PDA

View Full Version : Lake Pillsbury Cleanup

kawi214
04-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Ive been shooting at pillsbury for years and it just has turned into a dumping ground. Im just testing the water to see how many of you guys are up this way and would be interested. Its about 45 mins NE of ukiah.

Seesm
04-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I in Auburn so I am thinking I am 2+ hrs away... You know what I have a Bobcat if we could have a big dumpster at any of the reasonable close clean ups I could scrap all the garbage into a pile and clean it up easy and pretty fast!! Maybe too far to drag it up there but I would clean up any local one to help out our cause...

Too bad everyone who shoots does not care to keep these places clean. I do not care HOW broke or dirtbag I get I will NEVER litter or dump or not pick up MY SH*T!!

kawi214
04-11-2009, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=Seesm;2304876]I in Auburn so I am thinking I am 2+ hrs away... You know what I have a Bobcat if we could have a big dumpster at any of the reasonable close clean ups I could scrap all the garbage into a pile and clean it up easy and pretty fast!! Maybe too far to drag it up there but I would clean up any local one to help out our cause...

Too bad everyone who shoots does not care to keep these places clean. I do not care HOW broke or dirtbag I get I will NEVER litter or dump or not pick up MY SH*T!![/QUOTE

Thats awesome beats a shovel and rake any day. I grew up shooting and camping at pillsbury, it an awesome place with a lot to do. Seems like everytime I go up theres some people taking their garbage up there to shoot and then just leaves it. Wouldnt take much for someone to look at it and wanna close it down. That would be a long haul seen as the dirt road getting in right now is all tore up. just need a heli to air lift ya in.

tankerman
04-11-2009, 4:16 PM
Get enough folks with p/u trucks, fill them using the bobcat and take it too the dump.

I'm interested, depends on the date though.

shooterjeff66
04-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Kawi214, where is the Lake Pillsbury shooting area?
I live in Redding but get down there every few weeks.
I have been going to Cow Mt. What a DUMP!!!! There
is crap piled 4 ft high.
Thanks,
Jeff

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 1:54 PM
Having just successfully pulled off a Panoche cleanup this weekend, I commend you guys for looking after another site. Is this site BLM? If so, you might be able to get the rangers to help truck the stuff out. This could be a double edged sword - on one hand, you'll get official help. On the other hand, they might take one look and decide to close it down.

You might also want to approach other shooters you see at these sites, or get friends to pitch in. It seems not all shooters frequent Calguns, and if the shooting spot is lesser known, you will have trouble finding enough interested people who will help out.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Turby

halifax
04-12-2009, 2:50 PM
Ive been shooting at pillsbury for years and it just has turned into a dumping ground. Im just testing the water to see how many of you guys are up this way and would be interested. Its about 45 mins NE of ukiah.

Depending on the date, I'll tentatively volunteer. I'm in Ukiah.

Mikeb
04-12-2009, 8:07 PM
I've got a pick up and am looking for a place to shoot my swivel gun. Got a date and a map?
Take care
Mike

kawi214
04-12-2009, 8:49 PM
shooterjeff, I usually try to avoid cow mountain for that reason and that there usually a ton of people up the that dont know any kind of decent gun control. I dont like being swept with muzzles all day long. We shoot at the end of the air strip on the north side of the lake. As for the date im still trying to work out maybe getting a dumpster up there and talking to another one of my buddies who also frequents the lake and the shooting area. Thanks for the advice and offers to help that is awesome. Ill def. keep you guys posted.

Ugly Dwarf
04-13-2009, 8:47 PM
Kawi,

Shoot me a PM when you put this together. It's a haul from where I live (about 3 hours), but I've been disapointed with how much crap is getting dumped up there the last few times I've been. We always take out more than we bring, but it doesn't even make a dent.

If I'm not booked the weekend you go, I'll join you. Perhaps we can work in some long range shooting after we're done.

WCW
04-14-2009, 3:36 PM
You can count me in too guys.

JamesY
04-14-2009, 4:15 PM
If you guys shoot, don't bring any high cap mags. I was there last year with a 30rd mag and the older Ranger harassed me for it. He had to call the "home base" for clarification and he wanted to confiscate it. After about 20 min going back and fourth, he got my info from my DL and said, "I have your info and in case Ifind it to be illegal, we'll pay you a visit at home. Till then, don't use it while you're here" and give it back to me. F that place. Not worth it for such a little spot when you have Panoche

spddrcr
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I dont even know how people get all the crap up to the shooting area at cow mountain:confused:
would it even be possible to do a cleanup there? I guess if you had enough trucks to get up there it might be possible but there's no way your getting a dumpster up there and if you do it's not coming back down. i wouldnt be surprised to see that place get closed down:(

kawi214
04-15-2009, 7:55 AM
Kawi,

Shoot me a PM when you put this together. It's a haul from where I live (about 3 hours), but I've been disapointed with how much crap is getting dumped up there the last few times I've been. We always take out more than we bring, but it doesn't even make a dent.

If I'm not booked the weekend you go, I'll join you. Perhaps we can work in some long range shooting after we're done.

Will do, its gotten pretty bad maybe we will be able to make it a bit better.

kawi214
04-15-2009, 8:00 AM
I dont even know how people get all the crap up to the shooting area at cow mountain:confused:
would it even be possible to do a cleanup there? I guess if you had enough trucks to get up there it might be possible but there's no way your getting a dumpster up there and if you do it's not coming back down. i wouldnt be surprised to see that place get closed down:(

Im not talking about cleaning up cow mountain, my op is about Lake Pillsbury. Nonetheless I think a cow mtn job could be done with some work, I dont shoot there anymore so its not on my list right now.

krushem2000
04-15-2009, 4:44 PM
date and time /could give a hand/ used to fish/camp/shoot up at pillsbury. see someone dumping trash = capped in arse by fellow calgunners?

Clack
04-16-2009, 10:26 AM
What dates are you thinking? I might be able to get some more hands the weekend of the 24th after around noon time. Got a morning work party up there prior and can probably grab some guys.

How do you guys clean up the range? By hand would take a year. Magnet thing? Street sweeper machine? Never done a range cleanup but the end of the airport just looks terrible.

-Edit, just read about the bobcat and dumpster. We might need two dumpsters. It's been collecting shells since the 50s.

austin234
04-16-2009, 6:08 PM
id be down, i live in ukiah and go camping ther a few times a year with the motorcycles. ive never shot ther but i know people that do

i think just getting the big gargbage out would be a step in the right direction. some of the shells may have to stay but if you can get the TVs and propane tanks out that'll help alot

shoot me a pm or email when you decide to do it and ill try to make it out with a few people
austinronco @ hotmail.com

krushem2000
04-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Question. How much is camping on north side of the lake (not pillsbury resort)? I havent been up there in 7 years. I am interested in helping out in exchange for meeting fellow calgunners. Any list of stuff we need to bring beside garbage bags,rakes, etc??

BigDogatPlay
04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm in Sonoma County and would be interested to join in.

At some point we all should give Cow Mountain a look as well. Perhaps if it was cleaned up a bit it wouldn't attract as many undisciplined yayhoos?

austin234
04-18-2009, 12:28 PM
i think camping is free up ther, you just bring your stuff and set up camp

Clack
04-20-2009, 4:18 PM
Sunset's the nicest but I don't think it's open yet. Oak Flat is free but has more of the yahoos that free attracts. Boat camping is best.

new cal shooter
04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
If anyone has a small plane, just fly up, easy to find, just look at lake pilsberry and airport logo on gps, many guys fly up from SF to shoot up there.
talk about toys!

Charlie50
04-23-2009, 7:56 AM
Hello All, I will be there as schedule allows. We need some concrete dates proposed. I will see about borrowing a trailer to help haul stuff out. It is possible that BLM/ Rangers could assist with nearby cost effective place(s) to dump refuse allowing us to do more than one dump run. These guys already know what a mess these places are, IMO the back slash on the double edge sword is dull - better to work with local Rangers. I have never shot in the proposed area but willing to help. Being a life long dirt bike guy know first hand how a few crappy a..holes can totally mess it up for the rest of us... bad press, closing sites, etc

Richard Coop
04-23-2009, 9:43 AM
I'd be in also!

Richard Coop
05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Went up last night. Took my parents and brother. It was the first time for all of them. They couldnt believe all the shells. It actually didnt look to bad as far as crap stewn about as ive seen before. We loaded a couple garbage bags full of crap as we pulled out.

Lets get this clean up going!

treffryraxter
06-07-2009, 2:47 PM
I would also like to tenatively volunteer I have a small pick up and have used the airfield a few times, and yall are right it's high time someone cleaned it up.

bigcalidave
06-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Sucks that people had to ruin that place. I used to fly into pillsbury in the early / mid 90s and go shooting at the end of the runway. Then we would camp out at the other end...

Now I hear you can't do... any of that, right?

tankerman
06-12-2009, 9:20 PM
Sucks that people had to ruin that place. I used to fly into pillsbury in the early / mid 90s and go shooting at the end of the runway. Then we would camp out at the other end...

Now I hear you can't do... any of that, right?You can shoot, not sure about camping on the runway though. Plenty of other camping spots in the area.

bigcalidave
06-14-2009, 8:34 PM
Used to camp down the other end, around the corner, there were boulders blocking the path? It's been a while, but I remember some good fun out there :P

Richard Coop
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Anyone down for a little cleanup/shoot trip after the 4th?

hybridatsun350
07-13-2009, 2:35 PM
Next time I go up I'm going to be doing some cleanup. It just keep getting worse and worse every time I go up there! :mad:

LkPillsburyDude
07-13-2009, 6:16 PM
I used to live there for about a year. Dont hold me to it but I know a lot of people up there with tractors and such and I """MIGHT""" be able to get something together. I need new tires on my truck but would DEFINATELY go if some one could pick me up in SR on the way. Yeah the rangers there are kind of nasty, oh well, its a beautiful area.

NotEnoughGuns
07-25-2009, 4:39 PM
I always enjoy going camping up there. If I remember correctly there are 4 camp grounds that open around may 1 and close around oct? The free camp ground is Oak flat and is open year around but has no water and quite a bit of poison oak and usually a few hell raisers that want to ride there dirt bikes at midnight(although you can only ride up there between sept-may).

The range at the end of the runway is not too bad, if nobody else is there you can do some long range shooting too. It does get hot out there though. I like to take a canopy when I go.

The range usually is pretty dirty and you really don't even need to take any targets if your just plinking as there is always something to shoot at. All the garbage out there inspired me to build my own targets that don't leave any mess behind.

I've never left anything out there, but I also haven't cleaned up anyone else's mess either and after reading this thread I feel really guilty. Next time I go I will definitely do some clean up. I may get a chance to go up in late august/september, so if I can go I'll post here and maybe I can get a little help and we can do some serious shooting.

A pic of a couple of targets I made. Have lots of different animals and a few 6" and 8" round plates for long range fun with my M1A.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/davy420/targets.jpg

Just joined calguns today, It sure is nice to talk/read with other californians with similar passions.

thomashoward
07-25-2009, 7:07 PM
Nice target hangers
Oak Flat is not free anymore.(5$ Campground stiill $ucks),however there are improvements.The garbage I picked up went into the camp dumpsters

NotEnoughGuns
07-25-2009, 7:19 PM
Nice target hangers
Oak Flat is not free anymore.,however there are improvements.The garbage I picked up went into the camp dumpsters

Damn, now that I think about it, I was there in may and I heard they were going to make it a pay site. Thanks for the reminder. Guess I'll stay at sunset camp from now on if I have to pay anyways.

Calgunz420
07-28-2009, 7:10 AM
I'm from San francisco any of my fellow calgunners want to take a day trip up there was there in June did some clean up on the strip but it sure I's a battle.....lake is nice and full.

Calgunz420
08-05-2009, 4:43 PM
no one how sad......

Calgunz420
08-14-2009, 11:55 PM
theres pigs up there? im ready to do some huntin and cleaninn?

Calgunz420
08-14-2009, 11:57 PM
head up there and dig up some lead

bob_e95482
08-16-2009, 5:17 PM
I live in Ukiah and would be willing to pitch in. I shot there a couple of months ago. Mainly needs raking.

WCW
08-20-2009, 7:51 PM
I'm up there just about every weekend. I'd be happy to help out just drop me a line.

MudCamper
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Depending on the date, count me in.

I don't shoot there, but I used to camp at Oak Flats before it got so damn crowded.

Calgunz420
08-21-2009, 7:57 PM
sounds like a plann

Calgunz420
10-05-2009, 6:37 AM
Anybody want to do some clean up this weekend ?????

a1c
11-01-2009, 7:09 PM
Never been to that range, but I'm open on this coming Saturday (November 7th) for checking it out and cleaning it.

If someone is interested, I'll probably be there in the morning. I'll bring pastic bags and buckets. Maybe I'll do some shooting later as well.

kawi214
11-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Ill be heading up there this weekend 14th and 15th to do some work in camp but i plan on shooting and maybe doin a light raking job sat morning and maybe sunday depending on how it goes.

chad68
01-22-2010, 6:41 AM
I did a few minutes of shooting last sunday (damn rain wouldn't stop) and man it is a mess up there. I'm going up saturday (tomorrow). If somebody has a couple of rakes, I can bring some trash bags and haul the crap away.

I'm surprised they haven't closed it down yet. would suck because that's the only place I ever shoot at.

another question can you dump all the shotgun shells at the city dumps?