PDA

View Full Version : Disqualifiers for LEO Position

xzw151
04-09-2009, 2:25 PM
I'll try to make this short and sweet. I have been thinking about perusing a career in law enforcement for about a year, I have some doubts and misgivings but I am coming to a point where I will have to make some sort of decision about my future. While I have no criminal record, have never been arrested, never used any drugs, and have never even gotten a moving violation while in college I did my fair share of underage drinking. Will this indiscretion be overlooked or should I find another career.

CaliTheKid
04-09-2009, 2:35 PM
Only thing to keep in mind is so much depends on how badly they need to hire people. No one is perfect and they expect that. Be honest with your background investigator and if thats the worst you've got I think you will move forward in the process. Best of luck!

Mason McDuffie
04-09-2009, 2:39 PM
I would say that at this point getting into the law enforcement field is kind of a bad idea. No one is hiring from what I hear. I had friend in the academy that got let go due to budget cut backs.

Lancear15
04-09-2009, 2:44 PM
take a loot at this site.

http://www.policejobsinfo.com/interview/probing/

itchy finger
04-09-2009, 2:45 PM
My agency is still hiring (about 150-200 per academy class) and if drinking in college is the worst you have done, apply. Even if an agency is currently not hiring, it does not hurt to try. Good luck.

Lancear15
04-09-2009, 2:46 PM
I would say that at this point getting into the law enforcement field is kind of a bad idea. No one is hiring from what I hear. I had friend in the academy that got let go due to budget cut backs.

That is true. Most departments are cutting back and at the very least not hiring. Unless you want the graveyard shift in Compton, they are always hiring ;)

But really any field is a bad idea to get into at the moment, so don't let that stop you from trying. Take some criminal justice classes at a J.C.

CaliTheKid
04-09-2009, 2:53 PM
...Unless you want the graveyard shift in Compton, they are always hiring ;)

I loved the graveyard shift in Compton!:chris::thumbsup:

Jwood562
04-09-2009, 3:49 PM
most departments are getting laxed on their requirements due to the lack of the qualified pool of applicants being all dried up. Yeah if only drinking underage is your biggest fault you should be good to go.

right now everyone is at a hiring freeze ( a few departments are still hiring though). But start plugging away at applications because the hiring procees is not a short one so right if they are taking applications put them in

Mason McDuffie
04-09-2009, 3:54 PM
That is true. Most departments are cutting back and at the very least not hiring. Unless you want the graveyard shift in Compton, they are always hiring ;)

But really any field is a bad idea to get into at the moment, so don't let that stop you from trying. Take some criminal justice classes at a J.C.

Good cal man.

AJ courses and sign up for volunteer programs would be the best bet. Just my opinion for your situation.

CaliTheKid
04-09-2009, 4:08 PM
Border Patrol is always hiring too. Gets you in as a Fed-- makes a transfer easier down the line if you decide the BP isn't for you.

Jonathan Doe
04-09-2009, 4:33 PM
They are still hiring. LEO and Fire etc. are considered critical position and some of the large agencies are still hiring. You will just have to look around. Drinking some adult juice under age is not a felony as long as you are not abusing it now. You should be okay as far as I know.

nobody33
04-09-2009, 5:07 PM
It's really competitive right now. We have explorers/cadets, people coming out of the military, or criminal justice programs in college who have been working on getting ready for the job for years. Plus now all the people who want the job because it's a pay check.

Mason McDuffie
04-09-2009, 5:08 PM
I heard really good things about the Border Patrol program. A few guys I was stationed with got picked up right out the military.

fal_762x51
04-09-2009, 5:24 PM
We have an opening for the HCSO patrol position up here.

Mason McDuffie
04-09-2009, 5:26 PM
What is the HCSO?

1911su16b870
04-09-2009, 6:08 PM
IMO the following will DQ you in your LEO app.s

Lying (on the app or during the process), addictions (sex, drugs, arson etc.), not taking personal responsibility for the bad stuff you've done or been through, and spurts of mental/personality problems (obsessive-compulsive/manic-depressive etc.)

Jonathan Doe
04-09-2009, 6:12 PM
I just filled out questionare as a reference for a LAPD applicant. Obviously they are hiring.

CSDGuy
04-09-2009, 6:23 PM
What is the HCSO?
Humboldt County Sheriff's Office...

Mason McDuffie
04-09-2009, 6:49 PM
Humboldt County Sheriff's Office...

Ahhh, thats what I thought. Thank bro.

fullrearview
04-09-2009, 7:26 PM
Departments ARE hiring....just like any other industry, you have to dig deep.

here are a few links for you..

https://www.calopps.org/results.cfm?jloca=0&JobInterest=1&SeekSal=&SeekSalAmt=&SeekSalQual=Hrsal&JobType=&keyword=

http://post.ca.gov/Hiring/Job_Opportunities/

fullrearview
04-09-2009, 7:29 PM
P.S.

Just put yourself through... It is tough, but most agencies really respect it now days. It says something about a person who goes through 6-10 months of training, while working and having a family....It WILL be worth it.

DNA
04-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I know LAXPD is still looking for people. 40 some odd spots still need filling.

Dan

Knight
04-09-2009, 10:18 PM
We have an opening for the HCSO patrol position up here.

Shhh, I'm applying for one of those positions . . . :p

xzw151
04-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all your replies and advice. I am a Bay Area native and would like to peruse something local, but like I said I need to do some soul searching before I decide to leave my career behind and embark on such a challenging path.

CnCFunFactory
04-09-2009, 11:30 PM
This job is known for its low morale and there is a very high probability you might decide it isn't for you.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/customs_careers/border_careers/

Oh come now, sitting on an "x" for 8 hrs gazing into the bright lights of Tecate while the scope calls out all those hits isn't your idea of a good time.... I don't know what could possibly be better :rolleyes:

whobob
04-10-2009, 12:13 AM
LA County is where you want to apply. Supposedly 360+ sworn officers were fired in 2007, so average of nearly 1 everyday.

heyeugenio
04-10-2009, 6:10 AM
And while I agree with most posts on this thread you will have to make the ultimate decision.

As a Bay Area LEO I know that some agencies are still looking for good guys/gals. True, some of the PD's are "broadening" the standards, it won't guarantee a spot. There's still FTO and probation to get through ON TOP of the academy.

The thing is, once you've become one of the brotherhood, you will find that life has a whole new meaning and your perspective on who you are can change.

To me, it is the truest test of character.

To answer your original question, "no", I don't believe that your under-age drinking adventures will get you bounced. I've seen and know guys that have done much worse PRIOR to making the choice to become LEO's and they are exceptional officers. On the other hand I KNEW guys that were spotless coming in turn out to be the poster child for what NOT to do as a LEO.

When we get sworn in, we as LEO's take an oath...unfortunately, some do not practice it and some tend to put their own "spin" on it.

In this day and age, when we are losing good guys to bad people, take a long hard look at yourself and ask yourself if that is the life you are willing to lead. It's a tough choice but I don't ever regret making it myself.

Good luck to you whatever you choose as it takes a strong person to know that it IS or ISN'T for them.

Be safe my brethren,

Angelo

trendar5
04-10-2009, 8:55 AM

Compton is L.A. Sheriff's now. Furthermore, many agencies are still having very high retirement numbers right now, and ARE hiring.

Ron-Solo
04-10-2009, 7:44 PM
LA County is where you want to apply. Supposedly 360+ sworn officers were fired in 2007, so average of nearly 1 everyday.

I don't know where you got your information, but it definitely is WRONG. LASD is still hiring but things have slowed down significantly this year. We have that many retirements each year (and I'll be one of them in two years) but we difinitely don't fire that many a year.

Decide if it is what you want to do, then apply everywhere that interests you. Most agencies really don't give preference to those who put themselves through an academy. They are frequently looked upon with suspicion as to "why they couldn't get hired by someone."

You can apply on-line at www.lasd.org

mjv
04-10-2009, 7:53 PM
What about credit? I know each agency is different, but I've never missed a payment in my life, but I got laid off and my lender would not entertain a short sale until I was 90 days late. I'm about to submit my PHQ's to a couple of out of state agencies and this is my biggest concern.

Stoner
04-10-2009, 8:35 PM
As long as it has been awhile since you got hammer, drinking is not a problem. Bad credit used to be a major concern, however with the current housing situation, there may be some room to explain your situation. The key to most of this is being a person who takes responsibility for your actions, and is making every effort to make it right.

I would make the rounds of most of the agencies in the bay area and pick up applications. Even during these lean times, there are lots of guys retiring. Not all are being replaced, but most agencies will have openings to fill.

And as far a collage goes for my department, an AJ background was better then no collage, but they preferred a business background. The academy will teach you what you need to know for AJ, they were interested in business degrees

whobob
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't know where you got your information, but it definitely is WRONG. LASD is still hiring but things have slowed down significantly this year. We have that many retirements each year (and I'll be one of them in two years) but we difinitely don't fire that many a year.
[/url]

Okay if I'm wrong then what is the correct number? Don't call me out and not give the answer. The info was given to me by a LEO.

BigDogatPlay
04-12-2009, 9:26 AM
Bearing in mind that some large agencies with their own programs may well make you go through their entire academy, even though you've graduated from one of the regionals. CHP, for instance.

supermario
04-12-2009, 10:23 PM
IMO the following will DQ you in your LEO app.s

Lying (on the app or during the process), addictions (sex, drugs, arson etc.), not taking personal responsibility for the bad stuff you've done or been through, and spurts of mental/personality problems (obsessive-compulsive/manic-depressive etc.)

I was disqualified for having bad credit and i drove without car insurance for one year (that was BEFORE they made it a law that you had to have insurance). They told me to clean up my credit and write a letter explaining why i drove uninsured for a year.. I wasnt able to clear up my credit and the reason i had no insurance and bad credit was becus i was poor and barely making it.. But oh well, i guess it wasnt meant to be.:(
This was 13years ago and I still have bad credit..

TheBundo
04-13-2009, 1:40 AM
In some states, with an 8th grade education and a GED, you're good to go

Bobshouse
04-13-2009, 6:42 AM
Some of my agencies biggies are:

Use of marijuana within the past 5 years.

Use of any illecit narcotic within the past 10 years.

Criminal History...NCIC check.

Failure to pay debts.

Credit report shows unpaid debts with no attempt to pay. (even repossed cars can knock you out of a position)

And if you lie to pass the integrity interview, don't expect to make your first year. I don't know how many we lost due to that fact. They would always come up and say, "well, yeah, but I figured I'd show you how good of an employee I was and you'd overlook that..." WRONG!!!

During the interview, they have already ran your NCIC and credit report. I once interviewed a guy who was caught with marijuana at a airport, he ran from the police and was caught attempting to flush it down a toilet. It was in his NCIC check. When asked about his criminal history he said "nope, clean..nothing." My follow up question was "Ever been to Dallas?" His eyes lit up and said "Oh, yeah! Completely forgot about that incident!!" Right, how often do you forget about being chased down in an airport, handcuffed and put into a police cruiser...never!

CnCFunFactory
04-13-2009, 6:48 AM
During the interview, they have already ran your NCIC and credit report. I once interviewed a guy who was caught with marijuana at a airport, he ran from the police and was caught attempting to flush it down a toilet. It was in his NCIC check. When asked about his criminal history he said "nope, clean..nothing." My follow up question was "Ever been to Dallas?" His eyes lit up and said "Oh, yeah! Completely forgot about that incident!!" Right, how often do you forget about being chased down in an airport, handcuffed and put into a police cruiser...never!

That is one of the funnier pre-employment interview stories I have heard. Thanks for the morning chuckle.

what2be
04-13-2009, 8:04 AM
Some of my agencies biggies are:

Use of marijuana within the past 5 years.

Use of any illicit narcotic within the past 10 years.

Criminal History...NCIC check.

Failure to pay debts.

Credit report shows unpaid debts with no attempt to pay. (even repossed cars can knock you out of a position)

And if you lie to pass the integrity interview, don't expect to make your first year. I don't know how many we lost due to that fact.

Hmm..interesting, ...just out of curiousity , what consitutes criminal history? What if 10 years ago someone was arrested but never convicted, due to bad warrant or screw up on the investigation, something like that? Is that still considered a disqualifier?

Also, what do you mean by if they lie to pass the integrity check? From what I understand, there is the testing for the position, then they do the NCIC, background check, then the poly, then the interview. DO you guys not do a poly? Isnt the poly the integrity check?

5hundo
04-13-2009, 8:27 AM
I'll try to make this short and sweet. I have been thinking about perusing a career in law enforcement for about a year, I have some doubts and misgivings but I am coming to a point where I will have to make some sort of decision about my future. While I have no criminal record, have never been arrested, never used any drugs, and have never even gotten a moving violation while in college I did my fair share of underage drinking. Will this indiscretion be overlooked or should I find another career.

They're not looking for priests...

They're looking for cops...

From the sound of it, you should be fine. What's your health like? Any bad injuries to speak of? (that's sometimes a deal-breaker)

bluestaterebel
04-13-2009, 9:31 AM
Unless you want the graveyard shift in Compton

Any good cop would love to work nights in Compton. for many that would be their first choice.

Bobshouse
04-13-2009, 4:43 PM
Hmm..interesting, ...just out of curiousity , what consitutes criminal history? What if 10 years ago someone was arrested but never convicted, due to bad warrant or screw up on the investigation, something like that? Is that still considered a disqualifier?

Also, what do you mean by if they lie to pass the integrity check? From what I understand, there is the testing for the position, then they do the NCIC, background check, then the poly, then the interview. DO you guys not do a poly? Isnt the poly the integrity check?

We didn't use the polygraph at our institution. We were all trained on reading body language to determine if they were telling the truth. You would be surprised what people do when lying..lol Our integrity check is a oral interview. The questions were designed to test a person's honesty. Many questions are repeated, only asked differently to catch people off guard.

A sample would be... "Marijuana is a illegal substance used by individuals to get high. While we are all not perfect, alot of us have used marijuana in the past." If the individual is observed agreeing with you by shaking his/her head yes, more than likely he/she has used marijuana sometime in their past. Our follow up question would then be "When was the last time you used marijuana?" If they are shaking their head no, they are disagreeing with your statement and our follow up would be "Have you ever tried marijuana?" More than likely this individual will answer no.

Same with criminal history, we enquire about the NCIC findings but also the individuals past with regards to doing things he/she didn't get arrested for. Again, ask a leading question and look for body language responses...depending upon the response, ask follow up questions.

It was some of the best training I'd received at DOJ... The interview process is also followed up by an intesive background investigation going back 15 years. Investigators visit old neighborhoods, schools, jobs. After completion you can request a copy of the investigation through FOI...mine was over 200 pages long.

7222 Hawker
04-16-2009, 9:26 PM

CHP is hiring like crazy.

Knight
04-16-2009, 9:36 PM
CHP is hiring like crazy.

CHP is always hiring . . .