PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Ban Magazines

phatmax2
04-04-2009, 5:37 AM
Can someone in CA buy pre-ban AR15 30 round magazines?

AJAX22
04-04-2009, 6:01 AM
Not if they are assembled (unless they have a high cap mag permit)

they are allowed to buy them disassembled however as 'magazine repair kits'

Paul
04-04-2009, 6:57 AM
So the answer is a qualified yes. They are completely legal to own as long as you had them prior to the Jan 2000 ban inside of California. Once owned you can repair and replace parts on them up to and touching everything. I have a number of pre-ban 20-round and 30-round magazines which had feed-lip problems. Replace the magazine body was easy and while I was in there I replaced the springs too.

phatmax2
04-04-2009, 7:02 AM
Thanks for the information

OC_Gunman
04-04-2009, 9:59 AM
Just note that if you did not own high-capacity magazines before the 2000 ban, there is no reason for you to import repair parts for them. If you did not own high-capacity magazines before the ban, you never will (under current law).

I state it so starkly because that is the crappy state of the law :mad:, and to ward off folks who think they're being clever :shifty: by importing "repair parts" for magazines they don't already legally own. Dopes who do so :iamwithstupid:, and get caught (which is more likely than you may think, if you purchase by mail :sweatdrop: ), elevate the risk of authorities taking note and ruining we legal possessors' :innocent: ability to repair our magazines.:TFH:

Edited to Add: Maybe there are some creative exceptions. Just be sure your creative exception doesn't end up being too clever by half.

bohoki
04-04-2009, 10:02 AM
someone can buy them if you can find a person that can legally sell them

Frijolito1988
04-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Just note that if you did not own high-capacity magazines before the 2000 ban, there is no reason for you to import repair parts for them. If you did not own high-capacity magagines before the ban, you never will (under current law).

I state it so starkly because that is the crappy state of the law, and to ward off folks who think they're being clever by importing "repair parts" for magazines they don't already legally own.

even if people NEVER owned any pre ban magazines they can still buy rebuild kits , ..its just that. rebuild kits. they can

a. Rebuild old magazines

b. Rebuild them into 10 rounders

c. Keep them dissasembled and assemble them when out of state

sorensen440
04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Just note that if you did not own high-capacity magazines before the 2000 ban, there is no reason for you to import repair parts for them. If you did not own high-capacity magagines before the ban, you never will (under current law).

I state it so starkly because that is the crappy state of the law, and to ward off folks who think they're being clever by importing "repair parts" for magazines they don't already legally own.

c. Keep them dissasembled and assemble them when out of state
Exactly
I keep a few xd mags disassembled while in state and pop them together when I get out of state
Parts are just parts

phatmax2
04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I understand that, being from NY. Nothing can be shipped into the state that is over 10 rounds, unless it is pre-ban.

dogpopper
04-04-2009, 3:25 PM
I have some pre-ban M-14 20 round magazines brand new still in military wrappers & plastic bags. Can I legally sell these out of state?

sorensen440
04-04-2009, 3:26 PM
I have some pre-ban M-14 20 round magazines brand new still in military wrappers & plastic bags. Can I legally sell these out of state?
Yes as long as they are legal in the state you are selling them in

why would you want to sell them ?

dogpopper
04-04-2009, 3:32 PM
I have more than I need. Just want to make sure I'm not breaking a CA law by selling them.

Sheldon
04-04-2009, 3:38 PM
You can sell them disassembled to someone in California as well. Why not sell local instead.....by the way, what are you looking to get?:confused:

dogpopper
04-04-2009, 3:45 PM
I saw them goin for $50 apiece on GunBroker.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/dogpopper/for%20sale/mag3.jpg

Quiet
04-04-2009, 7:12 PM
Pre-'94 ban magazines sell for $$$$ over what they are normally worth in places like NY.

For example...
A pre-'94 ban Glock magazine still sell for around $100 in NY.
So, if you owned some pre-'94 ban Glock magazines and had no need for them, you could sell them to people in NY for more than what you could sell them (as magazine parts) for to people in CA.