PDA

View Full Version : GOP subcommittee rebukes OC Sheriff concealed gun policy

GMONEY
04-07-2009, 7:46 AM
Finally they are doing something right...

http://totalbuzz.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/06/gop-subcommittee-rebukes-sheriff-concealed-gun-policy/15219/

aileron
04-07-2009, 7:48 AM
quoting article.

GOP subcommittee rebukes Sheriff concealed gun policy
April 6th, 2009, 6:00 pm

The county’s GOP central committee is gearing up for a showdown with Sheriff Sandra Hutchens over her concealed weapons policies.

This weekend, a resolution committee for the GOP voted 7-0 to condemn Hutchen’s new gun policies, which are stricter than the policy she inherited from former Sheriff Mike Carona.

Allan Bartlett, a GOP activist who heads up the resolution committee, said the panel convened this weekend to hear the resolution prepared by Bruce Whitaker – who works for County Supervisor Chris Norby.

Speaking only for himself, Bartlett said the resolution committee decided to weigh in because of the importance of the gun issue to local Republicans.

“This is a core issue of freedom for the Republican Party,” Bartlett said. “This is way of showing those in our party that we’re backing up our words with actions. This is a small step in sending a message to our voters that we want to get back to the basics of what made our party great in the past.”

While Bartlett said the committee wasn’t making a proclamation on Hutchens, he said her gun policies are not popular.

“Our right to self defense is in the sheriff’s hands. And by interpreting California law as narrowly as she has decided, it’s having a chilling effect on citizens even applying.”

While Hutchens supporters have argued that the issue is not that central to moderate Republicans, such as those in the New Majority, a spokesman for the group declined to comment saying it had not been discussed at any leadership meetings.

Hutchens said she was disappointed in the resolution committee’s vote and said she respectfully disagreed with their take on the issue.

“I understand the concern by the central committee, about the gun issues,” she said. “But I’m disappointed in the fact that they don’t understand that I feel strongly about the integrity of this department.”

“I’m not going to sell the integrity of this office because some people are unhappy about the law. I’m not going to be the vehicle to find a way around that law.”

The issue of concealed weapons permits has been raging since Hutchens took office and decided to tighten how such licenses were granted. Carona made expanding such permits a central part of his three election campaigns.

However, those permits also got on the radar of federal prosecutors who alleged that Carona handed them out to campaign supporters.

Hutchens has been motivated by that since she took office and her policy sharply contrasts with Carona’s.

Hutchens has said that although sheriff’s have broad discretion to hand out such permits, she said state law creates narrow exceptions. Others disagree with her saying that the legislature left such decision in the hands of local sheriffs.

When asked whether she supports in concept the idea of having concealed weapons permits handed out in a uniform manner (often called Shall Issue), Hutchens said she could not comment without seeing specifics of a proposal.

“I think it’s up for debate,” she said. “It’s not a simple decision.”

And despite all the tension in recent months over the gun permits, Hutchens said concealed weapons is “not an issue I’ve studied in terms of ideology and the data.”

That kind of answer, Bartlett said, is what drove the rebuke from the GOP committee.

“By not answering the question,” Bartlett said, “I got the sense that the committee members gave each other the look…that sends the message.”

So while Hutchens has often said she isn’t a politician, that’s how GOP committee members saw her, adroitly skipping a tough question.

Yet Hutchens said it’s not that complicated.

“I don’t think I’m a classic politician in that I’ve taken a stand that in all likelihood can harm me.”

As usual, Hutchens said she’s comfortable letting voters judge her fate.

But the next stop is the full Republican Central Committee on April 20 at the Hyatt hotel in Irvine, which is a public meeting.

PatriotnMore
04-07-2009, 7:59 AM
“But I’m disappointed in the fact that they don’t understand that I feel strongly about the integrity of this department.”

What the hell does the integrity of the department have to do with the public's rights to self protection? With all of the States with shall issue, and all the data available, a comment such as this is mis-leading, and ignorant.

Edit to add: And here it is."And despite all the tension in recent months over the gun permits, Hutchens said concealed weapons is “not an issue I’ve studied in terms of ideology and the data.”

Untamed1972
04-07-2009, 8:17 AM
"And despite all the tension in recent months over the gun permits, Hutchens said concealed weapons is “not an issue I’ve studied in terms of ideology and the data.”

Gotta love that statement. Just want you want....the CLEO in your county making public safety decisions based on nothing.....not even data! Excuse me while I go roll my eyes!

Of course she couldn't look at the data....because if she did it would indicate that her decision was purely political and not based on any fact or true desire to secure public safety.

rkt88edmo
04-07-2009, 8:21 AM
From what I've seen she somehow equates CCW with part of Carona's cronyism and that it has to go. Too bad the election is far enough off that this move may not have as much of an impact.

kermit315
04-07-2009, 8:45 AM
some of the comments at the bottom of that article make me want to puke.

Piper
04-07-2009, 8:47 AM
This is all fine and dandy, but what about the other 2A infringing CLEO's in California? Obviously she's the one with the light shining on her head, but what about the republicans getting busy with the rest? For that matter, is she even a Republican? Does she really care what Republican's think?

Just a thought, when she's by herself, do you think she cries like a girl because she thinks everyone is picking on her?

Untamed1972
04-07-2009, 8:59 AM
Wasn't someone high up with the local rep. party told she was having her permit revoked? Is that why the rep. party is getting involved there now?

PatriotnMore
04-07-2009, 9:12 AM
This is all fine and dandy, but what about the other 2A infringing CLEO's in California?

Policies of enforcement and attitude start at the top, training is a direct reflection of policy. It is attitudes such as Mrs. Hutchens, and the top brass, who create and foster the training LEO receive, which cause the problems, that and poor decisions at the street level.

The top management, and training need to change, that will filter to the rank and file. Until then, its going to be business as usual.

DDT
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
"And despite all the tension in recent months over the gun permits, Hutchens said concealed weapons is “not an issue I’ve studied in terms of ideology and the data.”

I call BS. If she doesn't have data then she is relying on ideology. Just not the ideology that will get her re-elected so she claims instead what? She flipped a coin and it came up "no issue?" She looked deep in her heart and decided to go "no issue" for the children? Her undersheriff told her he was afraid of "civilians" with guns?

If not data or ideology (firmly held beliefs) then what caused the massive shift in policy?

U2BassAce
04-07-2009, 3:40 PM
Wasn't someone high up with the local rep. party told she was having her permit revoked? Is that why the rep. party is getting involved there now?

No this was in the works before that news broke. There has been a LOT going on the last 6 to 8 months that led to this.

Check out www.occcws.com they seem to have the inside track on what is going on in Orange County.

nicki
04-07-2009, 4:02 PM
I agree with Hutchens that Orange county needed to revise Corona's CCW policies.

The revision that was needed was "Equal Issue", not revoking the permits of people who have permits.

"Equal under the Law" is carved in stone on the Supreme Court.

How can her and the rest of the sheriffs be that clueless about that we are all equal citizens with equal rights and privileges.

I guess she only believes in "equal rights" for some things.

Nicki

tango-52
04-07-2009, 4:49 PM
I guess she only believes in "equal rights" for some things.

Nicki

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"
- George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 10

and another one, with some artistic license

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Hutchens that all animals are equal. SHe would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"
- George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 5

RomanDad
04-07-2009, 5:10 PM
:D...

Paladin
04-07-2009, 8:00 PM
“I understand the concern by the central committee, about the gun issues,” she said. “But I’m disappointed in the fact that they don’t understand that I feel strongly about the integrity of this department.”

If I were the head of the OC Repub Resolution Cmte, I'd go to the media and demand an apology because Hutchins just accused the Cmte of trying to undermine the integrity of the Sheriffs Department. If I didn't get an apology, I'd make a very strong case before the Republican Central Cmte on April 20 that they stand not just against her policy, but against her personally for using the office of Sheriff to smear the Repub Resolution Cmte.

“I’m not going to sell the integrity of this office because some people are unhappy about the law. I’m not going to be the vehicle to find a way around that law.” Again she smears the Repub Resolution Cmte, accusing them of trying to use her to get around the law. They are doing neither. The law does not have to change. If it did, Carona would have been charged w/violating CA's "May Issue" law w/most of the CCWs he issued. What the Cmte wanted her to change was her standard of discretion under the law.

The chief law enforcement officer of Orange County has misrepresented to the public both the law and the OC Repub Resolution Cmte's position.

For these public false accusations against an official OC Repub party organ, the Central Cmte should unanimously condemn both her and her anti-CCW issuance policy.

I smell blood in the water. Strike while the iron is hot! :43:

Riodog
04-07-2009, 9:19 PM
What the f*ck does the "integrity" of the department have to do with this issue??? The dept deals with the law-NOT the integrity of which they have very little under the current sheriff. I don't give a rat's *** about what she 'feels'.
If I were the head of the OC Repub Resolution Cmte, I'd go to the media and demand an apology because Hutchins just accused the Cmte of trying to undermine the integrity of the Sheriffs Department. If I didn't get an apology, I'd make a very strong case before the Republican Central Cmte on April 20 that they stand not just against her policy, but against her personally for using the office of Sheriff to smear the Repub Resolution Cmte.

“I’m not going to sell the integrity of this office because some people are unhappy about the law. WE are not discussing the law at this point, just some arrogant broads interpretation of the existing law. I’m not going to be the vehicle to find a way around that law.”[/COLOR] Again she smears the Repub Resolution Cmte, accusing them of trying to use her to get around the law. They are doing neither. The law does not have to change. If it did, Carona would have been charged w/violating CA's "May Issue" law w/most of the CCWs he issued. What the Cmte wanted her to change was her standard of discretion under the law.

The chief law enforcement officer of Orange County has misrepresented to the public both the law and the OC Repub Resolution Cmte's position.

For these public false accusations against an official OC Repub party organ, the Central Cmte should unanimously condemn both her and her anti-CCW issuance policy.

I smell blood in the water. Strike while the iron is hot! :43:

This Bs is actually the fault of the O.C. Board of Supervisors as they are the ones that imported this POS from L. A. county. They should have known that she'd have been brain-washed enough to try and attempt to run OC down the same path as LA county. Vote out this POS clown and every BOS that voted for her.

Whatever Michael Corona did or did not do wasn't as destructive as this broad.
Rio

Dark Paladin
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
And despite all the tension in recent months over the gun permits, Hutchens said concealed weapons is “not an issue I’ve studied in terms of ideology and the data.”

I think her statement right there says it all. How the frak did the county BoS arrive at the conclusion that she was qualified for the position?

rynando
04-07-2009, 11:03 PM
This Bs is actually the fault of the O.C. Board of Supervisors as they are the ones that imported this POS from L. A. county. They should have known that she'd have been brain-washed enough to try and attempt to run OC down the same path as LA county. Vote out this POS clown and every BOS that voted for her.

Not that this is an excuse but keep in mind the climate in which she was selected by the BOS. The supervisors wanted someone who was as opposite as possible to Carona. They didn’t want another flamboyant, cocky, corrupt loud-mouth. They wanted a non-political bureaucrat/administrator. They also, for obvious reasons, wanted an outsider who wouldn’t have been tainted by association with Carona or his corporate culture.

Look at the losers they have in the department now . . . those ridiculous text messages and the abusive treatment of the citizenry in a public meeting space. That sort of attitude undoubtedly pre-dated Hutchens’ arrival on the scene. She’s taking a lot of the blame for her officers behavior (as well she should) however ask yourself how many of these shenanigans are directly her fault and how many are the result of the morons who work for her making asses out of themselves. She’s stuck doing (a poor job of) damage control after the fact. I’m sure the supervisor’s were hoping for a complete overhaul of the existing LE situation by inserting Hutchens in that position however it would appear that is not to be the case.

Whatever Michael Corona did or did not do wasn't as destructive as this broad.

Michael Carona’s behavior is the reason there’re a lot of empty holsters in the OC right now. He gave Hutchens the moral high-ground to do what she’s doing. Do you think that if Carona retired or left under good terms his successor would have had the ability (or the desire) to abolish her predecessor’s CCW policies so forcefully? She’s, in her words, applying the law "fairly" now. And she is . . . just in the worst possible way.

R

DDT
04-07-2009, 11:12 PM
The supervisors wanted someone who was as opposite as possible to Carona. They didn’t want another flamboyant, cocky, corrupt loud-mouth.

Interesting that right after this you go on to recount cocky, corrupt, loud mouthed things that she and her toadies have done since taking office. Don't know about flamboyant.

N6ATF
04-08-2009, 1:09 AM
Our government has no integrity!

Especially when it treats the majority of citizens as criminals and denies their right to have a chance to live.

Untamed1972
04-08-2009, 8:13 AM
No this was in the works before that news broke. There has been a LOT going on the last 6 to 8 months that led to this.

Check out www.occcws.com they seem to have the inside track on what is going on in Orange County.

Coulda swore I remember in another thread/article posted it talked about one of the first people to get a revocation letter was a woman from the local Rep. party office.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-08-2009, 8:21 AM
Coulda swore I remember in another thread/article posted it talked about one of the first people to get a revocation letter was a woman from the local Rep. party office.

Just to keep facts straight, the person I believe you are referring to is the OC GOP chief cheerleader, Mike Schroeder.