PDA

View Full Version : Calguns threads are often a "training environment"

GaffSD
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
All,

I'm starting this thread so that no one gets the wrong idea about specific people, threads or what have you.

I think that we have a responsibility to educate the general public to enhance our cause. My comments apply to posts here, questions that you get at the range, from co-workers, liberals, cops, marxists... Well, pretty much anyone that you decide not to shoot at.

Anyway, that being said, I learned MOST of my gun law from this site. I CAN NOT BE MORE GRATEFUL TO THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY. You have all made my family, community, state and country safer because I am better armed.

A little background: I was a military trainer. I trained people in matters of life and death... Situations where a failure could result in the death of you and 500 of your closest friends. Weapons and tactics both. Serious stuff.

I've seen many of these concepts in action.

Well... As a trainer (A combat systems trainer on a destroyer, a weapons handling trainer and an under sea warfare weapons and tactics instructor), I won't say I never raised my voice at a trainee. I will say, however, that when I did, I was wrong.

I was a senior Navy enlisted man. I knew how to yell. And When. When somebody was trained and signed off on a subject, and they failed to PREFORM to standards, the volume went up.

When a trainee asked a question, and I got some truly (I can say this now) STUPID questions, I would enthusiastically answer with something like "I'm glad you asked that!" Then change my approach until the training standard was met.

When someone asks a question on this forum, It's a great time to use the "I'm glad you asked that!" tact, or "I once wondered that myself" (because YOU didn't know it at one point...).

When someone comes out with a statement of OPINION, IE, is making a statement that others might think is fact... Fire away. That's called debate.

But NEVER pass up the opportunity to educate by being positive. I know... Hard lessons are the longest lasting, but they almost always come from experience, not people.

BTW, this is not a question thread. Feel free to tell me to pack sand, get lost retard or call me a liberal bent on the pu$$ification of our military. I can take it!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Ron

DDT
04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful and constructive post.

wildhawker
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
All,

I'm starting this thread so that no one gets the wrong idea about specific people, threads or what have you.

I think that we have a responsibility to educate the general public to enhance our cause. My comments apply to posts here, questions that you get at the range, from co-workers, liberals, cops, marxists... Well, pretty much anyone that you decide not to shoot at.

Anyway, that being said, I learned MOST of my gun law from this site. I CAN NOT BE MORE GRATEFUL TO THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY. You have all made my family, community, state and country safer because I am better armed.

A little background: I was a military trainer. I trained people in matters of life and death... Situations where a failure could result in the death of you and 500 of your closest friends. Weapons and tactics both. Serious stuff.

I've seen many of these concepts in action.

Well... As a trainer (A combat systems trainer on a destroyer, a weapons handling trainer and an under sea warfare weapons and tactics instructor), I won't say I never raised my voice at a trainee. I will say, however, that when I did, I was wrong.

I was a senior Navy enlisted man. I knew how to yell. And When. When somebody was trained and signed off on a subject, and they failed to PREFORM to standards, the volume went up.

When a trainee asked a question, and I got some truly (I can say this now) STUPID questions, I would enthusiastically answer with something like "I'm glad you asked that!" Then change my approach until the training standard was met.

When someone asks a question on this forum, It's a great time to use the "I'm glad you asked that!" tact, or "I once wondered that myself" (because YOU didn't know it at one point...).

When someone comes out with a statement of OPINION, IE, is making a statement that others might think is fact... Fire away. That's called debate.

But NEVER pass up the opportunity to educate by being positive. I know... Hard lessons are the longest lasting, but they almost always come from experience, not people.

BTW, this is not a question thread. Feel free to tell me to pack sand, get lost retard or call me a liberal bent on the pu$$ification of our military. I can take it!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Ron

Very well said, and excellent points. Interested in helping us educate and promote at a Calguns gun show booth or other event? We could use some folks like you to help with this very topic.

Here's a link to the events forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=170

b.faust
04-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't know who you are, but I'm really glad you're here.
:thumbsup:

Glad to have you on Calguns.
Stick around please.
B.

gunsmith
04-10-2009, 12:27 AM
you mean I should be nice to the people who believe freedom is a "loophole"?
I'll try, its very difficult though.

lioneaglegriffin
04-10-2009, 12:53 AM
you mean I should be nice to the people who believe freedom is a "loophole"?
I'll try, its very difficult though.

:eek: he didn't say be nice to them just provide a "positive response" to a what may be a simple question to you but a real conumdrum for them. Instead of sh_tin' on them. besides loopholes are fun makes you feel like your getting away with something when all your doing is folloing the rules. :rolleyes:

hoffmang
04-10-2009, 1:47 PM
Thanks for the important reminder.

-Gene

tmuller
04-10-2009, 1:57 PM
Thanks for the important reminder.

Agreed.

grahlaika
04-10-2009, 2:03 PM
Well said, GaffSD. Thank you!

nicki
04-10-2009, 2:59 PM

I guess I have started alot of debates then:43:

Good post, but of course, that's my opinion, not a fact:thumbsup:

Nicki

Lancear15
04-10-2009, 3:07 PM
I don't know who you are, but I'm really glad you're here.
:thumbsup:

Glad to have you on Calguns.
Stick around please.
B.

+1 :thumbsup:

Fjold
04-10-2009, 3:08 PM
Squid

Ivanhoe
04-10-2009, 3:21 PM
Great post. Though new to this board, not a newbie to boards in general or firearms. It always cracks me up when a seasoned poster rips someone for not using the "search function" or not knowing a certain acronym...I see it happen from bikes - to motorcycles - to (name your hobby here). I too have learned a ton here and am on my way to my first AR build because of the fine contributions. And I suck at all the acronyms in the AR world. :shrug: maybe I need to do a better search!

psssniper
04-10-2009, 3:37 PM
"I'm glad you posted that!" :thumbsup:

Librarian
04-10-2009, 5:36 PM
Sounds right to me. Welcome to our little gabfest, GaffSD.

artherd
04-10-2009, 5:49 PM
But NEVER pass up the opportunity to educate by being positive.

Incredibly well put. Thank you, please post more!

GaffSD
04-10-2009, 7:38 PM
Thank you for the kind replies... Stay tuned for the next thread. I'm thinking about a seminar on how to sell our cause. Kind of a "How to Win Friends and Influence People" meets "Tony Robbins" seminar.

Should be fun!

1BigPea
04-10-2009, 7:57 PM
Welcome...

It's nice to see a post like that here on calguns...makes me think about how we're all in this together. :thumbsup:

retired
04-10-2009, 8:43 PM
Good post Ron and welcome to Calguns.

RomanDad
04-10-2009, 8:53 PM
A good day to reflect on this. :thumbsup:

M. Sage
04-10-2009, 9:26 PM
Very good post. It's hard for people to remember, since this is the internet, but there are folks on the other end who really don't know.

Just take the question at face value, answer it and move on. Or not. It's not hard to avoid blasting someone for asking what seems like an easy question.

Now, if someone has asked the same question a dozen times.... That's different.

MikeR
04-10-2009, 10:54 PM
POUND SAND HIPPIE!!

:p Well if you think i was going to pass that one up when he asked for it ...your crazy.:p

GaffSD
04-10-2009, 11:50 PM
"Pound Sand, Hippie!"

LMAO!

Thanks bro!

Ron