PDA

View Full Version : Purpose/characteristics of CA Handgun Roster guns

bden
04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry if this has been beaten to death - I did search for an answer and found nothing, so here goes:

What is the supposed purpose of the handgun roster? Does it eliminate certain features or types of "scary" pistols ("Saturday Night Specials", etc.)? Are there any characteristics that immediately identify a gun as being off list (other than of course not being on the list)? I'm trying to get my head around this beast! Why does it exist and how does a gun get on/off the list?

Thanks!

Manic Moran
04-09-2009, 10:18 PM
The theoretical purpose (officially) is to ensure that no unsafe handguns are sold in California, in much the same manner as cars need to have certain safety features before they can be certified for sale in the US. Manufacturers provide samples of the proposed product, which get tested, they pay a fee, and it goes on the list. Initially it was a test of various characteristics, such as 'do they go off if you drop them?', but then they started adding features requirements such as a magazine disconnect or chamber loaded indicator.

The theoretical purpose (unofficially) is to make it as difficult as possible for handgun manufacturers to sell their wares in California. Samples and fees must be provided for every single model and submodel in a range, to include for each different colour or type of finish, and the fees must be routinely paid to be allowed to continue to sell the handgun in California. Adding the features requirements further eliminated the options available to us as designing such things for the CA market is not necessarily cost-effective.

NTM

TheBundo
04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
It's well a well thought out process by the same bunch that blessed us with MTBE in the gas.

Sam
04-10-2009, 1:00 AM
The gov't is just doing it's job of making sure you're "not unsafe."

Librarian
04-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Sorry if this has been beaten to death - I did search for an answer and found nothing, so here goes:

What is the supposed purpose of the handgun roster? Does it eliminate certain features or types of "scary" pistols ("Saturday Night Specials", etc.)? Are there any characteristics that immediately identify a gun as being off list (other than of course not being on the list)? I'm trying to get my head around this beast! Why does it exist and how does a gun get on/off the list?

Thanks!

It's in a sticky in the handguns forum:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

grahlaika
04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Samples and fees must be provided for every single model and submodel in a range, to include for each different colour or type of finish, and the fees must be routinely paid to be allowed to continue to sell the handgun in California.
NTM

Isn't that the definition of extortion and racketeering? Would it be inconceivable to bring a RICO case against CA? LOL.

bden
04-10-2009, 1:20 PM
Thanks all, that's what I was looking for. It's not exactly good news, but good to know.

hoffmang
04-10-2009, 8:02 PM
The purpose of the Roster is to create a slow handgun ban: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/dc-roster/Hanson-v-DC-Complaint-2009-03-09.pdf

-Gene