PDA

View Full Version : Can a private Citizen own Level IV ceramic plates?

supermario
04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Hello to any LEO, I was wondering can a private Citizen own Level IV ceramic plates? I am assuming you can, considering that they sell them at gun shows. Reason i ask is because i am trading various Ar items and I was offered a plate carrier vest with Level 4 ceramic plates. I am very interested in this but I do not want to own something that I legally cannot own. Any help would be appreciated guys.. Thankyou very Much..

By the way, the reason i would like to own them is because i think that is actually a great survival tool to have, IF anything bad should happen in Los Angeles due to an Earthquake, Riot etc.. Also I am a Private Investigator and it would be nice to have one in some of the bad areas I have worked, considering I do not carry a weapon.

1lostinspace
04-08-2009, 10:10 PM
There are guys all over ebay selling some I am not sure how legal that is, I am guessing not.

supermario
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
There are guys all over ebay selling some I am not sure how legal that is, I am guessing not.

Do you recall how much they were selling for?

bluestaterebel
04-08-2009, 10:37 PM
don't see why they would be illegal. unless your'e a felon

haodoken
04-08-2009, 11:16 PM
If they were US Military Issued Plates selling would be illegal (i.e. a joe who selling the plates he was issued or they were "combat loss"). Not many (if at all) of those get sold for surplus. Remember all those ebay auctions of current US Military Interceptor Body Armor being sold as the Iraq war got started. Would you really want a "used" set of ballistic plates? If civilian manufactured plates, they should be legal for purchase.

supermario
04-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info!

1lostinspace
04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Do you recall how much they were selling for?

complete vest with both plates a little over $600

tyrist
04-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Unless you are a convicted felon yes.

dude
04-09-2009, 1:00 AM
Where can one legally purchase a vest and plates similar to that of the US Interceptor armor?

AndrewMendez
04-09-2009, 1:22 AM
Where can one legally purchase a vest and plates similar to that of the US Interceptor armor?

Botach Tactical maybe?

bubbapug1
04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I can see the ebay/craiglist ad now...one slightly used (only one roadside bomb attack) set of body armour...slightly sweat stained and some burn marks...like new...kind of!

studiojon
04-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Check out grey group training, ATS tactical, Practical tactical, bulletproofme.com, also go over to lightfighter.com thats a great sight for all you tac gear info needs... and yes you can own any body armor as long as your not a felon some vendors wont sell to civi's but we should be used to that kinda of attitude/policy here in Cali.

get some before its "banned" thanks to the latest media out cry :(

Pvtryan
04-09-2009, 3:55 PM
Don't buy used plates! You don't know if they already dropped it or not. Once you drop the plate, you shouldn't be using it. Would you trust a used plate to save your life??? Life is PRICELESS...

supermario
04-09-2009, 6:19 PM
Don't buy used plates! You don't know if they already dropped it or not. Once you drop the plate, you shouldn't be using it. Would you trust a used plate to save your life??? Life is PRICELESS...

Thankyou very much for that info, i had no idea that if you dropped it was ruined even if its not cracked!

gvazquez
04-09-2009, 6:39 PM
Thankyou very much for that info, i had no idea that if you dropped it was ruined even if its not cracked!

I think thats with the old sapis not the new E sapis, but still like kevlar helmets, dropping these items or any kind of hard impact will not render them useless but COULD weaken its structure. EVEN if you cant see the damage

GTXR390
04-10-2009, 12:03 PM
lookie here what i found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-Skin-Body-Armor-by-Pinnacle-Body-Armor-SOV-MIL3A_W0QQitemZ150337890059QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item150337890059&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

dwa
04-13-2009, 12:56 AM

if the idea of dropping them bothers you...you should see what really happens to them.

bluestaterebel
04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
if the idea of dropping them bothers you...you should see what really happens to them.

what?

arrowestimating.com
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
WE CAN OWN BODY ARMOR??????? :tt1::hurray::jump::party::punk:

bondmid003
04-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I've got my issued interceptor vest sitting in my closet :44: On another note the folks are right about the sapis. They are not useless if dropped but there could be damage not visible

whobob
04-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Do you have to be a citizen to own one?

bondmid003
04-14-2009, 9:40 PM
For the person asking about where to purchase body armor, Blackhawk sells a plethora of items and options

Mr. Joshua
04-15-2009, 3:37 AM
In regards to dropping plates.....

Steel plates can take a beating, it's steel. Ceramic plates are where you kind of have to be careful. If they take a serious drop it's best to have them checked out.

Just my .02

ReconDoc242
04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Why the hell does a civilian need plates for? Sorry guys I dont get it. I understand owning concealable soft body armor....but plates. That is extreme.

supermario
04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Why the hell does a civilian need plates for? Sorry guys I dont get it. I understand owning concealable soft body armor....but plates. That is extreme.

Owning a 50cal barrett is extreme too but some people just wanna buy things because they can. Its like owning a Ferrari, your really not going to ever drive 200mph but its nice just to have it. Besides whats the difference between owning soft body armor and plates? The losers where i live have shot at police with Ak's. I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting to own equipment like that.. You may never use it and hopefully dont ever have to, but if there happen to chaos througout los angeles due to a large earthquake or other catastrophic event, I wouldnt mind having the best equipment out there, so that i could stay alive longer to protect my family.
Now on a side note, I only asked if you could own it, becus it was offered to me on a trade in the for sale forum,, thats all. And i didnt want to trade for something that could be illegal.. Thats all, nothing more! By the way, if i had the $$ I would build a fully armored SUV, so that i can drive around LA and not have to worry about anybody harming my family.. I went to pick up pizza from dominoes one day last year in highland park and some guy was at dominoes and started shooting at a car passing by that was loaded with loser gang members.. Bullets were flying everyplace,, so you just
never know. I mean no offense to you either,, just giving my opinion from past experience and living in a bad neighborhood.

Nessal
04-23-2009, 1:28 AM

The liberal left says the same things about your guns.

Soldier415
04-23-2009, 4:48 AM
Why would you want to buy the interceptor IBA? Uncomfortable (to the point where your back and shoulders are in excruciating pain when worn for more than an hour), bulky to the point its very hard to manuever, and hard to get a RACK on over.

I'd be wearing a lightwieght plate carrier if I could. The IOTV is more comfortable...but still.

scr83jp
04-23-2009, 1:43 PM
In a peace officer certification class a san diego detective told us about their kevlar vests they had been wearing for 18 months or longer.He & some other officers decided to test them by laying them over the target backstop at their range;they fired 45acp ammo,38special & 9mm all of which penetrated their vests then they tried 22 long rifle ammo and it penetrated.They went to their chief and reported their findings,got chewed out initially but after their test results he checked learning vests have a shelf life and ordered all new vests for the dept.I met an engineer who was involved in the original kevlar vest testing,he told me if it gets wet anything will penetrate kevlar .That's why the layers were in heavy tear resistant waterproof bags in my safariland vest but our dept wouldn't purchase the trauma plates .Never buy a used vest it could be unsafe from use or a knockoff.

what2be
04-23-2009, 4:45 PM
In a peace officer certification class a san diego detective told us about their kevlar vests they had been wearing for 18 months or longer.He & some other officers decided to test them by laying them over the target backstop at their range;they fired 45acp ammo,38special & 9mm all of which penetrated their vests then they tried 22 long rifle ammo and it penetrated.They went to their chief and reported their findings,got chewed out initially but after their test results he checked learning vests have a shelf life and ordered all new vests for the dept.I met an engineer who was involved in the original kevlar vest testing,he told me if it gets wet anything will penetrate kevlar .That's why the layers were in heavy tear resistant waterproof bags in my safariland vest but our dept wouldn't purchase the trauma plates .Never buy a used vest it could be unsafe from use or a knockoff.

Um...I always heard that a .22 will go through almost any vest, new or not. Small bullet with a fast speed. Vests were mainly designed to stop handgun loads, .38, 357. 9mm., .40, .45, etc.

Larker
05-02-2009, 3:57 AM
You're probably better off trying to get your hands on Pinnacle's Dragon Skin if you're looking for rifle round defeating concealed armor...

Plates are good for UP TO 3 rounds... They're not meant for a sustained fight. The body armor our military currently uses is more for IED defeating purposes than small arms combat. And both the SAPI's and ESAPI's can crack if dropped more than 2 feet (or so I've been warned).

Furthermore, both the IBA and the IOTV are bulky, heavy, and not really all the comfortable, especially when you're wearing the yoke/collar assemblies, DAPS, side SAPI's, and groin protector. Concealment isn't really the idea with those plate carriers.

bondmid003
05-04-2009, 11:37 PM
The newest issued SAPI's are designed to stop a 7.62 round

Texas Boy
05-11-2009, 1:27 AM
Why would an ordinary person want plates? Why for protection from the bozo at the public range!!! Not that I stick around when I see bozos at the range, but I have heard of people wearing armor to the range and have considered it myself. A set of plates would be idea - I don't need a concealable vest and even IIIA isn't going to protect me from a rifle round. Front and rear level III plates in a simple carrier would be great insurance at the range. Level IV is overkill IMHO.