm to the hostage. Glad they're on our side.

peteboozer
04-13-2009, 11:05 PM
my pal hit a beer can at 100 yards with iron sights on a mosin. now THAT impressed the **** out of me even though it was pure luck

rhess595
04-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Well, with all due respect, I do think it was a great shot. Target is a moving object, and the shot was taken from a moving object. No, it was not a real great distance and under normal circumstances, yeah it would be fish in a barrel for these guys (almost literally since they were out to sea and all). But what no one has mentioned is the incredible patience that the SEALs showed. Lying prone on the deck for hours (like into the middle of the night) on the deck of the Bainbridge until the 'right shot' came up. Like all this time they stayed focus and where ready to shoot. Any idiot can take a shot. The real skill of these guys is that they knowing when to take the shot. The pirates had AK's to the back of the hostage. The SEALS killed the captors without any harm to the hostage. Glad they're on our side.

I would not be surprised of there was a little technology involved here as well. See this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7490572.html

DREADNOUGHT78
04-14-2009, 2:38 AM

I had a discussion with a friend of mine who was in a USMC sniper platoon in Fallujah in 04-05. We got into the weaopons he was using and he said alot of different stuff some snipers carried the M40 or M24 some carried a 6 shot grenade launcher. Yeah I know it didn't make sense either but I have seen the pics.He also told me that his unit hooked up with a few seals that were a part of his squad. The rifles they used were all custom. He said some sort of Winchester Model 70 actions tricked out. Also they were shooting
.300 WinMag. I dont know what these were but they sound pretty kick ***!

technique
04-14-2009, 2:47 AM

I LMFAO at this thread over some beers with a calgunner tonight.....oh man, 20-30yards is now considered "sniping"????...boy is that rich. Moving seas or not 20-30 yards is cake to anyone who frequently fires a weapon. Oh man....I can't stop laughing.:p

eijjie33
04-14-2009, 3:00 AM
talk about skill.as for the fourth pirate why the heck do they have to capture him alive.for sure if thier demands were not met they will surely kill thier captive.

ddimick
04-14-2009, 8:44 AM
Actually, the Somalian pirates haven't killed anyone yet. They've always gotten paid, eventually. Some hostages have taken beatings, though.

yakmon
04-14-2009, 9:01 AM
Q7i5twZ5cOE

jamespres2001
04-14-2009, 9:05 AM
Well, weather it was sniping or just easy target practice, hopefully this will stir up the hornet's nest and bring this pirate thing to a head. Some countries are going to have to start killing some bad guys, not just us. I remember on my two cruses to Mexico, when ever we were at port the Mexican Coast guard had boats around us, why, I don't really know, I assumed it was to protect us and the tourist industry from the bad guys.
The thing that has been lost on this Pirate thing is that the Ship was delivering Food and Supplies to Africa to aid the starving people.
Remember we are the Bad Americans!

rmasold
04-14-2009, 9:28 AM
In the April 2009 issue ''Special Weapons for Military & Police'' magazine,says that SEAL operators are given great latitude as far as weapons and accessories to their own liking. I doubt we will never find out what rifle they used, but it is great to hear that the captain is safe.

I am reading it right now.