PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Events

Kestryll
04-08-2009, 3:15 PM
In order to keep things from becoming cluttered and having important notices get lost in the 'noise' this forum will have some limitations.
Anyone can post a reply but only the main event coordinators will be able to start a new thread.

As such this thread will serve as a place to post your suggestions for an event, gun show for the Calguns Booths, Official function or whatever you have to suggest.

aplinker
04-08-2009, 5:41 PM
BBQ at Kestryll's.

Teletiger7
04-08-2009, 6:12 PM
:party:I second that.:party:

BBQ at Kestryll's.

Darklyte27
04-08-2009, 6:51 PM
Kinders BBQ sauce..mmmmmm

vega
04-08-2009, 7:43 PM
Tag for bbq at Kestryll's:party:

radioburning
04-08-2009, 7:57 PM
Wow, Kestryll's having a BBq, and he's paying for all of it? That's pretty cool of you, Kes! I'm gonna go tell everyone about it...

:p

Eric Mayer
04-08-2009, 8:05 PM
Orange County Gun Show
June 6 & 7, 2009
Costa Mesa, CA

I cannot head-up the booth organization, but I may be able to volunteer on Saturday.

Eric :cool:

wildhawker
04-08-2009, 8:24 PM
Orange County Gun Show
June 6 & 7, 2009
Costa Mesa, CA

I cannot head-up the booth organization, but I may be able to volunteer on Saturday.

Consider it done :cool:

Now we need some more volunteers and a local event coordinator :thumbsup: Anyone?

Saigon1965
04-08-2009, 8:26 PM
Kestryll suck at BBQing -

domokun
04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
CalGuns Booth:

San Francisco, CA
May 2nd - 3rd
The Cow Palace

May 30-31, 2009
Vallejo Gun Show
Solano County Fairgrounds

June 20-21
San Jose, CA
Santa Clara County Fairgrounds

r08ert209cali
04-09-2009, 5:38 AM
What about hitting some of the bigger flea markets. just a thought... anything around Stockton and surrounding area with good lead time I would volunteer my time any day.

domokun
04-09-2009, 2:39 PM
What about hitting some of the bigger flea markets. just a thought... anything around Stockton and surrounding area with good lead time I would volunteer my time any day.

Flea Markets isn't the right crowd. It might set off mass paranoia in the press and the local PD/sheriff's office resulting in bad press/relations with locals. It would be a selling point for the liberal media to go "this is why we should ban assault weapons like these..." :rolleyes:

The fact that people know that AR and AK pattern rifles are legal is good, but we have to target the right crowd so that not just any average joe can run out and buy a legally configured AK or AK and then accidentally manufacture an AW and become the next test case in CA that could reverse all the results of the hard work that's been accomplished in CA thus far. We want to target "markets" where people do care about their 2A rights and are willing to comply with local and state laws in regards to off-list rifles.

r08ert209cali
04-10-2009, 9:59 AM
understood.makes sense felt akward to begin with just threw it out there for review.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe the sports fair in Corona?
http://www.raahauges.com/sportsfair.htm

Anybody been to one of these?

Vick

randy
04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
While we are eating bbq at kes's how about a swap meet. Get an ffl to do transfers and clean out your garage full of stuff you don't want anymore.

domokun
04-12-2009, 9:10 AM
Maybe the sports fair in Corona?

Anybody been to one of these?

Vick

I think that's a very appropriate venue for our message. We should try to do it if we have the time and resources to do so. :thumbsup:

Exposed
04-12-2009, 3:38 PM
I suggest a paintball calguns meet. I have always loved paintballing to practice actual battle like circumstances for a real SHTF situation.

CamW
04-12-2009, 8:11 PM
How about the Ontario gunshow on May 16 & 17?

wildhawker
04-13-2009, 6:45 AM
Ontario is on the horizon, but we need to establish some local volunteers in the area. The Costa Mesa show is the large target, and we are still looking for volunteers for it.

Exposed
04-13-2009, 3:14 PM
Put me in for Ontario if you need help.

wildhawker
04-13-2009, 7:04 PM
If you guys think we can gather up 6-8 volunteers and an event coordinator, we might think about Ontario on Oct. 24-25. The ball's in the air and in your court, Calgunners! :)

supersonic
04-14-2009, 4:10 PM
Anything in Sacramento!!!!!!!!;)

PsychoTrucker
04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
strip club?

stormy_clothing
04-16-2009, 10:53 AM
What I would like to see is a gear day event, where items normally associated with firearms, holsters ect could be demonstrated by both any company representatives or current users. Demo non firing example guns ect should likely be a replacement for actual ones.

For example if you going to hike in a area where firearms are allowed which is the best and most comfortable way to carry, what type of extra items might be usefull, from other defensive weapons like a knife to lighting ect.

Everything from a bug out bag to a range bag, maintaining a firearm for outdoor use ect.

This would probably be best summarized by more than lectures but actual periods of use and comment.

AndrewMendez
04-16-2009, 11:04 AM
What about the Pomona Car Swap Meet??

DSully68
04-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I have the weekend of June 6 & 7 off and am available to help that weekend if needed. PM me with info. Thanks.

Exposed
04-19-2009, 9:08 PM
strip club?

+1 :thumbsup:

Can'thavenuthingood
04-26-2009, 8:10 AM
Raahuage's Sports Fair in Corona has been cancelled due a lack of ammunition.

Vick

SPORTS FAIR IS CANCELLED!
The manufacturer's reps cannot get enough ammo for the public to try out their latest firearms.
Look for us next year - June 4, 5, 6, 2010
We will all be Ready!

Amacias805
04-28-2009, 9:20 PM
what is the purpose of a Calguns booth at a gunshow?

is it for:
donations
Education
fundrasing,
all of the above?

wildhawker
04-28-2009, 9:39 PM
what is the purpose of a Calguns booth at a gunshow?

is it for:
donations
Education
fundrasing,
all of the above?

While the future holds far more than gun shows, you are on the right track:

*Education & Outreach
*Fellowship
*Fundraising (for CGF)

Amacias805
04-29-2009, 4:16 PM
ok that makes sense to me. if there is an event in Santa Barbara - Ventura/Oxnard or some neighboring city's i'd volunteer to help out

SeanCasey
04-30-2009, 6:32 AM
Perhaps some Calguns business cards? Something with the logo and URL on the front, and the back blank so the giver and put their name/screenname on it or other hand written information. An arachnid group I am part of does this at their shows and it is really helpful, plus it would be nice to have something to hand out to people outside of shows.

blackberg
04-30-2009, 8:49 AM
Ive been thinking of exactly this actually, I can get them printed out no problem, but I need someone to come up with language for them.

-bb

Perhaps some Calguns business cards? Something with the logo and URL on the front, and the back blank so the giver and put their name/screenname on it or other hand written information. An arachnid group I am part of does this at their shows and it is really helpful, plus it would be nice to have something to hand out to people outside of shows.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I think English would be the predominate language. :)

Vick

soopafly
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
...for those that don't get it, blackberg is talking about copy...body copy, verbiage, etc...and English would be good. Although I'm familiar with a couple other languages, English is the one I'm most fluent in.:)

Can'thavenuthingood
04-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I got it, just couldn't resist:)

Vick

soopafly
04-30-2009, 1:45 PM
I know Vick, my comment wasn't directed towards you.:) It was for those that read blackberg's post and really thought that we might print up cards in multiple languages.

Amacias805
04-30-2009, 6:02 PM
I know Vick, my comment wasn't directed towards you.:) It was for those that read blackberg's post and really thought that we might print up cards in multiple languages.

as they say, common sense aint that common! :thumbsup:

blackberg
04-30-2009, 8:14 PM
I was actually thinking of our own specific Calguns language, like CG-latin or something

JK,:thumbsup:

yeah I meant what to put inside

although sometimes I think some politicians, etc, need something else since they cant understand something like the 2nd A...

-bb

wildhawker
04-30-2009, 8:32 PM

We have produced just such a thing, but are always looking for ways to improve. We have ~800 of this design left, so when we burn through them we can replenish with the "latest and greatest" version.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/wildhawker/CGNBlankBusCard-1.jpg

bplvr
04-30-2009, 8:46 PM
That design was VERY good for busy gun shows . The business card should have something about the 501-C-3 status and the address for donations. I rescue Golden Retrievers from shelters and our card makes it easy to donate.

wildhawker
04-30-2009, 8:55 PM
That design was VERY good for busy gun shows . The business card should have something about the 501-C-3 status and the address for donations. I rescue Golden Retrievers from shelters and our card makes it easy to donate.

Calguns is not 501(c)(3); The Calguns Foundation is a separate non-profit organization.

We mights be able to have a "front side" for Calguns and a "back side" for CGF with this info, but the cost to print 2-sided color may be prohibitive.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-30-2009, 8:57 PM
We have produced just such a thing, but are always looking for ways to improve. We have ~800 of this design left, so when we burn through them we can replenish with the "latest and greatest" version.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/wildhawker/CGNBlankBusCard-1.jpg

Hey, that's a pretty neat card. When did we start giving those out?
What else is there for show stuff?

Vick

soopafly
04-30-2009, 9:41 PM
Hell, why not...if you guys want, I can design the CGN business cards also. Who do I talk to about that?

If this keeps up, CGN will need a dedicated advertising/marketing department. The graphic design ninja(http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=167453) has no problems taking the reigns as creative director.:shuriken:

wildhawker
04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Hell, why not...if you guys want, I can design the CGN business cards also. Who do I talk to about that?

If this keeps up, CGN will need a dedicated advertising/marketing department. The graphic design ninja(http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=167453) has no problems taking the reigns as creative director.:shuriken:

PM sent.

blackberg
05-01-2009, 6:50 AM
dude, havent I said I can do super awesome pricing for CGF related stuff?
most of the time I can do 2 sided biz cards for the same price as single sided.
-bb

Calguns is not 501(c)(3); The Calguns Foundation is a separate non-profit organization.

We mights be able to have a "front side" for Calguns and a "back side" for CGF with this info, but the cost to print 2-sided color may be prohibitive.

wildhawker
05-01-2009, 7:11 AM
dude, havent I said I can do super awesome pricing for CGF related stuff?
most of the time I can do 2 sided biz cards for the same price as single sided.
-bb

This community is awesome.

BB, let me do some checking this weekend on how to approach the 2-org cards and we'll touch base on this next week. :thumbsup:

Mrs.Wildhawker
05-05-2009, 7:36 PM
After the Cow Palace show, we came up with a few ideas for attracting folks to the Calguns booth and I'm curious what others think...

I think trying a small 'bake sale' at the booth may be a good way to attract people (instead of them running away thinking we're trying to sell them a gimmick). The food at the venue sucks, so I think it would attract people to the booth and give us a chance to give them some info on Calguns, all while collecting a few dollars from them. Probably won't be a huge money-maker, but may be a good traffic driver. This may also be a good way to get something for the kids.

In the interest of putting together something other than calguns shirts and hats some ideas are:

Aprons with a good line like:
"Calguns Foundation: Burning bad gun laws since 2008". (or "cooking up..." "smokin'..." "grillin'...")
A pink camo apron with an evil black rifle (maybe a kitten too?) =)
Some sort of comic or joke related to gun ownership not necessarily relating to calguns (so that non-calguns folks may be interested in throwing down money for it)

Coffee mugs with a calguns logo or a cute saying:
"I like my coffee like I like my rifles" (again to attract non calguns folks... but could put the calguns logo on the back so we get the advertisement spot)

Any thoughts? I'm more than happy to sew up 10 aprons or so for the San Jose show just to see how they do... but I need some help with ideas on the print.

bplvr
05-05-2009, 7:59 PM
After the Cow Palace show, we came up with a few ideas for attracting folks to the Calguns booth and I'm curious what others think...

I think trying a small 'bake sale' at the booth may be a good way to attract people (instead of them running away thinking we're trying to sell them a gimmick). The food at the venue sucks, so I think it would attract people to the booth and give us a chance to give them some info on Calguns, all while collecting a few dollars from them. Probably won't be a huge money-maker, but may be a good traffic driver. This may also be a good way to get something for the kids.
=========

The ladies of our Civil war re-enactment used to do this but ran afoul of the health dept. for permits and stuff like verifiable handwashing during baking ...etc. To bad .Home made cookies were a big seller. Any foodstuffs need to be ...how would you say 'Tylenol proofed"
===============

In the interest of putting together something other than calguns shirts and hats some ideas are:

Aprons with a good line like:
"Calguns Foundation: Burning bad gun laws since 2008". (or "cooking up..." "smokin'..." "grillin'...")
A pink camo apron with an evil black rifle (maybe a kitten too?) =)
Some sort of comic or joke related to gun ownership not necessarily relating to calguns (so that non-calguns folks may be interested in throwing down money for it)

Coffee mugs with a calguns logo or a cute saying:
"I like my coffee like I like my rifles" (again to attract non calguns folks... but could put the calguns logo on the back so we get the advertisement spot)
===========
We used to do coffee mugs at work and people would order stuff and say "if I buy another $10,000 worth of product how many mugs can I have" .
We paid $1.43 with our logo and phone # . I think they cost us $400.00 and sold $500,000 worth of product. They were "no -spill "and shaped like an upside down "Y". Made of plastic. If I can locate them I will send you a link.
This was the best promotion we did

I have a check here for CGF and I need 30 + OLL books [all pre-sold}

Please advise
Sincerly, bplvr
=============

Any thoughts? I'm more than happy to sew up 10 aprons or so for the San Jose show just to see how they do... but I need some help with ideas on the print.

See message above

wildhawker
05-05-2009, 8:22 PM
Bplvr, PM sent.

bwiese
05-05-2009, 9:05 PM
Brandon,

I'm more than willing to contribute a coffee pot (the big office-style West Bend percolator) and a buncha coffee for the Bay Area shows, and send a similar pot down to float around in SoCal, appropriately schlepped around the SoCal shows by the good folks helping down there (and some $$$ for coffee down there). I'd expect that a volunteer or two could help with sugar/creamer.

As long as there's electrical at the shows "come see Calguns for a cup of coffee" may be a nice draw - I know it'd grab me.

Possible issues: conflict with the show organizer or showgrounds cafe/canteen, contractual "no unpackaged food sales by vendors" agreements etc.

Bowser
05-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I suggest we have a SHOOT-N-Q at CHABOT SOMETIME SOON!

domokun
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Brandon,

I'm more than willing to contribute a coffee pot (the big office-style West Bend percolator) and a buncha coffee for the Bay Area shows, and send a similar pot down to float around in SoCal, appropriately schlepped around the SoCal shows by the good folks helping down there (and some $$$ for coffee down there). I'd expect that a volunteer or two could help with sugar/creamer.

As long as there's electrical at the shows "come see Calguns for a cup of coffee" may be a nice draw - I know it'd grab me.

Possible issues: conflict with the show organizer or showgrounds cafe/canteen, contractual "no unpackaged food sales by vendors" agreements etc.

There's ways around this especially with bottled drinks. Mainly it's just slap a sticker with your "brand" on it and give it away as a promo item? :thumbsup:

sorensen440
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM
that sounds like a great idea

wildhawker
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM

PM me to discuss- can you head this up?

command_liner
05-18-2009, 5:29 PM
The NRA Members Council of Huntington Beach, in co-operation with all
SoCal Members Councils, is marching in the HB July 4 Parade. This parade
is the largest of its kind east of the Mississippi and gets lots of press
coverage.

All NRA members are invited to walk. The more, the better. We
will have a single vehicle for those that cannot walk. We have paid the
entrance fee and will be marching, so come along. Bring children if you
have them. This is a morning event, so the rest of your day is free.

The event takes a few hours. Walking in the parade is done at a slow pace.
Lots of waving and smiling are encouraged. Wear your NRA gear, but
wearing firearms will probably bring excess grief and a stay in jail. HB
is like that, especially on the 4th.

We could have a brief, or long, after-parade meeting down on the beach.
Getting one or more parking spaces right on the sand is an exercise in
patience and early morning driving. No guaranteed location is
possible, so I cannot say "meet here".

Is anybody interested in attending? We could co-ordinate through this
thread, or perhaps through hbnra@yahoo.com, or perhaps through some
other method. We are open to all suggestions.

Locals interested in learning more are welcome to come to our meeting
tomorrow (Tuesday) at 7PM at Old World German Restaurant.

wildhawker
05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Some things I have been hearing quite a bit of support for and see as possible next steps:

* Ventura
* Vallejo

On the radar for 2009 that we'd like to make happen but need some feedback (and volunteers):

* Roseville/Sacto
* Northern Cal
* Big Reno Show

Some stretch goals for 2010:

* Big Reno Show
* County Fairs (Alameda, LA)
* Outdoors & Sporting Conventions/Trade Shows

Thoughts?

Matt C
05-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I think it would be cool to have a calguns charity ride (motorcycle).

DocSkinner
05-22-2009, 11:42 PM
that sounds like a great idea

would love something like that!

Wildhawker -
if you can help me with connections, I have time, if none if the other posters have time to lead it!

wildhawker
05-23-2009, 9:21 AM
would love something like that!

Wildhawker -
if you can help me with connections, I have time, if none if the other posters have time to lead it!

Shoot me an email and we'll get to work.

I think it would be cool to have a calguns charity ride (motorcycle).

Sounds like fun- email me (combspm@gmail.com) and let's see how we can help make it happen.

FastFinger
05-24-2009, 1:18 PM
If the goal is to spread the word and encourage people to visit CGN doing so in target rich environment gun shows is the way to go. But there is the "preaching to the choir" aspect to consider.

Over the short span of this project it sounds like the CGN message presentation has been developed and fine tuned - maybe it's time to expand our turf and reach out to the great unwashed?

With the recent dramatic increase in firearm and ammo sales it's a safe bet that a lot of folks who were on the fence re: 2A are coming over to our side, and no doubt there are many more who aren't yet fully enlightened, yet may be more receptive to our message now than at any other time.

Among our ranks we represent a good cross section of the general public, for that reason we should strive to be seen and share our vision and mission at general public events.

Which is why we should consider putting 2 or 3 general public events on the booth calendar. Which ones? In better economic times an RV/Boat show would make sense, but probably not now. To get the most bang for the buck - and resources - we should consider large fairs - Los Angeles, Santa Clara, and the State Fair. The downside to them is that they run at least a week and it might be difficult to man-up volunteers for that long a duration, realistically 2 or 3 day events are more manageable.

Car shows, street fairs, music festivals, farmer's markets... If there's a good crowd, and the price of admission isn't too steep, we should consider it "booth worthy."

On Saturday 23 the Los Angeles Times had an article about how Air Shows were becoming very popular. They're fun for the entire family, and inexpensive. Certainly the crowd wouldn't be fervent gun grabbers. Mather Airport has a show on 9/12-13 in Sacramento, and Miramar in San Diego has a show 10/2-4.

TheCilician
05-24-2009, 3:07 PM
Yeahhhhhhhhh.....but:

I had to search many a forum to find CG. The difference with us is that we don't just take anybody. Imagine if we had "forced" members to join our ranks and spill beans on what other members carry, or dilute the Q&A part of this great site where you are almost always guaranteed to find a legitimate answer to your questions....

I disagree, on the car-show, music, farmers market booth ideas.

Let's stick to gun-shows and anything related, like Air shows, where the presence of firearms and the military are prevalent and people might be inspired, in such an atmosphere, to join us.

krushem2000
05-25-2009, 7:09 PM
Vallejo show should be excellent show since I was sent an email by promoter code of west. They are agressively promoting this show trying to make it the biggest show in northern ca but not in size proportion compared to reno. they are attempting to do this on a regular basis when weather is nice because of lack of venues they are losing over time due to politics/laws/controversy like cattlepoop in daly city, etc. it would be nice to see a calgun booth for one show a year to keep touch with calgunners than just the cattlepoop show. thanks :thumbsup: for all you do is protect calgunners rights in ca.

wildhawker
05-25-2009, 9:20 PM
Well-articulated points gentlemen- this is the thought-provoking feedback we love to read. Please keep it coming!

Liberty1
05-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Wear your NRA gear, but
wearing firearms will probably bring excess grief and a stay in jail. HB
is like that, especially on the 4th.

Lots of groups (color guards, re-enactors) carry arms in the HB 4th of July parade. I say go for it tastfully! How about an OLL color guard?

pullnshoot25
06-03-2009, 4:57 PM
One of my next OC outings is going to be a farmer's market or an art show. I will let you all know how it goes.

sorensen440
06-03-2009, 5:26 PM
We need someone to setup a shootNQ at Chabot in the near future

KevMorris
06-05-2009, 3:37 PM
Is there any kind of organized event where a bunch of shooters each bring a few different guns and each walk around and shoot with other shooter's guns?

I'd love to be able to bring a few and be able to shoot a dozen or more of other people's guns for a few rounds in each just to see what they shoot like.

Does anything like that ever happen?

lorax3
06-05-2009, 4:26 PM
Is there any kind of organized event where a bunch of shooters each bring a few different guns and each walk around and shoot with other shooter's guns?

Like a Potluck of Firearms.

Gator Monroe
06-05-2009, 4:33 PM
How bout a CGN night at the Magic Castle (Hollywood) with our own table and special food just for us and front row seats for the Magic shows !:thumbsup:

gucci pilot
06-06-2009, 9:50 PM
I noticed that Wildhawker mentioned the Reno show in August. Has Calguns set up a booth there before? If so, I seemed to miss it. Count me in for the next one, though...

wildhawker
06-06-2009, 9:52 PM
This would be the first year for a Reno event- a huge show with lots of potential to spread the good word. As soon as we can nail down a few logistical issues I'll be posting more details.

gucci pilot
06-07-2009, 4:35 PM
Dumb question. Does Nevada have an equivalent to Calguns? If so, do they have a booth at Reno?

Liberty1
06-09-2009, 8:52 PM
I'd like to see a Calguns.net / Foundation out reach booth at this Orange County CCW / NRA get together: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=192628

maybe the powers that be can do lunch and see it as a win/win.

wildhawker
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
If the goal is to spread the word and encourage people to visit CGN doing so in target rich environment gun shows is the way to go. But there is the "preaching to the choir" aspect to consider.

Over the short span of this project it sounds like the CGN message presentation has been developed and fine tuned - maybe it's time to expand our turf and reach out to the great unwashed?

With the recent dramatic increase in firearm and ammo sales it's a safe bet that a lot of folks who were on the fence re: 2A are coming over to our side, and no doubt there are many more who aren't yet fully enlightened, yet may be more receptive to our message now than at any other time.

Among our ranks we represent a good cross section of the general public, for that reason we should strive to be seen and share our vision and mission at general public events.

Which is why we should consider putting 2 or 3 general public events on the booth calendar. Which ones? In better economic times an RV/Boat show would make sense, but probably not now. To get the most bang for the buck - and resources - we should consider large fairs - Los Angeles, Santa Clara, and the State Fair. The downside to them is that they run at least a week and it might be difficult to man-up volunteers for that long a duration, realistically 2 or 3 day events are more manageable.

Car shows, street fairs, music festivals, farmer's markets... If there's a good crowd, and the price of admission isn't too steep, we should consider it "booth worthy."

On Saturday 23 the Los Angeles Times had an article about how Air Shows were becoming very popular. They're fun for the entire family, and inexpensive. Certainly the crowd wouldn't be fervent gun grabbers. Mather Airport has a show on 9/12-13 in Sacramento, and Miramar in San Diego has a show 10/2-4.

Excellent points, a few thoughts:

* Fairs (especially LA) are almost impossible to crack as a "pro-gun" entity; that said, they are a stretch goal.

* We seem to be able to man 2-3 days in some locals; Costa Mesa and Del Mar are both areas served by an active Calguns membership. Bay Area is good but touch and go, other locals have intermittent interest. Ideally we will grow our infrastructure this year to accomodate some of the more labor-intensive events next year.

* Farmer's markets are interesting animals- super competitive (I think moreso than gun shows, craft fairs and the like) but political demographics differ drastically even between neighboring cities. I have some contacts in this arena, a card to play at some point possibly later this year.

* Outdoors orgs (motorcycles, bicycles, hikers, fishing, etc.) and their trade shows/events are a nice mid term goal for us; not too far out into the unwashed for our resources but far enough to gain exposure in a largely-untapped group of (many) sympathizers.

* Air shows are a great idea; lots of military and patriotic people, it would anecdotally seem to be a step away from the gun show audience but close enough to make some immediate impact. Anyone with contacts or experience in this arena?

glockwise2000
06-09-2009, 11:19 PM
BBQ at Kestryll's.

+1 :thumbsup:

spectr17
06-16-2009, 9:09 PM
2 huge events in Socal that Calguns should be at.

Bass Pro's Fall Classic in Rancho Cucamonga. I PMed Eric Mayer the point of contact there who gives us our invite for our booth. Aug 17th through 23rd. Booths can be manned all week if you want but most do just Fri-Sun.

SCI's Youth Safari Day in Norco at Raahauges July 18th 2009. Lots of new kids and even adults who've never held a gun before. Great place to spread the word and recruit new gun folks. SCI is good folks to work with too. I have a POC for this also if anyone wants it.

http://www.youthsafariday.com/index1.html

One last minute event.

This Saturday there is a big Hunter Ed class at San Jacinto Wildlife Area near Lake Perris. This has grown to be quite a soiree' with 70+ folks in the hunter ed class, a big BBQ on the patio, vendor booths, tours of the wetlands etc. Lots of parents, wardens, DFG, VIPs and other hanging around all day to talk to. Eric is sending me some Calguns info to hand out but if someone wants to come and help out that would be even better. Calguns can have their own booth even if you have the horsepower, you just need to let SJWA know before Saturday if you want a booth.

http://www.sjwa.info/

Farmer's markets are interesting animals- super competitive (I think moreso than gun shows, craft fairs and the like) but political demographics differ drastically even between neighboring cities. I have some contacts in this arena, a card to play at some point possibly later this year.

Cross Redlands' Market Night off the list. They banned us because we talked about knives and guns, oh my. I'll check with the other market nights around here to see how they feel. Most are not gun friendly as noted above.

Eric Mayer
06-16-2009, 9:43 PM
Got it Jesse. That might be a good opportunity for a seminar from someone knowledgeable about OLL's.

I'll shoot the info to Brandon as well.

Thanks!

spectr17
06-16-2009, 11:24 PM
The COHA car will be racing Saturday June 20th at Infineon Raceway in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Sears Point CA. COHA will have a booth there too. I have a contact with COHA if anyone wants see about a booth next year at the race.

http://www.outdoorheritage.org/

Check out their car. Maybe get CalGuns to be a sponsor and get the CalGuns logo on the car? What's a better place to recruit gun owners than a turn left race with a bazillion people? There is also a huge Nascar race down here in Fontana where a booth would work. I have no POCs for Fontana NASCAR yet, working on it.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/coha_nascar.jpg

Crusader
06-23-2009, 8:46 PM
Calguns Auction/Fundraiser. We could have members donate anything they wanted to, and all proceeds could go to the Foundation.

If someone has a large house or a bit of land, we wouldn't even have to rent a space.
Then we could do a huge Calguns lunch or something afterwards.

KylaGWolf
07-05-2009, 9:45 PM
I know that at the End of June they hold a street fair in the Ocean Beach area of San Diego. May be a long shot but could be an idea since it is right before the Del Mar gun show.

hellraiser
07-16-2009, 7:41 PM
is there gonna be another calguns booth at the san jose show July 25-26 ??? or is eveyone going to fresno???

Can'thavenuthingood
07-17-2009, 6:14 AM
is there gonna be another calguns booth at the san jose show July 25-26 ??? or is eveyone going to fresno???

Haven't heard anything more regarding Fresno Volunteers and still need a coordinator for it. Time is getting real short

Vick

gucci pilot
07-31-2009, 8:47 PM
Fellas, any news on a booth at the Reno Gun Show? I'm willing to volunteer. Good visibility for the NORCAL guys. Wildhawker?

wildhawker
08-02-2009, 8:52 PM
Fellas, any news on a booth at the Reno Gun Show? I'm willing to volunteer. Good visibility for the NORCAL guys. Wildhawker?

The next Reno show is Oct. 24-25. It's something we'd entertain if a coordinator could be established within a few weeks and we had some level of certainty that there was a handful of volunteers willing to make the road trip.

gucci pilot
08-02-2009, 11:50 PM
So, nothing for the August Reno show? Okies, I'll case the joint for you guys. See ya'll in October.

elrcastor
08-09-2009, 7:03 PM
The next Reno show is Oct. 24-25. It's something we'd entertain if a coordinator could be established within a few weeks and we had some level of certainty that there was a handful of volunteers willing to make the road trip.

i'm interested in working the booth

sd_arby
09-03-2009, 8:59 PM
2ND amendment march is set for April 19th. in D.C. at the Washington monument. Permits are in hand and the hope is to have 2 million supporters.

I am promoting it through our local Members Council. Will there be any support from CalGuns?

http://secondamendmentmarch.com

:auto: lets go!

NotEnoughGuns
09-08-2009, 8:42 PM
2ND amendment march is set for April 19th. in D.C. at the Washington monument. Permits are in hand and the hope is to have 2 million supporters.

I am promoting it through our local Members Council. Will there be any support from CalGuns?

http://secondamendmentmarch.com

:auto: lets go!

I hope so.

On a side note. Is there a reason Calguns doesn't have a booth at the Vallejo gun show put on by Code of the West? Must be 6-8 shows a year there and it is usually packed like a sardine can.

patsline74
09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm new here, so bare with me if I missed something, but it doesn't seem like there has been a lot in the Central Coast area (San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, etc), even though I've seen some members who either live or are active in SLO. The area seems pretty conservative and I believe 2A friendly.

If farmer's markets are of interest, SLO's would be a good one. I also really like the air shows idea, and it seems to me like there are a lot in the area. I'm a student at Cal Poly, so except for finals week, I could probably help out with events.

Just my .02.

wildhawker
09-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I hope so.
On a side note. Is there a reason Calguns doesn't have a booth at the Vallejo gun show put on by Code of the West? Must be 6-8 shows a year there and it is usually packed like a sardine can.

I'm new here, so bare with me if I missed something, but it doesn't seem like there has been a lot in the Central Coast area (San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, etc), even though I've seen some members who either live or are active in SLO. The area seems pretty conservative and I believe 2A friendly.

If farmer's markets are of interest, SLO's would be a good one. I also really like the air shows idea, and it seems to me like there are a lot in the area. I'm a student at Cal Poly, so except for finals week, I could probably help out with events.

Just my .02.

If Calguns hasn't been there, it's because we haven't had the help step up to make it happen. It you're interesting in helping us get some things going in that area, email me your name and contact info- we're always looking for volunteers and volunteer coordinators.

-BC

inkedshooter
09-30-2009, 9:47 PM
Although legality issues may be an issue, but what if we had a Calguns kind of a flea market of some sorts, maybe at a local gunshop? No firearms, maybe no ammo, but firearms parts and accessories. It would be like taking the sales section and making it more in person, basically a gunshow minus firearms and more Calguns oriented. Members selling goods could set up a booth and donate the use of the booth towards the Calguns Foundation. Or have Calguns get togethers/bbqs where we can get together to talk guns, eat good bbq, and pawn/trade some parts other members could use.

CHS
10-29-2009, 2:29 PM
Something I just thought of.

People have been talking about a Calguns booth at the SHOT show, but I can think of something even better. How about a SEMINAR put on BY Calguns/CGF at the SHOT show to be used as an educational tool for dealers/distributors/manufacturers to learn about CA law and how they can make money by selling their products in CA with the right tweaks.

Maybe we could even get sponsors like Daniel Defense or LWRC involved, since they actively sell guns into California. Maybe JD Machine (formerly known as Kaiser Defense) could get a few minutes to explain how they actually manufacture AR receivers in the state.

Someone from the foundation can explain the legal landscape, a companies liability, and give some of the history behind the DoJ essentially giving up on fighting us.

leitung
11-16-2009, 1:00 AM
Something I just thought of.

People have been talking about a Calguns booth at the SHOT show, but I can think of something even better. How about a SEMINAR put on BY Calguns/CGF at the SHOT show to be used as an educational tool for dealers/distributors/manufacturers to learn about CA law and how they can make money by selling their products in CA with the right tweaks.

Maybe we could even get sponsors like Daniel Defense or LWRC involved, since they actively sell guns into California. Maybe JD Machine (formerly known as Kaiser Defense) could get a few minutes to explain how they actually manufacture AR receivers in the state.

Someone from the foundation can explain the legal landscape, a companies liability, and give some of the history behind the DoJ essentially giving up on fighting us.

I like the idea.. get outside of california off the FUD wagon...

Well played..

Purple K
11-17-2009, 9:31 PM
Is there a Coordinator designated yet for the Dec. 5-6 Vallejo Gun Show?

K1LLROI
11-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Wondering whats up with the Costa Mesa show?
I was looking forward to donating and getting some gear.
Is there no one available?

gotgunz
11-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Without going through 10 pages of post....

Has anybody thought of having a booth or table at the Reno Show?

wildhawker
11-22-2009, 8:58 PM
SHOT- we're working on it.

Vallejo - we need more coordinators and volunteers in that area if we're to have a presence at the smaller gun shows. We are relying an all of you to step up and man the shows; we'll support you 110% but we can't do it alone.

Costa Mesa - See above.

Reno - We are targeting 1 Reno show in 2010. ;)

Purple K
11-27-2009, 5:22 PM
I'll be a Coordinator for 2010.

Khram
12-28-2009, 2:46 PM
How come no Ontario Jan 2-3 2010 Calguns booth?

bplvr
12-29-2009, 6:58 PM
How come no Ontario Jan 2-3 2010 Calguns booth?

2009 was such a HUGE win for CGN at the shows that we are just about out of everything for the shows .We are spending January to fall back, re-group ,and re-order so 2010 can be even better than 2009. Remember ,our goal is 100,000 + members by the end of 2010. Your support can make that happen.

Lateralus
12-31-2009, 12:01 PM
I think Gun Shows are just one of many events we can use to outreach to California Shooters. I have always wanted to have a BBQ outside a range. Buy plenty of hot dogs and cheap soda, then hand them out for free outside the firing line. Let everyone know the basics about CGN, much like we do at gun shows, and take some donations in the process.

If I was walking out of a range, and some champ handed me a hot dog with a smile, I would definitely check out what they are all about.

mirage2887
01-02-2010, 9:54 AM
Dang it!!! No ontario for CGN an this will be the 1st time attending dis show as a member I wanted to pick up a shirt...... maybe at the MAY show

bplvr
01-02-2010, 1:27 PM
Dang it!!! No ontario for CGN an this will be the 1st time attending dis show as a member I wanted to pick up a shirt...... maybe at the MAY show

You can get a CGN T-shirt from Vick at www.gunsR4.us You can use 'GunPal' to pay for your purchase too !! Win,and WIN .

blackberg
01-03-2010, 3:30 PM
Fred Hall show is coming up in a couple of months,
http://www.fredhall.com/pages/other/exhibitorapplication.php

-bb

bplvr
01-03-2010, 3:41 PM
Fred Hall show is coming up in a couple of months,
http://www.fredhall.com/pages/other/exhibitorapplication.php

-bb

$1,150.00 / booth .........:eek:

diginit
01-03-2010, 4:40 PM
How about a Tannerite shoot. We could make an incredible statement by blowing up a scale replica of the state senate building. :stuart: :D
I know at least 60 CG'ers that would assist. With their friends and families, We would have over 200 people there. :43:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/Ammo%20Testing/CURRENT_SEN.jpg

Yes, I'm Just Kidding...
But some news coverage of our BLM cleanups may help gunners reps. Imagine public opinion after seeing shooters cleaning up our country without the use of firearms on public officials.

blackberg
01-04-2010, 1:08 PM

$1,150.00 / booth .........:eek:

yeah but way more exposure than a gun show, maybe they have a nonprofit discount since we are not commercial

-bb

sdgunpwner
01-12-2010, 7:19 PM
i posted about clean ups and i just took a good look at the forums.......i feel like an idiot.

Yay calguns!!

Fireguy
01-14-2010, 12:14 AM
How about selling hot dogs in front of Bass Pro, they provide the Dogs and Buns. CG just has to provide the chips and sodas and sell the package for $5.

I've done this with the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) and we made enough to make it well worth our while. I believe you can have a fund raising drawing as well as hand out infomation about CG. You should check it out.

Quinc
01-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Are you guys going to be at the Chico Ca gun show February 20th & 21st?

vladbutsky
01-22-2010, 9:11 AM
I hope this is the right thread to post this. If not, please help me locating a better thread.

There was a discussion about trying to reach to new citizens (See thread here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=261264)

Would CalGuns support this?
Can we get CalGuns to help organizing it?

AndrewMendez
01-23-2010, 4:29 AM
I hope this is the right thread to post this. If not, please help me locating a better thread.

There was a discussion about trying to reach to new citizens (See thread here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=261264)

I posted in the thread, and sent a message about it to PennysDad.

mrlonewolf
01-23-2010, 1:05 PM

Interesting idea.

diginit
01-26-2010, 7:39 PM
I think Gun Shows are just one of many events we can use to outreach to California Shooters. I have always wanted to have a BBQ outside a range. Buy plenty of hot dogs and cheap soda, then hand them out for free outside the firing line. Let everyone know the basics about CGN, much like we do at gun shows, and take some donations in the process.

If I was walking out of a range, and some champ handed me a hot dog with a smile, I would definitely check out what they are all about.

I think this may be a good idea. Get their attention with free food. That would work with me...I usually just tell shooters I meet about CG. Once I shoot a little Tannerite, They are all ears. It's a shame it's looked down on here. I know for a fact our little talks have resulted in over 30 new members. All good, law abiding people that enjoy the sport and legal reactive targets. Don't be suprised if more join soon.

greasemonkey
01-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Has anyone here ever gone to/heard of the World Ag Expo in Tulare (www.worldagexpo.com)? It's a pretty big deal with tens of thousands of spectators and exhibitors from all over the world, covering everything from crop/livestock technology to fabrication industries, commercial building construction, ATV's-M/C's, tractors, auto manufacturers, sand rails and modified trucks...it's a BIG deal and an absolutely ideal demographic to get some face time with.

It's coming up on Feb 9-11 and there are still a few booths available.

Smokeybehr
02-07-2010, 9:52 AM
How about an annual Media Day, where we invite the media to one of the local outdoor ranges, educate them on the gun laws of California, any pending legislation or court cases, and let them shoot a variety of firearms from pistols and wheelguns up to our favorite EBRs. CGN would provide lunch (burgers/dogs, chips) and drinks. We'd send special invitations to those media people who are specifically against firearms, so that they could see that we are real people, and those guns aren't going to jump off the table and kill anyone.

I can see doing this in about 9 places: San Diego, LA/OC, Inland Empire, Bakersfield, Central Coast, Fresno, Sacramento, Bay Area, and Redding. We can do it either all in one day, blanketing the state in a single media blitz, or we can stagger them out over a month.

A media package would have to be put together with all of the forms and files listed on the front page, and possibly a CD or DVD with some interviews with CGN's founders, our lawyer partners, and lots of B-roll of safe weapons handling, safe range action, and pictures of happy families out at the range.

diginit
02-08-2010, 4:33 PM
Tell the media to bring the anti gun media with them. So we can show them how wrong they are and explain why guns are the #1 detourent to crime. We could mention that most shootings where 10 or more people are killed all happened in gun free zones. (Columbine, Virginia Tech, Ect.)
Let them shoot a few guns and film their first shot reactions.
Be certain to explain rule #1 just as smokey stated it.....

Acorn556
02-12-2010, 3:24 AM
If we could organize a very good Media day with a range and about 20 CGs would be good. We could show responsible gun ownership and get our answers ready for the loaded questions (i.e. EBRs, Hi cap clips, etc.) and even let the media shoot something if they so please.

I'm pretty sure a range would be willing to work with us so they get the publicity for being a good range and CalGuns gets a bunch of us hanging out with shirts, stickers, business cards, hats etc. showing we're proud of the forum, the people on the forum and the message conveyed through the forum.

Anyone have any media contacts? I didn't read the whole thread.

mtbryder
06-25-2010, 5:01 PM
Might be a good event for a CalGuns Booth

Norco Valley Fair@at Raahauge's Shooting Enterprises

August 5, 2010 - 4 p.m. -- Midnight
Sponsored by the Norco Chamber of Commerce,
the Norco Valley Fair kicks off today and goes through Sun., Aug. 8
It will be held at Polly Pie's Fairgrounds at Raahauge's

ALL SHOOTING AT THE RANGE IS OPEN DURING THE FAIR -- Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun!

Everyone is welcome. The Chamber is selling fair buttons at their office for $8 which get you into all four days of the fair, otherwise admission is $8/person/day.

The fair will feature a Miss Norco Contest :eek:, which is a prelude to Miss America, an all girls rodeo, a full-fledged rodeo, a fiesta, a motocross exhibition featuring Metal Malisha, a Civil War re-enactment, a full circus by the YMCA, a baby pageant, food booths, livestock shows, and much more

INFO and Far Buttons: 1204 Sixth St., Norco, CA 92860; (951) 737-2531; website (http://www.norcochamber.com/)

advocatusdiaboli
08-01-2010, 8:10 AM
How about a sticky thread about the Oregon Sheriff visit for CCW applications. Just dates, places, and needs for support (housing, transportation, etc.). Maybe there is one, but I cannot easily find it. The only one I see is littered with people asking when, where, etc. so any updates will be buried. If there is one already where is it?

NotEnufGarage
01-06-2011, 8:19 PM
Are there any plans to have a booth at the Cow Palace next weekend?

Steyrlp10
01-07-2011, 1:18 PM
Are there any plans to have a booth at the Cow Palace next weekend?

Whenever Calguns is going to be at a particular gun show, you can find the threads in the Community Chapter area (direct links to gun show booth locations can be found near the top of the home page.)

As for the Cow Palace, Calguns isn't due to have a booth there in January 2011. Bplvr will open the thread to request for volunteers when we will be at the Cow Palace. Hope you can lend a hand when we do :)

bplvr
01-07-2011, 2:01 PM
I don't see another Cow Palace show on the X-Roads calendar till September !

SteyrlP10 , Do you want me to post the Feb 12 &13 Vallejo show, or do yins need a break ?

Steyrlp10
01-07-2011, 2:58 PM
I don't see another Cow Palace show on the X-Roads calendar till September !

SteyrlP10 , Do you want me to post the Feb 12 &13 Vallejo show, or do yins need a break ?

Thanks Bplvr... you can open the thread for Vallejo if you think we have enough notice time and if there aren't enough volunteers to man the booth, then we can always direct our attention to the next go around.

So Calgunners, are you ready to help out? :)

KaLiFORNIA
01-07-2011, 5:15 PM
I was watching a show on the outdoor channel, forgot the name. But anyway there was a comp where the targets were tannerite... Id pay to go to that, even take time off if its on the weekend !

Saigon1965
01-07-2011, 5:18 PM
I undestand that the official CGN's position is no on tannerite -

I was watching a show on the outdoor channel, forgot the name. But anyway there was a comp where the targets were tannerite... Id pay to go to that, even take time off if its on the weekend !

KaLiFORNIA
01-20-2011, 2:50 PM
DoH' no tannerite. Maybe just some kind of reactive targets.... ?

Napalm Bulldog
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Can we have a Calguns cleaning event with bikini girls? We donate, They clean our guns. Win win.

They do this in car and bike clubs.

RoundEye
02-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd love to see a monthly shoot similar to the OC one at on target either in the LA of SFV. I'm a member at Firing Line, and would be willing to approach them about such an event if there was enough interest.

The only bad thing is they don't allow rifle fire in doors like On Target does.

GUNFREAK
02-20-2011, 8:10 AM
This may be preaching to the choir but how about asking the NRA and its hosts of the "Friends of NRA" banquets to set up booth at the dinner. We'll be around pro-2A gun folks but we can raise awareness and educate people about OLLs, single shot exemption pistols and just telling people about CalGuns and the CG Foundation.

This is not to try to steal the spotlight away from the NRA but to let people know who their local good guys are and how active we are within the community.

no7vice
03-01-2011, 2:16 PM
I think what we should be doing is getting all the prior service or still active military members involved! I found this on my own while looking for answers on google. But I have many friends that I will now go tell that would be big supporters.

What we should do is set up "Range Days" just for prior service military members to get involved and come out and shoot. The first thing I did was go out and buy a gun the week after getting out! I would be more than willing to help out with this and get something rolling.

Tell me what you guys think.

Rock6.3
03-02-2011, 7:42 AM
Attend an Appleseed?

Two days of three position shooting, intermixed with American Revolutionary War history, spent in the outdoors with freedom loving Americans.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5919922#post5919922

No bipods, no shooting benches, just old fashioned skills that have been practiced by Americans for over 234 years.

doubleoh7
03-17-2011, 9:08 PM
As I just acquired my first AR from a fellow CalGunner - I was wondering what kind of show the OC Gun Show is - will there be mass vendors and quantities of optics ammo and other accessories, or is it pretty drab and I would be better suited waiting for a bigger show somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and time -

Bhobbs
03-17-2011, 10:03 PM
There should be some sort of Calguns On Campus where we have a small booth on college campuses. I go to Cal Poly Pomona and there are always groups there giving out info about what ever.

Intrepid
06-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Kes, is there something in the charter for the CalGuns Foundation (or in the regulations for the same, by state or federal statute) that would prevent a fund-raiser using a prize of a very limited edition bourbon?

Buffalo Trace has 174 bottles it is making available to charitable organizations for their own fund raising, Buffalo Trace's Millennium Barrel (http://buffalotacemillennium.com/).

http://buffalotacemillennium.com/images/bottle.png

Per the web page, requirements are:
To be considered, organizations must:

Submit an official Non-Profit Tax ID number
Be based in the United States
Auction the bottle within the 2011 calendar year

To apply for one of these Millennium Bottles, click "Request a Bottle for your charity auction" and fill out the online form. Recipients will be notified by e-mail on August 1st and bottles shall be sent free of charge.

clark1117
06-14-2011, 4:27 PM
Will calguns be at crossroads in costa mesa aug 20-21?

BC9696
06-16-2011, 4:06 PM
I think a Calguns-Hooter Girls campout would be a hoot!

ryan0320
06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Calgunner poker tournament?
How does it sound?

BC9696
06-28-2011, 8:38 PM
A shooting school weekend would be cool...bet there are plenty of guys here willing to share info on better shooting (stances, breathing control, etc). I know I could use help shooting my .300 Winmag, I'm unable to hold a decent pattern with that damn thing. My 45-70 Govt has a much better pattern and that's just wrong.