PDA

View Full Version : D.C. Grasping at Straws ?

Ding126
04-04-2009, 3:51 PM
Ensign gun control plan makes nation's capital vulnerable to terrorist attack, critics say

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090403/NEWS18/90403050/1321/NEWS

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090403/NEWS18/90403009/1321/NEWS

D.C. police chief to testify against Sen. John Ensign amendment easing gun control
April 3, 2009

Read Comments(15)RecommendPrint this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
Facebook
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
Buzz up!Twitter
WASHINGTON (AP) — D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier and other law enforcement officials are scheduled to testify on Capitol Hill about the dangers of an amendment that would weaken the city’s gun laws.

Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., has attached the amendment to a bill that would give D.C. its first full vote in Congress. Among other things, the amendment would repeal the city’s restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and gun registration requirements.

Friday morning’s hearing comes as Democratic leaders strategize on how to move the voting rights legislation forward in the House.

The amendment has voting-rights advocates in a bind. If gun language remains in the bill, there’s concern it might be killed by lawmakers who favor gun control. But taking out the amendment could erode support from gun-rights Democrats.

bwiese
04-04-2009, 3:56 PM
This is actually too bad. Ensign's a good guy but he needs to think.

It would actually be helpful for us for this NOT TO BE FIXED by legislation.

We need to take down DC gun laws in the courts - anything stupid DC does can go straight to the Supremes.

I esp want DC's Roster to go down.

yellowfin
04-04-2009, 8:47 PM
DC getting OC or CCW would be even better.

nicki
04-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, it may be that maybe our elected officials don't want anymore court precedents favoring gun rights.

Alan Guru has filed another lawsuit against DC since they cut and pasted SB15.

Consider this, Alan clobbers DC again and around the same time we get Nordyke.

Nicki

Gray Peterson
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
DC getting OC or CCW would be even better.

It'll be worked on. This sort of thing generally takes time to peel the potato.

hoffmang
04-04-2009, 11:12 PM
We busted our butts to get the DC Roster case together, but on balance I'd rather have DC out of the gun control business all together. It has an amusement factor, but we don't lose much (and may gain certain things) to have DC stripped of gun control capabilities.

-Gene

lioneaglegriffin
04-05-2009, 12:27 AM
We busted our butts to get the DC Roster case together, but on balance I'd rather have DC out of the gun control business all together. It has an amusement factor, but we don't lose much (and may gain certain things) to have DC stripped of gun control capabilities.

-Gene

we can Pimp DC's stupidy only so much is guess. Plus all those poor people in DC who need to protect themselves. It would be nice for all 50 states to improve 2Awise but they need their rights sooner than later

SimpleCountryActuary
04-05-2009, 8:24 PM
Ensign gun control plan

The amendment has voting-rights advocates in a bind. If gun language remains in the bill, there’s concern it might be killed by lawmakers who favor gun control. But taking out the amendment could erode support from gun-rights Democrats.

I think Ensign deliberately inserted his amendment as a "poison pill" to both kill this unconstitutional award of a House seat to a Dem and to keep the National focus on D.C.'s continuing to flout the Law of the Land (i.e. the U.S. Constitution in regards Heller).

Sic 'em, Ensign! :thumbsup:

Bugei
04-06-2009, 9:40 AM

-Gene

I like DC doing these things. The Supremes are likely to be interested in what DC does with guns, having previously reviewed their actions and spanked them. If the Supremes slap down their registration, their assault weapon regulations and/or their stinking "safety roster", all we would need is a good Nordyke decision to clear those out in California, too. It's just so convenient that they cut-and-pasted California law.

I think DC is a better test bed, given a good Nordyke; they're even more knee-jerky than our legislature, if such a thing were possible.