PDA

View Full Version : AMMO, Buy as much as you can and stack it high

Faust
04-09-2009, 1:35 AM
What I mean is exactly that; some may say it's bad form to buy it all when it's available but lets be realistic and plan for the future, you may not get to shoot it all (if you buy alot) but we have an obligation to introduce new shooters to the sport, teach our kids and the neighbors kids(and their parents), and 22 with its afordable price tag makes that responsibility a lighter burden on all of us. On the same note, if you know shooters that are limiting their trigger time because of the $ of ammo, bring them in to the RF fold, those shooters are out there. Let us not ignore the ever present threats of taxation/regulation/legislation and the buying power of the dollar, so try beating me to the WW at 92173.:thumbsup:

Voo
04-09-2009, 7:56 AM
so you're trying to justifying buying all the .22 ammo for the sake of new shooters huh..? I guess that's a good way to show new shooters about how gun people are good people right? "Buy all the ammo and leave none behind.. Dont worry about anyone else."

It's already tough enough that people are hoarding like mad, but at least there is some honesty in why they're doing.

"I want the ammo for myself" - Thats at least that's closer to the truth... :rolleyes:

.22guy
04-09-2009, 9:19 AM
so you're trying to justifying buying all the .22 ammo for the sake of new shooters huh..? I guess that's a good way to show new shooters about how gun people are good people right? "Buy all the ammo and leave none behind.. Dont worry about anyone else."

It's already tough enough that people are hoarding like mad, but at least there is some honesty in why they're doing.

"I want the ammo for myself" - Thats at least that's closer to the truth... :rolleyes:

It's a little thing called capitalism. If you don't like it, move to Cuba.

rtlltj
04-09-2009, 9:22 AM
The only reason I buy ammo in quantities of more than I need at that time is it's no secret that ammo prices have always increased. The more you buy now saves you money later. You may see ammo prices level off but they are never going to drop in price.

Mason McDuffie
04-09-2009, 9:26 AM
I agree with the original poster. I am always taking new shooters to the range to get them into the sport. The first day I dont really ask them to chip in for ammo, so I make sure that I have stocked up on the lower calibers so they can have some fun.

I hardly think its bad for a person to want to save money either. Now, if their hording ammo just for hording sake, well as lame as that is they have that right. I'm not gonna get pissed how another man/woman spends her hard earned money.

smle-man
04-09-2009, 9:30 AM
Buy ammo but be nice and leave a bit behind for others. Those new shooters will quickly get frustrated if they never find ammo and will drop out of the sport. We need new people in this hobby or it will die. I see too many grey headed guys like me at the range and not enough teens and twenty somethings.

Mason McDuffie
04-09-2009, 9:33 AM
Thats a very good point SMLE. I guess rule of thumb, leave some box's on the shelves for the guy behind you as a courtesy. I just gave one of mu friends a .303 Enfield and he wanted to go shoot. He went to 2 different Big 5's and 2 shops to get ammo. Finally he came over to my house and said hey thanks for the gun I cant shoot. Haha, we laughed had a beer and I took the gun back. J/K but he was pretty upset about not finding ammo.

Gator Monroe
04-09-2009, 9:37 AM
I have 600+ 308 bullits for reloading (and I don't even own or plan on owning (unless it's a cetme build) a rifle in that cal. ... Buy reloading supplies and stack it deep !:thumbsup:

old-trapper
04-09-2009, 9:54 AM
ill take the .308.bullets......pm sent....LOL

EastBayRidge
04-09-2009, 9:56 AM
This post needs more:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Faust
04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Hoard it if you can afford it, and if you're not willing to make it a priority to find some at a good price than pay the premium for it. Shooting and to some extent fishing are my ONLY sports and I do not need ammo, I want ammo to do with it what I please, you can complain about it, join in the frenzy or wait and take your chances; of course that may all change tomorrow.

reidnez
04-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't begrudge anybody hoarding the stuff. I rarely buy ammo in brick-and-mortar stores, anyway, and it's not that much of a hassle to check a few websites every now and then to see if they have good deals. I predict (and hope) that all this will calm down. If it keeps up for long enough, the companies will eventually increase their production to match supply. But they aren't going to do that for what they see as a temporary spike, because they would lose money in the long-run when demand wanes.

smle-man
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Hoard it if you can afford it, and if you're not willing to make it a priority to find some at a good price than pay the premium for it. Shooting and to some extent fishing are my ONLY sports and I do not need ammo, I want ammo to do with it what I please, you can complain about it, join in the frenzy or wait and take your chances; of course that may all change tomorrow.

So much for the fellowship of shooters.

Faust
04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
"But they aren't going to do that for what they see as a temporary spike, because they would lose money in the long-run when demand wanes. "
Precisely! and demand will if this administration has it's way.

Voo
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't begrudge anyone for hoarding ammo. On the contrary, I'm quite the hoarder myself. I firmly believe in the idea that if you're smarter/work harder/are more gainfully employed then you should be able to fully reap the benefits of your efforts (ie buying as much ammo (or anything) you can afford). I did my whoring some time back before the current frenzy and to date I haven't had to buy commercial ammo in over a year.

My point, since some of you didnt' catch it the first time, was that I simply found it a bit incredulous to attribute 'whoring of ammo' to something related with showing some philanthropic consideration to new shooters. Do you really believe thats' why you're buying it up? But "hey", I could be wrong- You could be a really nice guy that's actually stockpiling ammo to help new shooters. But as you put it yourself, is that really the reason why "I" should be racing you to the Walmart's throughout San Diego??

Please do buy as much as you can afford. I do, I am extremely selfish about it. I make ZERO excuses for it as well. I have no issues either if you buy all of it to simply turn around and sell it here/there/on CG for a profit. As I stated previously, if you're in a position to do that, definitely more power to you.

For me, it's the mixing of selfish desires with something 'altruistic' that's a bit unsavory. It's absolutely pathetic to say it's "for the children" when it's clearly not.

I hope that's a bit more understandable.

bobbyblank
04-09-2009, 1:19 PM
I don't begrudge anyone for hoarding ammo. On the contrary, I'm quite the hoarder myself. I firmly believe in the idea that if you're smarter/work harder/are more gainfully employed then you should be able to fully reap the benefits of your efforts (ie buying as much ammo (or anything) you can afford). I did my whoring some time back before the current frenzy and to date I haven't had to buy commercial ammo in over a year.

My point, since some of you didnt' catch it the first time, was that I simply found it a bit incredulous to attribute 'whoring of ammo' to something related with showing some philanthropic consideration to new shooters. Do you really believe thats' why you're buying it up? But "hey", I could be wrong- You could be a really nice guy that's actually stockpiling ammo to help new shooters. But as you put it yourself, is that really the reason why "I" should be racing you to the Walmart's throughout San Diego??

Please do buy as much as you can afford. I do, I am extremely selfish about it. I make ZERO excuses for it as well. I have no issues either if you buy all of it to simply turn around and sell it here/there/on CG for a profit. As I stated previously, if you're in a position to do that, definitely more power to you.

For me, it's the mixing of selfish desires with something 'altruistic' that's a bit unsavory. It's absolutely pathetic to say it's "for the children" when it's clearly not.

I hope that's a bit more understandable.

Nope, not understandable to me at all really...

This is exactly why i regret letting people know that the walmart in rancho cordova had some bulk federal. I posted they had some in, and when i went down today to pick some up for myself, 2 guys just like yourself bought everything they had. i think around 20 bricks of federal bulk and all the 9mm.

I wont make that mistake again, its stuff like that which makes me regret trying to take the high road in crazy times like this. Guess thats what i get for trying to be a good guy and not dropping down to the level of all the people waiting in a 10 person line to buy all they can. An as to your theory that being more "Gainfully employed" means you can afford to buy up all you can so you can "fully reap the benefits of your efforts", well guess what? Im Gainfully employed and make good money, but you dont see me at mallmart buying 25,000 rounds of .22, just because i can afford to, screw everyone else...I earned all this ammo...lol. I could buy out a walmart in one shot also, but i dont feel the need to do that, i buy a 3-5k every now and again, every few months.

But like you might as well have said..... screw everyone else, get a better job losers, make more money bums, then you can have ammo :thumbsup:

At least thats what it sounded like to me....

Maybe i shoud give that a shot some day :confused:

Gator Monroe
04-09-2009, 2:10 PM
Remember the scene in Blackhawk down when the Battle was about to begin and the militia ran into the Arms Bazar and just grabbed everything without paying and took off to do battle?:thumbsup:

hellraiser
04-09-2009, 2:18 PM
This post needs more:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Faust
04-09-2009, 2:48 PM
Buy it, leave nothing behind! shoot it, sell it for profit or share it with the un-initiated to get them going or simply complain about empty shelves, I don't care and if my preaching "philantrophy" is too much for you, too bad. I spend my money my way for my reazons and I know you do the same, I was just puting it out there for the ones that only buy for the next sesion on the range. Buy it all! send the message that we will keep on shooting, tell the mfg's to make more and keep making more for the ammo whores like you and me.
Faust.

Voo
04-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Nope, not understandable to me at all really...

This is exactly why i regret letting people know that the walmart in rancho cordova had some bulk federal. I posted they had some in, and when i went down today to pick some up for myself, 2 guys just like yourself bought everything they had. i think around 20 bricks of federal bulk and all the 9mm.

I wont make that mistake again, its stuff like that which makes me regret trying to take the high road in crazy times like this. Guess thats what i get for trying to be a good guy and not dropping down to the level of all the people waiting in a 10 person line to buy all they can. An as to your theory that being more "Gainfully employed" means you can afford to buy up all you can so you can "fully reap the benefits of your efforts", well guess what? Im Gainfully employed and make good money, but you dont see me at mallmart buying 25,000 rounds of .22, just because i can afford to, screw everyone else...I earned all this ammo...lol. I could buy out a walmart in one shot also, but i dont feel the need to do that, i buy a 3-5k every now and again, every few months.

But like you might as well have said..... screw everyone else, get a better job losers, make more money bums, then you can have ammo :thumbsup:

At least thats what it sounded like to me....

Maybe i shoud give that a shot some day :confused:

Your reading comprehension is somewhat lacking perhaps? You might benefit from reading my post again.

I whore. I admit it. But guess what- I did this over a year ago, at a point in time when ammo was plentiful and restocked the next day or week. I AM NOT the guy buying all of it now on a weekly basis. Sorry, but you'll have to point your displeasure at someone else. As I originally stated that while I'm a 'hoarder", I have yet to buy commercial (blazer, wwb, remington..etc etc) ammo in over 12 months.

Also don't mistake my attitude for elitism. Hard work doesnt entitle one to more freedom, it simply allows you to enjoy more of the freedoms society has to offer. If someone works harder/smarter/more than the next guy, then why shouldn't they be able to enjoy the benefits that come from a direct result of making more money? I'll give you an example as to avoid confusion.

[ex. 1] I want a BMW 5 series. They're about 80,000 US dollars. I work at McDonalds. For whatever reason, that's where I ended up. Nothing wrong with it, as it's an honest living, but the pay is minimum wage for California. I went to the BMW dealership and the nice salesman said he would sell me one. We did the math, and I would have to save for 3 months to meet the first month of payment. Minimum wage really needs to go up for me to be able to afford to buy one.

[ex. 2] I want a BMW 5 series. They're about 80,000 US dollars. At a younger age, I saw the value of a higher education. So, I busted my butt, attended university and finished med school. I am now a cardiac surgeon. The dealership said they would sell me one. I say, "no" and write them a check for 2- one black one white.

The only difference between the two is that one has a job that earns more income. They can both buy the BMW, but only one can really afford it. It's your responsibilty to be able to afford it- there's no entitlement or unfairness. No one's stopping you from buying it. If you want something, then by all means go and find a job that pays you well enough to afford it. Until then, you (like anyone else) should be free to buy whatever you want. We're not discussing things like 'gasoline, water, milk, bread". Remember, it's only ammo.

My main issue was with the OP's poorly veiled excuse for buying up ammo. I simply wanted to point out how 'refreshing' it was to see people use the guise of philanthropy to hide their selfishness.

triggerhappy
04-13-2009, 9:17 AM

May I please steal this to use as a signature???

smle-man
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I've been buying and keeping ammo since the 80s. I probably have at least a 10 year supply right now but I don't feel the compulsion to buy every last cartridge I see everytime I see it. Be nice and leave a bit for the other shooters.

Bizcuits
04-13-2009, 1:41 PM
I don't need to justify hoarding ammo. But I'l race you to Walmart! :thumbsup:

ErikTheRed
04-13-2009, 1:51 PM
If all hell broke loose and you were packin' up to bug out for the hills, would you leave a stockpile of ammo sitting on your front porch with a sign that reads "AMMO: free for those who need it, but please only take one box and leave the rest for others"?

Umm, no. You would not. When I find ammo at the store, I buy what I can afford. No more, no less, and I don't give any thought to "gee whiz, they only have two boxes of .40 left........ I better leave some for the next guy." Uhhh, no. The next guy can buy what he can afford, when he finds it for sale. I shop proactively for my ammo, and when I find what I want, I buy it. Everyone else is free to do the same, and they'll likely find the same results. I prefer not to socialize my ammo buying practices, thank you very much.

CSACANNONEER
04-13-2009, 2:20 PM
The only people who are complaining about the recent lack of ammo are those who were not smart enough to "hoard," "stockpile," "collect" or invest in ammo when it was available. I've always found it funny that there are so many gun owners who only buy ammo when they want to go shooting. If I find 20 boxes of Federal .22lr at Walmart, they will be mine because, I need to replace the last 20 boxes I've shot since I was last able to find some for sale. Buying 11,000 rounds at a time might seem like hoarding to some but, it's only a few months supply to others. OTOH, I've been leaving ALL the centerfire ammo at WalMart because, it's still a lot cheaper for me to reload and, I get much better ammo too!

jpnosworthy
04-13-2009, 2:50 PM
I whore. I admit it.

So that's your "gainful employment", huh?

-J

Clinton
04-13-2009, 5:47 PM
I see too many grey headed guys like me at the range and not enough teens and twenty somethings.

Oh, I see PLENTY of teens and twenty somethings at the range. Just not the ones I'd like to see own guns.

JTFPEST
04-13-2009, 6:34 PM
Heck if I can find it I'll buy it. I have a budget for ammo and will buy what I can...... If I can find any the places around Vacaville that even have any. Believe me it's not a gun friendly place.. So LOL and buy when you can because in some place's it's hard to get ANYTIME!

Born2Lose
04-13-2009, 6:59 PM
I think you're too late on your suggestion. I've been looking for .22 federal bricks online or otherwise (and not get raped on the price) for a month. Every time i ask about it at Walmart or big 5 they literally laugh at me. Got a raincheck for the recent "sale" at big 5 on them and the guy said it could be a month or two before they get anymore in stock.

Arteel
04-13-2009, 10:12 PM
That sucks. It doesn't seem too hard to find 22lr locally in Norcal.

I think you're too late on your suggestion. I've been looking for .22 federal bricks online or otherwise (and not get raped on the price) for a month. Every time i ask about it at Walmart or big 5 they literally laugh at me. Got a raincheck for the recent "sale" at big 5 on them and the guy said it could be a month or two before they get anymore in stock.

chickenfried
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Sine you're preaching maybe you should share from your huge ammo stash, at cost of curse :p
I've been buying and keeping ammo since the 80s. I probably have at least a 10 year supply right now but I don't feel the compulsion to buy every last cartridge I see everytime I see it. Be nice and leave a bit for the other shooters.

Henry47
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
imho, buy and hoard all you want, as long as you're going to eventually shoot it. just don't buy for the sole purpose of reselling at a profit.

HK Dave
04-13-2009, 11:17 PM
So what happens years from now when we're no longer in Iraq... our military is stagnant doing little because the democrats have control of our government and ammunition prices drop due to massive surplus?

I think ammo is like the stock market and supply and demand still have a lot to do with the price.

Seriously... serialized ammo? Please.

I think we're all being taken in by gun and ammo manufacturers. ;)

xibunkrlilkidsx
04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Buy ammo but be nice and leave a bit behind for others. Those new shooters will quickly get frustrated if they never find ammo and will drop out of the sport. We need new people in this hobby or it will die. I see too many grey headed guys like me at the range and not enough teens and twenty somethings.

i was really close to saying **** it to shooting a few weeks ago. because i havent been able to buy ammo for 4 months at retails stores. And my ammo supply has gone to abrely anything. and the guns dont do me much good sitting around when i could sell them and build my ranger up and go drive around aimlessley in the desert.

Faust
04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner, liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."
"Soon we will be gone
A free will sacrifice
As free men we are born
And free we shall die"
Amon Amarth-Free will Sacrifice
"Accept responsibility for your own security. Uncle Sam is busy right now"
Certified Welder-ANSI/AWS D1.2 1F/G, 2F/G, 3 F/G up to 1/2 plate aluminium. "

With this signature I would have never have confused you with one that would consider giving up on guns over your inability to locate ammunition at the store.

tba02
04-14-2009, 12:19 PM

I've been having a heck of time finding any bulk in the SF area. I even stopped in Dixon last Sunday and nothing there either.

cdtx2001
04-14-2009, 1:46 PM
There's a couple guys that go to WM when it opens up and buy everything they have. Nothing in Vacaville, Dixon, Sacramento, Citrus Heights. Ever try Milpitas or Livermore?

Ezekiel2000
04-14-2009, 2:13 PM
Livermore doesn't sell ammo but American Canyon does! Last time I was in American Canyon they had many boxes and varities of .22 in stock, so it's out there!

MikeinnLA
04-14-2009, 2:24 PM
I am definitely behind....and I'm paying for my lack of attention. When it was looking like Hilary, I was drosing a new handgun every 30 days, picked up 4 nice ones. Somehow I then dropped the ball. Now I'm trying to build up a reasonable supply of ammo because I sincerely believe that either government interference or (more likely) ammo taxes are going to drive the price way up (like cigarettes). I'm doing the Walmart dance with little success other than 1,200 rds of .223 for my new Mini 14. I was so disgusted the other day that when I saw UMC 9mm for $ 16.00 /50 box at a Big 5, I bought 1,000 rds. I know I'm over-paying, but they don't ship bulk to L.A. city and I have few options. If I ever do find handgun ammo at Wally's, I won't feel guilty about buying a bunch. I've made about 15 trips and come away empty-handed, so on a per visit basis, I'm due. Note that every thing I'm buying is to shoot, not to re-sell.

Mike

Seed
04-14-2009, 2:24 PM

Like where in Norcal? Please PM me.

Arteel
04-14-2009, 2:25 PM
Where are you looking in sac? I see 22lr everywhere I go.

Seed
04-14-2009, 2:26 PM
Livermore doesn't sell ammo but American Canyon does! Last time I was in American Canyon they had many boxes and varities of .22 in stock, so it's out there!

They haven't had any bulk .22 in a week that I've seen.

Seed
04-14-2009, 2:27 PM
Where are you looking in sac? I see 22lr everywhere I go.

I'm down in the Bay Area and have seen 0 500 or 550 bricks.

Arteel
04-14-2009, 2:36 PM
Seed, I sent you a pm with a handful of places to go.

Born2Lose
04-14-2009, 3:09 PM
The problem is i have a new spikes conversion and i don't want to buy tons of ammo that won't work with it. So i want to buy a few boxes..test it out then buy what works. Everyone says the federal bulk boxes are great but they're rarer than hen's teeth down here in SD.

socomIInato
04-14-2009, 9:17 PM
if you guys are just stocking up now your way behind the curve! i`ve been hoarding for years! and i only bought when ammo was on sale. i don`t like to pay more then i have too.

Gator Monroe
04-14-2009, 9:21 PM
If you have Primers (You can trade them for anything right now) :thumbsup:

Seed
04-14-2009, 9:30 PM
if you guys are just stocking up now your way behind the curve! i`ve been hoarding for years! and i only bought when ammo was on sale. i don`t like to pay more then i have too.

Uhhh. So what you want a "congratulations"?

socomIInato
04-15-2009, 9:19 AM
hey seed, i`m just saying you got too think long term if you wan`t too keep shooting on a regular basis. buying ammo the day before won`t cut it. more likely you`ll end up paying too much or finding no ammo:(same thing with rifle & pistol purchases, i have several rifles & pistol in different cal. that I shoot depending on ammo prices and availability. these days my 8mm & 7.62 r see more action & my 9mm pistols are the cheapest to shoot because of low cost of this type of ammo:) if I want too shoot even cheaper, I just drag out my 22lr rifles and pistols:cool:

cdtx2001
04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Wally world in Fairfield has 8 bxs/325rnd federal 22lr as of 9:30am today 4/15. It was about the only 22 I could find in the area.

Pvtryan
04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
As soon as the WAR ends, ammo prices might go down...:rolleyes:

Born2Lose
04-15-2009, 3:40 PM
As soon as the WAR ends, ammo prices might go down...:rolleyes:
yes as soon as our savior obama delivers us from the hand of evil. Obama be praised! ;):rolleyes:

berettabattler
04-15-2009, 4:15 PM
the wally world in my town had about 12 boxes of federal 550 .22lr last week.

Who knows, it might be gone already.

At one point, my friend brought 15 bricks of .22 in one single day.

glock_this
04-15-2009, 4:23 PM
ahhh.. a thread after my own heart, a thread that supports capatlism, a thread that advocated buying as much ammo as you can :thumbsup: some of those other threads on anti hoarding and advocating controlling how much you can buy are bumming me out and a total shocker.

I try to buy - as much as I can at the time - whenever possible. I even try to buy stock off buddies and post ads on CL here and there to see if I can take it off peoples hands. I have had a few good volume buys here and there from it.

Parabellus
04-15-2009, 5:10 PM
'Wall of Ammo'
Nope. Not mine. Not even in Kalifornia.:chris:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/Parabellus/Wall-of-Ammo.jpg

chris
04-15-2009, 5:13 PM
'Wall of Ammo'
Nope. Not mine. Not even in Kalifornia.:chris:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/Parabellus/Wall-of-Ammo.jpg

now that is alot of ammo.

if one has to bail out in a hurry how much of any stash can you take with you? i'm betting not much given the amount of time to load it up in vehicle to get the hell out.

socomIInato
04-15-2009, 5:49 PM
love that wall of ammo! my goal is too exceed that!

Parabellus
04-15-2009, 6:10 PM
if one has to bail out in a hurry how much of any stash can you take with you? i'm betting not much given the amount of time to load it up in vehicle to get the hell out.
You are most likely right on that. If the time comes to grab and go my guess is he'll take a couple ARs and handguns in whatever is his favorite caliber and as much of those two calibers as he has. I hope he remembers to take some canned food and water, blankets, flashlights, a radio & batteries.:eek:

cdtx2001
04-15-2009, 9:01 PM
You are most likely right on that. If the time comes to grab and go my guess is he'll take a couple ARs and handguns in whatever is his favorite caliber and as much of those two calibers as he has. I hope he remembers to take some canned food and water, blankets, flashlights, a radio & batteries.:eek:

Don't forget toilet paper!!! Can't wipe your arse on a bullet, or a bullet box. Kinda scratchy.

Gator Monroe
04-15-2009, 9:31 PM

I have a little less than 1/3 of that wall !:thumbsup:

nemisis1400
04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I kinda wanna make cinder block and wood shelf now. The inner cheapass in me calls for it. Though this makes me wonder how much ammo you guys already have in your cars. I still have a couple bricks of .22 in the back because thats what i can afford to shoot. That and those small boxes of loose ammo has a tendency to spill all over the damn place.

high_revs
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Those new shooters will quickly get frustrated if they never find ammo and will drop out of the sport. We need new people in this hobby or it will die.
i point my new shooters to websites. tell them be patient, or have patience to keep going to wally world or gun shows. so no, they don't get frustrated because i give them alternatives.

Arteel
04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Where is this wally world that I keep hearing everyone speak of?

8-Ball
04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Your reading comprehension is somewhat lacking perhaps? You might benefit from reading my post again.

I whore. I admit it. But guess what- I did this over a year ago, at a point in time when ammo was plentiful and restocked the next day or week. I AM NOT the guy buying all of it now on a weekly basis. Sorry, but you'll have to point your displeasure at someone else. As I originally stated that while I'm a 'hoarder", I have yet to buy commercial (blazer, wwb, remington..etc etc) ammo in over 12 months.

Also don't mistake my attitude for elitism. Hard work doesnt entitle one to more freedom, it simply allows you to enjoy more of the freedoms society has to offer. If someone works harder/smarter/more than the next guy, then why shouldn't they be able to enjoy the benefits that come from a direct result of making more money? I'll give you an example as to avoid confusion.

[ex. 1] I want a BMW 5 series. They're about 80,000 US dollars. I work at McDonalds. For whatever reason, that's where I ended up. Nothing wrong with it, as it's an honest living, but the pay is minimum wage for California. I went to the BMW dealership and the nice salesman said he would sell me one. We did the math, and I would have to save for 3 months to meet the first month of payment. Minimum wage really needs to go up for me to be able to afford to buy one.

[ex. 2] I want a BMW 5 series. They're about 80,000 US dollars. At a younger age, I saw the value of a higher education. So, I busted my butt, attended university and finished med school. I am now a cardiac surgeon. The dealership said they would sell me one. I say, "no" and write them a check for 2- one black one white.

The only difference between the two is that one has a job that earns more income. They can both buy the BMW, but only one can really afford it. It's your responsibilty to be able to afford it- there's no entitlement or unfairness. No one's stopping you from buying it. If you want something, then by all means go and find a job that pays you well enough to afford it. Until then, you (like anyone else) should be free to buy whatever you want. We're not discussing things like 'gasoline, water, milk, bread". Remember, it's only ammo.

My main issue was with the OP's poorly veiled excuse for buying up ammo. I simply wanted to point out how 'refreshing' it was to see people use the guise of philanthropy to hide their selfishness.

Liberty... it means having and making the choice without the need to explain yourself... period...

MontClaire
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Cuba is actually booming in business, too bad for us american folks....it's been snatched by europeans, chinese and russians. Because we didn't want to business with cubans, oh well, someone else does and we're left out.

mif_slim
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM

I like reading Voo's replies, their very educational. seriously. :)

anyways, to the quoted part. But wouldnt the price of the same 5 series BMW be lower in price by the time the kid finishes the 5 year college? ;)

Seed
04-16-2009, 2:35 PM
Cuba is actually booming in business, too bad for us american folks....it's been snatched by europeans, chinese and russians. Because we didn't want to business with cubans, oh well, someone else does and we're left out.

This won't last long. Obama is bringing down the walls. The infrastructure there is so bad that there's plenty of room for Americans to get involved with modernizing Cuba should they allow it.

high_revs
04-18-2009, 5:40 PM

LOL.. you're not serious, are you? :p

Born2Lose
04-18-2009, 5:59 PM

Its next to that French store Target i think its pronounced "Tar-jey"

Parabellus
04-18-2009, 6:07 PM
LOL.. you're not serious, are you? :p
It is hard to imagin that someone with nearly 500 posts on a gun forum would not have figured out that Wally World is WalMart but if you only signed on this past February it could be understandable.:cool:
BTW Alameda County WW stopped selling ammo some time ago.:mad:

Arteel
04-18-2009, 6:15 PM
I'm still fairly new to this forum and I always thought "wally world" was an actual store. It was an honest questions so phuck off, thanks for the help anyways.

high_revs
04-18-2009, 9:39 PM
i'm with you arteel... i kinda knew what wally world was (or thought that's what people meant), but never really saw it was actually walmart. so i 'googled' it. says walmart. and i only found this out technically this year. LOL

but yeah, i've been here a couple of years and never really paid attention to "wally world" term as i didn't really buy ammo there myself before this year.

planensimple
04-20-2009, 4:30 PM
Interesting topic you have here. Buy all the ammo you want - too bad it will only cost you more next time because everybody knows you will always pay more. Unfortunately, you will price yourselves right out of the market. Was at a gun show last month and one of the ammo guys told me he sold $10,000 of ammo in the first 45 minutes of the show. He said he is thinking of raising the prices 20%. Guess what, he did raise prices, and sold the same amount in April as he did in March. Can't want to see what happens at the next show.

Faust
04-20-2009, 7:41 PM
Don't bother, stay home and make a slingshot, you oviously have the market dinamics figured out.

barrym66
04-22-2009, 5:01 PM
Interesting topic you have here. Buy all the ammo you want - too bad it will only cost you more next time because everybody knows you will always pay more. Unfortunately, you will price yourselves right out of the market. Was at a gun show last month and one of the ammo guys told me he sold $10,000 of ammo in the first 45 minutes of the show. He said he is thinking of raising the prices 20%. Guess what, he did raise prices, and sold the same amount in April as he did in March. Can't want to see what happens at the next show.

Don't buy if you don't want more - we are still in a free market economy (at least for now!). Prices might drop a little if the market slows (economy worsens, market saturation, etc)...all of which is unlikely at the moment.

But I'll bet you a 500 rd. brick of WW special that ammo prices will continue to go up over time - metal supply costs are going up, taxes are going up, future potential regulation on the horizon, etc... Ammo is an expendable commodity, it's not an investment to hang on to.

Me, I'm now using up at least 500 .22LR rounds a month in range practice (to reduce expenses over my usual 40S&W and 30-06), so I'm happy to keep a few months stock on hand. 2K rounds in hand and 5K inbound now (found a killer deal on case of Wolf Match Target :thumbsup: ).

Barry