PDA

View Full Version : Dual residence question???

acheron800
04-09-2009, 9:57 PM
Common sense tells me I cant go to another state and buy a firearm, even if I were a resident of that state. Is this true?

Anybody have the law handy regarding this?

Id appreciate it!

Edit: And to clarify, buying and leaving the firearm there.

dustoff31
04-09-2009, 10:12 PM
If you have a legitimate residence in another state, you may buy a gun in that state when you are in residence there.

I'd recommend doing a search of the forum threads as this has been discussed at length several times and pretty much everything you'd want to know on the subject as well as links to the laws will be in there.

DDT
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Common sense tells me I cant go to another state and buy a firearm, even if I were a resident of that state. Is this true?
Yes you can. If you have a true residence in the other state you will want to get either a state ID card or a Driver's license for that state. There are a number of threads about this with lots of good info. Try a search.

Anybody have the law handy regarding this?

The law in question will be the laws of the state in which you want to buy the gun. Those are the laws that regulate the residents of their state.

Edit: And to clarify, buying and leaving the firearm there.
No need to do that unless the gun is illegal in CA, such as a CA assault weapon. If you bring in handguns though you have to take them back out within 60 days or register them in CA which will then be good for back-and-forth whenever you like.

acheron800
04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes you can. If you have a true residence in the other state you will want to get either a state ID card or a Driver's license for that state. There are a number of threads about this with lots of good info. Try a search.

The law in question will be the laws of the state in which you want to buy the gun. Those are the laws that regulate the residents of their state.

No need to do that unless the gun is illegal in CA, such as a CA assault weapon. If you bring in handguns though you have to take them back out within 60 days or register them in CA which will then be good for back-and-forth whenever you like.

Hmm thanks for the info, already have an AZ ID.

snellav
04-10-2009, 12:58 AM

I recently became an AZ resident but spend my summers in CA. To clarify, there is nothing illegal about bringing guns back and forth so long as they are CA legal and properly transported? I don't own any pistols so the 60 day thing would not be an issue.

1923mack
04-10-2009, 7:33 AM
This was discussed in another thread. Conclusion was you can have only one drivers license. Your primary residence, where you vote etcetera will be your primary. Your second home/residence, the other state, you can get an ID card. You can use you ID card to buy handguns in the other state. We even had one employee of the Nevada DMV state this was acceptable for Nevada.

DDT
04-10-2009, 7:33 AM
I recently became an AZ resident but spend my summers in CA. To clarify, there is nothing illegal about bringing guns back and forth so long as they are CA legal and properly transported? I don't own any pistols so the 60 day thing would not be an issue.

That is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can purchase firearms and exercise all the rights of any other AZ citizen as long as your are an AZ citizen. California has no authority on firearms transactions outside of CA. Federal law states that you must follow the laws of your state of residence when making a firearm purchase, it doesn't say that you can't pick which state when you have dual residency. California permits its citizens to move their firearms freely over its borders with special limitations on transport of AWs etc.