PDA

View Full Version : CBS 2, KCAL 9 sponsoring massive LAPD gun buyback

allenst65
04-09-2009, 2:54 PM
Guess the news media doesn't even care about trying to coverup their bias anymore.

Just before Mother's Day, LAPD is holding a massive gun buyback at 20 locations where people can exchange firearms for gift cards, as Villaraigosa puts it, with 'no questions asked'.
Per the reporter Lisa Sigell, "CBS 2 and KCAL 9 are proud sponsors on this gun buyback program." Ralphs supermarkets are also involved as the supplier of the gift cards.

"Turn In Your Guns, Get Some Groceries!
LOS ANGELES (CBS) ― Grocery store gift cards will be given to those who drop off their weapons during the Mother's Day weekend.
CBS 2/ KCAL 9 have teamed up with the City of Los Angeles to get more guns off the streets. Below is a list of locations that will be accepting gun drop offs on Saturday, May 9, 2009. In exchange for the weapons, valuable grocery store gift cards will be given out."

http://cbs2.com/misc/gun.buyback.turn.2.973552.html

The 'news conference' with the whoring mayor and city attorney was pathetic, appearing to be staged solely for the CBS/KCAL live report during the noontime broadcast. I've searched the local NBC 4 and ABC 7 sites and found no mention of it yet, so I guess this was clearly CBS/KCAL's moment in the spotlight, proudly so as they proclaim.

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/18/2009/04/02/320x240/gun_buyback_program.jpg

p.s. I guess from their graphic, they're accepting hand grenades too.

lioneaglegriffin
04-09-2009, 3:14 PM
um looking at the outline of guns i see a G36, a P90, a Dragunov, a grenade.... wait they buy grenades now? :p

gcvt
04-09-2009, 3:21 PM
I thought all of our legally purchased grenades were in Mexico by now.

remington
04-09-2009, 3:23 PM
Look at locations, I dont see east LA or Compton or Santa Ana. I like to see how that program works there. They would mostly likely get robbed......

Can'thavenuthingood
04-09-2009, 3:30 PM
Might be some good locations for a Calguns booth.

Lets see, Reseda, Canoga Park and Mission Hills sound like nice places for a bunch of Blue Shirts to be hanging out.

Vick

lioneaglegriffin
04-09-2009, 3:31 PM
Look at locations, I dont see east LA or Compton or Santa Ana. I like to see how that program works there. They would mostly likely get robbed......

nooooo..... that would mean crinminals want MORE guns and not to sell them for less than market value. that can't be true. :rolleyes:

awheelman357
04-09-2009, 3:48 PM
lets go there and see what people are turning and offer them 300 cash intead of the 200 gift they are going to get maybe we can get some good deals

sfwdiy
04-09-2009, 3:56 PM
lets go there and see what people are turning and offer them 300 cash intead of the 200 gift they are going to get maybe we can get some good deals

Seriously, has anyone tried this? There might be some great deals to be had!

--B

megavolt121
04-09-2009, 4:09 PM
Sounds like its time to buy some $79 Mosin Nagants...

KylaGWolf
04-09-2009, 4:12 PM
Its the typical oh look we will give you money for your bad gun. With the local pol saying what a great thing it is.

lawaia
04-09-2009, 4:30 PM
Can you say "Raven .25 Auto"? I only HOPE they are giving $200!:)

socalgunrunner
04-09-2009, 4:37 PM

Man you beat me to it. I've got a chrome plated Raven .25 auto with plastic pearl grips. I've never even fired the darn thing. Somebody gave it to me about 20 years ago.

For a $200 gift card I might just have to turn it in. Unless one of you guys wants to buy it. :thumbsup:

HappyG
04-09-2009, 4:40 PM
I'm going to go LURK at these locations and PPT something NOICE! LoL.

It would be funny if people took airsoft guns and said something along the lines of "It didn't say that it had to be real guns..."

ChuckBooty
04-09-2009, 4:42 PM
Buy back? This seems to imply that everybody buys their guns from the government or cops.

jamesob
04-09-2009, 4:43 PM
take a grenade set it on the table and say i want to keep the pin.

Ford8N
04-09-2009, 4:44 PM
Is it $200 worth of stuff for a "firearm"?

HappyG
04-09-2009, 4:45 PM
take a grenade set it on the table and say i want to keep the pin.

LMAO. Knowing how CA folk are, they'd just look confused and say ok.

TurnerBurn
04-09-2009, 5:04 PM
Look at all the churches cooperating!! Shame on them. Homeland Security has recruited nearly 25,000 church leaders to herd all of us. Watch your church!! If you're in an evangelical church and they fire up the "Romans 13" messsage, you may want to pull the ejection handle...

ldivinag
04-09-2009, 5:18 PM
location #3 is a school...

hmmmm......

CitaDeL
04-09-2009, 5:24 PM

hmmmm......

Interesting. Perhaps someone should video tape the violations of 626.9 as people bring unlocked firearms onto school campus property.

joaoalegre
04-09-2009, 6:38 PM
What if they run out of giftcards on these "anonymous" gun buybacks?

Wasn't there an incident where they ran out of giftcards, the LEOs kept the guns anyway, only to require a form of ID when they came back to redeem vouchers for giftcards?

nhanson
04-09-2009, 8:29 PM
I've got a 15 year old saturday-night junker with no firing pin cost about $90 in the late 80's.......How much are they paying out, can't seem to find it in the atricle. This might be worth my while:thumbsup:

Biff...
04-09-2009, 8:33 PM
I say we recruit a local FFL, setup a Calguns booth and start investing in the local economy:43:. I wouldn't mind buying an evil FAL, or a dangerous Garand. I volunteer to man the booth, who's with me???

Dr Rockso
04-09-2009, 8:44 PM
I say we recruit a local FFL, setup a Calguns booth and start investing in the local economy:43:. I wouldn't mind buying an evil FAL, or a dangerous Garand. I volunteer to man the booth, who's with me???
Don't even need an FFL if it's C&R 50+ y/o long gun (and I imagine a lot of it is).
http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/18/2009/04/02/320x240/gun_buyback_program.jpg
My favorite thing about the graphic is the flintlock pistol on the left; those gangsters, always with the powder horns and musket balls.

On a more serious note, if you are considering dumping some cheap crap at the buyback PLEASE DON'T. At the Oakland buyback last year there were apparently dealers from Nevada and Arizona with cardboard boxes filled with rusted old cheap handguns that they sold for $200 a pop. Guess what the newspaper headlines said: Oakland Buyback Gets Hundreds of Guns off the Street. The antis don't care that they're getting ripped off since a) it's not their money and b) they're going to torch the guns anyway. Its all about spending your tax dollars to get their propaganda out there. We need to quit helping them. I have to think that most people who go to these things (the ones who aren't criminals getting paid to destroy evidence of their crimes) are either gun folks who feel like they're gaming the system, or indifferent people who don't really know what their property is worth. Perhaps we should have appraisers go to these things to tell the old lady with a WWII M1 Carbine how much her late husband's gun is really worth.

RRangel
04-09-2009, 8:50 PM
More pretending to care hype. Since the city is so short of cash these days this may indicate where the priorities really are. If you can't beat them give a good PR show. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

mblat
04-09-2009, 8:54 PM

+1`.... what do they give for Mosins? I have couple from AIM coming for $106 ( IIRC) delivered.....

N6ATF
04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
They're spending your tax dollars to give your tax dollars back to you in disproportionate amounts to what you give them. Net gain.

If I had a face for TV, I would try to get interviewed and say "I'm so broke from the government taxing me into oblivion that I can't afford to fix these $50-or-less guns, so I'm getting my extra tax refund right here!"

glockman19
04-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Someone should alert the CA DOJ and the ATF as some of these locations are within 1000 feet of a schools in "Gun Free Zones"

Just goes to show you that even with Rocky DelGadillo and Weis, running for City Attorney, know so verry little of the laws they are supposed to uphold.

Wouldn't it be great if the ATF & CA DOJ arrested our good Mayor, who is sponsoring this. It would make for great televison watching him led off in handcuffs as viewere are told that his gun buyback program violated State and federal laws.

Maestro Pistolero
04-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Contact the sponsors of those stations and let them no you will no longer be needing their goods and services as long as they advertising there.

This is just a back handed way of demonizing guns and gun owners.

joaoalegre
04-10-2009, 1:01 AM
I've got a 15 year old saturday-night junker with no firing pin cost about $90 in the late 80's.......How much are they paying out, can't seem to find it in the atricle. This might be worth my while:thumbsup:

That gives me another idea: Finding old and used cheap air-pistols out there.
Perhaps the "inspectors" will not notice any difference.

CnCFunFactory
04-10-2009, 1:19 AM
Despicable.... period.

jumbopanda
04-10-2009, 1:51 AM
Don't even need an FFL if it's C&R 50+ y/o long gun (and I imagine a lot of it is).

My favorite thing about the graphic is the flintlock pistol on the left; those gangsters, always with the powder horns and musket balls.

On a more serious note, if you are considering dumping some cheap crap at the buyback PLEASE DON'T. At the Oakland buyback last year there were apparently dealers from Nevada and Arizona with cardboard boxes filled with rusted old cheap handguns that they sold for $200 a pop. Guess what the newspaper headlines said: Oakland Buyback Gets Hundreds of Guns off the Street. The antis don't care that they're getting ripped off since a) it's not their money and b) they're going to torch the guns anyway. Its all about spending your tax dollars to get their propaganda out there. We need to quit helping them. I have to think that most people who go to these things (the ones who aren't criminals getting paid to destroy evidence of their crimes) are either gun folks who feel like they're gaming the system, or indifferent people who don't really know what their property is worth. Perhaps we should have appraisers go to these things to tell the old lady with a WWII M1 Carbine how much her late husband's gun is really worth.

I've been saying this for a long time. DO NOT support these buybacks! You're only encouraging the antis!

allenst65
04-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I still wish someone would dig into the legalities of them conducting this on school grounds in the one case, not to mention their blatant disregard of the possibility that they're destroying evidence.

Villaraigosa might as well just start a program where they install red trashcans in front of every church with a sign saying "Once you've committed your crime, place all evidence in the can and you will be forgiven, no questions asked."

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12111592

"City gun buyback set for next month
By Rick Orlov, Staff Writer
Posted: 04/10/2009 12:00:00 AM PDT

Los Angeles city officials launched a new Mother's Day Weekend gun buyback program, working with community groups to get guns off the streets and away from potentially causing the deaths of innocent people.

"This will add to the safety and security of our entire city," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said at a news conference in South Los Angeles. "It's a chance for us to take responsibility in our own hands and stop a senseless murder."

Villaraigosa said the program has raised $70,000 through donations and will be held at locations throughout the city on May 9, when people who turn in handguns will be given a $100 certificate to be used at Ralph's Markets. Those turning in rifles, shotguns or assault weapons will be given $200 Visa gift cards.

"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime. Plans are for the Los Angeles Police Department to melt down the weapons after they are collected.

Sheriff Lee Baca has conducted a number of gun buybacks over the years, officials said.

"There have been questions over the efficacy of these, but the reality is it gets guns off the street," City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo said as he gestured to a table filled with guns. "One thing is certain. These guns will no longer be used on the streets and take the life of an innocent victim."

The amount to be paid was determined based on what police officials said is the going rate on the streets.

Councilman Jack Weiss, who chairs the council's Public Safety Committee and is running for city attorney, said the program is designed to encourage people who might have guns in their homes that they don't use. "Each gun that comes into the city's possession is one fewer gun that can cause a crime or result in the death of a child," Weiss said.

The Rev. Jeff Carr, who heads the mayor's anti-gang effort, said he hoped to see a grass-roots effort among different community groups to raise awareness of the program. "There is no better way to honor your mother than through this program," he said.

Ann Reiss Lane of Women Against Gun Violence said she believes there is another reason for people to turn in guns. "With the way the economy is, a lot of people are committing suicide," Lane said. "It makes it more difficult if there is no gun in the house."

The city will hold gun buybacks May 9 throughout Los Angeles, including eight locations in the San Fernando Valley."

CnCFunFactory
04-12-2009, 1:31 AM
The Rev. Jeff Carr, who heads the mayor's anti-gang effort, said he hoped to see a grass-roots effort among different community groups to raise awareness of the program. "There is no better way to honor your mother than through this program," he said.

Apparently the good reverend Carr has never met my mom. You'll get her snubby away from her when pigs fly. :eek:

armandolo
04-12-2009, 1:48 AM
Come on guys, give em a break. with no ammo and guns available for purchase, LAPD is turning for public help.:rofl2:

Good luck getting an SVD though.

eflatminor
04-12-2009, 6:35 AM
Imagine if just a few feet away from one of the gun buy back booths, someone were to set up a booth to collect books; books that we'll promise to get off the street by burning...just like the guns the cops will burn. We could have a recommended list of books that are potentially bad for children, but heck, we'll take ANY book because you never know what words might adversely affect a child.

If the cops are going to publically admonish the 2nd, we should point out their hypocracy by advocating repeal of the 1st. Would that not make a powerful point?

JDoe
04-12-2009, 7:52 AM
Location No. 3 - Mission Area
Alemany High School (Foothill Field parking lot)
11111 North Alemany Drive
Mission Hills, CA 91345

hmmmm......Interesting. Perhaps someone should video tape the violations of 626.9 as people bring unlocked firearms onto school campus property.

Video taping, big signs indicating the violation of California Penal Code 626.9, what about concealed carry violations?, citizens arrests?

How many of the other "collection sites" are within school zones under PC 626.9? There aren't any gun buy back loopholes for 626.9 are there?

Someone should alert the CA DOJ and the ATF as some of these locations are within 1000 feet of a schools in "Gun Free Zones"

Just goes to show you that even with Rocky DelGadillo and Weis, running for City Attorney, know so verry little of the laws they are supposed to uphold.

Wouldn't it be great if the ATF & CA DOJ arrested our good Mayor, who is sponsoring this. It would make for great televison watching him led off in handcuffs as viewere are told that his gun buyback program violated State and federal laws.

+10^72 :thumbsup:

I still wish someone would dig into the legalities of them conducting this on school grounds in the one case, not to mention their blatant disregard of the possibility that they're destroying evidence.

Villaraigosa might as well just start a program where they install red trashcans in front of every church with a sign saying "Once you've committed your crime, place all evidence in the can and you will be forgiven, no questions asked.

Good points how can they legally destroy possible evidence? :confused:

This pisses me off how is it possible for the city to sanction violating 626.9? Is there a loophole that permits gun buy backs? Are people supposedly turning in their guns that day exempt from violating school zone laws and concealed carry laws? If I'm caught with my loaded "Glock 40" in my waistband do I get excused if I say I was going to turn it in a the gun buy back? :confused:

JDoe
04-12-2009, 8:12 AM
Did a little research and it looks like location #2 is in a school zone. Location #2 is around 700 to 800 feet from Fenangeles Elementary School, 12001 Art St., Sun Valley, CA 91352. http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Fernangeles_EL/

Location No. 2 - Foothill Area
El Mana Foursquare Church
12055 Wicks Way
Sun Valley, CA 91345

Note: 12055 Wicks Way, Sun Valley doesn't appear to be a valid address and all references I can find for El Mana Foursquare Church show it at 12055 Wicks St.

http://www.foursquarechurch.org/locator/churches.sd?iid=32953

Crazed_SS
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM

Villaraigosa might as well just start a program where they install red trashcans in front of every church with a sign saying "Once you've committed your crime, place all evidence in the can and you will be forgiven, no questions asked."

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12111592

"City gun buyback set for next month
By Rick Orlov, Staff Writer
Posted: 04/10/2009 12:00:00 AM PDT

Los Angeles city officials launched a new Mother's Day Weekend gun buyback program, working with community groups to get guns off the streets and away from potentially causing the deaths of innocent people.

"This will add to the safety and security of our entire city," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said at a news conference in South Los Angeles. "It's a chance for us to take responsibility in our own hands and stop a senseless murder."

Villaraigosa said the program has raised $70,000 through donations and will be held at locations throughout the city on May 9, when people who turn in handguns will be given a $100 certificate to be used at Ralph's Markets. Those turning in rifles, shotguns or assault weapons will be given $200 Visa gift cards.

"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime. Plans are for the Los Angeles Police Department to melt down the weapons after they are collected.

Sheriff Lee Baca has conducted a number of gun buybacks over the years, officials said.

"There have been questions over the efficacy of these, but the reality is it gets guns off the street," City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo said as he gestured to a table filled with guns. "One thing is certain. These guns will no longer be used on the streets and take the life of an innocent victim."

The amount to be paid was determined based on what police officials said is the going rate on the streets.

Councilman Jack Weiss, who chairs the council's Public Safety Committee and is running for city attorney, said the program is designed to encourage people who might have guns in their homes that they don't use. "Each gun that comes into the city's possession is one fewer gun that can cause a crime or result in the death of a child," Weiss said.

Ann Reiss Lane of Women Against Gun Violence said she believes there is another reason for people to turn in guns. "With the way the economy is, a lot of people are committing suicide," Lane said. "It makes it more difficult if there is no gun in the house."

The city will hold gun buybacks May 9 throughout Los Angeles, including eight locations in the San Fernando Valley."

200 bucks for rifles?

I has two Mosins.. Mosins are rifles.

Wonder if I can convert them into 400 bucks..

626Tony
04-12-2009, 1:31 PM
if its legal sell it make more than $200 if its illegal calss 3 unregistered bastard gun take it from your closet or your kids or your closet closet and get the ralphs gift card and buy $200 worth of beer :)remember "no questions asked" espicially if its a rossi or a tarus revolver those things are crap IMO

626Tony
04-12-2009, 1:33 PM
no ballistics all will be melted and destroyed. Forensics can determine the other stuff by casing and bullet deformation

CaliTheKid
04-12-2009, 1:38 PM
Gun buy back no question asked? Sounds like a great way to dump a gun used in a crime.:rolleyes:

KylaGWolf
04-12-2009, 6:49 PM
Gee I wonder if anyone has contacted the state AG on the illegal actions of the city of LA.

Fate
04-12-2009, 7:50 PM
Who's up for doing a LOT of "private person's arrests" for school zone violations? :43:

Maestro Pistolero
04-12-2009, 9:57 PM
Victims of firearms theft could get an injunction prohibiting the destruction of these firearms until they have been screened as stolen property. Make it a 4th amendment case. You cannot deprive someone of their property without due process.

JohnBrian
04-13-2009, 1:17 AM
I have a couple of junk bolt action 20 gauge shotguns that I paid $15 for quite a number of years ago. For $400 for the two it would be worth my while to take a 200 mile round trip.

I've got a news flash for you: Regardless of whether I or AZ dealers show up or NOT to get rid of our junk guns, the antis will STILL have their propganda! Two more guns or 50 more guns or a hundred more guns makes NO flipping difference to the stupid sheeple of this here USA! The flipping news media will MAKE it look/sound like a million guns were turned in EVEN if only a half dozen are turned in! The media ALWAYS has and ALWAYS will bend (or break) the truth to further their agenda. In the meantime I get rid of my junk guns & purchase a buttload of ammo or a nice gun.

As far as the little old lady & her late husbands rare gun, unless someone (reliable & not trying to rip her off) is standing out front of the location to clue her in she will NEVER know the real value. And other than running an advertisement in "Senior Times" offering to purchase and/or appraise firearms she, again, will never know the real value.

jello2594
04-13-2009, 5:55 AM
I live within a few minutes of some of the locations, and I'm tempted to "sell" two of my rifles, but I really don't know if theyre worth more or less than $200. They were my dad's, but have no sentimental value. Besides, I have a few others, like the one he actually used in the Israeli army, and the ones I take shooting or use for SD.

Should I get rid of those two rifles and make $400??

One of the ones I'm thinking of taking in is a Remington TargetMaster 510 bolt-action .22. Probably from the late 50's or early 60's. I've never fired the thing since its so worn.

Even more worn is my other rifle, which is my longest and forcing me to have the shelf in the highest position in my gun safe. :mad:

It's an Enfield No.1 Mk 3 1918. Pics below:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/3354990700_ffb17e35ac.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/3354170005_6da140403a.jpg?v=0

cousinkix1953
04-13-2009, 6:10 AM
I thought all of our legally purchased grenades were in Mexico by now.
Bob Scheiffer interviewed a BATFE guy on CBS's Face the Nation on Sunday morning. Both a federal agent and the Mexican ambassador said that the drug cartels are getting their hand grenades and RPGs in Central and South-America. Israel was also mentioned as another source of military hardware...

cousinkix1953
04-13-2009, 6:21 AM
Bring them on. Let the gun dealers sell their cheap Raven, Jennings, Bryco, and Lorcin models to the buy back programs. These fools are paying retail prices for a bunch of so-called Saturday night specials, no stupid questions asked. No need to sell this junk to a customer and then worry about them being used by the criminals or a nutcase. And no lawsuits will be filed by the relatives of a dead murder victim either.

You can overwhelm them with some worthless handguns. There used to be a gun dealer in the Salinas area, who bought these cheapies and sold them for a small profit, to the anti-gun police departments up in the San Fransicko Bay Area...

RFB
04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
imho gunbuyback is a stupid/bad idea, but its not completely evil.

Breaking state law within the school zones should get these fools punished. You're telling me the HUGE closed K-Mart parking lot in Northridge that is a 1000' from anything isn't safer than a school zone? AND only like 2 miles from the Granada location?

I'm just sayin...

RFB

minuteman
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Is anyone familiar with die casting?

fred40
04-13-2009, 1:40 PM

LMAO. not a bad idea. I think I saw them at Big 5 for 89

AJAX22
04-13-2009, 1:49 PM
Don't do it, the enfield is probably worth some bucks... post pics of the remmington... some targetmasters can go for decent money.

I live within a few minutes of some of the locations, and I'm tempted to "sell" two of my rifles, but I really don't know if theyre worth more or less than $200. They were my dad's, but have no sentimental value. Besides, I have a few others, like the one he actually used in the Israeli army, and the ones I take shooting or use for SD.

Should I get rid of those two rifles and make $400??

One of the ones I'm thinking of taking in is a Remington TargetMaster 510 bolt-action .22. Probably from the late 50's or early 60's. I've never fired the thing since its so worn.

Even more worn is my other rifle, which is my longest and forcing me to have the shelf in the highest position in my gun safe. :mad:

It's an Enfield No.1 Mk 3 1918. Pics below:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/3354990700_ffb17e35ac.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/3354170005_6da140403a.jpg?v=0

Sleepy1988
04-13-2009, 2:13 PM
Yeah, I'm sure plenty of people will show up with G36s, PSG90s, Dragunovs and hand grenades.

Also notice the black powder (flintlock?) pistol. I'm reading into it quite a bit, but I would say that shows they don't want us to possess any firearms, or think we have a right to.

@#%! them.

DDT
04-13-2009, 3:13 PM
I wonder if they'll take a zip gun? You could make it right there at the table. About $5 worth of material from home depot should do. Just keep making them and selling them back until you get tired or chased away...

AJAX22
04-13-2009, 4:01 PM
I wonder if they'll take a zip gun? You could make it right there at the table. About $5 worth of material from home depot should do. Just keep making them and selling them back until you get tired or chased away...

Manufacturing a zip gun in front of CA law enforcement may not be the dumbest idea I've ever heard... but its up there.. ;)

seriously though, DON"T PLAY THE GAME

If you have a gun you want to get rid of..... SELL IT TO ONE OF US!!!

sure you might not get $200 for it, but it will keep a firearm in the hands of an a fellow American...

even a POS raven is a great gun to get a better gun with.

cousinkix1953
04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
imho gunbuyback is a stupid/bad idea, but its not completely evil.

Breaking state law within the school zones should get these fools punished. You're telling me the HUGE closed K-Mart parking lot in Northridge that is a 1000' from anything isn't safer than a school zone? AND only like 2 miles from the Granada location?

I'm just sayin...

RFB
I see two problems! Most of us live within 1000 feet of at least one school. Our guns were banned under a Bill Clinton executive order. And what if they had actually enforced it. The Gestapo would come after you, just like they did with those SKS sporters in 1999-00.

1000 feet is quite a long distance too. The Coastal Commission also uses the same measuring stick, to justify their interference with projects not even near the ocean.

The criminals are free to kill somebody and let the police destroy evidence for them. Nobody asks any questions at those gun buy back programs. They don't care where some gang banger got his cheap handgun or if he used it either...

N6ATF
04-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Two things:
1) Police and politicians can and do lie to you six ways 'til Sunday. Why does everyone so far seem to think they are honest when they say no questions asked, total amnesty, no forensic tests?
2) Considering how the agencies that usually run these buybacks love to violate the Constitution and harm law-abiding citizens by disarming them in favor of criminals being the only people armed, it would not surprise me if they were actually telling the truth, and destroying evidence, including evidence of their own PC 626.9 violations.

allenst65
04-14-2009, 3:46 AM
Victims of firearms theft could get an injunction prohibiting the destruction of these firearms until they have been screened as stolen property. Make it a 4th amendment case. You cannot deprive someone of their property without due process.

Interesting aspect which I looked into tonight when I was trying to see how the city or police are legally allowed to act as the buyer of the guns.

The section which exempts the PPT sales aspect and the HSC aspect of the receiving party clearly dictates how the items are to be handled.

"12078.(a)(6) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 <PPT> and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 <HSC> do not apply to sales, deliveries, or transfers of firearms to authorized representatives of cities, cities and counties, counties, or state or federal governments for those governmental agencies where the entity is acquiring the weapon as part of an authorized, voluntary program where the entity is buying or receiving weapons from private individuals. Any weapons acquired pursuant to this paragraph shall be disposed of pursuant to the applicable provisions of Section 12028 or 12032.

(c) -snip- The officers to whom the weapons are surrendered, except upon the certificate of a judge of a court of record, or of the district attorney of the county, that the retention thereof is necessary or proper to the ends of justice, may annually, between the 1st and 10th days of July, in each year, offer the weapons, which the officers in charge of them consider to have value with respect to sporting, recreational, or collection purposes, for sale at public auction to persons licensed pursuant to Section 12071 to engage in businesses involving any weapon purchased. If any weapon has been stolen and is thereafter recovered from the thief or his or her transferee, -snip-, it shall not be so offered for sale but shall be restored to the lawful owner, as soon as its use as evidence has been served, upon his or her identification of the weapon and proof of ownership, and after the law enforcement agency has complied with Section 12021.3.

(f) No stolen weapon shall be sold or destroyed pursuant to subdivision (c) or (d) unless reasonable notice is given to its lawful owner, if his or her identity and address can be reasonably ascertained."

<"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime. Plans are for the Los Angeles Police Department to melt down the weapons after they are collected.>

The plan to melt them down should come after they've determined there is no legal claim for stolen items that were collected. So is there any way to have some oversight on this and determine if LAPD actually runs the serial number to determine if they have someone's stolen property?

jello2594
04-14-2009, 7:48 AM
You gave me an idea, and I ran with it. Took pics of all 3 guns I want to sell. I'll take the first $600 from any member (plus any fees for transfer, etc.) instead of the buy-back. I just want to walk away with $600 in my pocket, and not have to drive past the San Fernando Valley, to be honest.

I put pics of all 3 guns right here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173249)

Don't do it, the enfield is probably worth some bucks... post pics of the remmington... some targetmasters can go for decent money.

AJAX22
04-14-2009, 7:50 AM
You gave me an idea, and I ran with it. Took pics of all 3 guns I want to sell. I'll take the first $600 from any member (plus any fees for transfer, etc.) instead of the buy-back. I just want to walk away with $600 in my pocket, and not have to drive past the San Fernando Valley, to be honest.

I put pics of all 3 guns right here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173249)

Those are all 50 year old + guns there shouldn't be any fees, just cash and cary...

thanks for offering them for sale.

jello2594
04-14-2009, 7:53 AM
Thanks! I inherited them all when my father passed away. The other pieces in his collection have much more sentimental value to me, so I'm keeping those.

Those are all 50 year old + guns there shouldn't be any fees, just cash and cary...

thanks for offering them for sale.

JDoe
04-14-2009, 8:26 AM
CBS 2/ KCAL 9 and the City of Los Angeles (http://cbs2.com/misc/gun.buyback.turn.2.973552.html) appear to have invited (encouraged?) the public to bring firearms to various collection sites, most of these collection sites are within 1,000 feet of a 626.9 school zone (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172932) and improper carry of a firearm within such a school zone is a violation of 626.9.

Since a violation of 626.9 is a crime and PC 31 makes it a crime to "encourage" someone to commit a crime would CBS 2/ KCAL 9 and the City of Los Angeles (etc.) be considered Principals in every violation of 626.9 that occurs as people take guns to buy back locations in 626.9 school zones?

30. The parties to crimes are classified as:
1. Principals; and,
2. Accessories.

31. All persons concerned in the commission of a crime, whether it
be felony or misdemeanor, and whether they directly commit the act
constituting the offense, or aid and abet in its commission, or, not
being present, have advised and encouraged its commission, and all
persons counseling, advising, or encouraging children under the age
of fourteen years, or persons who are mentally incapacitated, to
commit any crime, or who, by fraud, contrivance, or force, occasion
the drunkenness of another for the purpose of causing him to commit
any crime, or who, by threats, menaces, command, or coercion, compel
another to commit any crime, are principals in any crime so
committed.

glockman19
04-14-2009, 9:14 AM
I called the ATF and CA DOJ. Both agreed that what they were doing was unlawful, illegal, and that anyone bringing a firearm into the zone was in violation.

They will be contacting CBS and the LAPD.

Please call and let them know. They are interested:
CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms
Telephone Numbers
General Information
Phone: (916) 263-4887
Fax: (916) 263-0676

BATFE
Los Angeles Field Division:
Phone: 818-265-2500

glockman19
04-14-2009, 9:16 AM
Also...Go to Big 5 and buy a bunch of Moisin's $89. Gun Buy Back will give $200 visa debit cards for each one. a nice profit.

tlillard23
04-14-2009, 9:37 AM
Sweeeeeet!~
I called the ATF and CA DOJ. Both agreed that what they were doing was unlawful, illegal, and that anyone bringing a firearm into the zone was in violation.

Telephone Numbers
General Information

BATFE

jello2594
04-14-2009, 9:39 AM
That is hilarious. I love it.

Telephone Numbers
General Information

BATFE

N6ATF
04-14-2009, 10:31 AM

How much do we want to bet that they are all talk and won't do anything, professional courtesy to their allies in violating the Constitution?

jello2594
04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Hey all. Another member on here messaged me that he feels that the article in question is incorrect, so I went ahead and verified the sources. Here is what I found:

Just spoke to two people who were at Villaraigosa's press confrence, and they both confirmed that the prices written in the Daily News article are correct and what was announced. $100 for handguns, $200 for all rifles, shotguns, and assault weapons. They did verify that the increase in price is due to "the higher rates that criminals get on the streets nowadays."

mblat
04-14-2009, 1:37 PM
Hey all. Another member on here messaged me that he feels that the article in question is incorrect, so I went ahead and verified the sources. Here is what I found:

Just spoke to two people who were at Villaraigosa's press confrence, and they both confirmed that the prices written in the Daily News article are correct and what was announced. $100 for handguns, $200 for all rifles, shotguns, and assault weapons. They did verify that the increase in price is due to "the higher rates that criminals get on the streets nowadays."

OF cause so much more crime committed with rifles.... :rolleyes:

I guess I will turn in my Mosin collection..... and AIM can have some more of the City money...

mike452
04-14-2009, 2:17 PM
Angelenos who turn in their guns -- regardless of whether the firearm has been used in a crime -- will receive a gift certificate, Villaraigosa said.

LAPD officials do not plan to run ballistics tests on any of the collected firearms to match them up to unsolved crimes...

It's time to dig that sucker up from the backyard and get it melted by the LAPD.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/10/content_11159860.htm

grnt
04-14-2009, 7:37 PM
Do they take Airsoft M4's????????? I think I can buy one from the internet for 30 bucks and turn it in to get a 200 gift card. Thats enough beer for all my friends for a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I will have to borrow 30 bucks from a loan shark, cause broke from all the taxes and recession. I love California.

grnt
04-14-2009, 7:46 PM
I just saw the clip. You can sell that rust bucket you bought 10 years ago for 69 bucks, get a 200 dollar gift card, sell it to someone for a hundred buck, and use the money for a down payment on a better gun. I love LA

grnt
04-14-2009, 7:51 PM
I see the Lobsters, Fillet Mignon, 10 cases of Keystone light, Funyuns, the skies the limit. I love LAPD

JayRuff
04-14-2009, 8:47 PM
maybe the criminals will turn in their guns that they bought for a lot less than $200 and buy even better ones

cousinkix1953
04-14-2009, 9:03 PM
Also...Go to Big 5 and buy a bunch of Moisin's $89. Gun Buy Back will give $200 visa debit cards for each one. a nice profit.

Buy a s--- load of them if you have a C&R or a FFL while you're at it. Sell them at a huge profit and buy a bottle of champaigne. It's time for party, so enjoy laughing it off. Some people even made a profit, when they gave up their banned SKS sporters for $225.00 each almost ten years ago.

We made similiar telephone calls; when the Resource Center for Non-Violence was collecting guns in the Santa Cruz area around 1995. They tried to operate their program without any police oversight and even called them crooks. Everybody was told that the cops were gonna resell those guns. Lies! Never mind the laws against private party transfers in effect since 1992.

One of those RCNV directors wasn't fit to posess firearms, after he was arrested for certain crimes. Other members were known US military deserters who aren't allowed to have guns either. The feds put this whole event under the control of local police and a federally licensed gun dealer, whether these loons liked it or not. There haven't been any more gun by backs since then either...

jello2594
04-15-2009, 6:19 AM
Here's what I think is the reason for the higher prices. It's a puff-piece for Channel 2 and 9. The money comes from "donated" funds, like Ralph's Market, CBS2, and KCAL9 (plus some churches)...

Make the dollar amount given higher than usual ($200 vs $100), and now they can send camera crews to a few of the locations and have much better footage of longer lines, lots of people to interview, etc. It makes for a much better story than a cop sitting at an empty desk, waiting for someone to show up with a gun. That's for Saturday's story.

Now on Sunday, they'll have a follow-up to that story with all of the guns collected in a single room, showing off everything they collected in a big pile. Now we all feel safer, right?

An additional bonus to this.. since CBS2 and KCAL9 are "sponsors" of this event, if someone in line that they interview says something like, "Oh, Im turning in this old rusty POS to make $200 from these suckers." They simply won't run that. They can just keep going to different people until they hit Grandma, saying, "Oh, I just want to get rid of this murder machine that's been sitting in my closet so I can get some money for my medicine." Maybe they'll get lucky and get a former gang-banger to say something like, "I'm moving on from my old life and I don't know if I would have killed someone with this gun. Now with the $100/$200 I'm getting, I'm going to go to college."

SteveH
04-18-2009, 9:58 PM
I just saw the clip. You can sell that rust bucket you bought 10 years ago for 69 bucks, get a 200 dollar gift card, sell it to someone for a hundred buck, and use the money for a down payment on a better gun. I love LA

Use the gift card to buy ammo at walmart!

CALI-gula
04-19-2009, 1:54 AM
(while supplies last)

Since when are "gift cards" or VISA cards... in short supply? :rolleyes:

bsg
04-19-2009, 4:47 PM
i heard about the hoopla on kfwb 98.0 am news radio; they were trying to convince people what a great deal it would be to get $100.00 for a handgun. guess i will just have to part with one of my sigs....

Bobshouse
04-19-2009, 6:02 PM
um looking at the outline of guns i see a G36, a P90, a Dragunov, a grenade.... wait they buy grenades now? :p

I'd sell them the grenade and charge them triple for the pin...:thumbsup:

lioneaglegriffin
04-19-2009, 7:02 PM
I'd sell them the grenade and charge them triple for the pin...:thumbsup:

thats extortion!

SKSer
04-19-2009, 10:27 PM
they did one of these locally and it made front page news in my town, I almost cried at the picture of an AR that had been given up for a $200 gif card. Seriously though, I bet the rifle or the majority of it went into some LEO's trunk.

cousinkix1953
04-20-2009, 6:25 AM
Not long ago, I suggested that a pot smoking anti-gun gunowner (sic) turn in his Astra 9mm Largo pistol at a buy back. His response, "they won't gimme enough money for it." This stupid hypocrite acts like he's got one of Hitler's German Lugers. It just goes to show us, that these losers don't practice what they preach...

Silencer
04-20-2009, 9:37 AM
So, two of my friends, who've been given notices of possibly being pink slipped, are about to lose their teaching position due to lack of money, and the LAPD are giving away $200 of taxpayer money for a rifle. Unbelievable.

I had a coworker with his own FFL make $1,600 profit with one these stupid buy-backs. A few weeks later, the ATF wanted to know all about him, since he purchased the guns from us. All the guns were cheap 'throw-away' guns. I laughed out loud when the agent asked the question. The agent laughed when he found out why he bought all those cheap guns.

cousinkix1953
04-20-2009, 8:03 PM
There was a gun store in Salinas, where the owner did the same thing. Those anti-gun police chiefs paid good money for his Jennings, Bryco and Lorcin cheapies...

mzagg
04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Who's up for doing a LOT of "private person's arrests" for school zone violations? :43:

Hahaha..

mzagg
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Use the gift card to buy ammo at walmart!

What ammo? :eek:

N6ATF
04-20-2009, 11:44 PM
There was a gun store in Salinas, where the owner did the same thing. Those anti-gun police chiefs paid good money for his Jennings, Bryco and Lorcin cheapies...

Just getting our otherwise-wasted tax dollars back (net profit), unfortunately the "less evil inanimate objects on the street" spin dominates the media instead.

jello2594
04-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Mayor's office finally put put a press release for this. I had 3 guns that I simply didn't need anymore and sold them all to fellow CalGunners instead of the buy-back....
http://www.lacity.org/mayor/villaraigosaplan/PublicSafety/LACITY_006903.htm

grnt
04-28-2009, 2:55 PM
I'm ready. Already got plans for the 200 bones. Snow crab, beer, shrimp, filet mignon. Money left over, down payment on a new gun. Yeehaw!!!!

socalgunrunner
04-28-2009, 3:03 PM
Individuals turning in firearms will receive a $100 gift card for Ralph’s grocery store per gun, and a $200 Visa gift card per higher caliber weapon.

http://www.lacity.org/mayor/villaraigosaplan/PublicSafety/LACITY_006598.htm (http://www.lacity.org/mayor/villaraigosaplan/PublicSafety/LACITY_006598.htm)

I wonder what the cutoff is between "higher" and "lower" caliber.

Model X
04-28-2009, 3:45 PM
I wonder what the cutoff is between "higher" and "lower" caliber.

Hmm, i wonder if old flintlock .50 cals count as a higher caliber...

grnt
04-28-2009, 4:00 PM
Don't sell a flintlock, that might be the only legal rifle you can own in a few years. I already see 10 day background checks on 1858 remingtons with mandatory gunlocks built in, and passing the CA approved Roster LOL.

Theseus
04-28-2009, 8:48 PM
I am thinking I might just trade in my mosin too. . . Put it back in the original stock get the $200 Visa, buy a C&R license, another rifle and be in the green!

Unless someone will give me $200 for my basic M38...haha.

marklbucla
05-02-2009, 4:43 PM
http://cbs2.com/reference/Gun.Buyback.FAQ.2.999482.html#3

What is the amount per gun?
$100.00 for; hand guns, shotguns, & rifles.
$200.00 for Assault weapons; AK-47, Uzi's, AR-15.

Now that this has changed, I guess we'll be keeping that Marlin 60.

the_quark
05-02-2009, 5:28 PM
Now that this has changed, I guess we'll be keeping that Marlin 60.

It's too bad they clarified that - I'd been wondering if my old High Standard 12 gauge pump was a "handgun" or an "assault weapon."

Guess it was a handgun.

obeygiant
05-02-2009, 8:32 PM
I can't imagine anyone standing in line that would refuse $200 in cash in lieu of a gift card. Maybe I can finally pick up my Russian SKS for the price that I should have bought it for way back when.:)

cousinkix1953
05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
It's too bad they clarified that - I'd been wondering if my old High Standard 12 gauge pump was a "handgun" or an "assault weapon."

Guess it was a handgun.
Can't you convince them that an assault weapon is really any object that somebody uses in an attack? We had a nutcase student beat his Stanford university professor to death with a claw hammer in the 80s. He's just as dead as the guy who was shot with an ugly rifle. Several people are stabbed by Watsonville's gang bangers every week and some die that way too...

fnman
05-03-2009, 8:37 PM
Thanks for showing the fine print, I was thinking about dumping a couple of beaters till I read what there paying. My AK is worth more than that, So are my beaters.

What is the amount per gun?
$100.00 for; hand guns, shotguns, & rifles.
$200.00 for Assault weapons; AK-47, Uzi's, AR-15.

SteveH
05-11-2009, 10:40 AM
They ran out of gift cards withen the first two hours

Krunko
05-11-2009, 6:05 PM
I don't see why so many people are so against this.

If someone brings is uninformed enough to bring their $1000 1911 in and get $100 for it, they're probably not educated enough to be operating the thing in the first place.

If someone brings in a handgun that is worth less than $100, than it's probably barely functional anyways so it's not really much of a loss if it is destroyed.

I'd rather keep the guns in the hands of the people who have respect for them anyways. :-)

But yeah, holding this at a school is just crazy.

N6ATF
05-11-2009, 6:46 PM
But yeah, holding this at a school is just crazy ILLEGAL.

Fixed.

N6ATF
05-12-2009, 12:44 AM
John and Ken recapped this on yesterday's show poking fun at it in sort of an unexpected way.

Starts at about 6 minutes and runs to almost 12.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/KFI-AM/JK0511096P.mp3