PDA

View Full Version : California 12 day waiting period... :(

Alphahookups
04-08-2009, 6:25 PM
So I bought a firearm on the 28th of last month at 4:30pm and I went to pick it up today, and after filling out the transfer paperwork, he points out that I'm a day early. It says their DROS start date was the 30th, so I lost two days :(

Its not a big deal because it would be going in the safe anyways, until I got a chance to shoot it, but still....I'm a little upset...

I know this isn't about laws, so to make it conform with the rules of this thread so I'll ask, why isn't the start of 10 days at the time of purchase...not the DROS time?

Thanks guys

hawk1
04-08-2009, 6:29 PM
Ten 24 hour period that starts at the time on the top of your DROS. It is not 11 or 12 or 9. TEN!

Read the time and date at the top of your DROS.

Alphahookups
04-08-2009, 6:31 PM
No one is debating the number, I'm debating when the 10 should start.

mvpatriot
04-08-2009, 6:32 PM
I wouldnt be going back to that store...

Alphahookups
04-08-2009, 6:35 PM
They were actually really nice, and the price wasn't bad...he just said that they had mounds of paperwork after the gunshow so it took them a while to DROS everything. Reasonable I guess, I just wish I would have known so I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up

bohoki
04-08-2009, 7:02 PM
you have to give the cadoj 10 days to reject a person

Alphahookups
04-08-2009, 7:03 PM
Bastards!

The SoCal Gunner
04-08-2009, 8:12 PM
How did they screw that up?

Rascal
04-08-2009, 8:29 PM
They were actually really nice, and the price wasn't bad...he just said that they had mounds of paperwork after the gunshow so it took them a while to DROS everything. Reasonable I guess, I just wish I would have known so I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up

Did you buy your firearm at a gunshow?
Didn't they do the DROS while you were there?
Sounds like you bought the firearm, but they didn't do the DROS the day your bought it.
You probably did the paperwork on the 28th but they didn't actually put it in the computer until the 30th.

DDT
04-08-2009, 8:37 PM

The 10 days begins when the data is transmitted. MANY bigger stores require 11 days. It is actually defined as 10 24 hour periods. This means if you buy at 4:30 PM you legally need to wait until 4:30 PM on the 10th day.

I understand that a couple of the big box stores have been dinged for releasing a gun a few hours early. Stupid, yes but I can't really blame the companies doing this to protect themselves.

I realize this isn't your case and I think you understand what happened but since you asked to expand this to the more general question I hope I have answered it for you.

hawk1
04-08-2009, 8:49 PM

As I said, it starts at the time posted at the top of your DROS printout.
It sounds as if the FFL didn't process your DROS at the time you bought it. Either way, it starts at the time posted when he processed the DROS.

Trader Jack
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Bastards!

Got to love your vocabulary. Shows a lot of Intelligence:chris:

Ground Loop
04-08-2009, 11:33 PM
The better stores (like Iron Sights) will usually enter the DROS while you're standing there doing the worksheet, and give you a pickup time (to the minute) when you're done.

Sitting on your paperwork for two days -- there must have been special circumstances?

CHS
04-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Sitting on your paperwork for two days -- there must have been special circumstances?

He said it was a packed gunshow.

I'm not surprised at all. They probably spent 3 days just submitting all those DROS'es.

jasilva
04-09-2009, 12:09 AM

Nothing like adding something useful to a thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20537&stc=1&d=1239260906

Dark&Good
04-09-2009, 1:14 AM
10 x 24 hours is the legal requirement. Now, while "putting up" with 11 days (that's reasonable enough with the packed shops), 12 x 24 hours is something I'd bite for.

Justintoxicated
04-09-2009, 1:31 AM
I wish it started when you purchased it. I paid for my HK (IN FULL) a month ago and it's not even in stock yet! In a week or 2 or 3 more....when it does come in I will still have to wait for the 10 days, because they can't start the DROS until they get a serial Number. Further, for whatever reason rifles can be DROSed when order confirmations are given, because manufacturers will send the gun's serial number and the process can begin. For whatever reason Sellers (Turner's in this case) can't get the serial number for a pistol in advance, thus why my wait is so ridiculous! At least this is what the guy at turners told me earlier today when I asked about starting the DROS now, since they had confirmation of my HK I have been so patiently waiting for.

CaliforniaLiberal
04-09-2009, 1:41 AM
It's his license, he has to deal with the BATF/DOJ audits, he sets the rules. I would not begrudge him a little extra time to make absolutely certain that he's in compliance with the waiting period.

Don't blame the dealer, blame the Jack Booted Thugs that will confiscate his guns, shut down his business or put him in jail if he doesn't have perfect paperwork.

CL

Dark&Good
04-09-2009, 1:46 AM
It's his license, he has to deal with the BATF/DOJ audits, he sets the rules. I would not begrudge him a little extra time to make absolutely certain that he's in compliance with the waiting period.

Don't blame the dealer, blame the Jack Booted Thugs that will confiscate his guns, shut down his business or put him in jail if he doesn't have perfect paperwork.

CL

All right... But why do I get this feeling again, this "be happy that you still have your d**k?"

elrcastor
04-09-2009, 7:19 AM
I wish it started when you purchased it. I paid for my HK (IN FULL) a month ago and it's not even in stock yet! In a week or 2 or 3 more....when it does come in I will still have to wait for the 10 days, because they can't start the DROS until they get a serial Number. Further, for whatever reason rifles can be DROSed when order confirmations are given, because manufacturers will send the gun's serial number and the process can begin. For whatever reason Sellers (Turner's in this case) can't get the serial number for a pistol in advance, thus why my wait is so ridiculous! At least this is what the guy at turners told me earlier today when I asked about starting the DROS now, since they had confirmation of my HK I have been so patiently waiting for.

When you DROS a handgun you need to enter the serialnumber, and if it were my FFL on the line i would want the handgun in my hands before i submitted it.

But with longguns you do not have to enter the serialnumber on the DROS.

Trapper
04-09-2009, 7:45 AM
I had the same experience at the last Del Mar show. I met a Calguns member at the show for PPT and used a local FFL that I've used for years. At the show my FFL did 50+ transfers per day so by the time my PPt was entered in the computer, the total wait was 12 days.

Alphahookups
04-09-2009, 8:19 AM

It was more of a humorous reply in response to the prior posting, but since I neglected to put a smily face indicating it was a joke(since the quick reply box doesn't have them there), the humor wasn't quite conveyed the way I was hoping.

rbgaynor
04-09-2009, 8:58 AM
The better stores (like Iron Sights) will usually enter the DROS while you're standing there doing the worksheet, and give you a pickup time (to the minute) when you're done.

+1 for Iron Sights, they make it as painless as it possibly can be.

markw
04-28-2009, 11:16 PM
+1 for Iron Sights, they make it as painless as it possibly can be.

They told me 11 days. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can pick up on monday vs tuesday. Bought it at lunchtime last friday. I've heard nothing but good about them, and they were really courteous. I'll probably end up getting it on tuesday, breaking it in and then going to my jeep meet in Vista.

TheBundo
04-28-2009, 11:39 PM
They always do the DROS while I'm there

halifax
04-29-2009, 5:35 AM
It was a gunshow. Not all dealers have internet access at gunshows but taking two days to enter and submit the DROS seems a bit too long.

BONECUTTER
04-29-2009, 8:31 AM
Back in the day I worked for a place that really screwed up like that one time.

We were selling guns like mad at a show and they couldn't get the DROS system up and running so they just filled out the paper form and were "planning" on submitting that night. (This is what buyers were told)

They ended up getting really behind after a show weekend and didn't start DROS'ing by hand until three days later (most of the employees had no idea) and some didn't get DROS'ed until 7 days later :eek:

I did'nt hear about anything until 10 days later when people came to pick and I was looking at the paperwork going "WTH". Some people drove over an hour. Needless to say a lot of people were pissed and I'm sure that place lost a chunk of repeat business over that.

Guess I was trying to say it could always be worse.

paintballergb
04-29-2009, 8:38 AM

It should start right away. It was that gun shops fault it took 12 days.

FlyingDesertEagle
04-29-2009, 9:06 AM
...Further, for whatever reason rifles can be DROSed when order confirmations are given, because manufacturers will send the gun's serial number and the process can begin...At least this is what the guy at turners told me...

Might wanna check that. Long guns don't require serial nos to be DROS'd. Sounds like gun store clerks living up to their reps as FUD spreaders.

Mazilla
04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
I'll probably end up getting it on tuesday, breaking it in and then going to my jeep meet in Vista.

Off topic, but who do you jeep with? I'm an SD4wheeler. :thumbsup:

back on topic, turners made me wait an extra 10 days in January. They "forgot" to send my paperwork in until the day i came in to pick up. They gave me a free magazine and box of ammo for the inconvenience.

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Back in the day I worked for a place that really screwed up like that one time.

We were selling guns like mad at a show and they couldn't get the DROS system up and running so they just filled out the paper form and were "planning" on submitting that night. (This is what buyers were told)

They ended up getting really behind after a show weekend and didn't start DROS'ing by hand until three days later (most of the employees had no idea) and some didn't get DROS'ed until 7 days later :eek:

I did'nt hear about anything until 10 days later when people came to pick and I was looking at the paperwork going "WTH". Some people drove over an hour. Needless to say a lot of people were pissed and I'm sure that place lost a chunk of repeat business over that.

Guess I was trying to say it could always be worse.

If I'd drove over an hour to find out my stuff had been screwed up I'd have been demanding compensation for my time and gas lest I plaster bad press about the store everywhere I could find to plaster it! In a state where this stuff is as annoying and complicated as it is......you don't make mistakes on peoples' paperwork like that.....you just dont. Or if you do, say have computer problems or something, you friggin' get on the phone and tell them ahead of time and apologize profusely instead of waiting for them to come in 10days later and find out.

FortCourageArmory
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Might wanna check that. Long guns don't require serial nos to be DROS'd. Sounds like gun store clerks living up to their reps as FUD spreaders.
During my last DOJ visit, my DOJ auditor said that the gun needs to be pyshically present to do a DROS. Here's the why: The first thing an auditor does is check the guns I have on 10-day wait to make sure they are in my possession. A gun that is somewhere out in the nether-world can't be verified so they assume (right or wrong) that it has been released early and I have alot of explaining to do. If none of you have been through a DOJ audit, they can put me out of business if they find sufficient reason. Missing guns are a really good reason. So, most FFLs don't/won't DROS without the gun present. It's CYA. Sorry if it delays anyone's gun fix, but if I (or anyone like me) go out of business, who will transfer your guns?

BONECUTTER
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
If I'd drove over an hour to find out my stuff had been screwed up I'd have been demanding compensation for my time and gas lest I plaster bad press about the store everywhere I could find to plaster it! In a state where this stuff is as annoying and complicated as it is......you don't make mistakes on peoples' paperwork like that.....you just dont. Or if you do, say have computer problems or something, you friggin' get on the phone and tell them ahead of time and apologize profusely instead of waiting for them to come in 10days later and find out.

Hey, Im with you on this. I had no idea this happened until people starting showing up on the pick up day. The people who screwed the pooch were no-where to be found. Why do you think I don't work there anymore. :cool: