PDA

View Full Version : building AR-15 questions

USMC-0321
04-03-2009, 6:59 PM
Ok so I'm sure you guys get these questions all the time, but it's hard to find answers. I did an online search i attempt to find cal laws. Maybe I'm a retard, but the stuff is hard to find because you have to sift through all kinds of stuff, and still then I didn't learn everything I wanted to know.

Ok so what are the CA laws as far as what I can build/have here?

I know barrel length is 16 inches or more, and mag's have to be 10 round or less.

Compensators?
Pistol grips?
fixed or semi fixed mag realease?

what else should I know?

When I'm buying parts, what do I have to fill out a dros on?

Also what if any documentation should I carry on me when transporting?

I'm a vet, and I have my reserve ID, but I know that it really doesn'y change anything, just shows the police, I'm not some crazy yahoo....wait a minute....ok but you get the point.

Also what new fun and exciting laws can we expect to come next?

Thanks for any information you guys can share with me, I would really love to have betsy back, but are colts even allowed here?

Anyway thanks in advance,

Andy

ad6mj
04-03-2009, 7:08 PM
welcome and thanks for your service. This link has some good info dor starters:
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

yellowfin
04-03-2009, 7:26 PM
Bullet button for the mag release, 10 round mag, 16" or longer, and no happy switch or cans. Colts are on the list, so no good. For a good lower I'd go with Anvil Arms.

ad6mj
04-03-2009, 7:38 PM
Bullet button for the mag release, 10 round mag, 16" or longer, and no happy switch or cans.
Or, featureless standard mag release and any legally possessed magazine.

DDT
04-03-2009, 8:05 PM
Or, featureless standard mag release and any legally possessed magazine.

Which then brings up what is "featureless" and are my magazines legally possessed. The point of yellowfin's response was to give a very easy way for the OP to understand a configuration that is perfectly legal and relatively easy to grasp.

I'm sure the links provided will help with the details about "what features are prohibited" etc.

There is also an "OLL assembly guide" link in the header of this and every page on the forum. OLL means "Off List Lower" and is a way of referring to lower receivers that are "clones" of receivers on the California "Assault Weapon" list.

So, you can't own a Colt AR-15 because it is listed in California Statute as an "Assault Weapon" but an Anvil Arms lower that is functionally the same can be legally possessed without an assault weapon permit.

sac550
04-04-2009, 9:28 AM
Make sure your overall length is more then 30 inches or you run into 12276.1a(3).

fullrearview
04-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Make sure you show up at the capitol on the 15th so we can take our contry back!

fixed it for you!!!:thumbsup:

CHS
04-04-2009, 1:09 PM
Why hasn't anyone posted this yet?

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

wildhawker
04-04-2009, 6:58 PM
There is much information here at Calguns, as bdsmchs pointed out. Please search through the Rifleman's Forum, where these types of questions are asked and answered almost daily. Best of luck in your builds, and stay legal.