PDA

View Full Version : FFL01 application

FluorideInMyWater
04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
has fingerprint charts on them. do i do them myself or do i have to go to someone who is "qualified" to do them?

after i pay my 200 for the license is there much more overhead i shold know about when getting myself into this ? :)

domokun
04-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes there is a lot more. City and State business permits. CA DOJ approval + COE w/Live Scan. If you're getting an 01 FFL, you'll also need a business location that is in a properly zoned area.

PolishMike
04-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Worry about city and state laws before worrying about the federal stuff. Make sure it is even possible to get an FFL in your area. You now IIRC have to have a storefront. No more "kitchen table" FFLs in CA.

halifax
04-06-2009, 4:44 AM
Worry about city and state laws before worrying about the federal stuff. Make sure it is even possible to get an FFL in your area. You now IIRC have to have a storefront. No more "kitchen table" FFLs in CA.

Local stuff first! or you are just wasting your time and money.

A store front is not necessary on the Federal or State levels but you must be in the business of selling guns with regular business hours. Local laws may require it though.

Good luck.

OCArmory
04-06-2009, 6:02 AM
Kitchen table FFL's are still possible. It has just become harder to get local business licenses for a residence. Fringerprint cards are to be done by someone who is certified. I know it's BS anyone can roll a print. I know for me I couldn't get any of my local licenses until I had my FFL. Talk about rolling the dice.
Mike

glbtrottr
04-06-2009, 6:12 AM
How much different are Laguna Beach from Laguna Hills for kitchen table FFLs? Curious....

Untamed1972
04-06-2009, 8:01 AM
Kitchen table FFL's are still possible. It has just become harder to get local business licenses for a residence. Fringerprint cards are to be done by someone who is certified. I know it's BS anyone can roll a print. I know for me I couldn't get any of my local licenses until I had my FFL. Talk about rolling the dice.
Mike

Yes, anyone can roll them, but anytime you go to an official fingerprinter like your local PD, they're checking your ID signing/certifying that the person's prints they put on the card is also the same person's name who is on it.

OCArmory
04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I chose Laguna Hills very carefully. They didn't have and zoneing. Everything for the most part is zoned multi use. Also they had no business license just a use permit. There was no way they could deny me because of the nature of my business. There are some residences in Laguna Beach that are zone for business but i would check with city hall.
Mike

artherd
04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
... is there much more overhead i shold know about when getting myself into this ? :)

Uh, yes...

rbetts
04-06-2009, 4:21 PM
has fingerprint charts on them. do i do them myself or do i have to go to someone who is "qualified" to do them?

after i pay my 200 for the license is there much more overhead i shold know about when getting myself into this ? :)

The ATF was here today and issued my number on the spot. Can't use it until it goes live though. Took only 4 weeks from the time I sent it in.

Don't forget about the CA DOJ fees to get on their list. 95 dollars plus 20 per employee. Issuing HSC's?, don't forget about buying the certs. They are 15bucks a piece and you have to buy 10 at a time. Oh and you have to be certified as an instructor. Anywhere from $50-200 bucks for that. Got a safe? How about a card reader to scan DROS. That'll set you back another $56 bucks or so.

Use your local PD for the fingerprints. They usually have a community office staffed by volunteers that can do your 4 cards of fingerprinting for cheap.

Got a website? How about inventory? the list goes on. Good luck!!