PDA

View Full Version : What you can do with a Savage at home

Fjold
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I have a Savage 11GL in 300 WSM that I just don't shoot enough so I decided to change it to a 22.250 that will get shot more.
Here's the gun this morning:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/SavageBefore.jpg

Here's the gun this afternoon:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/SavageAfter.jpg
I put a 26" tight neck (.250") 22.250 PacNor Supermatch heavy varmint barrel on it, changed the bolt head from magnum to .473", a Sharp Shooter Supply Stainless tactical bolt handle, EGW one piece base and a Choate Ultimate Varminter stock. I also have a Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger (Adjustable from 12 oz- 2 Lbs) but I haven't decided whether to put it on yet because the trigger that came with the gun breaks at 2.5 Lbs and this gun is going to be used for varmint shooting in the field.

Here's a closer look at the action:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/SavageAction.jpg

All this took me about 2 hours to do with a big hammer, a vise, some allen wrenches, barrel nut wrench, headspace guage, etc. It would have taken less time but I put the bolt together wrong.......twice! :)

I forgot to buy some rings for it so I have to wait for them to put the scope on it.

Darklyte27
04-12-2009, 1:47 PM
clean it, test my resized brass in it. cant shoot it obviously.

chuck762
04-12-2009, 3:20 PM
Hey, you assembled it with te bolt on the wrong side. ;)
I'm a lefty but have nothing but right handed rifles. Don't know why but thats how it worked out.

That is the nice about the savage is that you can rebarrel it at home. I used to have a 110FP .308 that I put in a mcmillan stock and after playing with it it shot very well. Like a fool I sold it for a crapchester stealth .308. I finally got the winchester shooting well but it too a lot of work. From the factory it shot more like patterns that groups.

.22guy
04-12-2009, 4:30 PM
Looks good Fjold. Maybe it will kick a little less now.... :)

Fjold
04-12-2009, 5:37 PM
Looks good Fjold. Maybe it will kick a little less now.... :)

The little 36 grain varmint grenades should be a lot easier than those 180 grain loads especially in a rifle that's now over 10 Lbs.

.22guy
04-12-2009, 5:44 PM
The little 36 grain varmint grenades should be a lot easier than those 180 grain loads especially in a rifle that's now over 10 Lbs.

Sounds cool. What is the twist rate on that barrel? I was going to go with 22-250 for my coyote rifle, but my research told me that it would be hard to find a factory $600ish rifle with a good twist for the currently offered non-lead bullets. Went with .243 instead.

Fjold
04-12-2009, 6:16 PM
Sounds cool. What is the twist rate on that barrel? I was going to go with 22-250 for my coyote rifle, but my research told me that it would be hard to find a factory $600ish rifle with a good twist for the currently offered non-lead bullets. Went with .243 instead.

That's a three groove, 10" twist that I special ordered from Pacnor