PDA

View Full Version : Zone B PTS affecting any squids here

kermit315
04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey guys.

I got orders to Pcola back in January, supposed to detach in June, report in July. I have to OBLISERV/reenlist for the orders. No big deal, I am a lifer anyway.

Found out today, that because of this Zone B PTS crap that they came out with, after I got my orders, I might not actually have any orders. Or, they might get cancelled.

I guess my CCC has been putting me in for reenlistment approval for a couple of months now, and it keeps coming back with nothing because there are no quota's available. If I dont have a quota by June, they will cancel my orders, and I will be stuck on sea duty, because I wont have enough time to get a set of orders anywhere else without OBLISERV. PTS only lets you have six looks, and I have 2 down now.

To make this better, at the First Class level, you cant really crossrate, because a) everything else is just as full and b) AT's cant crossrate at the First Class lever as per MILPERSMAN.

So, my options are:

a) they give me a quota and things proceed as scheduled

b) they dont give me a quota, I go on cruise (again) in May. I try to renegotiate another set of orders, but who knows with what luck, and might get another set of looks in PTS in 2011, when my current enlistment expires.

c) I get my other set of looks, still get told there are no quota's and get out of the Navy in 2011 as a 10 year First Class, and find a new job back home.

Is anybody else running into this, I know of at least one other person in my command dealing with this crap right now.

Requiem
04-11-2009, 9:10 AM
Option a seems hopeful I suppose. I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about reenlistments/PTSD. I wouldn't let up trying to get those orders to Pensacola if I were you though.

Good luck,
-Req

kermit315
04-11-2009, 11:48 AM
its not Post tramatic stress, it is called Perform to Serve. Its a "force shaping" tool, since the Navy is overmanned, they are looking at all kinds of creative ways to thin the herd so to speak. It used to only apply to first term Sailors. It applied to me, and they said ok. Now, I am a second term Sailor, and they have expanded the program, so I fall under it again. Now, they arent saying ok, at least not yet.

SDJim
04-11-2009, 12:46 PM
This is effecting 6 or so of the guys at the command I work at. Three of which the Navy isn't offering any alternatives for cross-rating.
I'm just wondering if someone back at the five-sided puzzle palace made a decision that it would be better (cheaper in the long run) to give these guys sep pay vice letting them go out to retirement . . .

kermit315
04-11-2009, 2:09 PM
I was worried about that when I first heard about this program too.

The Soup Nazi
04-11-2009, 2:56 PM
Sounds similar to how the Marine Corps is reinstating boat spaces for re-uppers, except the alternative to not getting chosen is to just lat move to another job. Something like that happened to a 16 year grunt I knew who got separated by the Clinton cut downs so he wouldn't qualify for retirement.

kermit315
04-11-2009, 5:00 PM
it sucks. You would think that a 7 year First Class that was capped to First would be the kind of talent you would want to keep around. Not to toot my own horn too much, but I am damn good at my job, just a few signatures from having my QPM done ( basically the same as releasing aircraft Safe for Flight). I am already working at the E7 level.

I just think these programs are way to arbitrary about whom they target and for what reasons.

I understand force shaping, but when they said they had expanded this program from first termers to second termers with continuation boards for Chiefs, I knew it had to be a way to get rid of some people with out paying them their retirement.

kermit315
04-13-2009, 4:48 PM
UPDATE: confirmed today that if I dont have a quota by the last look in May, my orders are getting cancelled, and I am probably going on cruise again, instead of transferring to shore duty.

I told them today that if that happens, since we are short on Chiefs anyway, I want the DX FDC job. I already have the qual, might as well use it.

kermit315
04-15-2009, 7:32 PM
UPDATE: found a loophole. If you were under orders prior to the message coming out, you are not affected. when I asked my CCC what was up, he played dumb, and couldnt figure out how I got put into the system. Hint: Only he can put someone in the system for our command.

Anyway, the DTG on my orders was 160706ZJAN09, and the DTG on the NAVADMIN was 162323ZJAN09. I made it by about 16 hours. I get to go to Florida.

If anybody has any questions about this, let me know. I have done some research on it, and I have a couple of resources in my hip pocket now, after all this.

Jamie

shonc99
04-22-2009, 12:41 AM
PM sent

AEC1
04-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Hell Chiefs are under the bullet now. This is good fo rme, I dont suck, so I will be retained and some dead beat 8/9'swill be asked to leave so I can advance!!!