PDA

View Full Version : I'd love some suggestions of a nice, very high quality, semi auto rifle.

PutTogether
04-12-2009, 1:02 AM
I'm looking for a good solid .22 that doesn't feel like a toy. It doesn't have to be a 1 inch gun at 100 yds or anything, but I would like it to be of the fit, finish, and quality, that one would be proud own it thirty years from now. The kind of thing I would want to give to my kid one day.

I'd prefer a semi auto - and I think I would like a tube fed gun - but I'm not sure and definitely open to suggestions on action, etc.

Some guns I've though about - but haven't had a chance to try:

Remington 552
Browning SA 22

Note, it doesn't HAVE to be a new gun, and I would like to stay in the $400-$700 range.

TheBundo
04-12-2009, 1:42 AM
A 10/22 feels pretty good and solid

Inoxmark
04-12-2009, 8:36 AM
Winchester Model 63 - meets pretty much every single one of your requirements:
good solid - check;
fit, finish, and quality - check;
would be proud own - check;
would want to give to my kid - check;
semi auto - check;
tube fed - check;
$400-$700 range - check (might not be very easy to find though).

Twinspool
04-12-2009, 9:11 AM
Marlin Model 60 or Thompson R55

HotRod9mm
04-12-2009, 9:22 AM
How about the Italian Weatherby XXII?

:cool:

-hanko
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm looking for a good solid .22 that doesn't feel like a toy. It doesn't have to be a 1 inch gun at 100 yds or anything, but I would like it to be of the fit, finish, and quality, that one would be proud own it thirty years from now. The kind of thing I would want to give to my kid one day.
Winchester 63 or Browning.;) No question that they're heirlooms now and forever.

A 10/22 30 years from now??? Think :sleeping:

hth

-hanko

kgcabs
04-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I love my Sa-22. Accurate, beautiful, with unsurpassed fit and finish. Little picky on ammo, but mine loves the Auto Match.

HTH, Karl

97F1504RAD
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Marlin model 60 in what ever finish you want.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60.asp

CHS
04-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Marlins are nice, but the trigger group housing is all plastic and kinda crappy. They will crack/break over time.

10/22's now come with a plastic trigger group too, but you can get the replacement metal (aluminum) ones for less than 50$ and just swap the parts over.

HotRod9mm
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Marlins are nice, but the trigger group housing is all plastic ...... but you can get the replacement metal (aluminum) ones for less than 50$ and just swap the parts over.

Yep, I got one for mine.
https://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/v/vspfiles/photos/15001-3.jpg (https://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=15001)

:cool:

Gary13
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
My Marlin 60 was given to me by my dad 30 years ago. Just picked it up yesterday, will start shooting it again.

Maybe I missed something, but did you give a price range?

PutTogether
04-12-2009, 2:06 PM
My Marlin 60 was given to me by my dad 30 years ago. Just picked it up yesterday, will start shooting it again.

Maybe I missed something, but did you give a price range?

Yeah, as long as it was under around 700-750 I'd be fine with it.

I am hearing some good things about the browning SA. Anyone else have experience? Are the new ones as nice as the old ones? Do you think it is a lot better to have the tube in the stock instead of under the barrel?

Thanks in advance -

Eric

ChaparralCommando
04-12-2009, 2:11 PM
The Thompson/Center R-55 series are nice quality autoloaders. If I were to take my pick, that would be the one. Super accurate, limited lifetime warranty, great looks, and within your price range. http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/rimfireRifles.php

Black_Talon
04-12-2009, 6:16 PM
My pick would also be a T/C R-55, either the Classic with the sporter-weight barrel and walnut stock, or the "Benchmark" with the heavy barrel and laminated stock.

Steel receiver with barrel threaded into it and super-accurate. A nice step above a 10/22. Cost around $300-400.

Saigon1965
04-12-2009, 11:17 PM
I am partial to this - Browning Grade 1 Automatic .22 LR. -

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=022B&cat_id=021&type_id=001

X-NewYawker
04-13-2009, 1:02 AM
Very nice
High Quality.

Only one gun

VOLQUARTSEN

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Volquartsen22.jpg

Best, most accurate .22 semi rifle. Many variations. will cost you basically a grand without optics. If you're serious. this is it. If you can get to Rettings in Culver City, they have about twenty in different configurations.

ErikTheRed
04-13-2009, 2:26 PM
A 10/22 30 years from now??? Think :sleeping:

Ok, I'm thinking........ and I can't come up with a single reason why my 10/22 won't be around in 30 years. I've already had it for about 11, so only 19 to go-- and she still looks/works great after countless thousands of rounds. I just ordered the Volquartzen extractor and extended mag release, which should only make it better.

-hanko
04-13-2009, 3:28 PM
Ok, I'm thinking........ and I can't come up with a single reason why my 10/22 won't be around in 30 years. I've already had it for about 11, so only 19 to go-- and she still looks/works great after countless thousands of rounds. I just ordered the Volquartzen extractor and extended mag release, which should only make it better.
Mine is a bicentennial model, it's 32 or 33 years old now.

But, op asked "I'm looking for a good solid .22 that doesn't feel like a toy. It doesn't have to be a 1 inch gun at 100 yds or anything, but I would like it to be of the fit, finish, and quality, that one would be proud own it thirty years from now. The kind of thing I would want to give to my kid one day."

30 years from now 10/22's will be a dime-a-dozen. Check the fit, finish, and quality of a Browning auto or a model 53 v. the 10/22;)

-hanko

PutTogether
04-14-2009, 1:19 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. That Volquasten (I'm sure I screwed up the spelling) sure looks nice, but is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I seriously considered the TC, but I think I really want to go with a tube fed as I like the idea of not loading magazines, just handfulls of ammo. That left me with the Remington and the Browning, and I've yet to hold a browning of any kind that didn't feel like an heirloom - so I think that is the way I am going to go.

Thanks again.

-hanko
04-14-2009, 3:25 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. That Volquasten (I'm sure I screwed up the spelling) sure looks nice, but is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I seriously considered the TC, but I think I really want to go with a tube fed as I like the idea of not loading magazines, just handfulls of ammo. That left me with the Remington and the Browning, and I've yet to hold a browning of any kind that didn't feel like an heirloom - so I think that is the way I am going to go.

Thanks again.
Two :thumbsup: Though you'll get the same vibe from the Win 53...it's also nowhere near as common as the Browning.

-hanko

Thefeeder
04-15-2009, 6:23 PM
Keep an eye out for a Browning BAR-22....a Grade I will fit in your price range

River Jack
04-15-2009, 6:48 PM
I love the look and feel of my Spike's Tactical AR-22. It's heavy, all metal (no different than a centerfire AR), accurate enough (for plinking anyhow), comes with the ability to accessorise to your heart's content, and you can have an open magwell and all the "evil" features :43: you want with no restrictions (with the exception of the 16" barrel and 26" overall length).

SDgarrick
04-15-2009, 6:54 PM
Well, I've got a brown SA-22 in my family and it's lovely. it breaks down and can be transported easily, very accurate, holds 11 rounds. no magazine to lose 30 years from now, and it's a classic design. But if You are really looking for somethign special, then pick up a browning T-bolt. It's a bolt action, but it;s a straight pull action. They just began remaking them a few years ago, the one I shoot is old, at least 30 years old, maybe 50. It shoots like a champ and my Girl can hit shotgun shells consistently at 100M... just some food for thought.

p7m8jg
04-15-2009, 7:01 PM

Me neither. I've had my Ruger 10/22 since, um 1979? why, that's almost, yes, its 30 YEARS!!!!

I think....

ErikTheRed
04-15-2009, 8:09 PM
I seriously considered the TC, but I think I really want to go with a tube fed as I like the idea of not loading magazines, just handfulls of ammo.

Loading a tube magazine really isn't any faster/slower/more-less difficult than loading a removable magazine. You still have to go one-by-one, insert into the slot, and in the right direction. I'll bet I can load a 25-round Butler Creek almost as fast as most people could load a 17 round tube mag--- it just takes doing it a few times and its cake. However, for kids, a tube mag is easier since there isn't any push/slide manipulation involved.

high_revs
04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?sprache=1

pay once; cry once.