PDA

View Full Version : Dog training with blank pistol city limits

problemchild
04-05-2009, 9:07 PM
I live in Long Beach and train my dog in a big field in a neighboring city. Is it legal to use a blank pistol to condition him to guns? He points at pigeons in the field I train him in. I want to allow the birds to fly and the dog to run and after so many feet I discharge the blank pistol (starter gun).

Is this legal?
If so should I call the city PD and give them a heads up?

domokun
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Discharging a firearm, even with blanks is usually prohibited within city limits. Please check with your local city and county ordinances to verify if this is the case in your situation.

Untamed1972
04-06-2009, 9:12 AM
I'd bet you'd have several PD weapons pointed at you in short order if you tried it. They're not gonna know it's loaded with blanks.....all they're gonna know is "man with gun firing off rounds."

If you wanna train hunting dogs you should live in another state.

problemchild
04-06-2009, 9:50 AM
Its not a gun its a blank/starter pistol. Like I said I could call and give them a heads up as well.

Does anyone know the law on starter pistols NON-GUNS that are not capable of shooting live ammo?

Please dont post your "Opinion" and "Theory" only the facts/law are what im looking for here.

Moving out of state to train a dog is plain stupid. Plenty of people here hunt and train dogs. Why not MOVE out of state to own an assault rifle?

Untamed1972
04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Its not a gun its a blank/starter pistol. Like I said I could call and give them a heads up as well.

Does anyone know the law on starter pistols NON-GUNS that are not capable of shooting live ammo?

Please dont post your "Opinion" and "Theory" only the facts/law are what im looking for here.

Moving out of state to train a dog is plain stupid. Plenty of people here hunt and train dogs. Why not MOVE out of state to own an assault rifle?

Well since you're asking people who live ALL over about specific laws in YOUR city...what kind of answers do you think you're gonna get. Go ask the PD in your city smartass since they're the ones who are gonna get the "man with a gun call" and the ones pointing their guns at you! Tell me.....do you do your grocery shopping at the hardware store too?

Since it ain't gonna be one of us responding to the call who cares what we think. I'd be asking the COPs in my neighbor for THEIR "opinion and theory" since they will be ones deciding whether or not to haul your butt to jail or not.

There is alotta things that make worth moving out of this state an attractive prospect......like not being able to own things everyone else can, or having to go to great lengths to shoot, or train your dogs or whatever, unlike places where you can go out in your backyard and do it no one would care.

You want a simple no nonsense answer to your OP "GO ASK THE COPs IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD."

If it was me.....I wouldn't even think about doing such a thing, ESPECIALLY in someplace like Long Beach, without talking to them directly, and I wouldn't ask anyone less than a patrol sgt. and if he said it was ok, I'd make sure and get his name for future reference.

xLusi0n
04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
People have been shot by cops mistakening a cell phone for a gun. You want to take that chance?

sorensen440
04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Might be legal but you would probably be better off outside of city limits

SmokinMr2
04-06-2009, 10:14 AM

The "FACT" is the PD will shoot your dog first, then you.
If you want law, go to a law site.
http://www.google.com/search?q=law+sites&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Casual_Shooter
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Take this for what it's worth...

There are clubs that train dogs for Schutzhund. One of the things they do is use a starters pistol (or similar) to simulate gun shots to check for the dogs' reactions.

Perhaps you could find a club that is holding training and coordinate your training at the same time.

sorensen440
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
The "FACT" is the PD will shoot your dog first, then you.
If you want law, go to a law site.
http://www.google.com/search?q=law+sites&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1
Actually if you want firearms law you are at the right site

Riodog
04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
It's not legal in 99% of the cities without an exemption. Such as a dog training business or whatever. Discharge of a firearm encompasses anything that uses a charge to accomplish it's goal. The only thing that I've ever seen that was a 'non-issue' was a stud gun that sets nails into concrete. I've not used it in a park or across the street from a courthouse either.
Rio

Untamed1972
04-06-2009, 10:44 AM

But there are a couple of issues to look at here:

1) State law

2) Local law

and most importantly

3) Local LEO response to man with what appears to be a gun firing rounds in the city.

If it was me.....#3 would be of the most concern to me.....hence the reason the best place to go for accurate info would be the PD for the area you want to train in. Cuz even if it's legal.....it still don't mean you won't find yourself on the business end of a LEOs duty weapon.

And come on OP be reasonable....do you really think you're going to be able to rip off rounds, blanks or not, in Long Beach and NOT have someone call the COPs on you?

Do you think the COPs will let it slide cuz you call and tell them first? Sounds like a convenient cover story for someone wanting to commit a gun crime and not have the COPs show up. Not saying that is your intent....but you hafta look at it from their perspective. This ain't podunkville where they'll respond with "Ah....that's just ole so-and-so trainin' his dog, don't pay no never-mind to him." It's friggin' Long Beach my man!!!

wildcard
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Ha. I like that. Worst comes to worse.. pick up a .22 driven nail gun from Home Depot and do some "construction" in the training field :)

doran4x
04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Go to an outdoor range like Oaktree or Moore and Moore next to Angeles range. Get your dog used to the sound of guns going off little by little, moving her closer to the line as she gets used to it. Then just walk her back and forth behind the line. If you want to train her for birds start with dummies, throwing them out and having her return them to you.

domokun
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Go to an outdoor range like Oaktree or Moore and Moore next to Angeles range. Get your dog used to the sound of guns going off little by little, moving her closer to the line as she gets used to it. Then just walk her back and forth behind the line. If you want to train her for birds start with dummies, throwing them out and having her return them to you.

You can rent a private range at Burro Canyon and do all your training there without all the legal issues associated with discharging a firearm within an incorporated area and "man with a gun" police calls.

megavolt121
04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't know the laws of your city, but I do know that with all the shootings in the news recently, both citizens and cops would be very wary when they approach any situation with firearms or gunshot sounds. You might be completely in the clear from a legal standpoint, but from a current social/practical standpoint, you're just asking to be shown the business end of a cop's sidearm.

Untamed1972
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
You might be completely in the clear from a legal standpoint, but from a current social/practical standpoint, you're just asking to be shown the business end of a cop's sidearm.

And the bore of a .40cal duty weapon looks pretty damn big when it's pointed at you.....I don't care who you are! :25:

problemchild
04-06-2009, 1:06 PM
Well I thought someone might know the answer. I will call the cypress PD and ask about starter pistols.

ON edit:

Cypess PD watch commander stated "It is legal and call us first"

Nuff said I guess. Checkmate!

Cypress Police Department
www.ci.cypress.ca.us

5275 Orange Ave
Cypress, CA 90630
(714) 229-6600
Get directions

Untamed1972
04-06-2009, 1:12 PM
Again....you need to not only be concerned with the legality but also PD response to something they might determine to be legal after the fact. Only they can answer that.

DDT
04-06-2009, 1:42 PM
Well I thought someone might know the answer. I will call the cypress PD and ask about starter pistols.

ON edit:

Cypress Police Department
www.ci.cypress.ca.us

5275 Orange Ave
Cypress, CA 90630
(714) 229-6600
Get directions

Excellent news. And assuming you call first they can notify the petrified neighbor who calls.

Untamed1972
04-06-2009, 1:43 PM

ON edit:

Well...see how easy it is when you buy your hardware at the hardware store?

I'm quite suprised they said yes though. I'd still be pretty cautious about it myself, make sure you keep that watch commander's name handy for future reference. Have fun dog training!

Sam1
04-06-2009, 3:06 PM
I'd play it safe and use a cap gun and even then you might get shot lol

Aldemar
04-06-2009, 3:38 PM
If you live in the Cypress area, just hop on over to Prado....there have specific areas set up for dog training. No problem with a blank gun there. With any luck, you may run into a club that is having a "Fun Day" and will allow you to enter your dog in a field or retrieving trial.

With all the LEO's that have been shot lately, I would not even attempt to use anything that goes "bang" even if it's OK with the local PD....remember it seems most LEO's are not too clear on firearms regulations.

Al

SmokinMr2
04-06-2009, 4:09 PM

Actually, he seems like he just wants to argue and is asking what his city PD will do, so...not so much...:rolleyes:

problemchild
04-06-2009, 4:32 PM
Excellent news. And assuming you call first they can notify the petrified neighbor who calls.

Its in an industrial neighborhood so that should not be an issue. I will stop by the PD office and introduce myself as well as get the watch commanders name for "just in case" type citu.

problemchild
04-06-2009, 7:12 PM
Actually, he seems like he just wants to argue and is asking what his city PD will do, so...not so much...:rolleyes:

Not to be a d i c k but this was your first post and I will let the lurkers decide who is who.

"The "FACT" is the PD will shoot your dog first, then you.
If you want law, go to a law site."