PDA

View Full Version : Senate Bill 697 "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns"

pat038536
04-11-2009, 9:28 PM
Senate Bill 697, authored by State Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-7), will be considered in the Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, April 28. SB697 would prohibit the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by the authorized user. No proven, viable handgun of this type has ever been developed. The bill would require the California Attorney General to report to the Governor and Legislature on the availability of owner-authorized handguns; once the Attorney General finds that these guns are available, only “owner-authorized” handguns could be approved for sale in California. Please contact them members of the Senate Public Safety Committee and respectfully urge them to oppose this bill

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0651-0700/sb_697_bill_20090227_introduced.html

Yes, I did a search prior to post, search had no results.

bigcalidave
04-11-2009, 9:58 PM
I can't imagine a possible technological situation that could be 100% faultproof in a handgun, and no manufacturer will ever release a handgun that cannot be shot to protect it's owner, or another innocent person, if the system fails. We can count on legislature being moronic, just like with the microstamping bill. But we can also count on the manufacturers who stand to lose even more sales doing everything possible to prevent these anti gun showoff pieces of legislation from ever being completed.
I'm just running through ideas I've seen. Fingerprint? Impossible to be failsafe. Imagine the worst case scenario where your hand is bloody or dirty and the gun fails to shoot? Awful
Biometrics? really any of these situations? What happens if YOU DIE and your wife needs to pick up your gun and prevent her own loss of life? That gun better work.

rips31
04-11-2009, 10:08 PM
This type of biometrics has been incorporated into handguns. The gun is called a "Lawgiver" and is DNA specific to its original owner. However, as Judge Dreadd found out, his clone can still use his gun. :rolleyes:

Librarian
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Until now it didn't have its own thread, but it's no secret:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=131573

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=161600

Since AB 357 has been on a shorter timeline, it's been getting more attention.

697 has not yet picked up any co-sponsors, and DeSaulnier seems to be distracted by his incipient run for Tauscher's House seat. But its first hearing is scheduled for the 28th, and the beginning of the avalanche of polite notes is certainly appropriate.

Perfect thread title, BTW. Thanks.

Kid Stanislaus
04-12-2009, 5:09 AM
Senate Bill 697, authored by State Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-7), will be considered in the Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, April 28. SB697 would prohibit the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by the authorized user. No proven, viable handgun of this type has ever been developed. The bill would require the California Attorney General to report to the Governor and Legislature on the availability of owner-authorized handguns; once the Attorney General finds that these guns are available, only “owner-authorized” handguns could be approved for sale in California. Please contact them members of the Senate Public Safety Committee and respectfully urge them to oppose this bill

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0651-0700/sb_697_bill_20090227_introduced.html

Yes, I did a search prior to post, search had no results.

I wonder if they'll be subject to the same drop test as other handguns or if an exception will me made to protect those delicate electronics.

Sunwolf
04-12-2009, 5:49 AM
Ultimate test for these,police should have them first!

Warhawk014
04-12-2009, 7:09 AM
This type of biometrics has been incorporated into handguns. The gun is called a "Lawgiver" and is DNA specific to its original owner. However, as Judge Dreadd found out, his clone can still use his gun. :rolleyes:

what, judge dredd is not real, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

rrr70
04-12-2009, 7:34 AM

:rofl::rofl:

ybz
04-12-2009, 7:37 AM
I'm going to write this fantastic public servant Mr. Mark DeSaulnier and thank him for having his heart in the right place: protecting the public from accidental and unintentional shooting. I am, however, going to point out that his bill does not go far enough... I going to suggest that in addition to the 'smart' guns biometric feature, these guns should ONLY be made to shoot 'smart' ammo. This ammo will have a micro-computer imbedded inside the ammo along with a micro-camera located at the tip of the bullet. When fired, the camera identifies the object being aimed at, then using a quick transmission data transfer to insure accurate target destruction system (QTDTIATD), while the bullet is in mid-flight, the object is compared against a series of known objects (such as pictures of known criminals, or objects that are ofen shoot at), so if the QTDTIATD confirms that you are aiming at a paper target or say Bin Ladin, then no further action is needed, if however the QTDTIATD can not identify the object at target-worthy then the 'smart' gun will beep and a special passcode must be entered by the shooter on the keypad located on the gun's handle. Entering the password correctly will allow the bullet to reach the target, but at half speed, since the QTDTIATD did not clear the target, if the passcode is not entered, then the bullet just drops to the ground and the 'smart' gun will will summons law enforcement and give the GPS coordinates of both the gun and the projectile...
Now that is the kind of thinking we need from our law makers...

Timberline
04-12-2009, 7:42 AM
Thanks for the tip. Letters sent to Bill author, and my Senator.

Aegis
04-12-2009, 7:55 AM
It appears the state senator is real big on "smart" technology. Maybe the expense accounts of these politicians can be monitored by "smart" technology, so when a politician like Gil Cedillo decides to spend over $100k on lavish trips and meals as has been recently reported, the "smart" technology can tell him immediately that money could have been better used for the children.

elenius
04-12-2009, 8:13 AM

Funny you should say that, because that's what he said (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=170830).

domokun
04-12-2009, 9:13 AM
Not this one again.... :rolleyes: So what happens when the batteries on the gun fail? I think it'll be: Bad guy w/old fashioned gun wins, law abiding citizen/LEO dies.

+1 on that!

Mayhem
04-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Pretty bad when Representatives wright bills outa comic books ain't it.

Some one needs to tell DeSaulnier to stay outa the comic book shop and stop going to comicon.

This isn't the first time this anti-gun nutjob has pushed this crap either.

I think I sent him latter stating that (Sent it to the governor to) when he did this last time or started this (Was over a year ago). Arnnies auto response was he doesn't want to hear about it until it gets on his desk. Wackjob never replied He was probably trying work on a new education law after reading Archie and tax law after reading Richy Rich.