PDA

View Full Version : 10/30 Mag question

Untamed1972
04-09-2009, 5:19 PM
So here's me question. If someone had some legal preban hicaps that fit a legal featureless rifle but they also had a featured BB equipped rifle that they wanted to use them in, is there a way to temporaily make the hi-caps 10/30's so that they could be converted back to standard capacity for use with the other rifle? or must they be permanantly made into 10/30s to use with the "nearly evil" rifle?

Untamed1972
04-09-2009, 6:07 PM
I should have added....I wasn't asking in a technical sense, I'm mechanical enough to figure that part out.

I was asking in the LEGAL sense, if one could have a "temp 10/30" mag for use with one rifle, and switch it back for use with the other.

The temp setup would still be something the would require the use of a tool to switch back to standard capacity, like some kind of locking screw on the side to limit capacity that could be removed when used with the non-evil rifle.

ohsmily
04-09-2009, 6:54 PM
Without addressing your question, let me ask another: Why not buy some 10 round magazines at about 15-20 bucks per mag?

Untamed1972
04-09-2009, 6:59 PM
Without addressing your question, let me ask another: Why not buy some 10 round magazines at about 15-20 bucks per mag?

Money....why spend money to buy something else if one could use what one already has. And 10rd'ers dont fit in the mag pouches made for 30rd'ers.

Where does one get quality 10rd'ers for $15? The ones they sell at the gun show are crap.

djleisure
04-09-2009, 7:53 PM
I would say you can do anything you want. Some people around here shove a plastic piece in their 30 round mags and call it a 10 rounder. No epoxy, rivets or any other manner of "permanence." Of course, it's up to you how much convincing you want to do to any LEO or DA that your mags are definitely only 10 rounders. Your call - I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

Untamed1972
04-09-2009, 7:56 PM
Not something one would wanna do all the time, but if one were going to take a carbine class where several mags and mag pouch will be needed, and since might already have the mags and the pouch it would be nice to be able to use them for the class. But it would also be nice to not hafta permanantly alter the mags which do have other legal uses.

ohsmily
04-09-2009, 8:35 PM
As long as it is a legally owned high cap mag and you aren't creating 10/30 mags from rebuild kits, then there is no permanence required. As long as the magazine doesn't hold more than 10 rounds, it is fine.

Personally, I would buy dedicated 10 round mags. Actually, I wouldn't use 10 rounders, I would use my high caps in a featureless build.

Untamed1972
04-09-2009, 8:43 PM
As long as it is a legally owned high cap mag and you aren't creating 10/30 mags from rebuild kits, then there is no permanence required. As long as the magazine doesn't hold more than 10 rounds, it is fine.

Personally, I would buy dedicated 10 round mags. Actually, I wouldn't use 10 rounders, I would use my high caps in a featureless build.

The MMG just doesnt look conducive to tactical type training though....always looked kind of awkward to me. But i've never actually held one so I can't say for sure.

ohsmily
04-09-2009, 8:58 PM
The MMG just doesnt look conducive to tactical type training though....always looked kind of awkward to me. But i've never actually held one so I can't say for sure.

The monsterman grip is fine for a lightweight rifle. If it is a heavier carbine or rifle length AR, I prefer the U15. I think the U15 is superior for maneuverability and overall control. People have gone through rigorous rifle classes using both.

Of course, I most prefer my reg'ed Armalite.

Untamed1972
04-09-2009, 9:30 PM
The monsterman grip is fine for a lightweight rifle. If it is a heavier carbine or rifle length AR, I prefer the U15. I think the U15 is superior for maneuverability and overall control. People have gone through rigorous rifle classes using both.

Of course, I most prefer my reg'ed Armalite.

Yeah.....the U-15 always looked like a better option althought I've never held one of those either....and I don't have the $200+ to drop on one of those right now....if I did....I'd prolly just go buy some 10rd mags instead.