View Full Version : .22 Not firing 100%

04-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey guys, first post.
I got what seemed like a real good deal at the time on a Marlin model 75(A shorter, cheaper model 60) that was sold under the glenfield name so it is at least 25+years old.(btw its an semi auto)
Anyway, the gun will fire fine when you rack the first round in, but after that there will be many rounds that won't fire. The gun still clicks, just the round doesn't go off. After a misfire I will rack a new round in and eject the misfire out and it will fire fine.
I am using cheap ammo. The misfires fire fine a 2nd time through. Do I just need better ammo? Or is the firing pin or a spring going out?

04-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Try a different ammo out before you tear into the gun.

tuna quesadilla
04-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Let me guess.. Remington Golden Bullets?

Next time that happens where it clicks but the round doesn't fire, pull out the round and look at the base. Is there a solid indentation from the firing pin? I've had that problem with ammo before -- the rifle was fine, and the firing pin was hitting just as hard as it should, but the ammo just was defective and it wouldn't go off. Try a few different brands of ammo too and see if it still happens.

04-11-2009, 11:23 PM
no mr. quesadilla they were Federal 35-grain hollowpoints. I didn't look real close at them so i'm not sure about the firing pin hitting hard enough, but i think your right. the brick is 2 years of sittin in the garage now too. I think I'm going to buy a brick of some good rounds and see. Any recomendations?

04-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Try CCI minimags, they cost a bit more but you will know that the ammo is not the problem. Personally I doubt the ammo was the problem anyway, but you might as well make sure. I've shot federal older than that with no problems at all.

tuna quesadilla
Most bulk pack ammo is pretty similar in consistency, cleanliness, etc. American Eagle, Winchester, Federal, etc. The Federal is usually slightly better than the rest in my experience. If you want to try some really good general-purpose ammo get the CCI Mini-Mags, but those are relatively expensive compared to a bulk pack. Fortunately .22LR ammo is pretty cheap, so it wouldn't be too expensive to go down to Walmart and buy 2 or 3 different brands to try out.

Clean the gun. I have a mod 60 that has the same problem when it gets dirty. The bolt face gets build up and the fireing pin does not hit the brass hard enough to set it off.

04-11-2009, 11:31 PM
My marlin glenfield 60 loves the cheap federal bulks packs.

04-12-2009, 6:48 AM
Excuse me it's not quite a model 60. It holds a few less in the magazine and is shorter. I heard cleaning solutions (Hoppe's #9 specifically) will really eat away the finish on model 60's. anybody had this?

04-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I agree with casurf -- clean the weapon -- years of oil, bullet lube, dirt and carbon residue probably need removal -- especially in the bolt --

04-12-2009, 5:27 PM
My glennfield hates the federal hallow points only fires about 75% of the time with them.It fires all of the jacketed bullets really well,never jams or stovepipes.My favorite bullets for it are the remington golden in bulk.Rimfire rifles are funny like that.I recommend cleaning it real well but not lubing it.That's how my rifle shoots best

04-12-2009, 7:19 PM
"Excuse me it's not quite a model 60."

The Model 75 is the same as the 60 except for the shorter barrel and tube, same action.
They will work well when they are clean and sometimes the Marlin can be picky with some bulk ammo. I use Mini Mags to test a rifle as they seem to work well in any rimfire arm I have had. Then it's a matter of finding a bulk brand it likes and than shooting the heck out of it.
I like my 75 very much even with it being 35 years old.

04-12-2009, 7:52 PM
I know it is the same gun except for ammo capacity and barrel length, that's why i said that. Thanks everybody I'm gunna clean it and try different brands of ammo.

04-12-2009, 8:01 PM
try a box of winchester super-x if you can find it or bulk "x-pert hv" that stuff is great if i ever see it again i'm buying all they have

04-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Try CCI minimags, they cost a bit more but you will know that the ammo is not the problem. Personally I doubt the ammo was the problem anyway, but you might as well make sure. I've shot federal older than that with no problems at all.

Do 22's go bad? I've shot ammo in the Mosin that is decades old

04-13-2009, 8:55 AM
Do 22's go bad? I've shot ammo in the Mosin that is decades old

I've got different brands from the 60s and 70s that I tried last weekend.
Fed, Win, CCI and Rem.

Various tips that have helped me with my Glenfield:

When you clean your 75, try using dry graphite instead of oil.
Don't forget to scrub the bolt face and use a dental pick to get into the nooks and crannies where that dirty powder debris builds up!

Arrow Doger's Powerpoint Action dissasembly walk-thru:
Powerpoint viewer is needed, if you don't have it:

Might need a new recoil spring if yours is bent or kinked.

Does yours have the bolt that stays open after the last shot?
If not, the firing pin may have become damaged from accidental dry firing.
Take a look around your chamber's face for dings as a clue.

Feed throat?

A great resource for Marlin semiautomatic .22s:

HK Dave
04-13-2009, 11:19 PM
I think CCI minimags are the only ammunition that I've shot with nearly a 100% working ratio.