PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 vs. AR-10 Question

Odin
04-11-2009, 8:34 PM
I am new to the OLL game (just building up my first 2 5.56 lowers thanks to calguns) and I have been wondering, why is it that AR-15 stripped lowers go for anywhere from $109-250 while AR-10 lowers are $350-500. As far as I know they are manufactured using the same process (I may be wrong) and logistically it seems that there is only 15% more material so shouldn't they be only 15% more expensive? Is it that they are in low supply so the price is inflated to meet demand? Are they normally 200% more expensive or is this because of the rush on guns right now?
:confused:
Straighten me out calgunners!

C.G.
04-11-2009, 8:37 PM
Lack of standardization and not as many AR-10s/.308s made as AR-15s, therefore the production cost is higher and is passed onto the consumer.

RomanDad
04-11-2009, 8:38 PM
I am new to the OLL game (just building up my first 2 5.56 lowers thanks to calguns) and I have been wondering, why is it that AR-15 stripped lowers go for anywhere from $109-250 while AR-10 lowers are $350-500. As far as I know they are manufactured using the same process (I may be wrong) and logistically it seems that there is only 15% more material so shouldn't they be only 15% more expensive? Is it that they are in low supply so the price is inflated to meet demand? Are they normally 200% more expensive or is this because of the rush on guns right now?
:confused:
Straighten me out calgunners!

There's the same amount of metal in a Porsche as a Ford too....

Odin
04-11-2009, 9:31 PM
There's the same amount of metal in a Porsche as a Ford too....
I wouldn't say that is even close to to same. Lowers don't even have moving parts, let alone thousands of intricate pieces to upgrade or not.

Tragic Image
04-11-2009, 9:39 PM
I wouldn't say that is even close to to same. Lowers don't even have moving parts, let alone thousands of intricate pieces to upgrade or not.

I think the point was more.... Number of Fords Produced per Year vs Number of Porsche built per year....

see, I can see the bright side of anything.

Odin
04-11-2009, 9:43 PM
HA! Ok, Ok. so we are saying it is a supply shortage?

kermit315
04-11-2009, 9:50 PM
not so much a supply shortage, as there just isnt the same market for them yet. give it a couple of years, and some time free from hoarding/panic buying, and I imagine the prices will start to come down on them.

I am planning on building one for myself this summer as a birthday present to me, but I have said that about other guns too, so we will see which one actually gets built.

Odin
04-11-2009, 9:59 PM
Yeah I want to build one as well. As I said I am new to the game so I hope the prices adjust.

kermit315
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
ask Impactco about his...he has a very nice build. He let me shoot it out at Ojai. That is what made me decide I wanted to build one.