PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a stripped lower?

sfwdiy
04-09-2009, 4:50 PM
Most airlines don't have a problem with passengers flying with firearms, as long as they're declared and properly stored according to regulations, but do you have to declare that you're bringing a stripped lower on a flight, since the lower receiver is what is considered the firearm?

I definitely wouldn't try to stick it in my carry-on bag, but would you have to tell them at the ticket counter that you have it?

--Ben

Fjold
04-09-2009, 4:57 PM
Yes, it is a firearm according to Federal law so you must declare it and check it in at the ticket counter in a locked, hard, checked bag.

ldivinag
04-09-2009, 6:12 PM
when i bought my serbu 50 bmg, the "receiver" i got was 2 pieces of metal pipes welded together.

but what made it worth $600 is the serial number stamped on the side of it...

wash
04-09-2009, 6:40 PM
I always bring a stripped receiver if I am traveling with valuables.

That way I get to actually lock my bag/case. If it gets lost and they don't find it fast enough I'll call the local and national media about the missing "assault weapon" in the airport.

Gator Monroe
04-09-2009, 6:43 PM
iF YOU BUY A LOWER IN tEXAS AND BRING IT BACK (aLL YOU HAVE TO DO IS FOLLOW PROPER procedures ?:eek::)

Jpach
04-09-2009, 6:48 PM
So I assume we cant go to a school with a stripped receiver correct?

bwiese
04-09-2009, 6:51 PM
iF YOU BUY A LOWER IN tEXAS AND BRING IT BACK (aLL YOU HAVE TO DO IS FOLLOW PROPER procedures ?:eek::)

Like go directly to jail?

Californians can't directly buy lowers in Texas without violating Federal law, and must run it thru a CA FFL.

Gator Monroe
04-09-2009, 7:02 PM
Like go directly to jail?

Californians can't directly buy lowers in Texas without violating Federal law, and must run it thru a CA FFL.

I thought if you can own it in Ca.(Legally) and you do 10 day wait in texas (Following Ca. procedure) it's kosher ? ( Ca.Posters here buy weapons in other states do they not during travel) This should be fleshed out is OP saying he will fly out of Ca. with his lower and back with said lower ???

Gator Monroe
04-09-2009, 7:17 PM
I thought if you can own it in Ca.(Legally) and you do 10 day wait in texas (Following Ca. procedure) it's kosher ? ( Ca.Posters here buy weapons in other states do they not during travel) This should be fleshed out is OP saying he will fly out of Ca. with his lower and back with said lower ???

80% lower ?;)

bwiese
04-09-2009, 7:26 PM

No, Fed law says CA folks have to run thru a CA FFL.

A TX FFL can't sell to a Californian directly.

And if a Californian buys a gun in a TX parking lot, the Feds don't like that either.

Gator Monroe
04-09-2009, 7:28 PM
No, Fed law says CA folks have to run thru a CA FFL.

A TX FFL can't sell to a Californian directly.

And if a Californian buys a gun in a TX parking lot, the Feds don't like that either.

80% lower ????????????:confused:

yellowfin
04-09-2009, 7:55 PM
I thought they just argued that buying them in a parking lot is just fine if it's at a gunshow...or does it have to be in an Alameda county parking lot?

Meanwhile, Texans can buy all the AR lower receivers they want in Tennessee or Arkansas and residents of those can do the same. Slaves of this state, however, have less federal rights because because the fed can hold state laws binding out of state...disgusting. A post Nordyke suit on this would be very nice indeed.

tiki
04-09-2009, 8:03 PM
I thought they just argued that buying them in a parking lot is just fine if it's at a gunshow...

You have to be a resident of that state.

Gator Monroe
04-09-2009, 8:23 PM
You have to be a resident of that state.

Unless you have a C&R & it's a 1949 Russian SKS your buying ?

Plisk
04-10-2009, 1:19 AM
The stripped lower is a firearm, regaurdless if it's functional or not it's still a firearm. It's like wanting to board a plain with a Glock pistol, but there's no barrel in it. It's still a firearm, functional or not.

Gator Monroe
04-10-2009, 9:38 AM
The stripped lower is a firearm, regaurdless if it's functional or not it's still a firearm. It's like wanting to board a plain with a Glock pistol, but there's no barrel in it. It's still a firearm, functional or not.

But an 80# lower is not (you could have 4 in your carry on luggage...:confused:

DDT
04-10-2009, 9:44 AM
But an 80# lower is not (you could have 4 in your carry on luggage...:confused:

Yep..... but it might take a couple days to clear security.

Gator Monroe
04-10-2009, 9:46 AM
Yep..... but it might take a couple days to clear security.

Unless the head screener is an ardant Calgunner !:thumbsup:

DDT
04-10-2009, 9:52 AM
Wouldn't you rather just travel with a lowered stripper?