PDA

View Full Version : PR training for us 2A types...

GaffSD
04-10-2009, 7:00 PM
Okay Ladies and Gents…

I might have found my calling here. God help you!

Here is the cliffs note version:

We need to teach our fellow shooters how to spread our message in the most effective way possible. Sure, the NRA has professional front men, and yes, they’ve got serious game. Some are REALLY good. The problems are these:

1) They will never get to personally speak to the people that you interact with.

2) They do not have a personal relationship with the people that you know and love. A personal relationship is the KEY to influence.

3) There are only a few of them, thus they limit their interaction to public officials, the media and heads of industry. Yes, this is key, but limiting. There is only so much time in the day, and they have kids that have homework projects too.

I got to thinking: What if we actually TRAINED the average, personable shooter… The guy or gal that we like shooting next to at the range, to INFLUENCE and ENLIGHTEN the people around them.

I was the board Vice President of a conservative charter high school (we based our courses of study on History). Constantly under attack, we survived because of the ability to craft a message, and train AVERAGE PEOPLE how to deliver it to their friends, family and the public around them.

I’ll be honest… We eventually lost the school to the liberal education system. (a long story that requires beer and pretzels, if you’re not a CCW holder {No beer while CCWing!}). But I came to understand the power of an informed public.

Once you do that, anything is possible.

What do you think? Booths at shooting events? Gun Shows?

I welcome your thoughts.

Ron

GaffSD
04-10-2009, 7:08 PM
Okay, a little confession...

I'm a total Tony Robbins nut, so I envision this as a "Silas DoGood" meets "Tony Robbins" meets "How to Win Friends and Influence People" thing.

These are all great references...

Silas DoGood was Benjamin Franklin's "Nom de plume"

Although I don't know Tonys stance on RKBA, he is an amazing motivator and has an amazing ability to influence people.

And the ubiquitous "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is a classic.

Zebra
04-10-2009, 7:25 PM
Hi Ron,

Good to have you here! You really need to check in with Brandon, aka 'Wildhawker!'
Public relations is his game and it seems you'd be quite an asset.

Okay Ladies and Gents…

I might have found my calling here. God help you!

Here is the cliffs note version:

We need to teach our fellow shooters how to spread our message in the most effective way possible. Sure, the NRA has professional front men, and yes, they’ve got serious game. Some are REALLY good. The problems are these:

1) They will never get to personally speak to the people that you interact with.

2) They do not have a personal relationship with the people that you know and love. A personal relationship is the KEY to influence.

3) There are only a few of them, thus they limit their interaction to public officials, the media and heads of industry. Yes, this is key, but limiting. There is only so much time in the day, and they have kids that have homework projects too.

I got to thinking: What if we actually TRAINED the average, personable shooter… The guy or gal that we like shooting next to at the range, to INFLUENCE and ENLIGHTEN the people around them.

I was the board Vice President of a conservative charter high school (we based our courses of study on History). Constantly under attack, we survived because of the ability to craft a message, and train AVERAGE PEOPLE how to deliver it to their friends, family and the public around them.

I’ll be honest… We eventually lost the school to the liberal education system. (a long story that requires beer and pretzels, if you’re not a CCW holder {No beer while CCWing!}). But I came to understand the power of an informed public.

Once you do that, anything is possible.

What do you think? Booths at shooting events? Gun Shows?

I welcome your thoughts.

Ron

ETA: Check out these: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=170

Frank

squishyhead
04-10-2009, 7:35 PM
When it comes to "converting" anti-gunners, you're only hope is educating the ignorant, because you're never going to shift those with their own political agendas. That being said, the most important thing is to remove your passion from the discussion. While we're all very passionate about this issue, getting fired up and aggressive about guns and how the government is attacking our rights, will cause you to be dismissed as a paranoid gun-nut! If you can get them to accept you as a level headed individual that's worth listening to, don't try to give them a pitch. Just ask them one thing. "Have you ever wondered why our government would have an interest in keeping weapons out of the hands of law abiding citizens?"

Zebra
04-10-2009, 7:42 PM
That being said, the most important thing is to remove your passion from the discussion. While we're all very passionate about this issue, getting fired up and aggressive about guns and how the government is attacking our rights, will cause you to be dismissed as a paranoid gun-nut!
I totally disagree! Passion is the only thing that drives any issue.
For the rest I'd like to refer to my sig line.

Frank

KylaGWolf
04-10-2009, 8:18 PM
Passion is a good thing losing your cool is bad. They do not need to be one in the same.

GaffSD
04-10-2009, 8:23 PM
Zebra,

As many of you will learn, I am a total Tony Robbins nut... Flew to a seminar in Colorado Springs, and learned a TON.

THAT guy knows about passion... When he is trying to influence someone, he uses a great technique. When the individual agrees with him, he matches their level of passion. When they don't, say they make the statement:

"I will never agree that war is justifiable!"

He takes it down to a thoughtful tone and says:

"That's probably true... Let me ask you a question..."

Then goes from there. It's hard to characterize here, but his management of the STATE of the individual is truly masterfull.

I'm not saying that we can turn the entire community in to a bunch of PR pros... Just that we can improve the general tone and skills of the community to help spreat the word in the most effective way possible.

The sheer number of us, and our diverse connections, can only help us win.

Respectfully,

Ron

Zebra
04-10-2009, 9:06 PM
Ron,

I don't know much about Tony Robbins, but it sounds like he prefers a hot heart over a hot head. That's my preference too.
I think you'd appreciate the CGN mission statement. Here is an excerpt of it and the three pillars of Calguns:

Since its inception in 2002, Calguns.net has become the web’s preeminent, online community for firearm enthusiasts focusing on California’s diverse makeup of shooting genres and unique political climate. Our dynamic audience and forum participants include over 23,000 active members and supporting vendors who range from software developers to skilled tradespersons, coffee baristas to civil engineers, and law enforcement to lawyers. The extraordinary forums offered at Calguns.net provide for vibrant dialogue and detailed discussion suited to, and thoroughly enjoyed by, all people with an interest in the shooting sports and the right to keep and bear arms.

Education
Today, the question in consideration may be yours. Tomorrow, you could be the one assisting a fellow Calgunner in their search for truth and knowledge

Rights
Alone, we are but scattered noise; together, we are deafening and cannot be ignored. Join with us and let your voice be heard.
Community
We at Calguns.net are a community that looks after its own.

I think we can turn many in the community into decent PR representatives. The number 23,000 is as of last January! Feel free to PM me for a pdf of the whole treatise.

Frank
Zebra,

As many of you will learn, I am a total Tony Robbins nut... Flew to a seminar in Colorado Springs, and learned a TON.

THAT guy knows about passion... When he is trying to influence someone, he uses a great technique. When the individual agrees with him, he matches their level of passion. When they don't, say they make the statement:

"I will never agree that war is justifiable!"

He takes it down to a thoughtful tone and says:

"That's probably true... Let me ask you a question..."

Then goes from there. It's hard to characterize here, but his management of the STATE of the individual is truly masterfull.

I'm not saying that we can turn the entire community in to a bunch of PR pros... Just that we can improve the general tone and skills of the community to help spreat the word in the most effective way possible.

The sheer number of us, and our diverse connections, can only help us win.

Respectfully,

Ron