PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use the UTG quad rail for your ar-15 carbine?

Burtonwurton
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if it is just me but when I installed the rail it comes out a little off center..I know it is one of the cheaper quad rails but I heard good reviews so I decided to pick one up. Anyone here have experience with this rail system?

deleted by PC police
04-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Like it's rotated? Mine works fine. Are you sure you put it on right?

technique
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
some people do...and they think they are nice....

Last gun show I went to, a guy was selling a bunch of uppers with UTG rail systems...I walked up because I could tell one of them was a Colt. I almost cried when I saw a beautiful Colt HBAR with a UTG rail on it, It took every bit of willpower in me not to buy the upper to free it from the clutches of junk...but it had a huge mark up anyway.

Monte
04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
some people do...and they think they are nice....

Last gun show I went to, a guy was selling a bunch of uppers with UTG rail systems...I walked up because I could tell one of them was a Colt. I almost cried when I saw a beautiful Colt HBAR with a UTG rail on it, It took every bit of willpower in me not to buy the upper to free it from the clutches of junk...but it had a huge mark up anyway.

I take it you're not as impressed as other seem to be? What don't you like about them? I'm just wondering, because I went ahead and ordered one. I really only need one of the rails, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the others available. The price and reviews seemed good, so I decided to give it a shot.

If, at some point, I decide I really need something more robust, I'm thinking a DD Omega would be a good choice, but at nearly $200 more, I just don't see the need right now.

Burtonwurton
04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Ya it's rotated to the left by a little less than a quater inch so its not alligned with my flat top..maybe I should just bring it to a local gun shop or just stick with a Daniel defense rail next time

Weasel
04-08-2009, 12:41 PM
If you have a gun shop near you that is familiar with AR-15 builds, then that's a good option. Also, you don't have jump all the way up to a Daniel Defense rail... There are alot out there that are good. YHM makes some decent ones for about half the price...

deleted by PC police
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Ya it's rotated to the left by a little less than a quater inch so its not alligned with my flat top..maybe I should just bring it to a local gun shop or just stick with a Daniel defense rail next time

It sounds to me like you are just rotated one tooth on the barrel nut.

gn3hz3ku1*
04-08-2009, 12:57 PM
i use one.. works fine

dennis1979gm
04-08-2009, 1:18 PM
I have one and it's a good rail. It's funny how some guys think if it's not $200+ it's junk. It's rock solid when installed I probably would mount an optic on it but for everything else it's fine.

4D5auto
04-08-2009, 1:21 PM
I've got a UTG rear Buis I'm going to use on a CMMG upper, till I get extra $$, but must admit, the UTG sight looks clean with a good finish!

Sam .223
04-08-2009, 1:31 PM
i just took one off and replaced it with the DD omega 9.0, the UTG fit fine with no problems, i just wanted to go free float.

technique
04-08-2009, 1:36 PM
I have one and it's a good rail. It's funny how some guys think if it's not $200+ it's junk. It's rock solid when installed I probably would mount an optic on it but for everything else it's fine.

ya know what else is funny...how UTG doesn't even come close to the fallowing

Daniel Defense
Vltor
TROY
MI
YHM
Samson
Larue.

I have owned all of the above at one time or another. UTG is poor in comparison... Materials ( soft and dingable), finish ( ugly and textured not durable, flake off)

What can you compare your UTG rail to? How the heck do you know what quality is.

Benchrest shooters, weekend warriors the UTG may be fore you. If you wanna play in the mud and beat your gun don't buy UTG...

Yankee hill is about the same cost and better quality!!!!!

Monte
04-08-2009, 1:53 PM
Yankee hill is about the same cost and better quality!!!!!

Really? Yankee Hill seems to be around $129, vs $69 for UTG. Still sounds like it might be worth it, though.

technique
04-08-2009, 3:00 PM
Ehhh rough search revealed UTG at approximately $79.....I can get a YHM for about that....You just gotta look for the deals, either way you go UTG, YHM, or other...you can find deals.

Standard
04-08-2009, 3:08 PM
Got my UTG over a year ago for $50 I think. Has worked great, no wobbles, not loose, no paint chips, etc.
Perfect for what I use it for. I'm not sure that I'd spend any more money on another rail over this one unless it's free floating.

deleted by PC police
04-08-2009, 3:32 PM
Ehhh rough search revealed UTG at approximately $79.....I can get a YHM for about that....You just gotta look for the deals, either way you go UTG, YHM, or other...you can find deals.

Once I replace my UTG with one not made in China I will have to do a little test and take photos. Not going to be for a while though I have to finish my AR-10 first.

supermario
04-08-2009, 3:52 PM
If you have a gun shop near you that is familiar with AR-15 builds, then that's a good option. Also, you don't have jump all the way up to a Daniel Defense rail... There are alot out there that are good. YHM makes some decent ones for about half the price...

The Troy rail is about $150 and very durable.

Monte
04-08-2009, 4:14 PM
Once I replace my UTG with one not made in China I will have to do a little test and take photos. Not going to be for a while though I have to finish my AR-10 first.

Ah, made in China. I guess I should have known.