PDA

View Full Version : How thoroughly does sheriff really check your residency for CCW?

cutcotim
04-08-2009, 9:03 PM
Hey guys,

Was reading another thread about applying in a neighboring CCW-friendly county and everyone pretty much said don't do it, you'd need to change everything etc.

I have thought about applying in El Dorado county with a family members address. I used to have a CCW in Butte county and then in Placer county when I moved from Chico to Roseville.

Butte county was shall-issue, easy. Placer county I had to do a quick interview with the sheriff (or a deputy, i forget) but that too was simple and easy.

I had to show my driver's license, which I had actually not even changed to the new address in Placer county at the time ( he told me to just get that taken care of as soon as I could) and was supposed to have a utility bill, which I also did not have because I think they were in my gf's name not mine, so I had a cell phone bill I believe. Anyway, that was it. Got my new license in the new county no problem. Had it until it expired after I moved to Sac

So I have been w/o one for a while now (sac county) and it kinda bugs me. Lost my driver's license recently so need to go get a replacement anyway, was thinking of switching the address and trying in El Dorado county.

Anyone have any experience or advice on how thoroughly the sheriff's dept. actually checks into your residence or what they actually check/confirm behind the scenes (if anything at all!)? I would love some ideas on this.

As I understand it, if you're ever caught (like what....you actually had to use your weapon?) then the worse it gets is losing your CCW?

Thanks!

gotgunz
04-08-2009, 9:07 PM
CCW holders are supposed to be law abiding citizens; by trying to use another address which is not in fact your actual residence you are lying which could be construed as perjury. If you get caught (and you will be) in the application process you can be charged with a crime and will probably lose the ability to ever get a ccw in the future (as you should for lying in the first place).

Doheny
04-08-2009, 9:15 PM
/\/\ Ditto to what he said.

However, when I got my in OC, I don't think they left the office to verify anything. Other counties, such as San Berdo, do actually take a trip to your neighborhood, talk to your references, etc.

cutcotim
04-08-2009, 9:17 PM
There we go, that's actually something helpful.

Does anyone know anything about how well El Dorado county checks (or doesn't check)?

Doheny
04-08-2009, 9:30 PM
Try CalCCW.com. Someone there should be able to answer.

RomanDad
04-08-2009, 9:47 PM
Try CalCCW.com. Someone there should be able to answer.

Im from CalCCW.com

Yeah.... They check.... Yeah... They will catch you.

Not unheard of for an LEO to knock on the door... If you're not there, and its obvious another family lives there, you've got a problem (and that particular problem isnt just a "whoops" its a crime in and of itself to lie on a 12050 app.) (CPC 12051 (b))

cutcotim
04-08-2009, 9:50 PM
Ok thank you. Just curious at this point, what/how do they check?

-Tim

Geodetic
04-08-2009, 9:52 PM
Wouldnt try it. Your are making a false claim and will at the very minimum lose your ability to get a CCW ever again... probably worse. Move to a friendly county or get out of CA. This same scenario influenced my decision to move to a CCW friendly county adjacent to my county of occupation. Turns out the city I chose to live in is nicer anyway.

AndrewMendez
04-08-2009, 9:54 PM
I work for a Hospital, and we have Northern Cal and SOCal doc's working. Some of them spend 5 days a week in SoCal, then go back home for 2...Just because its your Primary Adress, doesn't mean, you have to be there all the time!

CHS
04-08-2009, 10:55 PM
As I understand it, if you're ever caught (like what....you actually had to use your weapon?) then the worse it gets is losing your CCW?

The BEST thing that can happen is you lose your CCW and it enters a black mark on your DoJ profile. You'll probably never be able to get a CCW in California again after that.

That is the BEST that can happen.

So stop asking questions about how to trick the Sheriff into issuing a CCW against the law.

ZirconJohn
04-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Yup! Very wrong, very against the law and very NOT RIGHT!

I have a very good friend I have known since childhood; family really. He suggested the same, use my address for his CCW in his County... 'WRONG, NO GO JOE.'

Friends are supposed to keep friends out of trouble. I did that, we are still friends. CCW is NOT as important as friends and family.

gcvt
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Not to mention that the LAST thing our community needs is stories in the media about "Gun Nuts" trying to "Illegally Obtain CCWs".

This is bad on every level. If you want one again, move.

cutcotim
04-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Cool thanks for the help guys.

For some reason I thought I had read ( a long while ago....) that applying in another county, if found out, would result in revoking the CCW. But didn't remember there being more serious ramifications or that it was actually illegal. But I guess that makes sense.

I still think the way the sheriffs run CCW here is more "wrong" then it is "wrong" trying to get around the system by applying in another county. But oh well. Guess I am stuck for now. The lifestyle change in moving to one of the neighboring counties isn't worth it JUST for CCW....

Anyone think there is any point in trying in Sac county with 2 previous CCW's and a decent cause statement?

-Tim

gotgunz
04-09-2009, 12:19 AM
It never hurts to try but it can hurt alot if not done honestly. I say apply; you probably won't get it but at least you tried.

And I don't know if moving to a neighboring county would be considered a "lifestyle change".

Quiet
04-09-2009, 12:30 AM
IMO...
Contact your state represenative to support AB357.

gcvt
04-09-2009, 12:51 AM
IMO...
Contact your state represenative to support AB357.

:clap:

nicki
04-09-2009, 1:27 AM
Let's be honest here, the sheriffs and other LEO's respect each others territory and as a result, sheriffs in shalll issue counties are inclined to actually check.

It is pretty obvious that the CCW system is being abused by some sheriffs as a system to raise funds for political purposes.

When former chief Gene Byrd of Isleton started issuing CCW permits to any resident of Sacramento county, Sheriff Lou Blanas got a buddy in the state senator to sponsor a bill to restrict where you could get a CCW permit and it was the only gun control bill that former Gov Pete Wilson signed in 1998.

The CCW system is going to change, either by legislation AB357 or by court actions that will be a combo of 2nd and 14th amendment issues.

If you use a fake address, you are technically committing a crime:rolleyes:

The big issue I see with a CCW is if you ever have to use it, you don't want stuff coming out that you fraudulently got the permit in the first place.

That could possibly be even worse than carrying without in license in some people's eyes and could nail you in both a criminal and civil trial.

Nicki

CnCFunFactory
04-09-2009, 3:22 AM
Yup! Very wrong, very against the law and very NOT RIGHT!

I have a very good friend I have known since childhood; family really. He suggested the same, use my address for his CCW in his County... 'WRONG, NO GO JOE.'

Friends are supposed to keep friends out of trouble. I did that, we are still friends. CCW is NOT as important as friends and family.

Amen to that :thumbsup:

U2BassAce
04-09-2009, 4:29 AM
Im from CalCCW.com

Yeah.... They check.... Yeah... They will catch you.

Not unheard of for an LEO to knock on the door... If you're not there, and its obvious another family lives there, you've got a problem (and that particular problem isnt just a "whoops" its a crime in and of itself to lie on a 12050 app.) (CPC 12051 (b))

From the OCSD website......

Making any intentionally false statements on the application is a crime (Penal Code 12051) and can be prosecuted either as a misdemeanor or a felony.

Not to mention most if not all counties require you to show at least 2 utility bills that are in your name to prove residency. As RD said, some counties are known for always sending out deputies on residency checks before issuing of a CCW, others do it on case by case basis. Some counties (I think El Dorado being one of them) have been known to personally drive out the CCW to your residence.

So bottom line....don't do it. :thumbsup:

tenpercentfirearms
04-09-2009, 4:58 AM
I forwarded this to the El Dorado SD. I will let you know when they give me an answer about how well they check.

DDT
04-09-2009, 7:34 AM
Hi cutcoiggy, I hope that answered your questions about which calgunners will recommend and give instructions for committing a gun-related crime in California. Good luck with your fishing trip.

RomanDad
04-09-2009, 7:53 AM
I work for a Hospital, and we have Northern Cal and SOCal doc's working. Some of them spend 5 days a week in SoCal, then go back home for 2...Just because its your Primary Adress, doesn't mean, you have to be there all the time!

Absolutely.... If you have TWO LEGITIMATE domiciles (meaning you LEGALLY POSSES THEM BOTH, You dont rent one out... Its not a "Timeshare"... You are legally responsible for the lease/mortgage and bills... You arent just a visitor in someone else's place..) You can make EITHER ONE your "primary place of residence". You get your mail there, your bills go there, you're registered to vote there, you use it as the address to file taxes... Your DL is there, etc etc etc.... There is NOTHING illegal or unlawful about picking the one that has the better CCW rules as your primary residence.

Some jurisdictions for CCW purposes will also try to say that your legal residence is the place you spend the majority of your time, but determining that and enforcing it is nearly impossible, unless one is just clearly a "vacation" home because youre only at a few times a year and it sits vacant the rest of the time.

But if it ISNT the case that the applicant actually has two properties, and like the OP suggested, hes "borrowing" a relatives address and representing it as his own when he does not have any lawful possession of the property, that's a misdemeanor under 12051.

cutcotim
04-09-2009, 2:11 PM
I forwarded this to the El Dorado SD. I will let you know when they give me an answer about how well they check.

ha! thanks!

CCWFacts
04-09-2009, 3:22 PM
Certainly there are people who set up a residence in some county for the purpose of applying. Some of them are caught, some get away with it. But the shall-issue counties are well aware of this and it's pretty obvious when someone is doing that. They can ask you, "where do you work?" and if you say, "I work in Sacramento but I happen to live in Butte County", that's hard to believe.

In other words, it's very likely to be caught, and the consequences go beyond merely having a CCW denied. It would mean probably never being able to get one again, and, if they decide to, they could press criminal charges for lying on the application.

Many people have had this idea, but it's not the right way to go.

woodey
04-09-2009, 4:39 PM
How thoroughly does sheriff really check your residency for CCW? Residency is a "state of mind". The Pesident can move to DC for 8 to10 year & still have Texas residency. You can move to a new state or local & be a res right away or you can go & visit a place for years & still claim your old residence. This is almost imposible to prove fraud unless you outright confess to lieing.

Casual Observer
04-09-2009, 5:37 PM
Let me give you an idea.

I've lived in OC for six years and I didn't meet the residency requirements since I sublease.

And yes, they sent an investigator to my place. I still didnt pass their standards.

RomanDad
04-09-2009, 5:50 PM
Let me give you an idea.

I've lived in OC for six years and I didn't meet the residency requirements since I sublease.

And yes, they sent an investigator to my place. I still didnt pass their standards.

:mad: