PDA

View Full Version : The People have Spoken (cnn gun control poll)

b.faust
04-08-2009, 5:01 PM
Poll: Fewer American support stricter gun control laws
Posted: 07:21 PM ET

From Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

(CNN) — From Oakland, California; to Binghamton, New York, several mass shootings in recent weeks have killed dozens across the country. But has there been an impact on public opinion?

Yes, and in a surprising way.

Since 2001, most Americans have favored stricter gun laws, though support has slightly dropped in recent years: 54 for percent favored stricter laws in 2001, compared to 50 percent in 2007, according to Gallup polling.

Now, a recent poll reveals a sudden drop — only 39 percent of Americans now favor stricter gun laws, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/

EVILFORCE
04-08-2009, 5:07 PM
That is nice coming from CNN.

b.faust
04-08-2009, 5:10 PM
That is nice coming from CNN.

Fixed that for you, just so people don't get the strange idea that I get off to CNN articles.
;)

savs2k
04-08-2009, 5:22 PM
who's initials are C.N.N here?

DDT
04-08-2009, 5:41 PM
I bet they were quite surprised.

Shotgun Man
04-08-2009, 5:43 PM
The poll was taken April 3-5-- smack dab in the middle of Binghamton shooting.

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

I assume the pollees were aware of it.

Only 15% want less strict gun laws.

Stan_Humphries
04-08-2009, 8:39 PM
"Poll - Fewer Support Stricter Gun Laws" (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/08/gun.control.poll/index.html)

Dupe - my mistake.

YoungGun2
04-08-2009, 9:02 PM
This is a result of educating people and giving them the right tools to learn about our rights and giving them the truth about guns just in general, with sites like www.thehighroad.org and www.calguns.net people are allowing there minds to think out side the box.

I’ve had a couple conversations with people in regards to self protection in the last couple of moths. What always gets people on the fence to come over to our side, is a simple statement that I always make a point to say “When my family’s life is on the line, I much rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it”.

Fear is the most powerful emotion in almost all living things, and Humans are no exception when people think of their own family in a scary situation it usually gets ball rolling in the right direction…..

This news makes me feel proud to be an gun owner………

squishyhead
04-08-2009, 9:03 PM
Well if CNN said it...then you know it's true.

Bizcuits
04-08-2009, 9:20 PM
It might be a dupe, but I'll never get tired of hearing it.

Captain Evilstomper
04-08-2009, 9:22 PM
now if the lawmakers actually listened to the people, then this would be something...

Midian
04-08-2009, 9:45 PM
now if the lawmakers actually listened to the people, then this would be something...

Well better not get your hopes up on that one, Sport. 99 percent of Government yahoos don't give three flying weasels about you or what you think.

That's why we have to stop cooperating with them.

ChuckBooty
04-08-2009, 9:47 PM
In a surprising way? There are a rash of maniacs shooting people and CNN is surprised that the population would like to be armed?

odysseus
04-08-2009, 9:51 PM
This is a result of educating people and giving them the right tools to learn about our rights and giving them the truth about guns just in general, with sites like www.thehighroad.org and www.calguns.net people are allowing there minds to think out side the box.

Well I think http://www.thehighroad.us should be listed there too. ;)

lioneaglegriffin
04-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Well better not get your hopes up on that one, Sport. 99 percent of Government yahoos don't give three flying weasels about you or what you think.

That's why we have to stop cooperating with them.

unless its election season, all the sudden they're all ears and opinion polls matter.

N6ATF
04-09-2009, 12:31 AM
How much of the polls going our way is because of our level of communication on forums and such (linking to the polls), rather than voters unassociated with 2A forums?

b.faust
04-09-2009, 12:49 AM
How much of the polls going our way is because of our level of communication on forums and such (linking to the polls), rather than voters unassociated with 2A forums?

I still take that as a win.
It shows we're more organized and care more than the average joe-citizen.

I made a comment sometime back about how in 1994, the internet was still relatively unused by a majority of people, thus allowing the AWB to slide right through. Now, most gun owners are on mailing lists, forums...basically wired and connected. Slipping anything by us at this point won't happen.

Also, to add to what another poster on this thread said earlier, I've had more people approach me in the last four months asking my advice on purchasing their first firearm than I can count.

CnCFunFactory
04-09-2009, 3:51 AM
In a surprising way? There are a rash of maniacs shooting people and CNN is surprised that the population would like to be armed?

LOL:rofl2:

Ford8N
04-09-2009, 6:08 AM
I still take that as a win.
It shows we're more organized and care more than the average joe-citizen.

I made a comment sometime back about how in 1994, the internet was still relatively unused by a majority of people, thus allowing the AWB to slide right through. Now, most gun owners are on mailing lists, forums...basically wired and connected. Slipping anything by us at this point won't happen.

Also, to add to what another poster on this thread said earlier, I've had more people approach me in the last four months asking my advice on purchasing their first firearm than I can count.

I agree that the internet has changed the field. There was another thread around here that mentioned that there is no open discussion anti-gun forum. It's because there really is no logical basis for the gun laws we have right now. And the other side knows that. Also I notice most people who are on these gun forums tend to be logical people too.