PDA

View Full Version : Inheriting handguns questions

dogpopper
04-06-2009, 4:34 PM
Does anyone know when these laws took effect?.....http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124237

My father died in 2000, was I supposed to register these guns to myself?
Most of his hand guns were purchased way before registration was required, do they now need to be registered? My mother is also still living would the guns need to be registered if she kept possesion of them? If yes, would that include the ones that were never registered before? Any help we be appriciated...

Thank you

hawk81
04-06-2009, 4:54 PM
Don't worry about it.

DDT
04-06-2009, 5:16 PM
You were supposed to register them within 60 days of receipt. You should do something to make these guns legal. Otherwise if you are ever caught with them you will need to remember what lie to tell. I think that Bill Wiess has recommended filling out a voluntary registration form and DO NOT LIE on it. Supposedly the DOJ is more interested in getting handguns on the books than they are in chasing down accidental felons. I am not sure how they'd handle the Statute of Limitations on these.

Any long guns are a total non-issue.

hawk1
04-06-2009, 8:06 PM
Use this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)

Fill it out and list your mother as giving the firearms to you.

Keep in mind, she just gave them to you. So your good to go...

Army
04-07-2009, 9:42 AM
Your Dad gave them to you 20 years ago.....

Don't worry about it. Go shoot.

DDT
04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Please don't commit a felony for a couple handguns. And please don't commit perjury either. Either comfortably fill out an OpLaw form and just tell the truth or contact one of the lawyers who advertise here and they can help you out for an hours work or so.

dogpopper
04-07-2009, 3:39 PM
Thanks for the replies,
Another thing I didn't mention, All the guns are still stored in a safe at my mothers house. Judging by your replies, I am good to go, until I actually take possession and move them to my residence.