PDA

View Full Version : Legal documenation on magazine rebuild kits

ChillyWilly
04-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I need some mags and unfortunately for me they only make 30 rounders for the VZ-58. I found a guy who has some for a good price but he is just a plain ol joe (as in not a shop) like me and knows nothing of California laws. He would like some sort of documentation that states that sending disassembled mags (rebuild kits) to Cali is legal. I already have one mag that I have riveted to 10 rounds and this is what I intend to do with these others that I want to buy from him but unfortunately and understandably these days a mans word doesn't mean anything so I need to give him some ??? legal documentation that says sending rebuild kits is okay. Can anyone help me? Point me in the right direction? Perhaps a link to Calif law? Thanks in advance for your guys help.

Jerry

rabagley
04-05-2009, 12:07 AM
That's not the way laws work, in general. The laws say what is illegal. The rest is legal.

It is illegal to import or manufacture a new high capacity magazine in California. There is no mention of magazine parts in the law which would make any group of separate magazine parts illegal. Only importing or manufacturing a functioning magazine is illegal.

Now, one thing that might reassure him is that you would be the importer. The shipper is not the responsible party, it's the recipient of the package that might be importing something illegal. But I don't have the references into California law handy, so perhaps someone else can provide that.

DDT
04-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Same law that says it's legal to send T-shirts in from other states.

cj cake
04-05-2009, 2:32 AM
I have a PDF for you! PM sent

jas000
04-05-2009, 8:15 AM
See Q3 and A3 in this document:

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf