PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre article on MSNBC

squishyhead
04-05-2009, 7:21 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30046195

I can't remember ever reading an article like this on MSNBC, that doesn't hold guns responsible for everything that's wrong with this country!

Pvt. Cowboy
04-05-2009, 8:21 AM
From the article:

Put aside for a moment the debate over guns. This isn't about policy. It's about asking the urgent question: What is happening in the American psyche that prevents people from defusing their own anguish and rage before they end the lives of others? Why are we killing each other?

Oh, gosh. I dunno. How about bringing back the booby hatch where an unstable wacko could be committed to a mental institution. We've replaced them with prisons in the modern age. How about the fostered 'instant gratification/entitlement' society we've spawned where people believe that they have rights which don't exist? What about entire legions of underclass urban rabble who shun education, humiliate those who better themselves within their community, proffer 'Don't snitch' and 'keep it real' and emulate the trash they see in their entertainers? Don't forget our national stupification based on doping children with prescription drugs and the hollow praise that everyone is a uniquely special snowflake. Never mind the death of hard work and easily pointed fingers of blame when you don't succeed the first time so you might as well just end it all right now and take some of those bastards with you. We can thank pop culture nitwitism for all of the blowback associated with the soft, fat, easy, dumb, fearful, poisonous, amoral, and manipulative groupthink culture that we've shaped within our society of never ending excuses, facilitation, and perpetually lowered standards.

As if there wasn't going to be blowback from all of this. Why, everyone's just shocked! How could this happen?

RP1911
04-05-2009, 9:17 AM
On Friday, the federal government announced that 663,000 Americans lost their jobs in March. What's truly unsettling in America's new era of gloom and dead ends is wondering how many of those 663,000 might be deeply, irrevocably angry about it — and might have a gun.

Yup, 'underhanded' way to bring in the gun issue. The article could have ended with "-and might have intent to kill." Thereby focusing on the act rather than the implement.

RaceDay
04-05-2009, 12:19 PM
From the article:

Oh, gosh. I dunno. How about bringing back the booby hatch where an unstable wacko could be committed to a mental institution. We've replaced them with prisons in the modern age. How about the fostered 'instant gratification/entitlement' society we've spawned where people believe that they have rights which don't exist? What about entire legions of underclass urban rabble who shun education, humiliate those who better themselves within their community, proffer 'Don't snitch' and 'keep it real' and emulate the trash they see in their entertainers? Don't forget our national stupification based on doping children with prescription drugs and the hollow praise that everyone is a uniquely special snowflake. Never mind the death of hard work and easily pointed fingers of blame when you don't succeed the first time so you might as well just end it all right now and take some of those bastards with you. We can thank pop culture nitwitism for all of the blowback associated with the soft, fat, easy, dumb, fearful, poisonous, amoral, and manipulative groupthink culture that we've shaped within our society of never ending excuses, facilitation, and perpetually lowered standards.

As if there wasn't going to be blowback from all of this. Why, everyone's just shocked! How could this happen?

+1 to that. Unfortunately, it should not comes as a shock that bad things occur when society is in a race to the bottom?

YoungGun2
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
You beat me to it I just posted the something....

It really ticks me off when people instigate issues, this is just in general and I believe this is mostly a universal feeling that most people have. I hate fact that the media needs a good shock factor for every story, and the more carnage the better. Yet when it gets to bloody the media stands back and points the finger at anything or anyone that will draw the attention away from them and there constant provoking. And then they preach about how we need to all come together.

For any branch of the media to post the head line “Has America become numb to tragedy?” is just outright bull.

squishyhead
04-05-2009, 2:13 PM
Pvt. Cowboy, that is probably the most well thought/intelligent paragraph I've ever read on this website. No offense to others who post good comments, but DAMN!!! +1 trillion to that:thumbsup:

JerryM
04-05-2009, 8:12 PM
Damn good answer. +100

You are hereby promoted to CPL Cowboy.

Thank you for putting into words, what I feel.

till44
04-05-2009, 10:36 PM
From the article:

:thumbsup:

SJgunguy24
04-05-2009, 11:13 PM
From the article:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I lived in group homes for a few years in my teenage years. I was the only kid who wasn't a "minority".
We were spoon fed that "world owes you" crap. If life gets tough than work harder, don't blame "the system, the world, the man" for problems that have been self created.

Ya OK I know not everyone grows up on the "right side of the tracks".
You may have lived in a drug/gang infested hood but dispense with the B.S.
A choice was made.......now live with it or change it. Only one person is responsible for their lives.

My son asked me why I never joined a gang when I was growing up. Never felt I had to. I had to fight 3-4 guys everyday just to be myself....in 8th grade. Not the best way to grow up but I did learn a few things. Self reliance and fighting for what I believe is right is way better than becoming a sheep.

dfletcher
04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Can you imagine, it wasn't all that long ago when people were responsible enough to actually order guns through the mail for delivery direct to their front door - no mass murders on the scale we have today. I can recall when sensational murders were 3 women killed at Starved Rock or Manson or Speck or Charles Whitman. I think those events would be on the news for about 5 minutes if they occured today.

dfletcher
04-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Don't forget our national stupification based on doping children with prescription drugs and the hollow praise that everyone is a uniquely special snowflake. Never mind the death of hard work and easily pointed fingers of blame when you don't succeed the first time so you might as well just end it all right now and take some of those bastards with you. We can thank pop culture nitwitism for all of the blowback associated with the soft, fat, easy, dumb, fearful, poisonous, amoral, and manipulative groupthink culture that we've shaped within our society of never ending excuses, facilitation, and perpetually lowered standards.

I blame T ball. No pitcher or catcher, no leader, no keeping score and no winner to applaud or loser to chastise. No striking out, no effort to excel. :rolleyes:

I may be a bit off on my T ball details, was dragged to one or two games by a friend whose kid was playing.

Actually, there's a book out there (can't recall the name) promoting the theory that the Pill (introduced in 1960) is in large part responsible for much of modern society's problems. We have fewer kids & because of that, each one is indeed seen as "precious" so we protect the heck out of them with helmets and seatbelts food warnings and put as high priority their self esteem so they will become successful.

snowboarder
04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
It's a sign of a diseased society that is slowly rotting.

The Roman empire rotted from within long before they were finally defeated on the battlefield.

SB