PDA

View Full Version : Calgun media relations speakers.

nicki
04-03-2009, 12:45 PM
We have alot of smart, intelligent people on this board.

I propose we consider doing the following.

We develop our own media relations pack, what our people will say to the media. This will require alot of input, but the end result is we can develop packages so that our package doesn't create ONE DIMENSIONAL SPEAKERS.

We then have Calguns regional meetups and workshops to see who we have in different parts of the state and see if we can find people who are willing to be spokespersons in the first place.

Then we need to have vett out our speakers. Basically we find those of us who are masochists and a group of us plays evil reporters and hammers them with all sorts of questions.

We video tape the things and do playback. Hell, have some beers and make it fun. We should get alot of laughs out of this, while at the same time, it would be very contructive for our speakers.

Once this is done, then what we should consider is holding shoots for the press, in short, we invite members of the local press for say a shoot and barbeque.

What we ask them is for is a day of a truce, just to have fun. What this does is allows them to see us as humans and what we do is we treat them as humans:rolleyes:

After the event, we give them contact info if they have gun related stories, in other words, they have a accessible local source from our side for their stories.

Police corruption is always newsworthy, do you think any of us on this board would have insight into such activities:TFH:

The first amendment and the second amendment are inter related. As more reporters see that, we will start getting more balanced stories on guns.

Reporters don't trust the government already, we already have seeds planted to flip them to our side already, but it will require work to flip them.

Saul used to persecute Christians to he was blinded by the light, after that, he became Paul, and the rest is history.

Many of our strongest gun rights activists used to be victim disarmanent supporters. Every member of the press we turn our way is probably worth 10,000 or more votes.

Even if we can't change the policy of a paper or TV station, we can divert attention away from us.

When we get good, we may be able to even create news in some parts of the state

Many reporters see themselves as "DO GOODERS". That is something we can use to our advantage if we develop "our people".

Like many of you, I am constantly frustrated when I watch the news and all I see is people like us are responsible for all the problems in the country.

I yell at the TV, hey, it's the stupid drug war when they talk about Mexico.

When they talk about people wigging out, I say, hey, it is government policies that have robbed Americans of their hope and dreams.

Nicki

MontClaire
04-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I am willing to help out in SF bay area. Just tell me when and where.

DDT
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. I don't know if CGN or CGF should really run behind it though. I posted previously that I think CGF should start releasing press releases and essentially start a "positive campaign" for firearms rights.

yellowfin
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
An idea I was kicking around was to work with the NRA and other sources to push for journalism school scholarships to undo some of the antis' recruiting.

wildhawker
04-03-2009, 3:41 PM
If we don't create a "Calguns" voice, someone or something will fill the void.

I tend to prefer choosing my voice and its content than to have it chosen for me.

ptoguy2002
04-03-2009, 5:46 PM
That's a really good idea.

Hopi
04-03-2009, 6:11 PM
If we don't create a "Calguns" voice, someone or something will fill the void.

I tend to prefer choosing my voice and its content than to have it chosen for me.

+1.

Perhaps expensive, but maybe one of the right people, Kilmer et al.....

wilit
04-03-2009, 6:32 PM
An idea I was kicking around was to work with the NRA and other sources to push for journalism school scholarships to undo some of the antis' recruiting.

When my wife first started out in the journalism field, the NSSF sponsored a FREE shooting class to familiarize journalists with the shooting sports and to better aid them in accurate reporting of firearm related stories. Sadly, the NSSF no longer sponsors classes like these, but it was this class that got my wife interested in shooting sports. It'd be nice to see Pro-Gun groups sponsor classes like these.

Musclemom
04-03-2009, 6:47 PM
I think that's a great idea. I always cringe when reporters manage to find the least informed and least articulate person to interview for gun related stories. I saw a terrible interview with some kid who was the "head" of his college's chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. It just about made me cry. The only way to combat that is to send them some articulate, well read folks. I agree, there are plenty of those here on calguns.

RomanDad
04-03-2009, 6:48 PM
I think its a fabulous idea.... Ive done a lot of public speaking and writing on these subjects lately, however, recently I was spontaneously interviewed on camera and TOTALLY had vapor lock.... Brain Freeze.... Cotton Jaw.... In short.... It all went to hell the minute that light came on....

So after that I pledge to not get caught flat footed like that again.

remington
04-03-2009, 6:54 PM
I will support in any way I can in Orange County and Inland Empire. Maybe the local NRA, Ducks Unlimited, Quail Unlimited could assist. Furthermore, regarding money, maybe Bass Pro, Turners, and the local ranges could also be contacted for support. I've never done anything like this but I will assist any way I can.

Remy

Can'thavenuthingood
04-03-2009, 7:38 PM
I think its a fabulous idea.... Ive done a lot of public speaking and writing on these subjects lately, however, recently I was spontaneously interviewed on camera and TOTALLY had vapor lock.... Brain Freeze.... Cotton Jaw.... In short.... It all went to hell the minute that light came on....

So after that I pledge to not get caught flat footed like that again.

Naw, this is flat footed and vapor lock in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojeTr9P7ax4

Vick

RP1911
04-03-2009, 7:39 PM
I like the idea in general. What I envision would be a series of CalGuns educational seminars regarding OLLs and their legality. target the seminar to law enforcement since they tend to be the first line of contact. Iinvite FFLs too.

If it is well received, it can be expanded to DAs and DOJ.

Mazilla
04-03-2009, 7:42 PM
LOL, I thought you guys already had something like this when I asked about it earlier. No wonder I never got the link I was looking for.

wildhawker
04-03-2009, 8:29 PM
Perhaps expensive, but maybe one of the right people, Kilmer et al.....

100% with you here. I'd rather donate a few more dinero to CGF and have Kilmer or the like draw up a press release - or take a call occasionally - on matters of importance or particular relevance than to allow one of the Wrong People to do it for us. This isn't to imply an ultimatum ("Someone qualified speak up or else") per se, but we have seen even here on these boards how some more passionate issues and persons can become the mouthpiece we're not looking for, but quick.

oaklander
04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
LOL - don't let ME do it. I've somehow managed to piss off the only reporter on Calguns!!!!

:)

EDIT: I asked that my original "Please Do Not Talk To The Press" thread be locked. It started to go off topic, and started to lose its usefulness.

nicki
04-04-2009, 1:22 AM
I'm glad you guys support the idea, but of course there will be getting it together.

Public Speaking is the number one phobia, so I don't expect we will get a stampede of people who want to do this.

What I want to emphasis is this will give us local people who can talk to the press or even be guests on local shows.

One thing we need to keep in mind is we have to be flexible because different parts of the state have different political climates. This is why I want local speakers, so that they can adapt to the local political and social climate.

For the most part, our goal should be to have enough people that we can be available from say 5am to 11pm 24/7/365 for comments. Media runs on deadlines.

If we develop a reputation as being the go to guys, we will become the media spokespersons for gun owners because we will be accessible and because the reporters know us.

Deanna Sykes of the Sacramento Pink Pistols was contacted by the Sacramento bee for comments on AB357 last week and the reason she was contacted is because the reporter had done a article on the Sac Pink Pistols a few years back and she had Deana's number.

I don't know if they tried to contact the NRA, but because the reporter knew Deana, Deana was contacted. Deana is not a very political person, she likes to shoot. Even so, I thought the article was balanced.

We got to win in the court of public opinion. Once reporters come to the conclusion that our opponents lie to them, they will turn against them with a vengeance.

Nicki

DDT
04-04-2009, 1:55 AM
I am happy to contribute in anyway you need. I have pretty extensive spokesperson experience.

The thing that we are missing is some sort of support from CGF. I really want to work within the framework here if at all possible.

edwardm
04-04-2009, 4:19 AM
I'll gladly contribute my efforts.

KylaGWolf
04-04-2009, 5:20 PM
Niki I for one think its a wonderful idea. I think that it might actually get some of the public to see that those of us that have guns are not some scary evil person. I would even suggest those of us who have families bring them along to the event to show that side of it too.

SwissFluCase
04-04-2009, 5:41 PM
This is a great idea. I am totally willing to help.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

wildhawker
04-04-2009, 6:59 PM
Niki I for one think its a wonderful idea. I think that it might actually get some of the public to see that those of us that have guns are not some scary evil person. I would even suggest those of us who have families bring them along to the event to show that side of it too.

You sound like you'd like to get involved with a Calguns booth at some point :thumbsup: