PDA

View Full Version : Any C&R, off list SKS?

wash
04-06-2009, 11:16 PM
I was looking at the AW coloring book and I saw that SKS with detachable magazine has a pretty vague description: "Various" manufacturers and SKS "usually" found on the receiver.

I know the AR and AK series got thrown out. Since it doesn't look like any specific SKS were listed, and I know that a fixed magazine SKS is legal, why should it be illegal to take a fixed magazine "SKS" and modify it for detachable magazines if you keep it otherwise featureless?

It seems like the bullet button and a bunch of other great pieces of progress keep falling out of the SKS isn't an AW definition, so why is a "SKS with detachable magazine" that isn't listed specifically and isn't an AW by features an "Assault Weapon"?

FS00008
04-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Russian SKS' are all C&R.

bwiese
04-06-2009, 11:52 PM
We've gone over this before. Don't do it.

Harrott primarily deals with 'series' in terms of AR/AK only [because that's the only place the word is used in Roberti-Roos list]. Note that Harrot says *anything* marked AK47 regardless of mfgr is banned, too. This logic can cautiously be extended into other areas.

The SKSw/DM is in an interesting zone - it's in a named list of guns but is defined by feature.

Problem is, most SKS rifles are indeed SKSes, termed SKS, etc. Certainly a Russian SKS is indeed an SKS. Chinese SKS clones were imported and sold and packaged as SKS rifles too.

By contrast, the Yugo M59 rifle is marked/formally known as a Zastava Arms M59 carbine even though it's colloquially termed an SKS.

The N.Korean, E.German and Albanian Simonov-pattern rifles also appear to be described by "non-SKS" terms/models (I just don't have 'em at hand).

If you were to comply with 922(r) Fed "domestic parts count"/"nonsporting" rifle regulations the Yugo M59 and the E. German & Albanian Simonov rifles could be equipped with detachable mag.

Of course, that'd be crappy - since you're taking a perfectly good rifle and mangling it with Tapco parts.

If you want a 7.62x39 rifle with a detachable magazine, go get an off-list Saiga.

We don't need another son-of-Harrott case to fight; things are good enough now.

wash
04-07-2009, 12:10 AM
I was actually thinking about the SBR possibilities of a C&R weapon.

I don't think there are any C&R, semi-auto, off list AK's and C&R off list AR's are unobtanium. SKS or Yugo M59 are common and cheap so it got me thinking...

I'm sure it's not a good idea and I certainly don't want to be son-of-Harrott, I just can't think of anything affordable that would be cool to SBR.

Quiet
04-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I was actually thinking about the SBR possibilities of a C&R weapon.

I don't think there are any C&R, semi-auto, off list AK's and C&R off list AR's are unobtanium. SKS or Yugo M59 are common and cheap so it got me thinking...

I'm sure it's not a good idea and I certainly don't want to be son-of-Harrott, I just can't think of anything affordable that would be cool to SBR.

C&R SBR still have to comply with CA assault weapons laws.

A semi-auto centerfire C&R SBR needs to have an OAL of 30+", or else it will be an unregistered assault weapon.

So, unless your C&R semi-auto centerfire rifle is also a registered assault weapon, it's not worth it to make it into a C&R SBR.