PDA

View Full Version : GSG 22 round rebuild kit legality

sned45
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Saw a for sale thread of a GSG with 22 round rebuild magazine kits.

I know it's not illegal to possess standard capacity magazines, but it doesn't take a GED to figure out there is no way you owned the magazine before the ban thus they had to be imported into the state.

Not sure how it can be legal to own a standard capacity magazine for a firearm that is so new.

TZL
04-05-2009, 10:52 PM
well you could take the rebuild kit and make them into pernament 10 rounders, can't use a 22 rounder though

Saigon1965
04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Lots of guys here have out of state properties -

gotgunz
04-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Lots of guys here have out of state properties -

It is so much nicer out of state! :D

sned45
04-05-2009, 11:30 PM
well you could take the rebuild kit and make them into pernament 10 rounders, can't use a 22 rounder though

Didn't think about that..

Not saying what this guy is doing is wrong as lots of people do have out of state properties.

Would it be legal to own a standard cap magazine for such a new rifle in the state of CA?

sigsauer887
04-06-2009, 3:39 AM
I think most of these guys just keep the magazines disassembled until they go out of state so they can have some extra fun with their GSG-5's

LOW2000
04-06-2009, 7:48 PM
If you find it, and keep it, you didn't break any laws.

DDT
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Would it be legal to own a standard cap magazine for such a new rifle in the state of CA?

No, but it is legal to own the disassembled parts even if the magazine is a new design not mfg. before 2000.

domokun
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
If the magazine for the gun did not exist prior to 1/1/2000, then your only options are as follows:

Permanently modify a rebuild kit into a magazine that holds no more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
Leave the magazine disassembled while in CA and only use it when you're out of state.

There are no other viable alternatives out there besides these two that I know of.

If you find it, and keep it, you didn't break any laws.

It's hard to argue that you found it or had it before the ban if the magazine didn't exist prior to 1/1/2000. Please do not infer that committing a crime just to get a large-capacity magazine is an act that is worth risking your second amendment rights on. Rebuild kits on the other hand are perfectly legal to have as long as you're using them for a legal purpose with a legal outcome.

LOW2000
04-06-2009, 10:34 PM
If the magazine for the gun did not exist prior to 1/1/2000, then your only options are as follows:

Permanently modify a rebuild kit into a magazine that holds no more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
Leave the magazine disassembled while in CA and only use it when you're out of state.

There are no other viable alternatives out there besides these two that I know of.

It's hard to argue that you found it or had it before the ban if the magazine didn't exist prior to 1/1/2000. Please do not infer that committing a crime just to get a large-capacity magazine is an act that is worth risking your second amendment rights on. Rebuild kits on the other hand are perfectly legal to have as long as you're using them for a legal purpose with a legal outcome.

If I find a magazine today, for say an FN Five-Seven, have I violated anything below?

Effective January 1, 2000, SB 23 generally prohibits, the manufacture, import, sale, giving or lending of large capacity magazines (defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but does not include .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding devices)

DDT
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
only violates credulity not any statute.

domokun
04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
If I find a magazine today, for say an FN Five-Seven, have I violated anything below?

No, but I was referencing the frequent posts by others who "encourage" people to "find" magazines. You either had them before the ban or you didn't. If you really did find such a magazine, go buy a lottery ticket because it's your lucky day. :)